• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So Easts have gotten two bonus point away wins against last years Grand Finalists in consecutive weeks.....can I start to feel confident again?

Easts played pretty well, but I thought Sunnybank was quite average up untill 15 minutes to go when they decided to play some more structured footy. They were loose the whole game, throwing the ball around without any structure, which resulted in alot of turnovers and dropped pill.

One of the strangest decisions I've seen in a while was when Sunnybank were about 10 points down. They had just won two consecutive scrum penalities on the Easts tryline, with their scrum who had been dominating, then they decide to take a quick tap, which they proceeded to lose the ball two phases later. Another strong scrum would have resulted in either a penalty try or a yellow card. Stupid decision making by whoever elected to do that.

For Easts, their backline is looking awesome at the moment. Sean Cox was great in his first run-on game of the year, while Brandon and White were their usuall best. Aiden Toua was magic whenever he touched the ball, with his kicking game actually outshining his running. Again young flanker Michael (Mitchell?) Gunn was brilliant when he came on, this kid is....well....a gun.

For Sunnybank, they just looked disjointed for the most part. Up front Bloomfield was their best, while Routledge and Tapuai were good in the backs. I got big wraps on Routledge, I wouldn't mind seeing him come into the Reds EPS next year.

Similar to last week, Easts scored another thriller of a try. Probably not as good as Toua's against University, but Matt Brandon's try to pretty much seal the win was exciting, lots of offloads and strong running, Gunn involved heavily.

The Tigers looking the real deal this year, the fact they can field a side of that strength without several Australian U20's players, shows the depth that has not existed in previous seasons.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
So Easts have gotten two bonus point away wins against last years Grand Finalists in consecutive weeks...can I start to feel confident again?

Easts played pretty well, but I thought Sunnybank was quite average up untill 15 minutes to go when they decided to play some more structured footy. They were loose the whole game, throwing the ball around without any structure, which resulted in alot of turnovers and dropped pill.

One of the strangest decisions I've seen in a while was when Sunnybank were about 10 points down. They had just won two consecutive scrum penalities on the Easts tryline, with their scrum who had been dominating, then they decide to take a quick tap, which they proceeded to lose the ball two phases later. Another strong scrum would have resulted in either a penalty try or a yellow card. Stupid decision making by whoever elected to do that.

For Easts, their backline is looking awesome at the moment. Sean Cox was great in his first run-on game of the year, while Brandon and White were their usuall best. Aiden Toua was magic whenever he touched the ball, with his kicking game actually outshining his running. Again young flanker Michael (Mitchell?) Gunn was brilliant when he came on, this kid is..well..a gun.

For Sunnybank, they just looked disjointed for the most part. Up front Bloomfield was their best, while Routledge and Tapuai were good in the backs. I got big wraps on Routledge, I wouldn't mind seeing him come into the Reds EPS next year.

Similar to last week, Easts scored another thriller of a try. Probably not as good as Toua's against University, but Matt Brandon's try to pretty much seal the win was exciting, lots of offloads and strong running, Gunn involved heavily.

The Tigers looking the real deal this year, the fact they can field a side of that strength without several Australian U20's players, shows the depth that has not existed in previous seasons.

Backs always look good when forwards give them such a great platform and the forwards had done plenty of work over those two big games. You could see their exhaustion at the end of the game.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Dogs played really well.. Pretty sure the last time Wests beat UQ you could buy fuel for under a dollar a litre (2007 is the last time I recall us beating the Students)

the standouts of the game for me were definately the try scorers (Byron Hutchinson x2, Sam Greene x2 & Dizzy Gillespie) in the forward pack it was Pat Fepulai (filled in for late scratch Mick Lee) Pat threw a solid lineout ball, nothing was lost in the scrum with the subtraction of Mick Lee & Pat along with his other front row compadres (Reuben Leuilua & Sef Faagase) all put in real dominate contact in tackles and I don't remember University getting much go-forward ball with the Piggies. Also Waita Setu was very strong at the breakdown with a few pilfers and causing the Students Forwards to give up long arm penalties for not securing the breakdown.

It will be a tough day at the office next Saturday vs the Dragons, But if the Dogs don't let this win get to them & focus on the task at hand then it will be a very close match.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I saw some live tweeting from Scott Allen at the Wests v Uni game,

It will be appeciative to get a match report/thoughts from the Big Man!!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Any reviews on Sunnybanks Chazz Mahina? Played prem colts last year.? Reply please
Chazz is still playing Colts this year Scotty. Not sure how he's going but the team isn't getting the results they want. 1/5 so far this season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Is there anyone who is close to Easts inner workings at the moment?

I've been scratching my head trying to work out the reason why Jack Mullins is named captain. Every game I've seen so far this year Matt Brandon is the one who makes the captains calls, he is the one players look to when deciding to take a penalty shot or not, he is the one who talks the most in the team huddles.

I don't mean they look to him with penalty decisions as in "can you kick it?" it is very much in the manner of "whats the best decision".
On the weekend was close to where I was, so I could hear what was being said, and it was Brandon & Toua who discussed the penalty option, Jack Mullins did nothing except walk back with the forwards.

Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but I have no idea why Mullins was named captain over Brandon, especially when Brandon seems to be the one making the decisions and leading the team.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think the Mullins/Brandon captaincy thing is a issue T12.

