• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Devastating news. He's one of the comp's best entertainers. His game against Toowoomba Grammar will live long in the memory.

Yes
I got a laugh when he waved to the crowd in the middle of a big run down the sideline..Lets hope they do not try and rein in his enthusiasm.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Terrace have an Easter camp at Tallebudgera and are off to Lennox Head in July for a camp.

Frank Nicholson (4)
Churchie - Scotland
TGS - NZ
BBC - Straddie training camp _ tour:?
Nudgee - Sunny Coast training camp _ tour:?
TSS - ?
GT - Tallebudgera training camp _ Lennox Head training camp
IGS - ?
BGS - ?
BSHS - ?​

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Gotta hand it o ACGS-always plenty of $$$$ to do what you need to do.

Except for when they don't have plenty of $$ and do it anyway. Ask some Churchie rugby people how the school is still paying back all of the free trips they gifted the scholarship boys of the 2014 side.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
Except for when they don't have plenty of $$ and do it anyway. Ask some Churchie rugby people how the school is still paying back all of the free trips they gifted the scholarship boys of the 2014 side.
I think you and GunGenia are treading on shaky ground here. I would avoid commenting on financials. There is a separate thread for scholarships but I reckon more than one school in Brisbane would help students to attend tours if they are limited financially. Makes it hard to prepare for the season if key players are missing from tours. Plenty of schools throw big dollars at resourcing their rugby programs.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Jets have you got any names/backgrounds/rep histories of the Sunnybank boys joining Terrace?

Have it on good advice that Terrace are skating very close to the " Headmasters Agreement" by making offers to the younger brothers of 2 BBC boys who are RL rep players and will now play under 13 at GT this year when their brothers are in under 15 and open at BBC. I assume BBC could not/ would not match the offers.
I understand emails have been exchanged between schools .

BTW the new number 8 at TSS is a monster .

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Have it on good advice that Terrace are skating very close to the " Headmasters Agreement" by making offers to the younger brothers of 2 BBC boys who are RL rep players and will now play under 13 at GT this year when their brothers are in under 15 and open at BBC. I assume BBC could not/ would not match the offers.
I understand emails have been exchanged between schools .

BTW the new number 8 at TSS is a monster .

Of course he is

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets have you got any names/backgrounds/rep histories of the Sunnybank boys joining Terrace?

No idea King. I left Sunnybank almost 2 years ago, due to a career change, and have little to no contact with the junior club there anymore.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
BTW the new number 8 at TSS is a monster .[/quote]

Let me take a wild guess that he is from Northern NSW and plays league !(same as the TSS number 8 for last 3 years who is now with the Cowboys--and the one before that)

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Good win for Qld under 20 over Brumbies under 20 last night

Mack Mason ( Churchie) and Mclean Jones ( Nudgee)were the pick of the Qlders and Sam Edwards ( BBC)was his zip zip as usual

Darct T/swain ( BBC captain2015)looked like a young John Eales )for Act

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting comparison ( for Darcy Tumua- Swain )

From a style /type of guy he shows the same strong leadership qualities that are based on humility and example

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
JGC QLD teams were announced yesterday. Amongst the 23 selected for the U17 team, 15 are GPS boys. I would assume most of those will be playing 1st XV this year.
U15 have 8 GPS boys in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
JGC QLD teams were announced yesterday. Amongst the 23 selected for the U17 team, 15 are GPS boys. I would assume most of those will be playing 1st XV this year.
U15 have 8 GPS boys in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link or the lists?

Boom Crash

Stan Wickham (3)
I understand emails have been exchanged between schools ."

Is it not the case that the boys are asking to leave BBC. There is allegedly a push at BBC to stop boys playing any club rugby or Rugby League if they are on a scholarship. The Headmasters agreement wouldn't apply in this instance.

Watch this space. Terrace may end up with a number of ex BBC students

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Is it not the case that the boys are asking to leave BBC. There is allegedly a push at BBC to stop boys playing any club rugby or Rugby League if they are on a scholarship. The Headmasters agreement wouldn't apply in this instance.

Watch this space. Terrace may end up with a number of ex BBC students

Actually -I think you are correct.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Stripes, I wouldn't assume that most of the U17s will be playing 1st XV GPS, rather the contrary I would think.
Not being derogatory to the boy's, just when you take the 17 plus brigade and include the talent that didn't play the JGC it will leave very few spaces.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
What is it about the culture at BBC that prevents them from being successful?

In the past few years they have had some good talent and good coaches in Barker and Philpotts but have not been able to threaten. Last years heartbreaking loss to TSS probably robbed them of some good momentum they would have carried in from Sanix but a strong culture would have helped them bounce back.

It seems that there is a lot of discontent about how different players are treated differently. 'Superstars' seem exempt from the hard work that is required of others.

When things don't go well, rather than looking for solutions, the focus seems to be on apportioning blame, which is not constructive. Talk to Barker and Philpotts about that. They now have their 3rd 1st XV coach in three years.

Boys are forced to row, regardless of body shape, because this is considered the only way to get a boy fit and ready for a season of rugby. Little consideration is given to the fact that boys who have body shapes suited to certain positions will suffer from a season in rowing after losing weight they actually need to have an impact. Forcing participation in a sport does little to create enthusiasm and morale.

Stopping them from involvement in league or rugby competitions that probably first brought them to the attention of the school is not going to make a lot of them happy either.

Other schools who seem to be happy to work with players and parents to negotiate fair and reasonable workloads.

I am not surprised to hear some boys may be looking elsewhere.

They have every right to look at other schools whose programs are more successful and whose cultures are more positive.

This should in no way be read as a criticism of the boys themselves. I have no doubt, most of them work their backsides off and are fully committed but those responsible for the program need to reflect and look at ways to improve in order to be more successful and more attractive to better athletes.

This is what Nudgee, TSS and Churchie have done well and it is no surprise they have winning cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.