• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Should be a very ecumenical grand final weekend with a good spread of clubs.
Premier, 3rd Grade, Colts 2, Women: UQ
Premier Reserve: GPS
Premier Colts: Sunnybank
1st Grade: Logan
2nd Grade: Norths
4th Grade: Easts
Colts 1: Bonds

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
:( Well this year is not to be.

Irrespective of some dubious refereeing, GPS were a lot better and deserved the win. Brothers were good in patches but not good enough.

A very strong Brothers crowd turned up, but there wasn't too much to cheer about as you can imagine. Neither with Jeeps, I wouldn't say it was an overly interesting game.

But still hats off to Brothers. A team with no rep players did very well to get into the finals to begin with. With Matho and co working hard in the off season, I hope they can improve on this years finals appearance.

Congrats to Uni on making the final. I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the spectacle, but they have been the best team this year.

GPS do have the talent to knock-off the Bank, but I'm probably going to go along with TT and predict a Bankers v University final.

All and all, well done Jeeps and University today.

I look forward to 2015.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Oh and congrats to the Norths 2nd Grade side, they're through to their respective Grand Final after beating University.

I know there's no love lost in the 'North-side Derby' but I'm very pleased for the Eagles, especially the stalwarts of the club. I hope they take out that Premiership, which will hopefully lift the club in 2015.

T

Tigers Tale

Wow do GPS go into the Prelim as favourites given their Rnd 18 win?

Do Sunnybank change their starting lineup?

Would be great effort by GPS if they can make 2 GFs on the trot.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks Filth, really appreciate the support.

Our girls also have a shot. Up against a tough Sunnybank this weekend though to make it to the Grand Final against a very talented Uni side.

Question - and my wife brought this up:

Why isn't there club games played at Ballymore each week?

The facilities should be utilised more. It is a buzz running out onto a field which has had international matches.
Or is it because of the Roar and Reds etc? and taking the 'takings' away from the clubs (canteen, bar etc)

Prems, Prem Res and Prem Colts on Ballymore 1.
1st, 2nds, 3rds on field Ballymore 2.

Give each club a 1st round "home game" and a 2nd round "away game" there. Maybe a % of the takings can be donated back to the home club?

Even charge $2 at the gate to get in and watch the games on #1. A bit more heading back to the clubs.

Not sure on the maths and logistics as I was educated in South Auckland and only went to school to play rugby..... but wouldn't that work?

It is the home of Queensland Rugby and I feel should be utilised more.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth my apologies for tipping your guys last week.

But at least you got to see the Filth run around at Ballymore, and how good is your Reserve grade side going!!!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think cost is the issue TrainerGB. The QRU seem determined to charge people for the use of Ballymore. From what I understand it costs more to hire Ballymore for the day than the Roar pay to be based there.

Also a lot of Clubs survive off their bar and food takings at home games. Taking a game away could cost a club up to $5K. While not huge it does have an impact on the Clubs.

It would be great to have a match of the round there. Adds some excitement the the day. I remember playing there on a Friday night when they televised the games. It was always a bit of fun. I guess the fact that the Reds no longer play there would take away for the excitement a bit.

Sunday arvo match of the round with post match drinks in the Bundy bar would make for a great end to the weekend. It's what I am hoping for from the NRC.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats to all teams who got wins in the first week of finals.

Mixed weekend for GPS with a few of the lower grade teams getting knocked out. Still have Prems, Prem Reserve (straight into GF), Prem Colts and Colts 1 in the race though.

Also the women unlucky to be knocked out after a 5-5 draw with Norths, as the Eagles progress for finishing higher on the ladder, a shame there can't be some form of extra time played but it is what it is!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think cost is the issue TrainerGB. The QRU seem determined to charge people for the use of Ballymore. From what I understand it costs more to hire Ballymore for the day than the Roar pay to be based there.

That's incorrect. QRU don't charge for members to use it. It's your point below that is the reason. Clubs don't want to miss out on food and Bev takings. They only get so many club games at home a year and would kick and scream if more were taken from them.

Your comment about re roar is astronomically off too if I am reading it write. Are you suggesting the roars rent is less than a days hire cost?

Also a lot of Clubs survive off their bar and food takings at home games. Taking a game away could cost a club up to $5K. While not huge it does have an impact on the Clubs.

This is the reason.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Plus 2nd grade made it through to next round with a win over Logan. They will be very strengthened this week against Uni also with several first grade players also eligible for 2nds.

The next couple weekends at ballymore will be good.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
A yep forgot about 2nd grade, good work by them.

Filth, are Brothers holding Mad Monday celebrations today? Or will they be waiting to see how Prem Reserve and Prem Colts end up? I know in the past they've taken over the Orient hotel and the Jubilee so might stay away from that end of town ;)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's incorrect. QRU don't charge for members to use it. It's your point below that is the reason. Clubs don't want to miss out on food and Bev takings. They only get so many club games at home a year and would kick and scream if more were taken from them.

