• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What happened to Maile last year? fell of the radar a little but did he get an injury at some point?

P.s Easts have nothing to shake a fits at either

Kimmince, Paraka, Ready and Bermingham are/were all academy players
Maile went away with the 20's and came back and played Premier. He was the hooker in the GF for Sunnybank.
Last Friday he played for WA Gold v Rebel Rising as a one off appearance as the Force are short of hookers at the moment. He was only 18 last year and it's a hard ask for someone that young to play consistently well for the entire year. Not saying he didn't but I am expecting him to have a good season this year and he will probably pick up a contract in the next 2 years.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm still not taken with Bermingham. I guess he is another one who is quite young though so has plenty of time to develop.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Aside from consistency of form, it also must have been tough dealing with the exhaustion and stress of the ridculous amount of travel and training that went hand-in-hand with the U20 World Cup; and THEN still be the starting hooker in the GF after the team going through the "hard way" (ie: must-win games leading in to it & no byes at all).

That he was only 18 & doing so in the front row at Sunnybank is pretty incredible - I did not realise he was that young.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm still not taken with Bermingham. I guess he is another one who is quite young though so has plenty of time to develop.
It was unfortunate that Bermo got injured when he did last season, because he was starting to mature a lot more and was playing some really good footy. He'll be 20 this year, so he is still developing as a player, but from the signs he showed before injury last year, he can turn into a really good prop. Time will tell. Very young Easts front row this year, hopefully they can all stay fit.

On Nguamo, the two times I saw him play last season I thought he was really impressive. I did not know he was only 18 as well.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Ah - that was quick - nice one.

But all the same, I'm still not sure Fidow and Wakely, who are hookers (may play prop sometimes as you've just shown) would be upset about another prop coming to the club and playing in a position that is not their preferred position

Having watched lyall alot in school rep and colts he was a very apt loosehead and vice versa for wakely.

It seems now that for grades football lyall is more of a hooker and wakely more a loosehead........its crazy how things like that happen.

Uni seem to have a knack for converting players from one position to another and nailing it (Ryan Leeson to 13 is a gem that springs to mind and Chibba from 7 to hooker) but in this instance Cat would you say that Lyall and Campbell could have stayed the same? or are they physically,techniquely more suited to their converted positions hooker or LHP?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
It was unfortunate that Bermo got injured when he did last season, because he was starting to mature a lot more and was playing some really good footy. He'll be 20 this year, so he is still developing as a player, but from the signs he showed before injury last year, he can turn into a really good prop. Time will tell. Very young Easts front row this year, hopefully they can all stay fit.

On Nguamo, the two times I saw him play last season I thought he was really impressive. I did not know he was only 18 as well.

I didn't see much of bermo last year but i remmeber thinking in the trial vs wests their was a moment when he was literally picked up in a scrum and driven 5 metres back and i remember thinking 'he isn't ready for this just yet' however in saying that another year older another year wiser.......any easts front row predictions from you for this year tiger now that you have a plethora of handy & stout gentlemen

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry TD for the long response, but I've put a lot of thought into your question.

The easy answer is that both of them want to play whatever position will allow them to play the highest grade (and the same could be said of most rugby players, truth be told) and that they'll play where they're needed in order to do so. I don't mean to be flippant with this statement.

The more honest answer is that for both of them it's too early to tell and where they eventually settle is probably dependent on a lot of factors, few of which have anything to do with their relative position-specific skill levels as very young (18 to 21 yo) front rowers. IMO the potential to go further and play higher (either within the club or professionally) is the greatest determinant of where they want to play, therefore the training they do, and therefore whether they're technically more suited to LHP or Hooker.

When we're talking LHP and hooker (not THP) as I'm sure you're more than aware, at club level (especially when young) there is a huge crossover and players can and will go back and forth between the two positions. Stephen Moore, Heath Tessmann, Lyall, Campbell, Paul Mousa (one for the purists), Palupe - all of these players have in the past, or are still playing both LHP and hooker at Premier grade/Premier colts level (or equivalent).

