• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Tigers Tale I looked at the Premier competition rules as a favour to a mate who is from GPS and as they are written (particularly the punctuation they've used) it is ambiguous.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=I0Yw8gNrc4c=&tabid=533

I'd say what has upset GPS is that the rule says ARU/QRU contracted players are eligible (if the the / means OR, as is customary) , and while Hegarty plays for the VRU-aligned Rebels he has never been associated with another club.

BUT

knowing now that the appeal was rejected, I think the QRU looks at Hegarty as a non-contracted player (because he is not contracted to the QRU) so he would've needed to play more than 6 games for the club to be eligible OR apply for dispensation two weeks ago.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Harry Parker is out for Uni, but Banks - the big, very fast wing/fullback from Premier Colts - is in.

No other changes from last week

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Now that Toua is out i am retracting my backing of Easts for GF football. Placid has a pretty good runing game but Toua's boot & vision was a major asset to Easts when working in Tandem with Brandon and i don't think kicking for corners is a major facet of Placid's game.

I will be interested to see if Easts move Sam Cox to fullback to take advantage of what used to be a quite a prodigous boot.

I don't think hegarty is a major loss to GPS. He was a luxury that was good to have but not a major cog in the wheel.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I agree TD, a lot of people associate running game with Toua, but his left foot kicking has been great this year. I still think we have enough fire power outside though, just means Brandon will have to take most of the kicking responsibilities.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What is the nature of Toua's injury/omission?

Apologies if I missed it on a previous page.
Fractured Cheek Bone, or something along those lines. Any injury is unfortunate, but I for one am thankful it wasn't his problematic hamstrings. He got through pretty much the whole season un-injured, which is great for him. Unless the Reds recruit someone major, I think Toua and JJ Taulagi are the type of player the Reds need at 15, and both are more than capable to develop into that role.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Fractured Cheek Bone, or something along those lines. Any injury is unfortunate, but I for one am thankful it wasn't his problematic hamstrings. He got through pretty much the whole season un-injured, which is great for him. Unless the Reds recruit someone major, I think Toua and JJ Taulagi are the type of player the Reds need at 15, and both are more than capable to develop into that role.

I have been vocal previously on the fact tha ti think the reds should cut Toua as he was not up to the physicality of super rugby. However after watching him in Premier, i was impressed with his overall game and it's a shame that he will not be able to play ITM cup and prove that he can assert himself on a higher grade of rugby. If he was able to do that with Hawkes Bay, I was ready to believe undisputedly that he should be the annointed one for the reds at fullback. I still think at this point in time he should be first choice, however it will all depend on how JJ Taulagi develops now that he is in a proffesional system.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It is a bit contentious. Especially when you see that there is two Wests players, a side that finished well below the front-runners, while there is no player from University, Brothers, Sunnybank or Souths, all who were around the finals. What Cat_A said a page or two back is fairly accurate, easier to get points in an under-performing side.

Not having a dig at Greene or Gillespie though. Greene in particular deserves to be there and I suspect it will be out of him, Brandon and Kerevi for the award.
I don't think too many around Sunnybank feel hard done by to have no one in the running. I can't think of any real standouts from the games I watched that played regularly enough.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simpo86 I certainly wouldn't wish the injury upon anyone, but it certainly didn't suprise me when I heard it was Toua. I apologise for saying I feel better knowing that it was Toua (poor choice of words, I know)

But considering the bad luck of run Toua has had with injuries, You can't help but think that if it was anyone else in the circumstances had been different.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hope the filth have a real go tomorrow. The bhoys need a Tony Shaw pre-match speech to get them fired up against the old enemy.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
I read an interesting thread on the Norths Junior Rugby facebook site today https://www.facebook.com/NorthsJuniorRugby that everyones favourite player at Norths, Vuki (yes he did win the Premier Grade Rugby top scorer award by 11 tries), is to start training with the Reds extended playing squad on Monday. If this is correct this is a fantastic achievement for such an unassuming guy. I have never seen such rocket shoes as his in watching rugby for 20 or so years. I still think 7's is his game however well done to Vuki. BTW word is that the whole Wallabies squad (all 30) will be at Norths Rugby grounds on Sunday 1st September around 3pm when they host the BJRU semi finals. Maybe Vuki can be part of that squad in a couple of years.

T

TOCC

Sunshine Coast Rugby will undergo a review to examine whether the Sunshine Coast Stingrays will continue to participate in Premier Grade Rugby.. Financial concerns and a disconnect between the local clubs and representative side are cited as some of the issues which need to be addressed..

Sounds very similar to the issues the Gold Coast Rugby Union were facing at the start of this season, for the good of the game i hope they remain in the competition, it would be a backwards step to lost them.

Status
Not open for further replies.