• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Jeeps destroyed Uni in the second half to run away with the game after there only being a few points in it at half time. Radike looked disinterested at times but that was more than made up for by the rest of the GPS players who thoroughly out-enthused the Uni team.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Good to see the Breakers get a bonus point victory at Norths today which is always a tough place to visit. 39-24 up, Wests over the other coast 17-6, the dragons beat the tigers by 1, brethren over te magpies 24-11, Gallopers too good for the students 41-26. The Breakers showed glimpses of some potential and gifted 14points to Norths via two intercept tries but had enough to pull away when it mattered.

AshgroveGalloper

Frank Row (1)
Report from GPS Website.

Reserves ran on, but Seconds stopped the rot and started a revival with a 15 10 win over Uni.
By 3:20 pm the Reserves had a good win under the belt 27 17 and Scotney (6th grade) were ahead 22 7 (the final score)
Both teams fielded recovering Reds (Rod Davies for Uni and Radike Samo for Jeeps, and it was the Rocket, Rod Davies who opened the scoring in the second minute with a try in the corner 0-7. Four minutes later we had gained enough territory for Pat Smith to knock over a penalty 3-7. Uni countered immediately with the forwards pressing the Jeeps line until the forwards go over in the corner in front of the ladies tent 3-12.
Jeeps defence stiffened and it was another 10 minuted before a great break down the clubhouse line by Akeem Coveney saw a 60m run to the corner. 8-12. A few minutes later and Akeem was at it again with a repeat performance. 13-12.
With 10 minutes to half time, Uni were pressing the Jeeps line when Hooker Liam Ferguson wore a yellow card. Three minutes later, the Uni forwards muscled over against the weakened defence. 13-19.
pat Smith slotted another penalty, 16-19, before a slippery run by Todd Winkley put James Herbert over for a try and a half time lead of 23-19.
The second half saw Jeeps tighten defence further and begin moving the ball around more. Whether it was superior fitness, or words from Coach Shane Arnold, the team looked sharper. Pat Smith kicked another penalty, 28-19 before in the 27th minute, Jeeps were displaying good skills moving the ball from right to left in Uni's quarter only to have an intercept take play back into the Jeeps half. Again defence held and a superb kick down field found the line only 7m out. From the lineout, Mitch King snatched the ball from Uni to score the bonus point try33-19.
Moments later a missed kick by uni saw Mitch repeat the performance, scooping up the ball and busting over for try number 5. 38-19.
Uni kept the attack up, but Jeeps defence was up to the task and with 12 minutes to go, Pat Smith kicked another penalty, 41-19.
Uni never gave up and with 4 minutes to go clawed their way over for their bonus point. 41-26, the final score.
The referees named Pat Smith man of the match and the inaugural Hally Appleby Cup was presented to Jeeps.

- This is interesting, considering that the side still has the following players to return:

Byron Roberts (wing), Jnr Rasolea (aus academy), Pama Fou (aus academy), Jay Havelu (aus academy), Chris Nysingiyavi (reds academy), Matthew Garland, Nathan Nicol (NSW Academy), Nick Frisby (Reds).

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
3:00pm - Wests v Sunshine Coast at Sedgman oval Wests: H Brown, M Lee, R Leilua, P Ubergang, A Campbell, A Brown, C Anderson, F Statham, N Genia, B Damen, E Bowden, T Middlin, B Gillespie, D Smith, B Lainchbury

Am I the only one who's glad to see Brett return to his original club ;)

From what I hear, there's also talk about Laufutu coming back from France to play in the remaining games?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Am I the only one who's glad to see Brett return to his original club ;)

From what I hear, there's also talk about Laufutu coming back from France to play in the remaining games?

Cottrell will be back from the force soon as well. Which would round out the backrow nicely.

What happened to Ian Aukuso?

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
The Dogs got away with the game against Sunny Coast, not because they were in danger of losing it but because they looked as if they had no idea how to win it....if that makes sense?!?!

SC were by far the better for the first half but unfortunately for them don't seem to have the weapons to score points. SC had great structure and seemed very organised in attack but as I said, were firing blanks.

The Dogs looked like the forwards and backs had never run together as they were so totally out-enthused and pressured into mistakes by the Stingrays.

The second half the Dogs got their shit together enough to outlast the opposition and score some points. Once again, the Dogs may not well as bother at lineout but are often saved by their powerful scrum.

