• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Went out to GPS v Wests today - GPS were totally dominant. Wests kept trying all game but were just hanging on.

Final score 34-8 but have seen tweets claiming it was 38-8. Reality was that Wests scored from 1 of the only 2 visits they had into GPS 22 and GPS blew at least 6 sure tries with poor passes, poor options or dropped balls.

For Wests, Waita Setu was outstanding and Mick Lee was pretty good.

I can't recall a bad player for GPS - Nick Frisby brilliantly set up the first try and looked dangerous all day but also made a lot of mistakes. I thought Radike tried to do a bit too much on his own but was strong.
What would be some key areas for wests to improve Scott? I didn't make the game so your insight would be invaluable

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
They competed well at the breakdown and the scrum had some reasonable moments - unfortunately all other areas were poor. Pains me to say it but the players I've spoken to since game didnt need me to tell them that. They are hurting and working hard to address.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Easts showing they are a Premiership contender with a big win over the Students at St Lucia. Anyone head out?

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Where do the videos get posted?

Premier players should get videos of their games or links to their games recorded by the QRU. The footage is password protected, but I have a few mates from each club who kindly send me the links, so I can enjoy the games at home.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts showing they are a Premiership contender with a big win over the Students at St Lucia. Anyone head out?
Easts were very impressive, although University looked completely lost at times.

The whole Tigers team had a strong game, with Ready and Stollberg leading the way up front, and Toua being his usuall best at the back.

The game was pretty close untill the last 20min where Easts put on two quick tries (two very good tries mind you). Aiden Toua's try was one of the best I've seen in a long time, 30m forward break, a few offloads, a Matt Brandon flick through the legs and then Toua beating 3 defenders. Pretty keen to see the video replay of that one.

I think it was also the strongest team Easts has fielded in a long time. The bench in particular had a lot of strength (Kimmince, Bermingham, Buttler, Gunn, Sean Cox, Placid).

Watch out for Mitch Gunn, first year out of school, got about 30minutes and played the house down.

For Uni, they just looked lost, their 10 is very unpredictable. Their best players were Conor Mitchell who had a high work rate, and Harry Parker on the wing who looks to be a real talent.

They'll bounce back though, they will be filthy with that performance.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not sure which Morahan was at 13 but T.White definitely outplayed him. Also, I was super impressed with Gunn off the bench. Parry might be superior to him over the ball in rucks but he offers too much as a ball runner and support player to be ignored as a starter for long.

If Easts play like that every week then they will be in the finals. However GPS and Brothers have improved a lot this year and Uni and Sunnybank will be extremely good when they get their Reds players back for the Super Rugby 3 week break and after the Super Rugby Finals.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Not sure which Morahan was at 13 but T.White definitely outplayed him. Also, I was super impressed with Gunn off the bench. Parry might be superior to him over the ball in rucks but he offers too much as a ball runner and support player to be ignored as a starter for long.

If Easts play like that every week then they will be in the finals. However GPS and Brothers have improved a lot this year and Uni and Sunnybank will be extremely good when they get their Reds players back for the Super Rugby 3 week break and after the Super Rugby Finals.
If it's anything like last year most of the Reds will rest over the test match break and not play Club rugby. Also with the season being earlier this year and the Reds a good chance of making the finals players wouldn't be back until 10 Aug. That gives them 2 weeks before the finals if they a fit and keen to play. From memory in 2011 quite a few took the week off after the GF so Clubs may not see regular Reds starters before the finals if at all.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
Like Scott Allen I was at the Wests V GPS game, firstly I watched Prem Colts, GPS won in a fairly tough contest close scores, Wests need to iron out some technicalities with their backline but this was the best side they have presented this year. GPS were just too strong out wide. Special mention to the fullback for Wests really strong under the high ball.

I then stayed on to watch the Prems and while I thought the same as S A that Wests matched them in the forwards the backs did not match up with any continuity. With GPS Samo running wide doing a good impression of a seagull, Wests could not contain him, he was good in patches but I think he is starting to show his age. He came in and out of the game like a rugby league player having a rest every now and again.

I was impressed with Sam Grasso from GPS, his service at HB set-up the GPS backline, unlike Nigel Genia from Wests who was slow with his service and very indecisive. One point late in the game he picked up and hopped and skipped sideways about 5 metres and then threw a cutout pass to the inside centre who got creamed, the obvious thing to have done would have been to run himself. Wests FH Sam Green was OK he did most of what he was supposed to do, however hoisting high balls within your own twenty two and no one chasing is fairly counterproductive in my opinion. Although he tackled reasonably well he is still a bit tentative, perhaps when he gets used to the big boys he will gain some confidence.

The fullback from Wests is one of the biggest FB I've seen for a while and he was good in attack but needs to learn how to tackle up under the breadbasket instead of up high. The lack of technique detracted from his game.

GPS were fast out wide and Frisby was very constructive, GPS looked far more committed to winning and consequently did just that.

