• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Of course I hope there's a raft of new players entering the comp who will blow us all away.

Not a bad TOS 2017 KING.
Indeed it is always a delight to see the next gen pf emerging jnr's 'cut their teeth' in the gps 1st XV comp. It is really another step up from jnr rugby.
Who will take their opportunities in the pre-season games and surprise us?
The 2 BSHS boys( Moses & Jordan both 16yr olds) you've included have certainly made an impact and stepped up big time.
I'm pretty sure Jordan P didnt even make Qld 1 or 2 but made the Combined St Team and continued his emergence into the Schoolboys Baa Baas.
I like Bullemor he has great potential and a classic 6;3' 100kg+ athletic kid. . and RL seems to be his destiny as well.
Yeah Ngamanu off the back of the rucks and scrums will be a sight to behold. . .
Bring on the pre-season already.
Does anyone know who the new coaches for 2017? I know the gps premiers(BSHS) coach Mr Sione has "retired" from 1st XV to concentrate on family and 7's commitments.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Any word who will replace Sione? Will pat Byron take on the job as well as the DOR role? I hear there may also be changes at terrace with Ben McCormack having to choose between school and premier grade commitments?

The coaching job has only just been advertised. Very surprising. Applications Closes 15 NOV-2016.Its advertisedas : TEACHER-GPS RUGBY XV coach-Brisbane State High School by Teach Qld.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It will be interesting, observing the strategies of the gps coaches and entourage. . .in particular, BBC. How will Drahm and his merry men(im assuming his high calibre recruits Stve Nance, Van Humphries, Kefu and Lander) will be continuing in 2017? . . .BBC were rather unlucky with the injuries. .

Darvo

Peter Burge (5)
Word out of BGS is that a new lock will be joining the program next year. 102KG (hopefully some boys that can lift him) out of country New Zealand. Name is Logan unsure of last name.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Word out of BGS is that a new lock will be joining the program next year. 102KG (hopefully some boys that can lift him) out of country New Zealand. Name is Logan unsure of last name.

Good to see the Scholarship Program is alive and well at BGS:)

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
This surprises me a lot, I was under what I thought very reliable information that BGS will not entertain rugby scholarships and haven't done for a number of years, perhaps as long ago as never?. My guess is he is there on an academic scholarship....possibly an up and coming Neurosurgeon, that is also 102 KG Second Rower from New Zealand, not another one, how many do we need?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This surprises me a lot, I was under what I thought very reliable information that BGS will not entertain rugby scholarships and haven't done for a number of years, perhaps as long ago as never?. My guess is he is there on an academic scholarship..perhaps an up and coming Neurosurgeon, that is also 102 KG Second Rower from New Zealand, not another one, how many do we need?

I remember many years ago when a GPS school had run out of sporting scholarships for a very good rugby player.

Remarkably, he was awarded a music scholarship, yep for clarinet. Young PI lad thought it was red wine

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I was under what I thought very reliable information that BGS will not entertain rugby scholarships and haven't done for a number of years, perhaps as long ago as never?

Grammar, like every school in the competition, offers sports scholarships. They're just rarer these days.

Through 2009-2013 BGS recruited ~15 students to play rugby, after which headmaster Brian Short retired. BGS averaged a mid-table finish in those years, including the 2012 Premiership.

The new headmaster has given out just three First XV scholarships in the three years since.

- One centre, who missed his Year 12 season with the captaincy curse
- One lock, who missed his entire Year 11 season
- One prop, who miraculously didn't get hurt and played this year.

BGS have a record of 2 wins, 24 losses since they dropped the numbers imported from three per year down to one.

I know there was interest from BGS on a 6'2, 85 kg 14-year-old lock from the Darling Downs for 2017, but unfortunately the deal fell through.

Could this be the same 102 kg lock from New Zealand you mention?

