• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
J Cam Howard is a strong chance at 6. God help the short blind side runners who come his way.. Brilliant footballer

Just wondering if you saw Howard play much last season??
He was injured or didn't play in any of the U15 games I caught.

IMO he doesn't appear to have the same physical presence he had as a 13 - 14 year old and it seems he misses a lot of games. Having not seen him play recently it is always hard to judge but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play more in the 16's than firsts.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just wondering if you saw Howard play much last season??
He was injured or didn't play in any of the U15 games I caught.

IMO he doesn't appear to have the same physical presence he had as a 13 - 14 year old and it seems misses a lot of games. Having not seen him play recently it is always hard to judge but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play more in the 16's than firsts.

Howard is the poster boy for why rowing is bad for your rugby. At least in my opinion anyway. He would have to have done some serious work in the off season to play 6 for GT, but he's also a talent worth developing.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
How's State High shapping up? Several returning players and Qld u18 reps.

Murray Tualagi was a star for them last year and would be better for the experience of 2015 this year. Hope to see a little bit more brains and whereabouts from the extremely talented fullback.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Howard is the poster boy for why rowing is bad for your rugby. At least in my opinion anyway. He would have to have done some serious work in the off season to play 6 for GT, but he's also a talent worth developing.

Yea I agree - I think Lutvey at 6 and someone like Harry Wilson, Wrigley (??) or even Levi White at 8 is where I think they may end up.

H from Bris

Frank Row (1)
I have for sometime believed Howard an exciting option at Loose Head. Will be very interesting to see where the coaches see him. One could also say the same thing about White

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I have for sometime believed Howard an exciting option at Loose Head. Will be very interesting to see where the coaches see him. One could also say the same thing about White

IMO based on his form last year in the 15's White will stay in the back row - was the leading light in the team at 8 - very effective at trucking the ball over the advantage line.

I could be very wrong as I haven't seen him since mid last season but I would have thought Howard would be lucky to be 85 Kg's - I can't see a 80+kg 16 year old in a First 15 frontrow.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
IMO based on his form last year in the 15's White will stay in the back row - was the leading light in the team at 8 - very effective at trucking the ball over the advantage line.

I could be very wrong as I haven't seen him since mid last season but I would have thought Howard would be lucky to be 85 Kg's - I can't see a 80+kg 16 year old in a First 15 frontrow.

Macklin from GT last year was 16 and not much over 85. There are plenty a fit props running around at low weights, especially the shorter guys

Gordie Lucas

Frank Row (1)
Absolute rubbish to suggest that Rowing is detrimental to Rugby development.. History of Joeys in Sydney as the most successful school in Rugby supports that.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Absolute rubbish to suggest that Rowing is detrimental to Rugby development.. History of Joeys in Sydney as the most successful school in Rugby supports that.
Not sure about that. Joeys not a big rowing school (only one 1st VIII Head of the River since early 70s). They have not won a GPS rugby premiership for years. Their rowing has improved and not suggesting a correlation between the two but my understanding is that not that many rowers were successful rugby players. A lot of their successful forwards played basketball at school in their strongest period of success post 1981. Can anyone corroborate that?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Macklin from GT last year was 16 and not much over 85. There are plenty a fit props running around at low weights, especially the shorter guys

Macklin was in his 17 year while Howard is in his 16 year and I think that makes a huge difference and IMO Macklin barely held his own against the better teams.

Sure you can play as a smaller prop if you are strong and experienced enough - Howard is young, relatively small(?) and has virtually no experience at prop - not what I want at prop if you are preparing what you believe is a competitive team that hopes to challenge.

Having said all that - Macklin in his 18 year, very strong, with a year under his belt could be a big improver and Howard has the type of talent (and drive) that can and often just forces their way onto the field - GT IMO has about 4 or 5 boys who fit that description in the 16's this year

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With a grain of salt.....Are any other schools apart from BBC and GT even aware of G&GR? I swear to god, in the last few years I have never heard anything from a NC, TGS, IGS, or TSS posters. Not knocking the BBC and GT comments but why don't the other schools get in on the fun to the same degree? Any thoughts?

