• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Mowen plays his club rugby for Tuggeranong not Easts. I thought you guys lived in the present?

Look Jets you got me on a technicality but to suggest that Ben Mowen is anything but an Easts man is absurd: His father Sean went to Churchie and Captained Easts back in early 80s, Ben played juniors at Easts, went to Villanova (Coorparoo) where he became an Aust School Boy, before playing colts/premier grade at Easts and captaining Aust U20, he would have played his club Rugby for Easts after leaving the Waratahs had Jake White not forced the Brumbies to align with Canberra clubs, his Brother Eli plays First Grade at the club, his father is also the Senior Football Director on the club board. He along with Jake White were the guest speakers at the East dinner this year.

Jets to suggest that Benny is not a tiger is like saying James Horwill, Nathan Sharpe or Stephen Moore aren't Red Heavies - you are kidding aren't you??

For God sake it's not like we have a wall of them like Uni.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Look Jets you got me on a technicality but to suggest that Ben Mowen is anything but an Easts man is absurd: His father Sean went to Churchie and Captained Easts back in early 80s, Ben played juniors at Easts, went to Villanova (Coorparoo) where he became an Aust School Boy, before playing colts/premier grade at Easts and captaining Aust U20, he would have played his club Rugby for Easts after leaving the Waratahs had Jake White not forced the Brumbies to align with Canberra clubs, his Brother Eli plays First Grade at the club, his father is also the Senior Football Director on the club board. He along with Jake White were the guest speakers at the East dinner this year.

Jets to suggest that Benny is not a tiger is like saying James Horwill, Nathan Sharpe or Stephen Moore aren't Red Heavies - you are kidding aren't you??

James Horwill once upon a time played for WESTS.. We don't have his photo up on the Wallaby wall.

I understand that Ben Mowen has Tigerblood running in his veins. But a wallaby IMO is alligned to the current club he plays for.

PS: The Brumbies & Force are jokes for not letting their QLD products return back to Premier rugby.. what a farce!!!

T

Tigers Tale

One of the conditions to get your mug up on the WESTS BULLDOGS Wallabies walls is you must be activly alligned with the club when you get your cap.

I believe Will Genia became a Wallaby during his stint at the Eagles!

Don't worry mate you've still got Nigel.

Where does Nigel rank in terms of the Premier Grade halfbacks? Leaving aside Mullins (because I will be accused of being biased) I'd put Frisby & Campbell (Bros) at the top of the list?

T

Tigers Tale

James Horwill once upon a time played for WESTS.. We don't have his photo up on the Wallaby wall.

I understand that Ben Mowen has Tigerblood running in his veins. But a wallaby IMO is alligned to the current club he plays for.

PS: The Brumbies & Force are jokes for not letting their QLD products return back to Premier rugby.. what a farce!!!

Crossy we agree for only a second time.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes Mullins, Frisby & Campbell (in no particular order)

But honestly I wouldn't be able to rate a halfback with a cheatsheet next to me. I'm more of a Forward Connesieur. I do like my halfbacks to reach into a ruck/maul and deliver a ball out wide at maximum space.

T

Tigers Tale

Whites 23

White, Mullins & Randell all Terrace (GT) products played in a losing Prem Colts team in 2008 (v Sunnybank captained by Jake Schatz).

Pat Ritchie & Phil Brabam (2006 GT products like Mullins & Randell - White ('07)) played in the Easts 2008 grand final win v Brothers on the same day.

The Easts 2013 GF squad school backgrounds were:
TSS 6;
ACGS 5;
GT 5;
TGS 1;
Villa 2;
Nudgee 1;
Sun Co ast GS 1;
Misc NQ & UK 2;

I'd say that there would have been a very large number of Marist Brothers Ashgrove products in the GPS side.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Tigers fans.. enjoy the celebrations while you can.

Matt Brandon might be playing with Sunnybank & Placid n Gunn over at Uni. If the doomsday predictions in clubland are to be believed but this national comp there is talk of killing off club rugby (in essence) & feeding the talent into 4 main QLD Clubs.

To be realistic Brisbane Premier Club Rugby will still exist but the arms race of talent poaching will only grow bigger if the 4 clubs in question (lets say for example it's Sunnybank, UQ, GPS & GoldCoast) will have a mixture of lads playing in this 3rd tier national comp, Imagine how easy it will be for Sunnybank to say to Matt Brandon who plays for the Bank in the national comp to make the seemless transition to play for Sunnybank in the premier comp.