Brett Gillespie had some great touches. Sweet hands. Set up one try and put another player into a hole that should have ended in a try but for a shitful last pass.

Hard to see either team getting near the semis unless there is a dramatic improvement.

Having said all that, what a top arvo having a few cans in the winter sun watching two committed teams.

T

tranquility

Whats the story on the Cox brothers at Easts? Where have they come from and why all the hype?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Whats the story on the Cox brothers at Easts? Where have they come from and why all the hype?
Not that much hype really. Both 20 (?) from the Gold Coast, Sean was colt of the year last season and is in the national academy, but has been injured since pre-season, where he tore up as a fullback or outside center. Sam is currently playing 15 and doing pretty well from what I've seen (heard). But Sean is definatly the better of the two, and should be back pretty soon.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone who is interested in Club Rugby news & wrap up of weekends results.

ABC Grandstand now has a weekly show they do on Monday afternoons/nights.

They cover Sydney, ACT & Brisbane competitions.. I gave it a listen last night for debut show & I'll be tuning in next week cause it was worthwhile.

Sorry cant provide a link ATM.. If anyone wants to listen just google

"grandstand club rugby show"

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Obviously a big game coming up at Yoku Road, Ashgrove between two undefeated teams in Brothers & GPS.
Brothers are the comp leaders one point ahead of GPS.
Any predictions as to who are favourites for the game?
Although I'm a GPS supporter and ex-player, I don't really know the make up of the team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With the games on this weekend, depending on results, it might be a case of a gap opening up between the top 5 and the bottom 5.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
They are from down Lismore way. Got selected in the NTS (not sure if it was both of them), finished high school at TSS, played for GC last year then moved to Brisbane.

W

What2040

Not that much hype really. Both 20 (?) from the Gold Coast, Sean was colt of the year last season and is in the national academy, but has been injured since pre-season, where he tore up as a fullback or outside center. Sam is currently playing 15 and doing pretty well from what I've seen (heard). But Sean is definatly the better of the two, and should be back pretty soon.

Sean the much better of the two twins. Tough, dedicated and a "never say die attitude" Other chap is a poor 10 and lucky to be Prems - probably ok in reserve or third grade at 10, but just. Heard he was playing 15 and supposedly going ok.

Sean has potential to make 7's IMO

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Josh Afu was down at Sunnybank training last night. Unfortunately it was just to stay fit for the upcoming Pacific Nations Cup where he will be playing for Tonga. Would be good to see him back in Premier rugby after he tore up the competition in 2007.

Marshall09

Frank Row (1)
Anyone who is interested in Club Rugby news & wrap up of weekends results.

ABC Grandstand now has a weekly show they do on Monday afternoons/nights.

They cover Sydney, ACT & Brisbane competitions.. I gave it a listen last night for debut show & I'll be tuning in next week cause it was worthwhile.

Sorry cant provide a link ATM.. If anyone wants to listen just google

"grandstand club rugby show"

Tuned into this and its quite a good show and provides great insight into the Prems Comp.
thanks for the heads up

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni v sunnybank at St Lucia could have a good crowd if the rain stays away. UQ Ladies day is on and all 450 tickets have been sold to make it a sell out for the second year in a row. Hopefully the girls, a sunny day and some good footy attracts a few more punters down as well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sun should be out but today but there might be a bit of breeze so the girls will have to rug up. I feel sorry for the guys that are working as wait staff. No shirts and a bow tie seems to be the go judging from the past.

Red slug

Stan Wickham (3)
IMG_1097[1].JPG Magnificent unpredicted sunny day at Albert Park for the GC Breakers vs Souths game ready for another game of Premier Rugby to change my mind about the skill level of this level of the game. Must say no atmosphere, scared to yell out, everybody is so quiet except the visitors supporters that bang the signage at every win of the ball and try. But back to the game skills were a bit better with the two teams. South's no.9 was amazing kept South's in the game the until 15mins after half time when he was injured and taken from the field. Breakers had some really good plays but suffered with the finishing handling was better than the West vs Breakers game. South's definitely looked and worked better as a team. They have this very fast running tighthead prop that can run like a winger, great to watch in flight with the ball tucked under his arm. The Breakers were even 13 a piece with Souths at half time and only in the last 10mins did Souths break away still happy to go a watch more 3rd Tier games not sure if I have the heart to support only one team really only love to scream for the Reds. GC Breakers 13 -20 Souths.

Status
Not open for further replies.