• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
You're right on all accounts.

Anae is being converted to a prop and it all went pretty well. If he picks up a game or 2 at hooker he'd be a VERY handy Wallaby squad member next world cup.

Davis is converting to hooker but his lineouts are regarded to need much more work.

Well, almost - Anae was a prop that the Reds tried to convert to a prop/hooker.

There's no third hooker in the Reds squad of 35 or in the Reds College so they have gone down the prop/hooker route.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

There's no third hooker in the Reds squad of 35 or in the Reds College so they have gone down the prop/hooker route.

Fair enough. It's worrying for the Reds that they're 1 injury away from having to chose between 2 guys who haven't played much hooker then.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Kevin Davis (EPS) is following the same path as Anae, being converted into a prop/hooker. He played there in the pre-season.So between 4 players in the 35, you'd say we have about 2 hookers and two half hookers.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Its all very strange considering there are some very talented hookers running around the brisbane and sydney.....

Ngaumo, Wade and Coady spring to mind.

Don't get me wrong i love anae and think he is fantatic but i could take or leave Davis

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wow the weak get weaker & the strong get stronger. Can't really fault this Meehan kid choosing Sunnybank, they have a half decent oval, a talented team & a world class gym setup. Going to suck for some player who plays All year long does his part to get the team to the finals only to be dropped for some talented u20 or contracted Reds returning for the finals.

A reason I believe Tim Mosey might of come back to the Dogs, plays most of the year for the Premier Heavies only to lose out from a 1-22 jersey when the floodgates of representative players return to St Lucia to save the day.
I guess it comes down to how you manage the players. If you are upfront with them then it seems to be an easier transition. Also there are plenty of examples of Premier players keeping their spots when rep players return. In 2011 Ben Adams continued to play 7 for the Dragons after Gill returned.
Also it has to be made aware to players that everyone who plays Premier during the year wins the premiership no just the guys who play on GF day.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Valid point JETS,

I did admire the coach at GPS back in the day who told Will Genia to take a seat come finals time because he was rolling with his regular season #9.

No idea which coach that was but might of cost GPS the chance to be associated with one if the greatest halfbacks of this generation because Sanchez moved on the following year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It was Mick Heenan. He seems to have recovered from it ok, having won a few premierships in the last few years with Uni.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
It was Mick Heenan. He seems to have recovered from it ok, having won a few premierships in the last few years with Uni.

To be fair, Tom Sully was an extremely handy halfback, I would suggest that with a bit more size he could have played higher !

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can understand coaches going the "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" approach, but Genia was a contracted Reds player so it's definitely a conundrum coaches have to deal with #egomassaging

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Ironically, SouthernX it's the same Mick Heenan that would've made the call to drop Tim Mosey who "play(ed) most of the year for the Premier Heavies only to lose out from a 1-22 jersey when the floodgates of representative players return(ed) to St Lucia to save the day."

There's just no winning, hey... :)

In situations like that I am abundantly glad I'm not the coach, but it always makes you respect those players who cop it on the chin and put the team first. For example when Will Tuffley was pushed back down the grades after being in Prems all year he made the effort to get to training early and stay after, ensuring the bloke who was taking his jersey knew the game plan and understood how the backline worked. I also can't fault Mosey's attitude - players like that are gold to clubs and Mosey will be a fantastic addition back at Wests this year.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thinking about it a bit more the Genia snub for GPS might not have had anything to do with skill but more so combination/chemistry with 9 & 10.

Still it was a bold decision by Heenan & I respect that. I bet he enjoys having the minibus of selection headaches which come with the returning reds & rep players back down to the heavies then say GPS
Players which was Ben Tune & Will Genia as I recall.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
In any case if i was campbell wakely, Lyal Fidow or kieran fitzgibbon i would be a little upset

Sorry - missed this one earlier.

Jono Owen is a prop. Lyal Fidow and Campbell Wakely are both hookers. Kieran Fitzgibbon did his ACL last season - a player of his weight won't be back to Premier Grade standard Prop inside 12 months so he won't be available most of the season. Not sure any of the three would be too upset about Owen coming to the club.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I was under the impression that fidow and wakely both played loosehead at some point or another for reserves and prems if not its interesting because i can proably find the team lists that said they did

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So come finals time, University could be fielding a front row of:
1- Jono Owen
2- James Hanson
3- Kevin Davis

Well that's just not fair! haha. What happened to Guy Shepherdson?

But that being said, I think Sunnybank could give them a run in the front row during the finals as well.
1- Greg Holmes
2- Albert Anae
3- Paul Alo-Emile
16- Maile Nguamo

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
So come finals time, University could be fielding a front row of:
1- Jono Owen
2- James Hanson
3- Kevin Davis

Well that's just not fair! haha. What happened to Guy Shepherdson?

But that being said, I think Sunnybank could give them a run in the front row during the finals as well.
1- Greg Holmes
2- Albert Anae
3- Paul Alo-Emile
16- Maile Nguamo

What happened to Maile last year? fell of the radar a little but did he get an injury at some point?

P.s Easts have nothing to shake a fits at either

Kimmince, Paraka, Ready and Bermingham are/were all academy players

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Both Wakely and Fidow play LHP but if you ask them they will tell you they are Hookers. I think that's the point that Cat_A is making. Also from my experience you need 2 good frontrows to be competitive at Premier level. If you bring on a weaker prop the opposition will take advantage so it's good to have some depth. Also there is benefit of training against good opposition as it will make you better so if I was one of these players I'd see it as an opportunity to challenge myself week in and week out.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Ah - that was quick - nice one.

But all the same, I'm still not sure Fidow and Wakely, who are hookers (may play prop sometimes as you've just shown) would be upset about another prop coming to the club and playing in a position that is not their preferred position

Status
Not open for further replies.