• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Word on the vine is that BBC has lost another of its stars (potentially 1st XV player this year) - this time to a league school of excellence. 3 + years of investment gone.

Correct
And another step forward in the culture of their rugby program by refusing to cowtow to the never ending demands of his father,agent ,Broncos manager, Auntie, 2nd cousin,etc etc
all his eggs ine one basket now - seen it all before.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
No HTC we r a great rugby nation. Maybe not as successful as we would like to be. However what the King said is partially true except that playing both codes makes u a better rugby player. There is no clear evidence of this.

Most of the rugby greats have mostly played Union all their playing career, not a combination of both. Probably the most successful example of dual codes over the last 40 yrs would be mick o'connor and Lote tuqiri. Mostly backs except for probably one of the greatest forwards ever brad thorn; however the first and last were initially rugby players.

Now I know some of u will come up with examples of this guy and that guy, but I'm talking about greats not just very good footballer's. Not footballer's that would probably be fairly successful in either code.

With all the opportunities in rugby now, I cannot understand kids, except for initial financial reasons, why they would play 5 kick. Especially with 7's being an Olympic sport and rugby being the fastest growing sport in the USA, u watch the growth and money that will be offered in the next 10 yrs. it will make France look like a vinegar factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of the problem is the lack of opportunity that kids see in rugby with the very limited pathway system we seem to have now once they finish schoolboys. I think there is a massive opportunity out there for a under 21 or under 23 competition, or maybe both age groups, built around our universities. Maybe modeled on something similar to what they do in the US with College Football.
The positives I see in this is it would keep a wider player base out there playing at a elite level after they finish high school and before they make the big time. I also think it would be a opportunity to widen the net again to catch some of those kids that have been passed over, as well as bring in others from more none traditional pathways.
I think also that this would appeal to the kids as they would be able to combine study with Rugby and they know that if they don't make it into the big time with Rugby they still have a future.
You would think there would be a lot of tribalism around these teams considering the age demographics. This would i think bring new fans to the sport and the carry on effect as these kids go onto the profession level would also drag the fans along.
You would think that the Super teams would align themselves with a number of different universities and likewise the universities with a number of clubs. This I think would keep a lot more in the game and may steady the flow to league after school.
After all there are pretty limited spots and not many places for elite players to go after they leave school here, so they go else where, hence our depth suffers.
So whats everyone thoughts or am I starting drift from the focus of this blog.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Would cost a huge amount of money to set up and run and they seem to have played the university card on the sevens program. The thing that is really attractive to universities is the link with the Olympics.
This is for another thread but the current program isn't that bad. We have a national U20's comp that feeds the JRWC. I'd like to see a U19 NRC that would be a trial for that program too. Also this would require a large investment from someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Would cost a huge amount of money to set up and run and they seem to have played the university card on the sevens program. The thing that is really attractive to universities is the link with the Olympics.
This is for another thread but the current program isn't that bad. We have a national U20's comp that feeds the JRWC. I'd like to see a U19 NRC that would be a trial for that program too. Also this would require a large investment from someone.

On a side note the yanks are starting to get fair dinkum with College Rugby over there and have already been over here talking to school boy players about opportunities to play rugby and study in the US. BE WARNED

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With the change in eligibility to five year it will be less attractive to players but still a great pathway. 3-4 years in the College Rugby system would appeal to a lot of guys.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
King ,

There is a bit of movement at the station at Grammar obviously. How do you see the Opens and the 16A's shaping up this year ?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
King ,

There is a bit of movement at the station at Grammar obviously. How do you see the Opens and the 16A's shaping up this year ?

Very out of the loop at present for team's not competing in the First XV.

I think the First XV is the strongest it has been since 2013 despite the graduation of McReight and could push for a mid-table finish.

The backline combination of Daejarn Asi at 10, Tom Gilbert at 13, and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow at fullback is an exciting one and should allow BGS to put some real width into their game. There's a kid called Dennis Waight, apparently nicknamed 'ChestBrah', who is meant to be a hard-running 12, but I've not seen him play myself.

In the forwards, leading try-scorer prop Emile Tuimavave enters his final season and should be a leader around the pitch and push for Queensland.

Former Queensland rep Ollie Shepherd could play anywhere along the second or back row while Will Borger should take the #7 jersey.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I agree King . From a more distant observation that's sort of how it seems to me as well.

Grammar could really be a factor this season - not so much in winning it , but , being a giant killer here and there that will influence the table

Things might be looking up for the light and dark blues

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I did hear that Borger sustained a fairly serious shoulder injury at Grammar Rugby training last week. May be out for a while.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
To be eligble to play GPS 1st XV rugby a student must be enrolled at the school in year 11 as at the first day of school. Any student enrolled after that date is ineligable unless agreement from all other GPS school princples is achieved.
Note the first day of term 1 can mean with in the first week or so it is not literally day 1.

