• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Very Dissapoining Side.
Nick Frisby in front of Grasso and Genia?
Andy Owens in Front of Alex Hazenburg, Sionne Fekitalau or any other front rower in the competition.
Nemiah Tupusse?

Rob Rutledge has played 1 game in 8 weeks. I hear he is on his way to Sunny Bank or Uni next year?

Nick Frisby has been the best player in the colts comp all year and would have been first picked. Sam Grasso (QLD A scrum half) is very unlucky to miss out as is the souths 9.
Andy Owens ability to cover all positions in the front 3 would have helped him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So GPS will be playing Gold Coast in the GF after dishing up Uni yesterday.

Preliminary Final
GPS 50 (C Nasiganiyavi 3, M Garland, D Lindsay, J Bremner, T Winkley, T Richards tries P Smith 5 cons) d University 33 (G Morseu 2, S Rasolea, K Boucaut, T Mills tries, S Hopkins 4 cons)

I'm not sure if it is a good thing for 83 points to be scored in 70 mins of rugby but the game was entertaining to a point. GPS scored a couple of early tries and managed to stay ahead of Uni the whole game. Frisby was very good but it was GPS' ability to defend at key moments and to score whenever Uni were getting back into the game that was the key to their success.

Next weekend will be an interesting match and hopefully there is a big crowd at Ballymore to watch this game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Having had my team play against GPS and Brothers over the last couple of weeks I would have to say that Frisby was by far the more dangerous player. While I have seen Grasso rip teams apart in the past I haven't seen the same from him when I have watched him this year. I would have thought Genia would have been in the mix with the amount of Premier exposure he has had this year.

I would have thought Kenny Robertson would have to be considered too.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So the Grand Final this weekend comes down to the teams that finished 1 and 2 after the regular season. Gold Coast beat GPS 30-28 two weeks ago but since then GPS dispatched the students 50-33 so they are in a points scoring frame of mind. I think, like most Grand Finals, this will come down to defence. GPS had the best defence in the regular season but have given away over 60 points in the last few weeks. Gold Coast have had the week off and that would be a benefit if they have had any players carrying injuries. Sometimes it can be a issue though so I guess it will be a case of wait and see.
I would have said that Gold Coast would win this last week but after seeing GPS on the weekend I am not so sure. I think I will tip the Breakers to win by 5 with no confidence in my tipping ability. It should be a good game and hopefully we see some exciting attacking rugby.

R

Rothschild

Thought I should put up the Brisbane U19 team

Brisbane Under 19 (blue and gold hoops)

1 Lyall Fidow (University)
2 Alex Casey (Souths)
3 William Tuli (Sunnybank)
4 Stuart Williamson (Souths)
5 Dan McGhee (University)
6 Jordan Tuapou (Easts)
7 Charlie Freney (Brothers)
8 Luke Beauchamp (Brothers)
9 Nick Frisby (GPS)
10 Cayden Matehaere (Sunnybank)
11 Chris Nasiganiyavi (GPS)
12 Junior Rasolea (University)
13 Tevita Kuridrani (University)
14 Matt Garland (GPS)
15 Jason Hofmeyr (Sunnybank)

16 Andrew Owens (Sunnybank)
17 Dom Rakei (Easts)
18 Michael Stolberg (Easts)
19 Rob Rutledge (Wests)
20 Kieran Williamson (Easts)
21 Hugh Stitt (Brothers)
22 George Morseu (University)

You would have Caden in front of Dion Taumata???
And is Dion playing in the Breakers team in the GF considering the Qld contingent of the Oz schools team flies out i the morning?

C

chief

Today's Premier Grand final was won by GPS 25-10. It was wet, and a dull match, both teams simply kicking. I have also just witnessed one of the more poorer displays of Ruck refereeing in quite a long time. At every ruck GPS left their feet, every single ruck. There was no access to the ball whatsoever for the Gold Coast. Having no affiliation with either team, I was disappointed that something like that was allowed to happen all game, Gold Coast remained on feet, GPS simply did not and made no attempt to either.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You would have Caden in front of Dion Taumata???
And is Dion playing in the Breakers team in the GF considering the Qld contingent of the Oz schools team flies out i the morning?

Gold Coast players aren't eligible for the Brisbane U19 team. I would say he will start for Qld Country U19.

