• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree Digby, there will be a number of talented boys playing seconds this season because of politics or their face just does not fit and the coaching staff don't rate them. There will always be boys that are late bloomers and will do well in rugby when given a chance at club level. It is a shame that some of the boys playing in the seconds will not get a chance to be part of the 1sts environment regardless of how well they play.

I think Nick Farr Jones and Bill Campbell played 2nds on their School team didn't they ?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Congrats to Wests , BBC and BSHS for putting on a great night of rugby- big crowd, great stadium and exciting running game.
Pretty much as expected - BBC won by 3 tries to 1
BBC forward pack looked good ( at times very good)and backline looked small and young but with skill.
BSHS front row is huge.
Looked like 2 bad injuries to BSHS boys. Hope they are ok.
In my group we all agreed that BBC 2 - Rhys - was best on field.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Congrats to Wests , BBC and BSHS for putting on a great night of rugby- big crowd, great stadium and exciting running game.
Pretty much as expected - BBC won by 3 tries to 1
BBC forward pack looked good ( at times very good)and backline looked small and young but with skill.
BSHS front row is huge.
Looked like 2 bad injuries to BSHS boys. Hope they are ok.
In my group we all agreed that BBC 2 - Rhys - was best on field.

I have never seen so many horrific injuries to one team in a single game of footy.
  • Jarrod Chambers & Alex Schmidt (possible ACL) & still another one with a knew injury.
  • Anesta severe concussion and possible season ending should injury
  • Jordan P still out. word is,Barbarians winger/centre still 3 wks away from playing .
  • For BBC Hosea was aggressive and dominant.
  • BBC 10(yr 11 boy) had a commanding pivotal role.Out played BSH 10 Isaac
  • Moses led well for BSH, but BBC were superior in the break downs and dominant in the lineouts, starving the much shorter BSH forward pack.
  • BBC will only get better from here and deserved to win the Corrozza cup.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe BBC and BSHS organising a trial for the same time as the Reds was a mercy mission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Some random thoughts

BSHS front row were completely dominant. They killed every scrum.

That winger everyone is talk about has more footwork than Eadie, I some him put a little goose step and off he went. Eadie had raw acceleration but this guy has a little bit off both, smaller than Eadie so has some work to do in the gym

Both 10's looked good. I was expecting this of the BSHS boy who played last year, but was very impressed with the BBC Fella.

BBC's 9 also seemed very good.

Generally speaking, looked alot like a trial (as it is). Lots of stop start play, drop ball, lack of connections (yet) and a fairly disjointed. The BBC side were big, really big and that could have implications both good and bad for them in the future. Both sides contingent who played last year seem like real leaders within their group.

Although Hosea for BBC is big, I just don't see enough from him as a whole. If you're looking at representative selection, I'd say personally Wilson gives a lot more.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Some random thoughts

BSHS front row were completely dominant. They killed every scrum.

That winger everyone is talk about has more footwork than Eadie, I some him put a little goose step and off he went. Eadie had raw acceleration but this guy has a little bit off both, smaller than Eadie so has some work to do in the gym

Both 10's looked good. I was expecting this of the BSHS boy who played last year, but was very impressed with the BBC Fella.

BBC's 9 also seemed very good.

Generally speaking, looked alot like a trial (as it is). Lots of stop start play, drop ball, lack of connections (yet) and a fairly disjointed. The BBC side were big, really big and that could have implications both good and bad for them in the future. Both sides contingent who played last year seem like real leaders within their group.

Although Hosea for BBC is big, I just don't see enough from him as a whole. If you're looking at representative selection, I'd say personally Wilson gives a lot more.

Good summary
But the goose stepper you are talking about was the fullback - Jack Bowyer- Bowen( Grade10!)
brother of BBC superstar 2013 ( Josh) and nephew of Cowboys/Qld - Mango Matt Bowen.
The winger with the blistering speed did not get much of a go.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Not good for BSHS or the boys who were injured. I hope they recover well and quickly. Sometimes it is just dumb bad luck. However, I thought one of the keys for BSHS winning last year was that they were the team that had the least injuries during the season. While part of that is luck, it also points to a good strength and conditioning regime.