Your comment about re roar is astronomically off too if I am reading it write. Are you suggesting the roars rent is less than a days hire cost?

This is the reason.

All things I've been told Reg. Happy to be corrected.

NRC will fulfill my Ballymore requirements. Between that and Grand Final Day I should get my fix.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Ok, so what about having just Prems and Prem Colts play there on Saturday evenings?

6pm - Prem Colts
7.20pm - Premiers.

% of gate takings ($2-$5 entry) and bar & food to go to home club?

Gives time for footy from Reserve Grade down to be played during the day, then not only the clubs supporters, but other clubs to pop along to watch the "Match of the Round"

Televised live through the QRU website as well?

I know at Norths, it would be a goal for aspiring players to push hard for a spot in the team to run out on Ballymore etc.

Plus we all love (loved) playing night footy!!!

1 home game a year (even though only Prems and Prem Colts) would be ok surely?

I just think its under utilised as the home of Queensland Rugby.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I may be the only one who thinks this, but to me Ballymore is under utilized because its in need of an upgrade.

For example anyone who attended the Reds trial game out there earlier this year will remember how frustrating it was getting to and from the game (cabs were impossible to find and the public transport setup out there isn't ideal) and then once inside the stadium there was a 20+ min wait to get a drink. Those are logistics issues that I think shows the place needs to be upgraded before it can hold regular matches again, at any level.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I guess we will get a glimpse with the NRC coming up. Don't get be wrong, would love to see more footy there but just think there needs to be a few changes.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks Filth, really appreciate the support.

Our girls also have a shot. Up against a tough Sunnybank this weekend though to make it to the Grand Final against a very talented Uni side.

Question - and my wife brought this up:

Why isn't there club games played at Ballymore each week?

The facilities should be utilised more. It is a buzz running out onto a field which has had international matches.
Or is it because of the Roar and Reds etc? and taking the 'takings' away from the clubs (canteen, bar etc)

Prems, Prem Res and Prem Colts on Ballymore 1.
1st, 2nds, 3rds on field Ballymore 2.

Give each club a 1st round "home game" and a 2nd round "away game" there. Maybe a % of the takings can be donated back to the home club?

Even charge $2 at the gate to get in and watch the games on #1. A bit more heading back to the clubs.

Not sure on the maths and logistics as I was educated in South Auckland and only went to school to play rugby... but wouldn't that work?

It is the home of Queensland Rugby and I feel should be utilised more.

You have a smart wife there TGB! I think Ballymore being the spiritual home of rugby in our great state needs to be utilised more and showcasing a Premier grade a week there would be the ideal way to do it. I know talking to some of my kiwi mates that they do this as a matter of practice in their main centres. Mind you it was a few years back but they would regal their stories of being able to run onto Athletic Park in Wellington, Eden Park in Auckland, Rugby Park in Hamilton, Lancaster Park in Christchurch and not just in a final but a weekday match weekly too. I think even in Christchurch now they play at a place called Rugby Park (I think, great name) where there ITM team play a number of their games.
Needless to say it would be great to send a club game to Ballymore each week as the match of the round and if televised, it do more to profile the local game at the grassroots level.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
About 10 years ago, they used to broadcast and play regular games at Ballymore.

What about a Premier fixture as a curtain raiser for each Reds games at Suncorp?

TDB and Jeeper, your thoughts on yesterday's game?

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
About 10 years ago, they used to broadcast and play regular games at Ballymore.

What about a Premier fixture as a curtain raiser for each Reds games at Suncorp?

TDB and Jeeper, your thoughts on yesterday's game?

I would love to see more games as curtain raisers for reds games.. its common sense surely!

On the game, it was tough fought but I felt GPS were overall better. Both flyhalfs were rocks and diamonds and the pressure was certainly felt. Greene distributed well but was a speed hump in defence, also dont think he ran the ball once, the same could be said about Tuttle who imo is very sound defensively but needs to straighten up and take a run himself occasionally. Up front for GPS Fainga'a and kite had brilliant games as well as big Marco. Grasso had a massive game and Johnson was shut down pretty well but strong defensively. Samu made the biggest difference in the backs and ultimately the score board. His ability to break the first tackle and offload is unbelievable, we will miss him next year! Todd Winkley played well at fullback after Semiti was injured.

Good luck for next year mate, the filth have an extremely talented squad with no reps.. seem they can only get better with a good colts team also. The GPS vs Brothers colts battle next weekend will be great!

Speaking of colts, if anyone was watching, how good was Sikamenti in the prem reserves.. he will be a very good front rower down the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.