• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
For the record JETS I was not slinging mud towards Sunnybank. I did put question marks next to 2 general statements I have heard in clubland about Sunnybank cause I was seeking clarification about Pokies revenue & 3rd party payments to Digby.
I was probably a bit harsh in my reply SouthernX. My understanding is Digby received a payment to keep him playing for the Reds. Digby has been involved with Sunnybank since he was at school and I don't think there was ever a chance he would play for another club in Brisbane. He was in the team that won the first Premier Grade premiership in 2005 before he went to the Force.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
We should want more clubs to be successful off the field not less. The Breakers are in the process of establishing a Community Club at Burleigh Heads. I am hopeful it's a success for the long term financial viability of Gold Coast rugby. .[/quote]

Boy, am I hoping this comes off!!! Chirpin, For a first post you've come in guns blazin'. One of my mates has just retired from sunnybank (prem player) and he has had some good talks with me and I say you have a lot of facts WRONG. You may be just stirring the pot?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
And so you you worry about your own back yard:
Jets post from last year:

"Any change in the Tigers coaching ranks next year boys? You would think that if they missed out on the finals again heads would have to roll. After their good win in 2008 I'm surprised they haven't made the GF again."
Jets, Oct 19, 2012 #1501
I think you'll find that comment was said in jest to stir up a few of the Easts boys on here. They took it the right way if you go back and reread the thread. Also the Premier squad has responded and is doing very well so far this season.

We can argue over a lot of things here and won't ever agree. Premier rugby isn't the pinnacle of the sport but a part of a bigger pathway so players are going to come in and out of teams. It's not a perfect situation but it's reality.

My major issue is the perception that clubs like Sunnybank and Uni have an unfair advantage over the other clubs. They have just had better management over the years and have secured their financial futures.

I think I can leave it there and go back to talking about what has been an interesting Premier season so far.

D

Don't be chirpin

bloodred said:
Boy, am I hoping this comes off!!! Chirpin, For a first post you've come in guns blazin'. One of my mates has just retired from sunnybank (prem player) and he has had some good talks with me and I say you have a lot of facts WRONG. You may be just stirring the pot?

Yeah thats Kruiky but (I'm assuming). Of course he's not going to spill the true story of what really goes on after skippering the side for many years. I've got a few sources from within the Bank who have given me different stories over the years

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I surprisingly don’t have an issues with Sunnybank players, I’m with Jets on this, nearly all their Reds players, if not all, are colts or juniors from the club. Unlike, grub clubs like Sydney Uni, who seriously BUY players like Israel Falou, Sunnybank have just fostered them well. What pisses me off though was the 2011 Grand Final, when about 6 of them including Richard Kingi from the Rebels who played like 2 games throughout the year, came back and played fullback. I just think that maybe people like Jono Owen and few others should have gone to clubs like Wests or Norths instead of going to an already strong force like Uni. That’s something that should be looked at, players coming from interstate.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I surprisingly don’t have an issues with Sunnybank players, I’m with Jets on this, nearly all their Reds players, if not all, are colts or juniors from the club. Unlike, grub clubs like Sydney Uni, who seriously BUY players like Israel Falou, Sunnybank have just fostered them well. What pisses me off though was the 2011 Grand Final, when about 6 of them including Richard Kingi from the Rebels who played like 2 games throughout the year, came back and played fullback. I just think that maybe people like Jono Owen and few others should have gone to clubs like Wests or Norths instead of going to an already strong force like Uni. That’s something that should be looked at, players coming from interstate.

Jono Owen would of been playing reserve grade at Wests. #Faagase & #Leilua best tag team props in the comp.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Completely agree with your match report, although found it very surprising to hear that jake Milne was the musashi player of the round, when to be honest, didn't have the best game. Thought the player of the match should've gone to either of the Toolis twins or Lasarusa Tabu the #13 for norths

Who is deciding this Musashi Player of the Round. I was surprised Parry got it the other week when M.Gunn was a clear standout after replacing Parry.

Also, Stallion, I was surprised when the Courier Mail mentioned Kuridrani as a potential signing for the Reds with Morahan, Ione and Lance leaving at the end of this season. He has not stood out at all in games against Tigers the last couple of years.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Completely agree with your match report, although found it very surprising to hear that jake Milne was the musashi player of the round, when to be honest, didn't have the best game. Thought the player of the match should've gone to either of the Toolis twins or Lasarusa Tabu the #13 for norths

I would've given the Musashi award to someone from Wests first and foremost and then Tabu or Ma'afu who worked himself to a standstill up front in defence. A Jeeps player should not have rated a mention. Would be interesting if they actually watch all the games to pick the most deserving or if its picked by a psychic or lucky dip. Im a Jeeps man through and through but Milne didnt deserve the gong. Hopefully he'll warrant a few legitimate ones in the next few weeks.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Who is deciding this Musashi Player of the Round. I was surprised Parry got it the other week when M.Gunn was a clear standout after replacing Parry.