R

Rothschild

Gold Coast players aren't eligible for the Brisbane U19 team. I would say he will start for Qld Country U19.

Thanks for that - sorry to have questioned you. I haven't been involved much at that level up here.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Today's Premier Grand final was won by GPS 25-10. It was wet, and a dull match, both teams simply kicking. I have also just witnessed one of the more poorer displays of Ruck refereeing in quite a long time. At every ruck GPS left their feet, every single ruck. There was no access to the ball whatsoever for the Gold Coast. Having no affiliation with either team, I was disappointed that something like that was allowed to happen all game, Gold Coast remained on feet, GPS simply did not and made no attempt to either.

I didn't see the game yesterday but that has been a real issue all year. The refs have such a big influence on games at this level. I would have thought that for a grand final you would have the top refs doing the important games. I am all for development of talent but I sit there scratching my head some times.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Congratulations to GPS for winning the Premier Colts title. They had a slow start to the year but then hit form and maintained it for the remainder of the season. From what I here they are quite a tight bunch of guys and I think that has a big influence at this level. Lets hope that they go one to play a big part in GPS Premier grade squad in the years to come.

Premier Colts:
Grand Final
GPS 25 (P Smith, T Winkley tries, P Smith 5 pens) d Gold Coast 10 (A Aberg try, D Taumata con, pen)

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I didn't see the game yesterday but that has been a real issue all year. The refs have such a big influence on games at this level. I would have thought that for a grand final you would have the top refs doing the important games. I am all for development of talent but I sit there scratching my head some times.

I can't defend the ref as I didn't see the game either. However I can assure you the bloke that reffed the game is one of the top rated refs who has done plenty of Premier, Premier Colts, etc. There was no "development" involved in the appointment.
Looking forward to Jets & Chief showing us all how its done next year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I can't defend the ref as I didn't see the game either. However I can assure you the bloke that reffed the game is one of the top rated refs who has done plenty of Premier, Premier Colts, etc. There was no "development" involved in the appointment.

I looked into it and it seems that he has refereed Premier grade and the powers that be must see him as one of the better refs in Brisbane. I think he normally does quite a good job and I was going off second hand info from a couple of different sources.

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
'I would have thought Genia would have been in the mix with the amount of Premier exposure he has had this year'
Nigel Genia has been drafted into the Open Brisbane squad for next week's City v Country tournament.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)

Not forgetting El Dommo (on the blog) who has a Prem Colts side next year as well.

You're probably aware (but if you're not) Frisby was down at the Commonwealth Games Sevens trials in Canberra the week before the Grand Final. Serious talent who's going places....

A fair few of the GPS Colts team will be back in 2011 and I hear they've recruited some goers for next year.

P

Pinoy

Has there been any Prem colts contracted to Reds recently? Or does that rarely happen?

P

pig

i think all in all this was a very exciting year in Premier Colts. GPS played well in the finals but fielded teams in all 3 colts groups that didn't resemble extremely accurately the season regulars. Thats a bit of a trend at GPS and im not sure if its really 'rugby', but they did well this year to bring home a few premierships. The U19 team has a few interesting inclusions such as Owens, Rakei, Rutledge, freney, McGhee, Fidow. In my opinion all these players were not the best performers in their position with Rakei playing majority of games off the bench, really a colts 1 player???? Same for Fidow on occasion. I find your comment lion about owens selection being due to playing for sunnybank a bit rich. If anything playing for sunnybank inhibits your selection potential. i know uni and broths have rivalry and GPS and us (easts) but everybody hates sunnybank. i think both there locks were unlucky to not be selected over stolberg and Mcghee. They both played good hard footy all year and both seem to have a bit of potential. Please dont think im a sunnybank horn blower. Im an easts man through and through. Just giving credit were imo it is due.

yoke

Bob McCowan (2)
pig, why does everyone hate sunnybank? i am an old washed up rugby follower who just loves the game so i don't lean towards any particular club. from an outsider looking in, sunnybank have come along way, and seem to do alot for the game and the community.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
pig...i think you'll find that most clubs hate easts. dont ask me why but many people I have spoken to think of them being on par with Brothers in terms of arrogance and attitude. ps dont shoot me for this, Im just stating what has been said to me by a number of people...

Status
Not open for further replies.