• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GPS 2019, danger games for most teams every game (a big part of why I enjoy it), especially only at round 2. You would think BBC should account for GT, but its the hardest game for me to pick this week. BBC looked great in open play and at the breakdowns but their scrum was pushed around a bit by ACGS and they lost a few of their own throws. GT will come out firing.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And I forgot .......The O'Callaghan Cup match up

Toowoomba Grammar by 12 to 15.

Admittedly I am not familiar with the Downlands pack at all but I expect Toowoomba's pack led by Dougal Grey at 7 , Tim Fainganuku at THP and Hamish Muller at lock will have the class edge over their Downlands pack.This will make it difficult for the Downlands backline to get cranking with Mac Grealy in the outside backs ( and presumably ) Kai Duggan in the halves. I'm expecting Toowoomba to get enough quality ball it needs off its forwards - and .....Wilson Cochrane , their 9 , who just might have the best pass off the ground in GPS .....in order for Baxter Franey (10 ) Dayne Shadlow ( 15 ) and the finishers on the wing - Kai Rahui and veteran , Alistair Cameron , to do their thing

Who will be the Darling of the Downs ? Find out on DoubleTake's featured match on Saturday . Should be a ripper

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Danger game for BBC this weekend.
Still no Bowyer/Rau Rau/ Wald and now Tiernay(Qld under 18) out.

Tx for the mail a they need some of those stars back soon to start forming combinations - old boys day at GT this weekend so we will see a big improvement from the Terrace players....

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
O'Callaghan Cup preview on the Courier-Mail website.

Tim Horan recalls the time he nearly cost Downlands a loss when he gave away a penalty on full-time. Kick went short, Jason Little could only laugh from across the field. 6-all draw in 1987

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...k/news-story/baccdabb3b17c663fb48b8fa41516610

Teams:

TOOWOOMBA GRAMMAR SCHOOL VS DOWNLANDS COLLEGE TEAMS (15-1)

TGS: Dayne Shadlow, Allister Cameron, Will Purcell, Jacob Gross, Kai Rahui, Baxter Franey, Wilson Cochrane, Seaton Siegfried, Dougal Gray (C), George Wunsch, Hamish Muller, Cooper Bridgeman, Tim Fainga’Anuku, Will Jauncey, Dominic Mifsud
DC: Mac Grealy (C), George Ryan, Darcy Reed, Zalyrius Patelesio-Faamusuli, Jasper Curran, Michael van Rooyen, Kai Duggan, Willem Pienaar, Joey Norton, Fletcher Tonkin, Jed Campbell, Mick Ryan, Matt Zeidler, Josh Collins (VC), Tom McCosker

P

Patriot

I couldn’t agree less. Nudgee has a rugby culture that runs from the As to the Gs and they win or compete as strongly through the grades equally or more strongly than their First XV. Unless they are offering rugby scholarships for their 13Gs etc. it’s more likely that they have a strong rugby culture rather than just sugar coating with a First XV.

Yeah, depends what your definition of a strong rugby culture is. I would say there is a winning culture around the place...win at all costs, and who cares about loyalty, honesty and character which in my opinion, is what a rugby culture is.

Just to clarify my comments are Rugby program specific.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping for round 2 can be done HERE

I will only add tips to the ladder done through the form, I don't have time to go through all the posts here to find them, Cheers.

There could be some big scores in some of the games this weekend.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the overall rugby culture in GPS is amazing, as it is at all of the schools. The importance placed on the 1st XV competition is higher than most school sports around the world. The way the boys go out each weekend and put in their best efforts is to be commended.

It is not perfect in any way though, it is an addition to the education the boys are receiving and an opportunity to learn life skills and develop deeper relationships with their peers. For schools to put out 30+ teams on a weekend is a huge strain on coaching resources. A lot of the coaches are teachers trying to help out or old boys wanting to give back to the schools that gave them so much. Some of these coaches will want to win at all costs, some will want to see the team, and their players, develop over the season. My hat goes off to the Heads of Rugby for managing the process.

I agree with the concept of each school having a scrum coach to train up the students, I know a few do. Running a Front Row Ready program adds an element of safety to the entire program. Simon Raiwalui did a great session on scrums for coaches at St Laurence's on Wednesday evening, regarding strengthening necks and maintaining a strong, functional position.

And in regards to the most important part of the entire program, do yourself a favour and have a cheeseburger when you head out to Tennyson, they are heavenly.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Augustus burgers they are called from Peter Augustus Craft Butcher in the Valley, one of the coolest butcher shops I've seen and a great supporter of GT.

So just a short drive into the Valley for those not prepared to cross the river.;)

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think the overall rugby culture in GPS is amazing, as it is at all of the schools. The importance placed on the 1st XV competition is higher than most school sports around the world. The way the boys go out each weekend and put in their best efforts is to be commended.

It is not perfect in any way though, it is an addition to the education the boys are receiving and an opportunity to learn life skills and develop deeper relationships with their peers. For schools to put out 30+ teams on a weekend is a huge strain on coaching resources. A lot of the coaches are teachers trying to help out or old boys wanting to give back to the schools that gave them so much. Some of these coaches will want to win at all costs, some will want to see the team, and their players, develop over the season. My hat goes off to the Heads of Rugby for managing the process.

I agree with the concept of each school having a scrum coach to train up the students, I know a few do. Running a Front Row Ready program adds an element of safety to the entire program. Simon Raiwalui did a great session on scrums for coaches at St Laurence's on Wednesday evening, regarding strengthening necks and maintaining a strong, functional position.

And in regards to the most important part of the entire program, do yourself a favour and have a cheeseburger when you head out to Tennyson, they are heavenly.

