• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dear Mr King

Really enjoy your posts.
One small correction on BBC 2015.
Yes -a big early loss to Nudgee where BBC were rubbish.
The loss to TSS was not big but in fact:
-was by 2 points;
-BBC missed penalty after full time;
- BBC had try disallowed which tapes show was good - but ref too far behind play.

Keep the summaries coming.
I agree that TSS look formidable this year.

Your fan
Wee Willie

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
I have to agree with you about BBC. TSS see round 3 against them as a big big match- naming it old boys' day.
Nephew at BBC says one of their Rep players is out for the year?Any one know about that?
Also WTF is The PNG prop Yunopa? doing in the 2nds- is he coming back from injury? I agree with the King. I expected him to play
rep football this year.

BBC had an Australian Barbarian player suffer a shoulder injury at training. Not sure about the whole season but will be out for a significant period.

Baffled by the decision to play a prop who impressed many at 1st XV level last year in the seconds. More baffled by the decision to play him in the centres at GPS trials. That couldn't have done his selection chances much good. He is an exceptional talent and quite a physical specimen. There are never sure things but with the right management he would have a better chance than most of joining the professional ranks.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Great "almost preview" King!!!

I really your wrong about your prediction with BBC coming 6th and can't see the basis for that based on BBC lineup and coaching staff... BGS is now recruiting pretty heavily although as usual that will be denied by many parents.

Yeah it certainly looks that way (re: BBC 6th prediction). I think I've oversold GT and undersold IGS, based on last round's results.

I'd encourage everyone to tune in to the live stream of TSS @ IGS tomorrow. There's going to be an awesome surprise which I don't want to reveal now!

There are so many teams that could fight their way into the Top Three it's scary. BBC, TGS, TSS, NC, GT, BSHS, IGS!... If BBC can put more points through BGS then Nudgee did, then I think it's safe to say that they've got what it takes besides having IMO a weaker overall squad then last year. The coaching pedigree is jaw dropping.

I'd be very surprised if BGS recruitment was indeed "heavy" - the "new" headmaster is 110% focused on academics, it seems. I can't name anyone on scholarships besides Tuimavave and Arthur - even McReight and Gilbert are home grown. Their elder brothers played for BGS in 2012.

The loss to TSS was not big but in fact:
-was by 2 points;

I always remembered it being heavy, but maybe that was just the crushing weight of disappointment? I'll edit in the correction. Thanks for pointing it out!

SF is not JF's twin

Are you sure? I know for a fact that Farrell's father read the preview and didn't correct it. I was under the impression that they were twins, but SF had repeated. Happy to be corrected though

Sean McCain

Stan Wickham (3)
Predictions for this weekends fixtures.

BGS def BBC - by at least 4 tries. Due to a weak and unprepared BBC squad. Look out for Will Borger making big hits and orchestrating key plays.

GT def ACGS - by 2 or 3 tries, after Churchies loss to IGS last weekend.

TSS def IGS - by 2 tries, should be a good game with both sides having strong performances last weekend.

NC def TGS - Could go either way, predicting Nudgee by a few points.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
BBC should beat BGS pretty handily, but I don't mind saying that I think that while the sum of BBC's parts may be greater than the whole, I don't see them being as talented as they have on an individual level in previous years.

I look forward to seeing what the coaches can do. There is potential this year, there is no doubt.

GT were comprehensively beaten by a very good State High team - if they can thump Churchie then we know they'll be a challenge. If they lose, or put out a weak display then it's time to re-evaluate my table prediction of third for the Red and Black.

TSS v IGS is a very interesting one for me. I know very little about both teams, so am looking forward to getting out to Ipswich tomorrow. I'll take TSS, but I'm very interested to how close IGS can push them.

NC is the other cracking game this round. Toowoomba Grammar is a hard, hard place to travel up to and compete. Sitting on a bus for two hours is not what the sports scientists prescribe to unlock maximum athletic performance. Toowoomba have a wide spread of talent in 2016, where Nudgee's is mostly restricted to the backline. Clayton Mack v Semisi Tupou might be a deciding match-up. TGS were humiliated at the scrum by TSS, and Blake Schoupp is up there with the best of them in Queensland while Matt Faessler's GPS trials scrum was dominated as well. Really really fascinating encounter on the card. It's a toughie but I'll tip Nudgee to scrape through a very tough encounter.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
BBC - No change from last year
Churchie - I backed GT & Churchie last week and got burnt. Close
IGS - An ambush at Ipswich
NC - An away win

thommo79

Frank Row (1)
BBC

NC is the other cracking game this round. Toowoomba Grammar is a hard, hard place to travel up to and compete. Sitting on a bus for two hours is not what the sports scientists prescribe to unlock maximum athletic performance.

Do the TGS boys get to use the same excuse every weekend that they have to travel to Brisbane or Southport? Two hours on a coach which arrives several hrs before the came is hardly taxing on 16 - 17 yr olds.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Do the TGS boys get to use the same excuse every weekend that they have to travel to Brisbane or Southport?

Yep, they sure do. In case you've forgotten, Toowoomba haven't won a GPS Premiership in 57 years.

I'd wager that two hour bus trips every second week might have something to do with that, funnily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thommo79

Frank Row (1)
BBC will want to get their season started
Churchie to avenge last weekends loss
IGS in a upset
TGS looking to roll Nudgee at home on a very windy day. ( the sun is out at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.