You all can laugh now & say you'll believe it when you see it but I was chatting to someone & one of those clubs above mentioned has made it a selling point that their inclusion in this national comp is more likelyhood then WESTS & he should come over next season to start with the program.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Bond is better than both. I'm sure TT will agree with me?
Got my vote. Both are good but Bond is awesome.

Southern X, are you saying you don't think Easts would be a viable option in the National comp? And to be fair, I think at least 8 clubs have more likelihood of being included than Wests.

You do well at creating some stir, I'll give you that.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Got my vote. Both are good but Bond is awesome.

Southern X, are you saying you don't think Easts would be a viable option in the National comp? And to be fair, I think at least 8 clubs have more likelihood of being included than Wests.

You do well at creating some stir, I'll give you that.

I don't think any of the compass teams will be included. Whilst it makes the most sense, the power brokers wouldn't allow it.

Obviously this comp is still in early stages n we should give benefit of doubt but if ClubX is using this as a poaching selling point to get a doggy down at ******* well that's gonna make my bolood boil.

I only used Brandon & Placid as examples because the Togers lads are easy to enrage... I mean engage :)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I mean University and Sunnybank would be obvious inclusions, and rightfully so for various on-field and off-field reasons.

I think between Brothers, Easts, Gold Coast and GPS it would have to come from them I don't know too much about financial strengths however but Easts and GPS seem to be going well. Plus they are in solid catchment areas.

I personally think the Gold Coast would be a horrible idea, and I don't think I need to divulge why. But they would not come into my considerations. They don't have the support or player quality.

PumpkinHead

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think any of the compass teams will be included. Whilst it makes the most sense, the power brokers wouldn't allow it.

Obviously this comp is still in early stages n we should give benefit of doubt but if ClubX is using this as a poaching selling point to get a doggy down at ******* well that's gonna make my bolood boil.

I only used Brandon & Placid as examples because the Togers lads are easy to enrage. I mean engage :)

Are you seriously not about to out the club who has come out and said this? If it works for them fair play. This competition still has to get backing from the clubs in both Brissy and Sydney.

As for what teams should be "In"... Why not a promotion/relegation system... Put even more emphasis on Hospital's Cup form and make it an even bigger reward for those teams... It will make each club become aspirational to compete on a national stage.

You keep tribalism, in fact you build it and it exposes more guys to cut throat rugby!! Let's take the 2013 season, there is no doubt that East's should be in a national comp, with GPS, Uni and Brothers... Why does Sunnybank have any call on a national comp with all their resources and players they still couldn't crack the finals... reward performance while engaging the local comp as the battlefield for a position in the National comp... Works pretty well in Premier League Football.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
The Bond Uni commitment to rugby union (especially 7s) has to be seen to be believed. Given Bond is also the home ground for the Breakers, and the former Vice Chancellor of UQ, who played a part in the effective reintegration of the Club with the Uni, is now the Chancellor of Bond, I'd fully expect that over the next few years GC will once again be a force in Qld rugby.

Their plans for rugby development that I have seen (publicly available) will put them on a par (if not ahead) with Sunnybank's 7s program very quickly.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
You need to look at the ARU strategy already released - Junior Gold Cup. It is a user pay system because the ARU has no money. Each centre contributes $24k and each player $660 which adds up to almost $3M.
A national club competition will follow the same strategy with participants paying an annual participation fee. The question is will there be enough takers because it will in effect be a donation as these competitions are not commercially viable. There were reports in last weekend's Sunday Mail about NEAFL and ISC clubs going broke.
If any club, group of clubs, franchise or private investors contribute then good on them as it is the only way the ARU pie looks like increasing. We currently lose players to external parties anyway, why would anyone be upset about them being kept within Australa.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It would be unfair not to have Brothers in this comp! Given our history, but, money wise...
Anyway, if it does happen it's ridiculous. it just favours the clubs with money and resources to be honest.

Surely it should favour the clubs with money and resources. If we want a viable comp we need to have some way of funding it. If clubs are looking for a handout to participate then it will be a financial blow out.
Brothers seem to be on the up financially. They made a good profit last year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I'm not saying he doesn't have a long history with Easts, just that he isn't an Easts Wallaby as he isn't registered with the Club in the season he became a Wallaby.

Peter Hynes played all of his junior rugby at Sunnybank, and some of his senior rugby too, but he is a Uni Wallaby as that is the club he played for when he became a Wallaby.

Also Stephen Moore is a Easts ACT player.

Status
Not open for further replies.