Here Here! couldn't agree more. It's the opportunity to young men and what that gives to society in general; not this win at all costs stuff. I could appear like that to some, but it's not. I'm sure players/coaches/schools want to win, but the world doesn't stop turning if they don't and they will all live to fight another day, hopefully better for the experience.

As for the burgers, I'll leave them for others; maybe I'll have one next year!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Augustus burgers they are called from Peter Augustus Craft Butcher in the Valley, one of the coolest butcher shops I've seen and a great supporter of GT.

So just a short drive into the Valley for those not prepared to cross the river.;)

Brioche Bun for these Augusto Cheese Burgers ?

Egg and Bacon options ?

Beetroot ? ( you can beat an egg but you can’t beet a ....)

In my quest for who has the got the best burger around the grounds over the last few years I have observed the following :

1. BGS, by far , have the greatest range of add on options and condiments . Very aspirant.

2. The Jockey's whip marks are still able to be evidenced in the IGS patty

3. TSS has taste but the fat sticks to the roof of your mouth for days. Must be a Gold Coast thing. I think they are missing out on a Surf and Turf option. One for the suggestion box.

4. For a program as consistent and memorable as what Nudgee can boast , sadly , they can't lay similar claim to their inconsistent and thoroughly unmemorable burgers that generally are racked a mile high and stone cold. Cut to the chase and toddle across the road at half time and grab yourself a Big Dad Pie.

5. TGS are undoubtedly the biggest disappointment in GPS Burgerville. Maybe being in the heartlands of primary production wonderment the problem is actually ours where we expect way too much from our Country Cousins. Or it could just be that since Well Camp became operational it's just easier to get all the good shit elsewhere mo'quickly and for mo'money. And Joe Schmoe punter is left with a stringy , flaccid offering that has been sitting in a bain marie tray since last home game served up on soggy buns. Lift your game Toowoomba ! You should be a perennial winner of the GPS Burger Premiership!

6. State High's Hamburger Helper is the best in all of GPS

7. BBC have been uber consistent for a while now but still haven't managed to nail a burger premiership ( maybe this year ) But with a far queue every where I look the money has piled in hand over fist , so much so , that the Rugby Canteen now boasts annual GDP in excess to that of Tasmania

8. Churchie . The Doyens of GPS Burgerville. Like Stacey's Mom they got it going on. Ever since canines were banned from the campus a number of years ago , Rugby , and Burger aficionados can enjoy their chow with no bow wow - a burger experience to be enjoyed in confidence from a Premiership winning 3 peat canteen ( 2016 , 2017 and 2018 )

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ANGLICAN CHURCH GRAMMAR SCHOOL VS THE SOUTHPORT SCHOOL (15-1)

ACGS: Sam Farrar, Henry Caswell, Larzlo Sword, Larson Dale-Doyle, Jack Richardson, Toby McGovern-Cubby, Henry Wilson, Izi Sword, George Stoddart, Aidan King (c), Ewan Marr, Hugo Schreuder, Ben Ryan, Max Craig, Tom Zuidam

In: None. Out: None.

TSS: Dion Samuela, Kaleb Ngamanu, Jojo Fifita, Jesse Gray, Hamish Roberts, Syris Schmidt, Hudson Meyer, Luc Lyndon, Ngiyaani Waters, Michael van der Schyff, Wilson Blyth, Marlon Jones, Zane Nonggorr (c), George Nield, George Blake.

GREGORY TERRACE VS BRISBANE BOYS’ COLLEGE (15-1)

GT: Quinn Siolo, Ben Hearne, Glen Vaihu, Jordyn Bell, David Vaihu, Patrick Elekana, Henry Davis, Aidan Chambers, Louis Jorgensen (c), Charles Condon, Xavier Boyle, Fergus Nasser, Ezekiel Amituanai, Rory Slevin, Noah Stevens

In: Fergus Nasser. Out: Marly Bitungane (injury)

BBC: Taj Annan, Byron Johnson, Jack Howarth, Lukas Ripley, Brad Altman, Mason Gordon, Will Stevens, George Gibson, Sam Kelly-Knowles, Zac Hough, Jacob Blyton (c), Hugo Perceval, Henry Pettit, James Durheim, Andrew Romano.

In: Henry Pettit. Out: Jake Tierney (injury)

BRISBANE STATE HIGH SCHOOL VS NUDGEE COLLEGE (15-1)

BSHS: Damian Vukovic, Sefa Inivale, Sam Sili, Wian Joubert, Ezra Howe, Moses Jones, Sanni Siliva, Alapati So’oalo, Kai Johnstone, Caleb Edwards, Tom Duke, Ben Bartlett, Jaiden Christian, Josh Mahina, Linston Tafa-Tuimavave (c)

In: Ben Bartlett, Ezra Howe. Out: Trey Soli (injury), Ben Nielsen (16As)

NC: Athen Waia, Daniel Muller, Eyzaiah Ulia, Lastus Auakai, Trezman Banjo, Reesjan Pasitoa, Finn Hearn, Titi Nofoagatota, Mitch Lowrie, Jock Thompson, Daniel Lemau, Charlie Hayes, Harry Vella (c), Ronin Nutley, Will Jones

In: Trezman Banjo. Out: Robert Mapa (16As)

BRISBANE GRAMMAR SCHOOL VS IPSWICH GRAMMAR SCHOOL (15-1)

BGS: TBC

IGS: Kedan Chan-Tung, Seamus King-Smith, Ethan King, Christian Krause, Malique Douthat-Sjoberg, Sam Walker, Kalani Thomas, Xavier Stowers, Konrad Wallace, Jack Webber (c), Dillon Stone, Jordan Penquitt, Romeo Tanielu, Ben Murphy, Saipele Tamilo