Only if he's on fee assistance. A full fee paying student can arrive at a school on the first day of year 12 and be eligible to play 1stXv. The big judo prop at TSS last year is an example.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Only if he's on fee assistance. A full fee paying student can arrive at a school on the first day of year 12 and be eligible to play 1stXv. The big judo prop at TSS last year is an example.

100 % correct. You can start any time and play 1st xv unless you are on any form of fee assistance-then it must be day 1 AND year 11 or under. Same rule for:
1)other 1st sports -cricket,tennis,etc etc;
2) any GPS championship -x/country/swimming and T&F.

But as we all know the rule is sooo easy to manipulate by a 3rd party paying the fees.
Exhibit 1-Digby Ione starts at GT in game 4 (split season);
Exhibit 2 Richie A starts at ACGS in 2014 in Game 3 (full fee paying they said!)(his facebook said otherwise)

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Repeat after me " the depth at Nudgee and TSS this year is staggering"

Went up to BBC for cricket ion Saturday.Why are their ovals always so green? So they have lost :
-their 12 and probable captain -injured;
- their 13 and goalkicker -back to NRL by order of Broncos.(like Ponga)

My mate(who I trust )said every boy in backline could be grade 11.It was a great 15 A team last year but me thinks a year too early.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
100 % correct. You can start any time and play 1st xv unless you are on any form of fee assistance-then it must be day 1 AND year 11 or under. Same rule for:
1)other 1st sports -cricket,tennis,etc etc;
2) any GPS championship -x/country/swimming and T&F.

But as we all know the rule is sooo easy to manipulate by a 3rd party paying the fees.
Exhibit 1-Digby Ione starts at GT in game 4 (split season);
Exhibit 2 Richie A starts at ACGS in 2014 in Game 3 (full fee paying they said!)(his facebook said otherwise)

Not entirely true anymore:
- A full feeing paying student still has to commence school at the start of the year to be eligible to compete in a 1st team/ championship event (just doesn't have to be start of year 11).
- the Richie A example is no longer eligible.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Can't agree more Realist !!

There is no doubt the quality of the 1st XV schoolboy rugby is good - but at what cost ? What is schoolboy rugby really about ?

Schoolboy Rugby is about the 400 or 500 boys in the programme, not just the 1stXV and A teams. 1st XV and A teams is certainly the pinnacle for boys to aspire to ( note - not get parachuted into ), but it is not the be all and end all. I haven't seen many comments in this forum about broader rugby programmes, participation, number of boys in the programme etc., or about the boys in the 13Cs or 14Ds that were developed through and are now training in a 1stXV train-on squad - let's hear about those guys on this forum.

It is not the job of schoolboy rugby to provide a pathway for the betterment of the QRU / ARU - if the QRU and ARU got off their arses and did their job properly, pathways would lead to outcomes as a matter of course.

Nor should schoolboy rugby be a holding pen or incubator for NRL prospects.

Schoolboy rugby is about it meaning something to represent your school - not just playing a game as a means to an end.

Its about heeding a call of arms with your mates and bleeding every weekend for them and your school, about playing in the morning, and then hanging around with your mates to watch the First XV game - dreaming one day that you might get the opportunity to run onto the Main Oval at 2:30 . ( Its a bit hard to be engaged when you have to run off from training on Thursday, or on the weekend, to prepare for the Cyril Connell Cup! Even knowing your school warcry would be a good start !)

Schoolboy rugby is about setting the benchmark with that hot team in Under 13, setting aim and measuring your progress against that team each year through to First XV. It makes it a bit hard when that benchmark brings in 6 better players in Yr 10, and then another couple in Yrs 11 and 12.

The system is broken - full stop. The objective of these rugby programmes is counter-intuitive to what these schools should be about - scholarships are fine, but as long as they are in place for the betterment of the boy . This programme is arse-about, and the race to dish out scholarships today is primarily for the betterment of the school - the boy is really a means to an end.

Interesting - you have the schools using the boy, and the boy using the school - now there's a guarantee of commitment and passion !

The system is broken. You just have to see and hear the disenchantment of the boys throughout the schools - those who set that benchmark in Yr 8 and worked toward the goal of running onto main oval at 2:30, only now to be overlooked for boys brought in ( or bought ?? ) in Yrs 11 and 12. Even worse is the resignation of boys in Yrs 8 and 9 today, seeing what is going on ahead of them, and wondering whether it is really worth their while !

Simply responding that "everyone else is doing it, so we have to" is a cop-out.

The scholarship programmes are to the rugby culture in the schools what myxomotosis was to rabbits !

End of tweet !