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
you seem to have forgotten
With a grain of salt...Are any other schools apart from BBC and GT even aware of G&GR? I swear to god, in the last few years I have never heard anything from a NC, TGS, IGS, or TSS posters. Not knocking the BBC and GT comments but why don't the other schools get in on the fun to the same degree? Any thoughts?

you seem to have forgotten me on behalf of NC
Also if i am not mistake Country Jack has posted numerous comments about TSS
also the King has been posting about BGS fir years

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)

Rowing is one of the best cardio workouts you can do for rugby (or any sport), second to swimming and up there with cycling.

However, for strength training, it fails to provide much of what is essential for various positions in rugby. It can also reduce the speed of a player by developing the wrong type of muscles and muscle strength in the legs.

If we look at players like Howard, the things that prevent them from being a better rugby player such as speed, back issues, body shape, etc ... They all are made worse by rowing.

Considering Howard rows in the Open crew I'd day he's hitting the rowing very hard. Perhaps if he was more of a casual rower, focused more on cardio, it would not affect his rugby much at all.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Rowing is one of the best cardio workouts you can do for rugby (or any sport), second to swimming and up there with cycling.

However, for strength training, it fails to provide much of what is essential for various positions in rugby. It can also reduce the speed of a player by developing the wrong type of muscles and muscle strength in the legs.

If we look at players like Howard, the things that prevent them from being a better rugby player such as speed, back issues, body shape, etc . They all are made worse by rowing.

Considering Howard rows in the Open crew I'd day he's hitting the rowing very hard. Perhaps if he was more of a casual rower, focused more on cardio, it would not affect his rugby much at all.

Interesting and concerning.
By my calculations all but 2 of a probable BBC 1st xv forward pack( only 6&7)(including new kid from Melbourne who did row) were involved in serious rowing in 1st to 3rd eights or under 16 eight.
Remember how much weight Darcy Tamousa -Swain lost last year while rowing.Saw him playing for ACT under 20 recently & he looked 10 kg heavier.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting and concerning.
By my calculations all but 2 of a probable BBC 1st xv forward pack( only 6&7)(including new kid from Melbourne who did row) were involved in serious rowing in 1st to 3rd eights or under 16 eight.
Remember how much weight Darcy Tamousa -Swain lost last year while rowing.Saw him playing for ACT under 20 recently & he looked 10 kg heavier.

See if it's all about cardio then rowing is absolutely beneficial, but say you need speed, you'd be developing massive slow twitch muscles when what you need is fast twitch.

If you want a fast winger, you send him to track and field, so he gets speed!

Rowing is like doing thousands of reps of dead lifts in a horizontal direction, and there is no way you can improve speed from that, you actually make yourself slower.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
I hear Churchie trip was good, Player of the trip was henry Leonard, Sounds like he will push for the 10 Jumper

Not Far away now from Kick off for the trials and then into Season. Lots of new faces this year and it should be great.

Get rid of this soccer season (blah) and we are into the GPS flagship of Rugby. Rah rah rah

Does anyone know of the Q1 and Q2 teams that were genuine grade 11 students coming back this year???

PS cant wait to see the new lot of Southport Yummy Mummies

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
See if it's all about cardio then rowing is absolutely beneficial, but say you need speed, you'd be developing massive slow twitch muscles when what you need is fast twitch.

If you want a fast winger, you send him to track and field, so he gets speed!

Rowing is like doing thousands of reps of dead lifts in a horizontal direction, and there is no way you can improve speed from that, you actually make yourself slower.

Are you guys serious ??
They are schoolboys. This was term 1 . Rugby is term 3.
If they want to row -let them.
If they want to play volleyball/cricket-let them,

Status
Not open for further replies.