Also, Stallion, I was surprised when the Courier Mail mentioned Kuridrani as a potential signing for the Reds with Morahan, Ione and Lance leaving at the end of this season. He has not stood out at all in games against Tigers the last couple of years.
I heard a whisper that Parry passed it along

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)

Before suffering from his compound fracture I would have said Kuridrani was a shoe in to replace one of the places left by Ioane, Morahan or Lance's departures. I'd say from what I have seen from Chris this year he is still very much trying to find his rhythm again. He has'nt set the world on fire, yes but he is still playing some solid footy for GPS, but there are a few nuances to his game that will take time to rediscover to make him the prospect he was and in my opinion very much still is.

I dont think he has played much footy against Easts fullstop to be fair to Kuridrani. When he came on the scene he was still eligible for Colts and played well enough to be noticed by the Reds , then he had the horrific injury against Brothers 2 years ago he has only come back from this year. I would'nt hang my hat up on the recent game against Easts this year because he is still finding his feet. I dont think we have seen even 80% of what Kuridrani can do. Im backing him in but time will tell.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
#Faagase & #Leilua best tag team props in the comp.

Disagree.

One good game against Uni does not make them the best prop combo in the comp. They are the third, even fourth best propping combination at best.

Paraka and Sanday from Easts are the best prop combination in the comp, then Smith and Kite from Jeeps, and its a photo finish between Feao and Denny (Souths), Faagase and Leilua (Wests) and Bennie and Dixon (Brothers) for third. Faagase and Leilua lack consistency pure and simple, and have too many defensive flaws in close to hold the mantle.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Disagree.

One good game against Uni does not make them the best prop combo in the comp. They are the third, even fourth best propping combination at best.

Paraka and Sanday from Easts are the best prop combination in the comp, then Smith and Kite from Jeeps, and its a photo finish between Feao and Denny (Souths), Faagase and Leilua (Wests) and Bennie and Dixon (Brothers) for third. Faagase and Leilua lack consistency pure and simple, and have too many defensive flaws in close to hold the mantle.

I am going to disagree with you there, i think most people around here who have seen more than one wests premier game over the past two seasons know that wests have 2 of the best props in the comp. I am not going to place them as the best period but certainly they are there. Leilua is getting on a bit so i could concede him but Fagaase is up in the top 3 at least. Hence why he is playing reds college rugby.

I am interested in your remark about to many defensive flaws and no consistency? Could you elaborate? Most wests people would say that it's not upfront where we have lost games.

Also can anyone refer me to where to find this premier rugby weekly?

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
I am going to disagree with you there, i think most people around here who have seen more than one wests premier game over the past two seasons know that wests have 2 of the best props in the comp. I am not going to place them as the best period but certainly they are there. Leilua is getting on a bit so i could concede him but Fagaase is up in the top 3 at least. Hence why he is playing reds college rugby.

I am interested in your remark about to many defensive flaws and no consistency? Could you elaborate? Most wests people would say that it's not upfront where we have lost games.

Also can anyone refer me to where to find this premier rugby weekly?

Ive seen most of the footage of games this year and what I have noticed is that in tight defending at pillar both players do tend to be susceptible to allowing a dominant ball carrier running close the gound to break the ad line compared to the other prop duos I mentioned. Lets say for arguments sake we compare them to Paraka and Sanday from Easts.
Faagase and Leilua probably defend a bit better than the Easts duo in the "Post" and "Key" positions due to their mobility and leg speed but in tight I have noticed a susceptibility to giving away metres at the pick and go area, and there is no way that as a combination they scrummage better than Paraka and Sanday, which was also considered amongst other factors in my summarizing that they were'nt the best duo in the comp.

With regards, to your comment about consistency and not losing games up front. Correct me if I'm wrong but every game is won or lost if you cannot at least gain parity up front, regardless of who you have in the backs, the performance of your front row has a bearing on every game, whether it is the difference between a win or a loss or by how many points a team wins or loses by.

I've seen dusty performances up front against Brothers and Souths, and a very solid contribution by both against GPS and Uni which gives the duo a 50/50 spread so far in the early stages of the season. However, keep in mind that the Uni props Helu and Cochrane that Wests fronted up against on Saturday although solid, are'nt quite amongst the top echelon of props in the comp, as both players seem to be Uni's second string front row, just to provide some perspective on that performance up front. (Just look at the team lists both have been dropped for this weeks game) In my opinon, that sort of percentage spread appropriately justifies my comment as the duo (so far in this campaign only) being inconsistent.

The games I have seen Wests lose particularly against Souths when for three quarters of the match Wests enjoyed scrummaging with one extra man and still could not take advantage of the Souths scrum says a lot about a team's front row in my opinion. Also, just to be clear Im not arguing that Faagase is not in the top bracket of props individually or that his combination with Leilua isnt an above average combination amongst the better duos in comp. Im also not arguinng that Leilua is still not a good contributor, but come on, you'd definitely be a one eyed Wests supporter if you still believed he is as good a player as he was when Wests were trampling all before them when Skelton and co. were in their prime. Im arguing as an avid lover of club footy that at the present time Faagase and Leilua are not the best prop duo in the comp as pointed out by SouthernX.