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree with all you say Vagas and Henry . But how do you fix it.?
This applies to ALL GPS sports ,not just rugby.
At the risk of shitting in my own nest - take a look on 3 March at how many boys in the NC and TSS swimmimg teams started in 2017( but are not swimming in under 13)
The same goes for BBC in track and BGS in x/ country . NC in rowing --etc etc .It is an endless circle - premierships bring in enrolments and $$: and scholarships bring in premierships.

Solution??

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can't agree more Realist !!

There is no doubt the quality of the 1st XV schoolboy rugby is good - but at what cost ? What is schoolboy rugby really about ?

Schoolboy Rugby is about the 400 or 500 boys in the programme, not just the 1stXV and A teams. 1st XV and A teams is certainly the pinnacle for boys to aspire to ( note - not get parachuted into ), but it is not the be all and end all. I haven't seen many comments in this forum about broader rugby programmes, participation, number of boys in the programme etc., or about the boys in the 13Cs or 14Ds that were developed through and are now training in a 1stXV train-on squad - let's hear about those guys on this forum.

It is not the job of schoolboy rugby to provide a pathway for the betterment of the QRU / ARU - if the QRU and ARU got off their arses and did their job properly, pathways would lead to outcomes as a matter of course.

Nor should schoolboy rugby be a holding pen or incubator for NRL prospects.

Schoolboy rugby is about it meaning something to represent your school - not just playing a game as a means to an end.

Its about heeding a call of arms with your mates and bleeding every weekend for them and your school, about playing in the morning, and then hanging around with your mates to watch the First XV game - dreaming one day that you might get the opportunity to run onto the Main Oval at 2:30 . ( Its a bit hard to be engaged when you have to run off from training on Thursday, or on the weekend, to prepare for the Cyril Connell Cup! Even knowing your school warcry would be a good start !)

Schoolboy rugby is about setting the benchmark with that hot team in Under 13, setting aim and measuring your progress against that team each year through to First XV. It makes it a bit hard when that benchmark brings in 6 better players in Yr 10, and then another couple in Yrs 11 and 12.

The system is broken - full stop. The objective of these rugby programmes is counter-intuitive to what these schools should be about - scholarships are fine, but as long as they are in place for the betterment of the boy . This programme is arse-about, and the race to dish out scholarships today is primarily for the betterment of the school - the boy is really a means to an end.

Interesting - you have the schools using the boy, and the boy using the school - now there's a guarantee of commitment and passion !

The system is broken. You just have to see and hear the disenchantment of the boys throughout the schools - those who set that benchmark in Yr 8 and worked toward the goal of running onto main oval at 2:30, only now to be overlooked for boys brought in ( or bought ?? ) in Yrs 11 and 12. Even worse is the resignation of boys in Yrs 8 and 9 today, seeing what is going on ahead of them, and wondering whether it is really worth their while !

Simply responding that "everyone else is doing it, so we have to" is a cop-out.

The scholarship programmes are to the rugby culture in the schools what myxomotosis was to rabbits !

End of tweet !

Here's my perspective(s). I am a coach, parent, critic, and sports lover (in no particular order) kinda guy. . . so Vegas here is my response:
  1. At what cost? If youre a parent who paid for your education a lot of maccas. If youre a principal. . .winning 1st Xv gps rugby premiers means dealing and negotiating with coaches and various stakeholders keen to win. .and sacrificing. Sacrificing is the controversial and painful aspect of others choosing depending on their agenda. So at what cost? A bitter sweet experience. Its the ying/yang of our school rugby journey.
  2. Academic achievements are the same. Employers reap the benefit of our education system. Its a given, that we dont just get white collar and blue collar workers from some mystery location they are educated through a pathway that is layered with politics, deals and propaganda . Professional rugby is the new pinnacle of a young 15 yr old who may have aspirations to become their rugby idol, unfortunately like all of us our journey in pursuit of our dreams dont lead to playing 1st XV.
  3. System is Broken? What should it be about? Again, it depends on your perspective. gps rugby competition is strong and growing stronger. Is it a good thing? Will there be casualties? Not all will be Dr's or Carpenters. Some will be amazing teachers and some will be fantastic performers in a circus. Point is, systems are put in place to guide potential guardians of your schools ethos.it does not guarantee rite of passage. Earning the right for eg, to wear that jersey is a culmination of many factors. Meeting the criteria set by coaches is a pre-requisite along with many other factors that we may or may not agree with. That is indeed the conundrum.
  4. My evolving opinion is. . . I believe gps rugby is the winner. ARU and its many super rugby franchises are the beneficiaries. . .and we rugby lovers live happily ever after in our heavenly abode . . .cheers

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Careful you don't get a nose bleed from upon that high horse your Highness :)

Aren't MCA the robber barons of the Ipswich Plains of late ?

Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that . I love double standards as much as anybody and employ them frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.