There was some moments for Wests and they should not be too disheartened by the loss a few tweaks with some changing of starting players and some positional changes with the players that they have would see them back in the winning circle soon.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If it's anything like last year most of the Reds will rest over the test match break and not play Club rugby. Also with the season being earlier this year and the Reds a good chance of making the finals players wouldn't be back until 10 Aug. That gives them 2 weeks before the finals if they a fit and keen to play. From memory in 2011 quite a few took the week off after the GF so Clubs may not see regular Reds starters before the finals if at all.

With only 1 game after the break before the Super Rugby finals begin I would think McKenzie will be trying to keep his player match fit and in form. So I would expect all without injuries to play at least 1 probably 2 club games. And if they come back again for the last 2 rounds of Prem Rugby I think that could be the difference between Uni and Sunnybank coming 3rd & 4th or 5th & 6th on the ladder.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Just saw the game from the weekend between and Wests and Jeeps and although it is hard to admit, I thought Jeeps were pretty shocking in terms of cohesion and especially accuracy around the park. Too many pushed passes, inaccurate at the breakdown, and guilty of trying to do far too much with the ball in hand. I thought for at least the first 20-25 minutes of the game Wests were the better team, tackling their hearts out and looking very determined with the ball in hand. I thought the first two tries definitely came against the run of play with a momentary lapse costing the brave Bulldogs dearly not just on the scoreboard but perhaps sapping a bit of confidence from the completing the cause.

I tend to think of Frisby as very much a work in progress, yes he is dangerous, yes, he can do things other players cant but, he is still very much an unfinished product. His flamboyant approach to his footy is very reminiscent of Quade in that he is not afraid to go for the risky play, throw the risky cut out pass, or go for the audacious chip and regather etc etc. It's good when it comes off, like the try he set up for Kuridrani last week but when it goes wrong it can put a hell of a lot of pressure on the team through gifting the opposition possession in a bad part of the field or even worse,result in a try for the opposition (for e.g. the eventual try Easts scored after a botched sneaky 22 drop out.)

I agree with the other sentiments about Radike, can do some freaky things but just looks out of sorts at the moment and a little bit short of a gallop at the moment. Probably one of the few players in Premier Rugby he can get by on talent alone. One of the most disappointing aspects of the game from a Jeeps perspective was the accuracy at the breakdown, with Wests winning plenty of turnover ball through Waita Setu. Watching the video, I got the impression the initial max effort required to get into prime position to secure clean and quick ball and is definitely something Jeeps need to address before next weeks game. Jeeps will get away with those type of errors against Wests and a few of the other teams but if they want to be true legitimate contenders, they need to work at being patient with the footy and paying attention to attention to detail. Teams of the ilk of Brothers, Sunnybank, Uni, Easts etc wont need a second invitation to pile on points and pressure if this is left unattended.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Just saw the game from the weekend between and Wests and Jeeps and although it is hard to admit, I thought Jeeps were pretty shocking in terms of cohesion and especially accuracy around the park. Too many pushed passes, inaccurate at the breakdown, and guilty of trying to do far too much with the ball in hand. I thought for at least the first 20-25 minutes of the game Wests were the better team, tackling their hearts out and looking very determined with the ball in hand. I thought the first two tries definitely came against the run of play with a momentary lapse costing the brave Bulldogs dearly not just on the scoreboard but perhaps sapping a bit of confidence from the completing the cause.

I tend to think of Frisby as very much a work in progress, yes he is dangerous, yes, he can do things other players cant but, he is still very much an unfinished product. His flamboyant approach to his footy is very reminiscent of Quade in that he is not afraid to go for the risky play, throw the risky cut out pass, or go for the audacious chip and regather etc etc. It's good when it comes off, like the try he set up for Kuridrani last week but when it goes wrong it can put a hell of a lot of pressure on the team through gifting the opposition possession in a bad part of the field or even worse,result in a try for the opposition (for e.g. the eventual try Easts scored after a botched sneaky 22 drop out.)

I agree with the other sentiments about Radike, can do some freaky things but just looks out of sorts at the moment and a little bit short of a gallop at the moment. Probably one of the few players in Premier Rugby he can get by on talent alone. One of the most disappointing aspects of the game from a Jeeps perspective was the accuracy at the breakdown, with Wests winning plenty of turnover ball through Waita Setu. Watching the video, I got the impression the initial max effort required to get into prime position to secure clean and quick ball and is definitely something Jeeps need to address before next weeks game. Jeeps will get away with those type of errors against Wests and a few of the other teams but if they want to be true legitimate contenders, they need to work at being patient with the footy and paying attention to attention to detail. Teams of the ilk of Brothers, Sunnybank, Uni, Easts etc wont need a second invitation to pile on points and pressure if this is left unattended.

Do you think GPS lack a really good Fly Half and that this could be what stops them winning this year?

Personally I think B. Tequiri is your best option but he doesn't seem to be picked at fly half every week?

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Do you think GPS lack a really good Fly Half and that this could be what stops them winning this year?

Personally I think B. Tequiri is your best option but he doesn't seem to be picked at fly half every week?

