• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Logan must be fairly chuffed having got 1st and 3rd grades through, also Colts 2 still in the running after losing in the Major semi. If the club can pick up a few Premierships this year it will really show some good growth in 2014. I also noticed M Garland down as one of their try scorers in 1st grade, I'm assuming thats Matt Garland who played Prems at GPS a few years ago. A great pickup if thats the case.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Logan must be fairly chuffed having got 1st and 3rd grades through, also Colts 2 still in the running after losing in the Major semi. If the club can pick up a few Premierships this year it will really show some good growth in 2014. I also noticed M Garland down as one of their try scorers in 1st grade, I'm assuming thats Matt Garland who played Prems at GPS a few years ago. A great pickup if thats the case.
Yes that is correct Matt Garland has been playing there most of the season. Was a big call for him BigDog to leave GPS he loved it there but being a Logan junior was glad to come back. It's been a positive year at Logan with 5 out of the 6 senior sides making finals and 3 minor premierships. Was a mixed weekend with Logan 1st gaining entry into the Gf in 2 weeks, and Colts and thirds playing this weekend to hopefully book a spot as well. The game that was worth a watch was 2nds vs GPS where GPS went away with it towards the end. Only real let down was the lights on 2 do they even reach 100 lux, thought at one stage we rally all supporters to turn their car lights on so the game could get the proper lighting it deserved.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought the Garland's may have had a falling out with GPS or something? As Matt's younger brother Toua also left after completing pre-season and played the season at Sunnybank. I was out at Ballymore for the Colts 2 games - I saw Logan up 21-0 at halftime I thought? Couldn't believe they actually lost that game!

Anyway, good to see its been a good year there. All my dealings with the club in 2014 have been very positive.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cat A - can you provide any information as to why an old boy was introduced as Tim Tam, as the teams took to the field last weekend?

Leaky I'm not sure if it is the same Tim Tam but I played with a bloke in Nth Qld named Tim Tam who also had a year or two out at Uni. He became known as Tim Tam because he was watching a Test v NZ and Zinzan Brooke at No.8 kicked a field goal. As the incumbent No8 in 2nd grade at our club he said "that's my brother I taught him everything he knows" to which a reply came - "yeah you're his little brother - Tim Tam - but you melt under heat"

T

Tigers Tale

Any chance of Frisby turning out this weekend or in GF if GPS make it?

T

Tigers Tale

Who will be the Alec Evans Medalist (QPR player of the year) for 2014?

Smith from Wests?

First from Sunnybank?

Connor Mitchell from Uni?

Greene from Brother?

Johnson from GPS?

Ready/Brandon from Easts?

Both Greene and Johnson I think were the only multiple Mitsushi players of the round (happy to be corrected on this one if there is another)

Looking at past winners below the medallist does not usually play for a club that makes the finals - exceptions below Croft & McKibbin

Alec Evans Medal (Player of the Year)
2013 Brett Gillespie (Wests)​
2012 Matt Brandon (Easts)​
2011 Carlos Gavidi (North Brisbane)​
2010 Matt Blain (Stingrays)​
2009 David Croft (Brothers)​
2008 Brendan McKibbin (Brothers)​
Tooheys New Medal (Player of the Year)
2007 Matt Brandon (Easts)
2006 Charles Wyllie (Stingrays)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Thirst might be a chance in the Colt of the year.

Taefu is my pick form Sunnybank. It would have been Adams but he played less than half the season.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'm going to restate my theory that the winner will be the standout player in a team from outside the four because that is what the voting system lends itself to. The medal is voted on by referees on a 3-2-1 basis - the problem in teams such as Sunnybank is that the votes get 'diluted' by the three points being shared by a large group of players.

I can't see anyone from Uni amassing the points - I'm happy to be wrong - but if the winner were to come from Uni it'd be someone who has played every game or close to. From memory that'd leave Will Thompson, Campbell Wakely or Sam Cochrane. (Red Heavy could no doubt add to this list or correct me)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, bang on Cat. So we are looking for a player from a team lower down the ladder, plus either an inside back or backrower.

Perhaps James Turner, Tim Smith or Matty Ika?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
smokey is tim buchannan
He's missed a few games this year for the club through Reds A, benching for the Reds and injury (I think), and while he's been really solid (and invaluable to Uni), I think perhaps the referee votes in the games he played in would've been shared by McDuling, Browning, Cornelson, Arvier and Mitchell.

That said, I'd love nothing more than Bucky to get the nod.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
He's missed a few games this year for the club through Reds A, benching for the Reds and injury (I think), and while he's been really solid (and invaluable to Uni), I think perhaps the referee votes in the games he played in would've been shared by McDuling, Browning, Cornelson, Arvier and Mitchell.

That said, I'd love nothing more than Bucky to get the nod.

Cornelson played mainly in reserves this season so he is not in contention. Mitchell would be my choice. I dont know why he was not given the chance with NRC!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Will University have Harris back for the final?

I hope not. In my opinion, Dalgleish has been very good this year and deserves the 10 jumper for the Gf.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Cornelson played mainly in reserves this season so he is not in contention. Mitchell would be my choice. I dont know why he was not given the chance with NRC!

My point wasn't that any of those guys would win it, rather that they would have possibly been given points that otherwise could've gone to Buchanan. Mitchell missed all games until around May, and McDuling & Browning were away with the Reds for much of the season.

I'm with you in that I have no idea how Mitchell was overlooked for the NRC.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
yep, bang on Cat. So we are looking for a player from a team lower down the ladder, plus either an inside back or backrower.

Perhaps James Turner, Tim Smith or Matty Ika?
Turner would be my bet from that criteria.

I don't like the system used for this, but I guess there isn't many alternatives.

Sam Johnson, Andrew Ready, most of the Sunnybank backline deserve to be mentioned in player of the year discussions in my opinion.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't see why Ready would be up for it. He didn't do anything noticeable the two times I saw him play this year. With that being said, I doubt anyone from Brothers would get it.

Tim Smith from Wests has a very good chance.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, I know, but Brothers finished in the top 4. I really doubt they'd pick anyone if you look at seasons past.

Knox has been outstanding, though and well and truly deserve that NRC spot.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm putting a $1 each way on Chucky Mullins. Pesky but his mr fixit abilities almost helped an injury ravaged Tigers outfit make the top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.