• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LineBreak15

Bob McCowan (2)
TSS VS TGS

standouts

TSS
1# Egan Siggs and 8# Reno Gerrard, TGS couldn't contain either one of them
14# Ronan Kapi Great feet and massive hit on the TGS fullback.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree the Downlands 7 and captain was best on ground by a mile .What an inspiration.
BBC fullback is only grade 10
Other than that i thought BBC looked disjointed and disinterested .

yes and one of their backs picked up a bad injury as well i hear .

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from TGS v TSS yesterday

Flickr or Facebook

36058958376_4048b6b076_z_d.jpg

36099659445_9ac6205928_z_d.jpg

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some feedback on the 2 games televised.

GT vs BSHS:
BSHS dominated possession with a 68 to 32% territorial advantage in the first half. However the 14-7 scoreline to GT highlighted the strength of defense will win games. The few times GT ventured into BSHS half they turn those into points.
That was the difference in the 2nd half. BSHS were guilty of predictable one up runs from their big poppas and when they needed to be patient they forced the pass, trying to score off the first phase. They will learn and some very positive outcomes for BSHS to continue to improve.
GT: were well balanced and their defensive structures won the game. My picks were:
  • Tyrone M-Suapaia (#14)GT
  • Harry Wilson(#5)GT
  • Charlie Round (#6)GT
  • Moses Alo-Emile #3(BSHS)
  • Alex Schimdt #6(BSHS)
  • Jordan Petaia #15(BSHS)
Churchie vs IG:
Churchie were dominant and had the game sewn up early in the 2nd half. IG woke up with 10 minutes to go and played some attacking rugby with flair which they are capable of. Churchie were almost guilty of playing to protect a lead as they nearly got run down by a fast finishing IGS team.
As I just watched this on vid my picks are:
  • #1(Churchie) my mom..brilliant today
  • #4(Churchie) big man was very mobile and linked well
  • #8(Churchie) high work rate
  • #11 Ami (IGS) ALways gives 110%.
I'd add no's 2 and 7 from the GT team for their tackling, clearing out and steals (2 or 3 each maybe). Charlie (#6) had a cracker of a game.
GT's scrummaging will have to improve before Churchie on Saturday or they will be on skates the whole day.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While not specifically GPS rugby the Under 15 State Champs were great up in Townsville. Met West (10 IGS, 5 BBC) took home the chocolates with a 19 - 8 win over Met North (6 GT, 3 BGS, 3 NC) in a fantastic final. Both teams were standouts at the tournament, topping their respective pools.

Sunshine Coast were a real surprise packet finishing third and pushing both the top two teams when they meet them earlier in the week.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
GT vs BSHS:
My picks were:
  • Tyrone M-Suapaia (#14)GT
  • Harry Wilson(#5)GT
  • Charlie Round (#6)GT
  • Moses Alo-Emile #3(BSHS)
  • Alex Schimdt #6(BSHS)
  • Jordan Petaia #15(BSHS)

[/LIST]

Just watched the game. Half your picks above were either yellow or red carded...

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just watched the game. Half your picks above were either yellow or red carded.

I think 2 out of 6.
  • Harry Wilson was again outstanding. Got yellow carded for late hit on halfback.
  • Jordan Petaia classy player who was most potent back .Got red carded for tackling player in the air . . unfortunate but deserved red in last 5 minutes of the game.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tom13654,
You should share your video on the National schoolboys thread. I like this kid. I think he wore #20 for the Qld 2 at Nationals. I was impressed with his fearless game and hard working attitude.Him and the #8 Lachlan (schoolboys) were outstanding in my opinion. Hope he keeps working hard and wish him all the best.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tom13654,
You should share your video on the National schoolboys thread. I like this kid. I think he wore #20 for the Qld 2 at Nationals. I was impressed with his fearless game and hard working attitude.Him and the #8 Lachlan (schoolboys) were outstanding in my opinion. Hope he keeps working hard and wish him all the best.

ooops ok. . .just saw it on the Aust schoolboys thread. . .youre doing the rounds :)

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
I watched the Churchie V IGS game last night. What I found interesting was the Chuchie pack would have been 100K lighter yet they were able to dominant in the scrums. Churchie were better than I thought as I, like all the other punters expected IGS to win by 20. The Chuchie hooker would be 70K ringing wet and he had a blinder. Other standouts for Churchie were the NO.1,4 and 8. Their No.9 was very solid and his kicking for goal was outstanding as he was slotting them from everywhere. For IGS the No.9 had one great run and scored, however for me the rest just rolled with the punches. I think they would be disappointed to be 0and 2, and after this weekend 0and 3 against a mighty TSS.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think 2 out of 6.
  • Harry Wilson was again outstanding. Got yellow carded for late hit on halfback.
  • Jordan Petaia classy player who was most potent back .Got red carded for tackling player in the air . . unfortunate but deserved red in last 5 minutes of the game.
Charlie Round also got a yellow card for a dangerous tackle in the first half.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I was very impressed with Hoani Ford-Stevens' combination of ball-playing and physicality. He's quite a complete package in the mould of Duncan Paia'aua when he was playing for Norths last year.

Cam Howard was one of the most impressive forwards on the pitch and I caught a few eye-catching moments from Ethan Dobbins around the pitch too.

BSHS contained Harry Wilson very well, with props to Alex Schmit for consistently wrapping him up. I think Wilson must have been frustrated because not a whole lot of offloads went to hand.

Clinton Malolua and Moses Alo'Emile, with Nesta Mahina close behind, got through so much work. Very impressive. Their scrum was much better than GT's, but didn't stand up against a proper front row last week, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Jordan Petaia is already too good for this level of footy. He plays the game like a 16As gun dropped to the Cs for attitude problems. Has a laugh and dominates without really trying too hard.

It reminds me of watching Jayden Su'a in 2015, but I think the latter fit better into his team. Maybe Petaia doesn't trust the backline around him, so he tries to do it all himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.