In my defence, I think being in the top three is'nt that bad of a wrap.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gee Stallion, I don't mean to call your bluff but Leulua wasn't even available for the Souths game.

You should maybe go back & check the tape because the guy who filled in for Reuben was pretty distinct in appearance (I.e blonde haired white boy)

Anyways it's great we can have these kind of discussions. One of the reasons I enjoy visiting this forum.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Gee Stallion, I don't mean to call your bluff but Leulua wasn't even available for the Souths game.

You should maybe go back & check the tape because the guy who filled in for Reuben was pretty distinct in appearance (I.e blonde haired white boy)

Anyways it's great we can have these kind of discussions. One of the reasons I enjoy visiting this forum.

Im quite aware he did'nt play that game, Faagase went missing in that game.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
"Also can anyone refer me to where to find this premier rugby weekly?"

Thierry D - Send an email to promotions@qru.com.au with the subject "Subscription to Premier Rugby Weekly". In the body of the email write "I wish to subscribe to Queensland Premier Rugby Weekly. Please add me to the mailing list."

You should then get an email each week with the weekly program. It's very worthwhile as it includes video links, news, match reports and team lists.

Hasn't helped my tipping though .....

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)

The Mushashi performer of the week award is given to the man of the match in the game that the QRU select as game of the round. Being the heritage round, it was game of the round

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
"Also can anyone refer me to where to find this premier rugby weekly?"

Thierry D - Send an email to promotions@qru.com.au with the subject "Subscription to Premier Rugby Weekly". In the body of the email write "I wish to subscribe to Queensland Premier Rugby Weekly. Please add me to the mailing list."

You should then get an email each week with the weekly program. It's very worthwhile as it includes video links, news, match reports and team lists.

Hasn't helped my tipping though ...
I've been posting links in the first post of the tipping comp thread each week.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ive seen most of the footage of games this year and what I have noticed is that in tight defending at pillar both players do tend to be susceptible to allowing a dominant ball carrier running close the gound to break the ad line compared to the other prop duos I mentioned. Lets say for arguments sake we compare them to Paraka and Sanday from Easts.
Faagase and Leilua probably defend a bit better than the Easts duo in the "Post" and "Key" positions due to their mobility and leg speed but in tight I have noticed a susceptibility to giving away metres at the pick and go area, and there is no way that as a combination they scrummage better than Paraka and Sanday, which was also considered amongst other factors in my summarizing that they were'nt the best duo in the comp.

With regards, to your comment about consistency and not losing games up front. Correct me if I'm wrong but every game is won or lost if you cannot at least gain parity up front, regardless of who you have in the backs, the performance of your front row has a bearing on every game, whether it is the difference between a win or a loss or by how many points a team wins or loses by.

I've seen dusty performances up front against Brothers and Souths, and a very solid contribution by both against GPS and Uni which gives the duo a 50/50 spread so far in the early stages of the season. However, keep in mind that the Uni props Helu and Cochrane that Wests fronted up against on Saturday although solid, are'nt quite amongst the top echelon of props in the comp, as both players seem to be Uni's second string front row, just to provide some perspective on that performance up front. (Just look at the team lists both have been dropped for this weeks game) In my opinon, that sort of percentage spread appropriately justifies my comment as the duo (so far in this campaign only) being inconsistent.

The games I have seen Wests lose particularly against Souths when for three quarters of the match Wests enjoyed scrummaging with one extra man and still could not take advantage of the Souths scrum says a lot about a team's front row in my opinion. Also, just to be clear Im not arguing that Faagase is not in the top bracket of props individually or that his combination with Leilua isnt an above average combination amongst the better duos in comp. Im also not arguinng that Leilua is still not a good contributor, but come on, you'd definitely be a one eyed Wests supporter if you still believed he is as good a player as he was when Wests were trampling all before them when Skelton and co. were in their prime. Im arguing as an avid lover of club footy that at the present time Faagase and Leilua are not the best prop duo in the comp as pointed out by SouthernX.

In my defence, I think being in the top three is'nt that bad of a wrap.

Whilst I don't have an opinion on who is "The Best" scrumming props in the comp I agree with TD that Wests forward pack has not been the problem over the last few years. And the introduction of Greene and return of Gillespie as proved this.

I am surprised that the Easts props are being used as the benchmark. As the last 2 years this forum has noted that the Easts forwards have been bettered in games not the backs. Sanday has been a standout this year in general play but the Easts scrum has not dominated an opposition yet. The fact the P.Ritchie a much smaller prop, but a scrum lover (nicknamed: Scrumpig) was considered first choice when in Aus suggests that the scrum is not where the Easts props excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom