• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Pig in 2 years Lyall Fidow has only missed 2 games from premier colts (both through injury)
The only time he has spent on the bench has been for Premier grade.
I would also say that Freney would have been an easy selection after a great season in premier grade for Brothers

Also for those interested there have been some late changes to the city team
With Sam Grasso coming in for the sick Kieran Williamson
Con Foley in for the injuried Chris Nasiganiyavi
Genia has also been called up into the open team

D

Doc

Most people hate several clubs for a few reasons. Sunnybank itself is probably not that hated from the point of view it isn't old enough to have any real rivalries (tho kinda with souths). Most peoples issue with sbank is personnel based, not the club itself.

Great to see Con Foley get a call up. Ben O'Connor falls even further in pecking order at 9, not surprising considering Souths still treat prem colts like 3rd grade. And Red Heavy I agree about Freney kept some real talent out of the Filth's prem side and while Lyle is too small to go on, he's had two good years of prem colts, so should be there.

L

leftside

i think all in all this was a very exciting year in Premier Colts. GPS played well in the finals but fielded teams in all 3 colts groups that didn't resemble extremely accurately the season regulars. Thats a bit of a trend at GPS and im not sure if its really 'rugby', but they did well this year to bring home a few premierships. The U19 team has a few interesting inclusions such as Owens, Rakei, Rutledge, freney, McGhee, Fidow. In my opinion all these players were not the best performers in their position with Rakei playing majority of games off the bench, really a colts 1 player???? Same for Fidow on occasion. I find your comment lion about owens selection being due to playing for sunnybank a bit rich. If anything playing for sunnybank inhibits your selection potential. i know uni and broths have rivalry and GPS and us (easts) but everybody hates sunnybank. i think both there locks were unlucky to not be selected over stolberg and Mcghee. They both played good hard footy all year and both seem to have a bit of potential. Please dont think im a sunnybank horn blower. Im an easts man through and through. Just giving credit were imo it is due.

haha credit where credits due, GPS had two players playing in the prem colts finals that didn't play for the year, and one of those players was off the bench. This comes after they finished second on the table, losing one of their last 13 round games, with none of these players. In addition, colts 1 finished top of the table, only losing 2 games. And how is it possible for colts 1 to introduce new players at finals? They have to have played a certain number of games throughout the regular season to even be eligible to play finals??

Finally, how can a club in which all three colts teams made the grand final, possibly stack their teams? If they did then would this not weaken the higher teams? ie stacking colts 1 with prem colts would weaken prem colts. I think that you should have a look at some other teams eg Sunnybank colts 1, to realise that the team they fielded in the grand final was vastly different to any other team they had fielded throughout the season, they even included a Prem grade player in their team...

P

pig

all fair comments guys. does anyone think something could be put in place to develop these good young players???

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone who headed out today it would be great to get a report on how the game went. Pity about the weather.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
i think all in all this was a very exciting year in Premier Colts. GPS played well in the finals but fielded teams in all 3 colts groups that didn't resemble extremely accurately the season regulars. Thats a bit of a trend at GPS and im not sure if its really 'rugby', but they did well this year to bring home a few premierships.

I have to agree with Punter, Pig and can't let you get away with this rubbish. I attended most GPS Colts 1 and Premier Colts matches this year and the Grand Final teams were a true reflection of their season. There were a couple of schoolboy First XV players on the bench who'd come to the club after their school comp had finished and that was about it, apart from a Premier Grade winger who was Prem Colts eligible (Matt Garland).

They won the Premier Colts and Colts 1 Grand Finals (and had Colts 3 in the GF as well) because they're a club with some depth and these three teams performed consistently throughout the season. Colts 1 didn't lose a game in the first round - that only happened in the 2nd due to players being promoted to Prem Colts (injury), or having their own injury issues. The Prem Colts GF bench were primarily Colts 1 players, likewise the Colts 1 GF bench were Colts 2 guys etc.

P

pickle

city got up on country by 2 points i think, close game city lead convincingly before a tough comeback from country who were only denied a victory by a try 4 minutes out from full time

N

Noddy

is there any word out there about which colts teams are looking strong for next year or is it still to early to tell??

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
is there any word out there about which colts teams are looking strong for next year or is it still to early to tell??

I know that Uni only have a couple of guys from this years squad who will be back next year. It is very early to work out teams as a lot of guys don't make up their mind until training has started next year.

RR maybe it is the real Noddy :)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
QUOTE DELETED - MODS!

Big call TT. What has he done to upset you so?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep, I'm deleting that post. Baseless abuse. If you have something to back it up, do. But don't go around calling people wankers or wankas.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This thread is now closed and a couple of posts transferred to a new 2011 thread. Thanks for all the good oil in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.