B.Tuqiri is usually first option but he is injured at the moment. I think Tuqiri and McWhirter are solid contributors and wont let anyone down when asked to do the job, I just think in terms of a pure number 10 skill set, Jake Milne is the best option Jeeps have. The difficulty is, with Milne so injury prone it does make it hard for him to get an opportunity to build combinations in the top grade or match fitness in the lower grades. The answer to your question, is a hesitant yes ECA, but there are a few other things that could affect the Jeeps push for a championship.

The Jeeps squad is still a very young squad with only one or two old heads to steady the ship, and when I say old heads I am talking about blokes in their mid to late 20's. The lack of cohesion and perhaps the inability to be ruthless and clinically put teams away to reflect the team they have on paper is probably a fair indication of the squad's youth and lack of experience. The lack of a recognised goal kicker is also of some concern with Milne not in the squad. J.Logan and B.Tuqiri are good kickers but not the sharpshooters top teams need to take advantage of points when they are rarely offered in tight pressure cooker situations.

Hopefully that is not the case, but instead of looking at the things the Gallopers do well, I like to look at the misssing ingredients that can make the squad better. With all this said though, it is still the beest squad the club has been able to assemble for good 10+ years, there is still a fair bit of the season to go to address these aspects. Fingers crossed.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)

Still not a big fan of Reds (or any Super Rugby players for that matter) coming back to club rugby just to play in finals. Its not really fair on the blokes who actually got the team to the finals in the first place and then be moved down a grade when the club's Reds come back. Yes, it probably gives the respective clubs a better chance at success and adds to the spectacle, this I can understand but surely, the finals should be a reflection of the best teams that "played" throughout the year. We also miss the opportunity to watch a possible up and comer getting an experience to play in a high pressure game, which looking at the way Australian rugby is structured at the moment is a rare opportunity for emerging players hoping to progress further coming out of the club system.

Premier rugby should adopt the Qld Cup model where NRL players are only allowed to participate in finals if they have played a minimum amount of games, at least then you can say those players actually contributed to getting their teams to the finals in the first place. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The flip side of your argument is that we miss the opportunity to watch possible up and comers getting the experience playing against Super players.

I agree that it does cause issues. Sometimes the players come back and preform and the team wins. Other times the Super players return and it disrupts the cohesion of the team and they loose. It's the way the system is. I have seen the upsides of it but have also been on the receiving end of it as a player by being the guy who was dropped.

It also builds more interest in the Premier comp as more people will come and watch the game if Reds and Wallabies are playing.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The flip side of your argument is that we miss the opportunity to watch possible up and comers getting the experience playing against Super players.

I agree that it does cause issues. Sometimes the players come back and preform and the team wins. Other times the Super players return and it disrupts the cohesion of the team and they loose. It's the way the system is. I have seen the upsides of it but have also been on the receiving end of it as a player by being the guy who was dropped.

It also builds more interest in the Premier comp as more people will come and watch the game if Reds and Wallabies are playing.

The benefits out weigh the negatives when players come back from Super Rugby. Sure one guy misses out but 29 other players get to play in a game with a Super Rugby or a Wallaby which is invaluable to many people.

It also raises the standard of the match which is something we all want to see from the 3rd tier.

And as previously stated raises the profile of Premier Rugby.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree with Stallion, I think the Qld Cup model should apply, only because we don't want it turning into the Shute Shield where one club with a lot of money and facilities dominates, i.e Sydney Uni.

warhorse

Bill Watson (15)
FilthRugby - I wonder if you would be so passionate about not having the Reds and Wallabies back for finals if Brothers had more current Reds?

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
If teams are going to get away with having reds players back at the end of the season, then the players need to be spread out across the clubs. It does no good to the clubs when teams like Sunnybank and Uni trot out 8-10 contracted players compared to a Norths or sunny coast who have none(I don't count genia because sunny coast will never get a game out of him). If every team was to get 4-5 each, it would be a lot more beneficial to the competition as a whole.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
The benefits out weigh the negatives when players come back from Super Rugby. Sure one guy misses out but 29 other players get to play in a game with a Super Rugby or a Wallaby which is invaluable to many people.

It also raises the standard of the match which is something we all want to see from the 3rd tier.

And as previously stated raises the profile of Premier Rugby.

The benefits for whom exactly?

So you have no problem with guys who have also put in the hard yards since November during pre season while also holding down full time jobs and in most cases supporting families sacrificing their spots in a semi or grand final that they have contributed to earning the right play in for the entirity of the season being taken up by someone who either plays 2 or 3 games a year or worse, just the Grand Final just because others will get the thrill out of playing against or with a Red or a Wallaby?

Surely, these blokes need to be given a bit more respect? If supporters only came to watch a club game because a Red or Wallaby was playing for one game, a good time Charlie is as useful as Kurtley Beale on a team bonding session. Club rugby survives on the true club supporter not the supporter who jumps ship because no names are playing g on the weekend.

Club rugby should be about what rugby was before it went professional, where values such as loyalty were held in high regard. I would have no problem with any of our Reds or Wallabies sitting out if they hadn't earnt their dues during the year for the Gallopers. I have a lot more faith in the Premier rugby product and the talent that has done the job through the whole year to not shaft players just for a few more bums on seats for one game of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.