Brandon probably has the discretion from coaches and or Mullins that if its a kickable penalty then to proceed to the posts and point to the upright.

Go let Mullins inspire the piggies while Brandon works that boot of his.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Dogs played really well.. Pretty sure the last time Wests beat UQ you could buy fuel for under a dollar a litre (2007 is the last time I recall us beating the Students)

the standouts of the game for me were definately the try scorers (Byron Hutchinson x2, Sam Greene x2 & Dizzy Gillespie) in the forward pack it was Pat Fepulai (filled in for late scratch Mick Lee) Pat threw a solid lineout ball, nothing was lost in the scrum with the subtraction of Mick Lee & Pat along with his other front row compadres (Reuben Leuilua & Sef Faagase) all put in real dominate contact in tackles and I don't remember University getting much go-forward ball with the Piggies. Also Waita Setu was very strong at the breakdown with a few pilfers and causing the Students Forwards to give up long arm penalties for not securing the breakdown.

It will be a tough day at the office next Saturday vs the Dragons, But if the Dogs don't let this win get to them & focus on the task at hand then it will be a very close match.

Agree Dogs played well, good to see.
But Uni didn't apply any pressure at all in the first half and the 2 centres could get jobs at Suncorp as the turnstiles for the Sharks game this Friday....
None the less a comp with the Dogs competitive again is a good comp!

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't have much to add on the Dogs performance that hasn't already been said. There is a good group of players at the club and their start to the season hasn't reflected their quality. Hopefully this match will be the first of a string of good performances.

As well as Wests played, I was extremely surprised at how poorly Uni played. That's the second time I've seen them play this year and their structure in attack is not what it's been in the past few seasons. They appear to be relying on individual brilliance and with so many errors on Saturday that didn't work. They were also blown away by Wests at the breakdown and the continual turnovers robbed Uni of any chance to get any momentum going.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Is there anyone who is close to Easts inner workings at the moment?

I've been scratching my head trying to work out the reason why Jack Mullins is named captain. Every game I've seen so far this year Matt Brandon is the one who makes the captains calls, he is the one players look to when deciding to take a penalty shot or not, he is the one who talks the most in the team huddles.

I don't mean they look to him with penalty decisions as in "can you kick it?" it is very much in the manner of "whats the best decision".
On the weekend was close to where I was, so I could hear what was being said, and it was Brandon & Toua who discussed the penalty option, Jack Mullins did nothing except walk back with the forwards.

Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but I have no idea why Mullins was named captain over Brandon, especially when Brandon seems to be the one making the decisions and leading the team.

I think the coaches wanted a "Do as I do" captain and not a "Do as I say" one. Mullins is one of the best defenders in the team and previous years Brandon has defended at fullback whilst playing Fly-Half.

The fly half is often the player making the decisions on the field in any team. It would be a similar situation to when a forward is captain because he leads from the front, by example and is closer to the referee the whole game.

I also, want to say it was another week where T.White has clearly outplayed rival centres that the Reds have identified in Routledge and R.Tapaui.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers currently have the best backline in the Premier Rugby. The scrum is looking good as well. Lets just hope the 2012 isn't going to be repeated.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
On the matter of your backline....All though it is undispitudely the best.

From all accounts and what i have seen dallan has been maginificent in releasing the weapons at the bretherens disposal, some would say vital(i.e Bond, Creighton, Fitzgerald)

Does his impending move to rotherham scare you? As in do you think the team will be able to fire on the same level?

Do you believe that brothers have an apt replacement?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Brother have managed maximum points from all their games this year. They have really surprised me this year, was expecting them to drop out of the 4. Obviously good things happening at Crosby.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
On the matter of your backline..All though it is undispitudely the best.

From all accounts and what i have seen dallan has been maginificent in releasing the weapons at the bretherens disposal, some would say vital(i.e Bond, Creighton, Fitzgerald)

Does his impending move to rotherham scare you? As in do you think the team will be able to fire on the same level?

Do you believe that brothers have an apt replacement?

I think so, a lot of good Colts players coming through the club

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Brothers currently have the best backline in the Premier Rugby. The scrum is looking good as well. Lets just hope the 2012 isn't going to be repeated.

I was impressed by the Filths backline last week, Dallan Murphy might not be up to Super standard but he calls the shots in the club scene, I had heard that he was off abroad though? If so big loss for the Filth. They ran good lines & moved the ball well, with good retention. I thought Souths had the much better scrum, though Brothers were more competitive at the breakdown. Souths big number 8 is a very impressive performer.

I hope 2012 is repeated :p

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought Souths had the much better scrum, though Brothers were more competitive at the breakdown.

I respectfully disagree Penguin; Brothers won 2 or 3 penalties from scrum infringements whilst Souths didn't. It may have changed in the second half with reserves featuring. Brothers have a very strong back-row which could easily compete against a Sunnybank side featuring Gill and Schatz. . I’ll be more concerned at the back-end of the season. I’m definitely not calling us Premiers thus far in the season. With Uni and the Bank getting rep players back and of course along with Jeeps and Easts looking the goods this year, it’s anyone’s for the taking. I’m just hoping we can get our 28th Hospital Cup back into the club house at Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.