By the reports I should have gone to this game last night rather than the rubbish served at Suncorp. Great stuff by Wests and the two schools to organize the game at Syivan Rd.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good summary
But the goose stepper you are talking about was the fullback - Jack Bowyer- Bowen( Grade10!)
brother of BBC superstar 2013 ( Josh) and nephew of Cowboys/Qld - Mango Matt Bowen.
The winger with the blistering speed did not get much of a go.
Gungenia,
I agree, JB was electric from fullback. He has that ability to spot the tiniest of holes around the middle and his eyes light up with the open space :) .
I thought BSH lacked defensive structure out wide and BBC exploited it. Didnt help with the incredible amount of injuries.
I thought Hosea made a lot of impact runs. However they could ALL do with a bit of maturity when carrying the ball into heavy contact as they all seem to run way too high and not secure the ball . So many fumbled balls. . .understand its a trial.
The 10s I thought BSH Isaac? was trying to do too much and missed kicking for touch at crucial times (2X too many). BBC 10 was steady and distributed well with his passing game.Good potential with height and vision.
The 12 for BSHS carved up in the seconds (game before) . Hes a good prospect to maybe puch for a centre position.
The conditioning is a big part of teams heading into a 9wk season, and I thought BSHS were lacking in their overall fitness level compared to last year (trial period).
I would predict based on what I saw last night and the injury toll that:
  • BBC will be in top 4 (if they stay healthy).
  • BSHS will do well to make top 6
  • TCE and Churchie today should be interesting.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
If that is the case that they are playing 2nds then it will make for a good game of rugby. There are some good players in the Churchie 2nds as well.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can I get a team list for each team in the BBC v BSHS game last night please. I'll post some highlights when completed. Cheers

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Went out to Bulimba to watch my nephew play under 13 for BSHS .
wow - I thought he was a big kid but he was 2nd smallest in BSHS pack.The 8 is a giant.
Early in season I know but a few of you pundits are right:
1) it is going to take a very very good team to beat that BBC 15 A team .They were good last year when they put 50 on Nudgee and pumped Terrace but that backline is now big , fast & slick with the inclusion of the 12 that at one stage was coming to us;
2) it will take a good big side to beat BSHS 13 A s who just pipped BBC. Maybe IGS only;
3) Unless they had a lot of boys missing BSHS and BBC look just off the pace in 14As . Do not see any change to top 3 from last year.
NC building nicely in that age and across the board generally with a heap of new boys in all ages.Too many league boys for my liking that take a year to adjust in the backline and longer in the forwards.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
B& W,
I agree with your views of BBC vs BSHS:
  • 15A's. The 10, 13 & 15 look absolutely brilliant in attack. BSHS look a distant memory from the last years dominant pack and backline. BBC definitely my pick for this age group and 2017-2018 looks very bright for BBC.
  • 16 A's BSHS look the goods. Did a good touch up on BBC whom I thought would be a lot stronger in the 16's. Might not be a doom and gloom situation with their 1st XV suffering a number of critical injuries in backs. 10 for BSHS was fantastic. 15 also looks handy.

The Queen ;)

Stan Wickham (3)
Is anyone sharing a game report of the GT/ACGS game?

Also what are the predictions for BGS vs BSHS? Considering State highs recent injuries I think grammar will get up by one try.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Traveled up to Toowoomba to watch TSS and saw 15's, 16's and most of the First XV.

Firsts - TSS dominated, they look terrific the 15 was outstanding, just a joy to watch. TSS forward pack was first class and the really went to town on TGS. I realise it was only a trial but TGS I think are going to be a little outclassed this season. I do however like their 12. He was a standout for me.

16's - A more balanced game, not sure what the score was however I didnt think their was much in it, I had my eye on the seconds for some of this game also. TGS 16's have a big outside back number 23 on the day, and when I say big I mean prop big however he can run like the wind , they switched him between 13 and wing.TGS forwards were lacking but their backs had some skills out wide. TSS were well drilled the tall blond headed breakaway was a stand out for me. Their backs have some class.

15's - TGS dominated from the start. TSS have a very handy second rower the captain, also a red headed breakaway. TGS absolutely dominated the first half of the game, and they then basically changed their side and it was a little more balanced after that. The TGS backline was impressive, the 9 , 10, 12, 13 are all very talented and they benched them for the second half. The two forward packs were on par with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.