• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
2) you " dont spend money " on scholarships . You give fee reductions - so unless you are taking the spot of a full fee paying student - it does not cost you a cent. only 2 GPS schools are full and it is not BBC.

This is a very good point and one I had not really considered before - for most GPS schools the impact on bringing in sporting talent has no bearing on the available spots for 'non elite' students and as stated actually brings in $$ for the schools through government contributions per students.

One might say it would be 'silly' for say BBC to leave those spots vacant at the school when they can fill them based on a merit system of sorts.

Now over at GT for example - it is a completely different story - one that needs to be much more closely managed!!

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
This is a very good point and one I had not really considered before - for most GPS schools the impact on bringing in sporting talent has no bearing on the available spots for 'non elite' students and as stated actually brings in $$ for the schools through government contributions per students.

One might say it would be 'silly' for say BBC to leave those spots vacant at the school when they can fill them based on a merit system of sorts.

Now over at GT for example - it is a completely different story - one that needs to be much more closely managed!!

Same goes for us at NC - still plenty of spots to fill. But GT and BGS have the " house full up" so a lot of issues in giving those spots away.
You are also correct in saying there is Govt $ for every student and big GovT $ for boarders which really helps us and TSS

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nudgee looking ominous for next year already PLUS who are the 2 rl boys from Wavell High that started on Monday!! HUGE

Yes - correct 2 new Qld RL players started in grade 11 last week and will do senior 2 years like jeffries. So we will have them for 3 years

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
This may be better suited to a GPS 2017 thread when it starts, but below is what I think might be the yr11 16 or 17 yr olds that played firsts this year and would assume will push for selection next year. Did I miss anyone?

GT

Harry Wilson
Hoani Ford-Stevens
Johnson Oyelodi
Byron Ralston

TGS

Harry Leerentveld

IGS

Eugene Koorts
Joseph Faulolo
Cooper Whiteside

BGS

Emile Tuimavave
Ollie Shepherd
Nick Whip
Thomas Gilbert

NC

Ethan Bullemor
Harrison Cannon
Joe Small
Pheonix Hunt
Tom Blackmore
Ryan Shepherd

ACGS

Tom Hughes
Fin Hume

BBC

Trevor Hoesa

TSS

Thomas Van Der Schyff
Campbell Parata
Dan Burns
Noah Lolesio
Tautau Kapea
Koen Dovey
Max Dowd

BSHS

Nesta Mahina
Moses Alo-Emile
Isaac Crone
Jared Chambers
Jordan Petaia

@Hilltop View, I expect Wilson will be back as Lock for Aus Schools 2017 and be starting for big games.

Who else will be in line for High rep honors in 2017? Perhaps the 2 or 3 standout forwards & backs? (also what Pos they play)

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
@Hilltop View, I expect Wilson will be back as Lock for Aus Schools 2017 and be starting for big games.

"Who else will be in line for High rep honors in 2017? Perhaps the 2 or 3 standout forwards & backs?" (also what Pos they play)

Qld 7's just released a list of Qld boys with 20 gps school boys in the squad of 45(I think). Some of these boys are in Hilltops list. I wonder if any would emerge in 2017 with potential to go all the way to making Aust schoolboys. . .with the big european tour looming then.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Qld 7's just released a list of Qld boys with 20 gps school boys in the squad of 45(I think). Some of these boys are in Hilltops list. I wonder if any would emerge in 2017 with potential to go all the way to making Aust schoolboys.with the big european tour looming then.

1.Joseph Small- Nudgee
2.Cooper Whiteside-IGS
3. Jared Chambers- BSHS
4. Jordan Petaia-BSHS
5.Thomas Gilbert-BGS
Any others Ive missed? No TSS boys on list.I heard a rumour it may be a school policy?. . .apparently.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Going down the u18 Qld 7's list, those GPS school boys in the squad who will be around in 2017 are:-

Forwards
Cam Howard - GT
Joseph Small - NC

Backs
Byron Ralston - GT
Cooper Whiteside - IGS
Jared Chambers - BSHS
Jordan Petaia - BSHS
Ruan Peter - BBC
Thomas Gilbert - BGS
Tigger Sykes - NC
Tyrone Metusela - GT
Xavier Soli - NC

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Going down the u18 Qld 7's list, those GPS school boys in the squad who will be around in 2017 are:-

Forwards
Cam Howard - GT
Joseph Small - NC

Backs
Byron Ralston - GT
Cooper Whiteside - IGS
Jared Chambers - BSHS
Jordan Petaia - BSHS
Ruan Peter - BBC
Thomas Gilbert - BGS
Tigger Sykes - NC
Tyrone Metusela - GT
Xavier Soli - NC

Are Isaiah Naawi and Shea Lalagavesi returning for NC and BSHS also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Who else will be in line for High rep honors in 2017? Perhaps the 2 or 3 standout forwards & backs? (also what Pos they play)

. .Also I believe Jordan P from BSHS was prominent in the Baa Baas with Wilson . . .
Joseph Small (league) is an athlete with much talent.
Xavier Soli is a classy midfielder.. should excel next yr

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
i expect Trevor H the 6ft 8 boy from BBC signed by the Rebels to make Aussie Schools. I know they were keen to look at him this year but injury prevented it .