Players can have a preference for hooker and can tell you they're hookers, and they can do all of the training under the sun to be a hooker. But if an ARU scout says "hey we want to make you a prop - you have a better chance of being selected there in a Super Rugby or Australian side" 9/10 of them will say "ok - I'm a prop now".

(I think if you'd asked a 19yo Mitchell Wade what position he played he would've said "flanker" but the 22yo Mitch Wade after being approached by ARU coaches interested in making him a hooker now says "hooker" so now he's training his arse off, learning all the skills and techniques that will make him a top-flight hooker.)

My point is that we still don't know where Lyall & Campbell are more suited, because their skill is still being developed, any scrummaging or lineout technique they have is pretty basic, and their technique will largely be shaped by the training they are yet to do.

But as of right now both of them are saying they're hookers

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Spent a bit of time with both Lyall and Wakley.
Lyall is an out and out hooker who would of only be playing loose head in reggies because Chibba was back in prems pushing wadey down and Lyall is far to good a player for 2nd grade. Played a lot of prems and put pressure on wade every week to hold a regular spot.

Wakley has divided a lot of people on what is actually his best position as he can play all front 3. Tight head seems to be the general consensus among the people who are better judges then me but as Cat was saying he will play wherever he can go the furtherest.

On Malie I have only seem him play a few games and I think he has a lot of potential for his age but at one of the games he played against uni someone asked me to just watch him and no one else for 10 min. All he did was go from ruck to ruck about 3 back looking for a pick and drive (when he did p&d he was very good). He did not hit one breakdown even when the ball was been turned over right in front of him. In defence he stood at the b/post/2 position and make no tackles or put any pressure at the breakdown. Don't want to seem harsh on someone so young but I expected more from an aus 20's player

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Willie Tuli form Sunnybank Prems/1st Grade has also gone to Easts. They are going to have a log jam of props this year. Hopefully they can keep them all happy as they might loose a few at the end of the year if that isn't the case. I guess this is where the great Tigers culture kicks in?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Willie Tuli form Sunnybank Prems/1st Grade has also gone to Easts. They are going to have a log jam of props this year. Hopefully they can keep them all happy as they might loose a few at the end of the year if that isn't the case. I guess this is where the great Tigers culture kicks in?
The bait will not be taken this season!! It became Easts Posters vs Everyone last season, don't want that again.

But I didn't know about Tuli and Sanday coming, maybe Richards realised that one of the reasons we fell off so badly last year was when Parraka and Bermingham got injured and we had no one decent to play prop.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The bait will not be taken this season!! It became Easts Posters vs Everyone last season, don't want that again.

But I didn't know about Tuli and Sanday coming, maybe Richards realised that one of the reasons we fell off so badly last year was when Parraka and Bermingham got injured and we had no one decent to play prop.

Someone has to say it but if Richards does not deliver a top four finish this year with the calibre of players his disposal, he should be moved on.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Someone has to say it but if Richards does not deliver a top four finish this year with the calibre of players his disposal, he should be moved on.
I mentioned it last season, but his gameplan is baffling sometimes as well, or more his inability to adapt the gameplan during a game.
I wouldn't even say Top 4, with the team we have, fully fit, we should be making the final, or at least making the play off for the final. Sunnybank and University are the top dogs in the competition, but with the team the Tigers have, they should be pushing for the final.

But then again we tend to choke and lose 2 teams worth due to injuries, so no chance haha.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That awesome culture at Easts will prevent any knee jerk reaction of sacking a coach based on some arbitrary ladder position they are expected to get with new talent.

Players move on, such as Skelton and Riley and they get/need to be replaced by new up and coming talent that people on this forum are so quickly to praise but in reality they will take time to become match winners and then Hospital Cup winners.

I think the Easts Board will be looking at how the whole club goes this season on and off the field when they review the individual coaching positions.

I also would think young talented players would have seen the increased match time Easts players are getting, with Eddie and Aidan run on against the Brumbies, Buttler on the bench. These players have performed well for Easts under the Easts coaching staff to earn opportunities at the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.