Genuinely curious, not trying to be snarky.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Hey King
I alwaysc enjoy your posts - but its time that BGS stop denying sports scholarships and saying they are academic bursaries:
1) BGS had 2 boys in first xi this year from NT and another new one next year:
2) BGS won GPS xcountry this year with 3 new boys in grade 10 and 2 scholarship boys in grade 8;
3) swimming ; 2nd place with new boys on scholarships in 8 , 9 and the boy from Adelaide in grade 10 that set 3 records.
Mooney is doing a great job and BGS are going forward very quick but lets call apples apples

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hey King
I alwaysc enjoy your posts - but its time that BGS stop denying sports scholarships and saying they are academic bursaries:
s

Countryjack I couldn't comment about swimming or cross country but I'll tell you for free there are very, very few rugby players being imported.

Since winning the Premiership, BGS have won less than 10% of their First XV matches.

If there were any 115 kg Tongans playing the triangle (costing $25,000 per year) I think we would have noticed some kind of lift on the rugby field.

Then there's the whole glass houses point... are TSS swimmers still speaking the Queen's English these days? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Any more info/ names on the 2 new RL stars that started at Nudgee 3 weeks ago ?

Nudgee have a new Outside Centre in the 15's this year that has come down from Rockhampton, I think he starts next year, I only know his nickname as "Chicken" and from what I have seen he appears to be something very very special.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Countryjack I couldn't comment about swimming or cross country but I'll tell you for free there are very, very few rugby players being imported.

Since winning the Premiership, BGS have won less than 10% of their First XV matches.

If there were any 115 kg Tongans playing the triangle (costing $25,000 per year) I think we would have noticed some kind of lift on the rugby field.

Then there's the whole glass houses point. are TSS swimmers still speaking the Queen's English these days? ;)

To funny King.
Yes the English Swim team scenario was not the best thing TSS have done .
And yes there are plenty of new swimmers at TSS this year.

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)

Then there's the whole glass houses point. are TSS swimmers still speaking the Queen's English these days? ;)

Hi King

I really enjoy your posts, and this said with no malice, but there is very strong rumours that there are up to three boys joining the BGS under 12 age group on rugby scholarships.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong???

Lemno

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi King

I really enjoy your posts, and this said with no malice, but there is very strong rumours that there are up to three boys joining the BGS under 12 age group on rugby scholarships.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong???

Lemno

I too have heard (from the horses mouth)- that BBC and BGS are chasing a group of U12 league players in a packaged deal for 2017.

As recruitment gets younger the risks get much bigger!!

Got to love seeing all this new talent make its way onto the GPS sporting fields every Saturday throughout term 3 - now all we need is to expand the season 9 rounds is just not nearly enough.

BAG

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi BAG

If you are referring to the U11's moving into U12's in 2017, this ties in pretty closely with what I have heard and I believe one of the BGS boys has some league (and union) background.

I agree that the younger age groups are getting more and more competitive and they are generally great games to watch.

Cheers

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Does anyone really have an issue with importing U12s though?

I'm personally more ticked off when players like Richie Asiata get parachuted straight into the First XV midway through the year.

If you import a kid when he's 13 the school is responsible for developing him to a First XV standard. Cases like Asiata are the real issue, and thankfully an issue of the past with the Headmaster's agreement.

If BGS have indeed imported some youngsters, good on them I say. Hopefully we can see more competitiveness in the younger grades and continue that into the First XV comp of 2022-2023...

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi King

Couldn't agree more - especially when those boys would not have had a chance to get the education in other circumstances (not always the case).

I also believe that bringing them in early raises the standard of the fee paying boys and gives them an opportunity to develop and compete over the coming years.

Cheers

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Does anyone really have an issue with importing U12s though?

I think the private schools should be offering 'educational opportunities' to kids with talents that compliment the schools culture whether that be rugby, swimming, debating, chess, music or whatever.

Bringing kids in up until grade 10 is a good thing for all concerned IMO - after that, it is much more a case be case thing and less likely to be in the best interest of all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.