• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not sure Logan are in a great position to make the step up. It would be in place of a coast team, you would think, but they add great value to the comp in my eyes.
Logan have a great facility and I could see some interest from the council to justify the spend they have made.
If another Club was to enter then they would need to field more teams across colts and the grades too.
It will be interesting to see what develops.

I would imagine Logan lose alot of players to sunnybank/compete for the same playing resources?

I think the QRU should be helping set up a Ipswich/Western Corridor team join premier Rugby. They have a GPS and AIC school to feed them players and have current Sub District teams Goodna, Springfield and Ipswich. It would certainly take alot of QRU resources to start but strategically this is the fastest growing population in the country, a lowering age demographic and is being targeted by AFL and the A-league.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I would imagine Logan lose alot of players to sunnybank/compete for the same playing resources?

I think the QRU should be helping set up a Ipswich/Western Corridor team join premier Rugby. They have a GPS and AIC school to feed them players and have current Sub District teams Goodna, Springfield and Ipswich. It would certainly take alot of QRU resources to start but strategically this is the fastest growing population in the country, a lowering age demographic and is being targeted by AFL and the A-league.

From what I have heard the subject of the regions sub district teams merging or forming a rep team similar to the coasts has been broached before. However the teams are unwilling to co-operate, as all are to proud to fly under one another's banner.
Also you then effectively kill the sub district comp.....so it's a conundrum. I don't mind the idea of a Toowoomba team but it could be the same situation with travel as the coast teams.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I'm a fan of a Downs/Toowoomba team being in the comp but you'd have to add someone else or loose a club and I don't think it will happen any time soon.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
but that's the thing Jets apparently SC are out!

And I think the struggles of recent time by GC and SC indicate that a rep side structure isn't the best option. I would just go with one stand alone club and if people want to take their rugby more seriously or test themselves at a higher level then they will go to the club with a premier grade team. For example a large amount of Easts players come from wynnum and Redlands and bulimba area which all have sub districts teams

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Having walked over Wests ground on Saturday, the 'brown' patches are in fact bare ground. Not dead grass. A considerable amount is dirt.
Not criticising, just stating a fact. They are not the only ones whose grounds need attention.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't give a F%^K what anyone thinks about Wests ground.

We played our best footy in 2006/2007 when it was the dustbowl, teams would fear playing at Wests.

I kind of irritated you guys complaining about the oval considering the amount of training/games that got cancelled this year to protect the character of the ground.

Having been at the Kennel this past Saturday & seeing the state of the oval. I'm just grateful that the internet wasn't invented in 2007 because you'd be whinging a lot louder then u currently are.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
People need to get over the state of the grounds. With the exception of the Coasts and Uni, the majority of fields aren't in top condition, which is to be expected after more than 20 weeks of training and games, it's not exactly going to look like Ballymore. Yes it is unfortunate that toua got injured but it could've happened anywhere

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
People need to get over the state of the grounds. With the exception of the Coasts and Uni, the majority of fields aren't in top condition, which is to be expected after more than 20 weeks of training and games, it's not exactly going to look like Ballymore. Yes it is unfortunate that toua got injured but it could've happened anywhere

I think we should be kicking up as much stink as possible about the grounds so they can all be improved.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Jack Mullins & Matty Brandon are among the 5 running for the Alec Evans Medal. Anyone know who the other three players are?

Very surprised Chucky has made that group, I can name 5 Easts players that have been better than him this year, let alone 5 from other clubs. No complaints about Brandon though, bloke is consistently awesome.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Out of the 18 games in 2010 Chibba Hanson was awarded man of the match by the Uni coaching staff (and most people watching) in about 12 or 13 games. He was pretty close to top in the other games he played as well.

Blain from the sunny coast won the medal and no arguments here he is a fine player. But Chib was only awarded 4 or 5 points in the medal race and was ranked 3rd for the Uni players alone.

It was interesting to see the difference in options from ref's to coaching staff

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It is a bit contentious. Especially when you see that there is two Wests players, a side that finished well below the front-runners, while there is no player from University, Brothers, Sunnybank or Souths, all who were around the finals. What Cat_A said a page or two back is fairly accurate, easier to get points in an under-performing side.

Not having a dig at Greene or Gillespie though. Greene in particular deserves to be there and I suspect it will be out of him, Brandon and Kerevi for the award.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I feel a lot better knowing it was Toua that got injured.

Not that I like hearing about injuries but I feel better about the state of my oval knowing that Toua has one of the longest injury lists on the reds of the past few years, if it was anyone else... Then they probably not injured.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hmmm, out of that list Matt Brandon probably deserves it or Samu Kerevi. Really don't think anyone from Wests should get it. I know SouthernX will disagree, but Easts and Jeeps finished in the top two. So obviously that was partly due to Brandon and Kerevi respectively.

I imagine everyone apart from me is tipping University in the minor semi-final?
The Easts v Jeeps game is too close to call.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
It is a bit contentious. Especially when you see that there is two Wests players, a side that finished well below the front-runners, while there is no player from University, Brothers, Sunnybank or Souths, all who were around the finals. What Cat_A said a page or two back is fairly accurate, easier to get points in an under-performing side.

Not having a dig at Greene or Gillespie though. Greene in particular deserves to be there and I suspect it will be out of him, Brandon and Kerevi for the award.

I think it just shows that a team that is relative consistant around the park will make it higher on the ladder. If all players play quite well each week as a team then the points will be spread hence the nominations of both Brett Gillespie and Sam Greene. Greene obviously being the leading point scorer for the year is a pretty good effort due to the fact that Wests came 7th. But I think Greene got something like 8 tries? So in the 18 rounds I am sure he got plenty of votes from the Referees and Brett Gillespie is just consistantly good and has been for many seasons. Having said all that I believe Kerevi will get it and well deserved to by what I have heard.

T

Tigers Tale

No Hegerty for GPS in finals as GPS lose appeal. Was the decision fair or unfair?

Is Samu Kerevi playing for GPS on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.