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Shout out to Red & Black and Red/Black who both posted earlier this year about TSS , BBC having a number of PI boys in 1stxv this year( despite those schools and Nudgee have a multi- cultural boarding houses for over 50 years).I recall the crude suggestion was that they might not know the school war cry.
Could not help noticing as we drove up the pacific Highway to watch my sons mate win under 13 sprint double that GT won the under 13 and 14 relays with .... you guessed it ( was it 7 or 8 pacific island rugby playing boys?)

They looked so happy & proud.
They obviously do not know Red & Black nor black / red and I say good on you GT.

Hilltop View

Peter Burge (5)
1.Joseph Small- Nudgee
2.Cooper Whiteside-IGS
3. Jared Chambers- BSHS
4. Jordan Petaia-BSHS
5.Thomas Gilbert-BGS
Any others Ive missed? No TSS boys on list.I heard a rumour it may be a school policy?.apparently.

There looks to be a few that may have chosen to skip trailing for the 7's for what ever reason. I would add the below as those that should press for rep honors next year, maybe not aussie but QLD 1 or 2.

Hoani Ford Stevens - GT
Eugene Koorts - IGS
Ollie Shepherd - BGS
Ethan Bullemor - NC
Pheonix Hunt - NC
Ryan Shepherd - NC
Thomas Van Der Schyff - TSS
Campbell Parata - TSS
Moses Alo-Emile - BSHS

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There looks to be a few that may have chosen to skip trailing for the 7's for what ever reason.

This is the conundrum facing many of these fast and athletic rugby players.
Which pathway is the best for me?
Many of the elite talent appear to by-pass the 7's pathway for a concerted effort to make the 15's first.
Some noticeable absentees from the 7's squad include:
  1. Will Eade (REDS)
  2. Isaac Lukas (REDS?)
  3. Murray Taulagi(Cowboys)
  4. Leni Ikitau (Brumbies?)
  5. Willie Malala
  6. Semisi Tupou
  7. Jordan Petala ( Rumours is hes with the REDS U/18's and may have opted to concentrate on 15's instead of 7's
Not a bad looking 7's if you ask me ? If you throw Q Mahina and T McDermott?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I might have a stab at the 2017 GPS Team of the Season

1. Halatoa Puafisi (TGS) - Great size, compares very nicely to Dechlan Day. His senior year should be fun to watch

2. Eugene Koorts (IGS) - Busy ball-carrier and pinpoint accurate lineout throwing. Made the 2016 TOTS bench, so will make the step to the starting team in 2017.

3. Moses Alo-Emile (BSHS) - Queensland rep in the front row at only 16? This kid has a bright future. Looking forward to watching his development in 2017.

4. Trevor Hosea (BBC) - Hopefully he can stave off the injuries this year. TOTS bench, so should step up in 2017

5. Harry Wilson (GT) - I'd be surprised if he stays at lock in 2017 but for now, he's my tip.

6. Ethan Bullemor (NC) - Predicting Mr Bullemor to be a two-time member of the TOTS

7. Wolfgang Wallace (IGS) - A lot of sevens graduated in 2016, so I've got to look outside the box. I really rated Wallace in the Queensland U15s a while back and this is his year 12 season. TSS will have a handy seven stashed away as well, no doubt, but I haven't seen him yet. I've also heard good things about Jack Slack at Churchie, and Will Borger at BGS has lots of potential.

8. Cullen Ngamanu (BBC) - Really looking forward to seeing how he plays with some added size. Has all the makings of a really exciting No.8

9. Phoenix Hunt (NC) - Highly rated by the Nudgee coaching staff, which is as glowing a compliment a young rugby player could receive. Hoping we see him run the ball a little more in 2017

10. Campbell Parata (TSS) - Superstar off the tee and a handy distributor, some added size and experience should help the young Western Australian plenty. I'm predicting a Queensland jersey, maybe even further if Queensland play well in Sydney

11. Hamish Tabuai-Fidow (BGS) - This kid is going to be special. Think Willie Malala - he's about as close as one could get. Wiry but powerful, fast and a great sidestep. We'll see if his defence is as good as Willie, but I think he'll dominate on the wing.

12. Tom Gilbert (BGS) - I'm going to cheat here and pick an outside centre at #12. He played there for the Queensland U15s and spent a lot of time in first and second receiver for BGS, so it's not too much of a stretch.

13. Tautau Kapea (TSS) - complete monster. Rugby League clubs all over the country will be falling over themselves to sign him. Fast, powerful, aggressive, and a big hitter. Complete package - MVP candidate for sure.

14. Tristan Stanghorn (ACGS) - If I've picked one guy out of position, why not another. Stanghorn may be better suited to the wing anyway as it gives his pace the purest outlet.

15. Jordan Petaia (BSHS) - the heir apparent to Murray Taulagi. He might end up at #13, which would continue the tradition of the GPS comp producing bucketloads of talented outside centres. I don't think I've seen Jordy kick so maybe fullback isn't for him

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Of course I hope there's a raft of new players entering the comp who will blow us all away.

Status
Not open for further replies.