• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth - here is the article where Coach Richards speaks to the South East Advertiser about the NRC.

I think every coach in QPR would love to have his team stand alone in the NRC and Richards is no different - probably over enthusiastic after his grand final win. Also put in context of pre-Christmas no one really knew the detail of the NRC - in fact do we the rugby community know any more post Christmas?

Also Richards was in charge of Easts when the ARC was run back in 2007 so he has some real time data to base some of his views.

South East Advertiser 18/12/13

EASTS coach Pat Richards says his club should be one of the teams in the new National Rugby Championship to be played in 2014.
The Australian Rugby Union last week announced the inception of the tournament which will include eight-10 teams from major population centres across Australia and will run for two months at the end of the Super 15 and club seasons.
And the man who led Easts to the 2013 Brisbane Premier Rugby title said the Tigers were the perfect club to be in the new competition.
“I think we’ve got to be a stand alone team in the new competition because we have a huge supporter base but I think if they go in the direction of combining teams and making franchises, the competition won’t work,” he said.
“You’ll lose that supporter base if you combine teams, but this is a great opportunity and I think we have got to be in it.
“We probably have the most fans out of any Brisbane clubs and also have a big junior base as well plus I think the quality of our players would shine.”
Richards said it was a great chance for local players to gain more exposure.
“I know Super 15 clubs have scouts and that sort of thing who come and check out the Brisbane and Sydney competitions, but with this competition they can check out these players every week,” he said.
Expressions of interest have been sent out to clubs by the ARU

As for whether Easts will be granted or even put in an EOI to stand alone I don't know but I don't think it was /will be a decision made by the coach.

Personally I don't really want any QPR club to be stand alone and think that the best model would have been for the QRU to use their resources (admin, coaches, players, grounds (Ballymore), sponsors, etc) to run the two Brisbane teams, but by the sounds of the other recent posts there seems to be a bit of angst in club land re the QRU.

On that clearly the governing body of the game in Qld is the QRU and the clubs are accountable to the QRU, the QRU run the competitions in which the clubs compete, but the clubs have ceased to get grants from the ARU/QRU so if the clubs are the ones who are funding club rugby then they should have a greater say in how the game is run in QLD, well in club land anyhow.

Wouldn't you love to be at that meeting of the clubs?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Easts board have done an awesome job turning the club around off the field as well as keeping the coaching and support staff at a high level despite many coaches moving on to bigger opportunities over the years.

I would back their ability to get sponsors and all the other aspects required. Whether or not these volunteers are willing to or able to put in the man hours I don't know. But I would love to see Easts Tigers in the NRC.

I hope the ARU / NRC have people involved with experience from the A-League. When it started they had a supplier deal with Reebok to supply every teams gear in the comp. This seems like a good idea to maximise revenue/reduce cost to begin with. Suppliers would probably pay a premium for exclusivity and could use their national distribution capabilities to maximise supporter apparel revenue. Where as individual clubs would probably have to pay a supplier and then only be able to sell out of their canteen or limited webstore.

Those timings for club rugby seem pretty early?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
What is with the Brisbane Premiership Competition structure released last Friday (1st Feb)?

Only 4 grades and 2 Colts, with 4th Grade and Colts 2 to play on the Friday night over only 9 rounds.

How do you charge the same fees to players who only get half a season?

Last season, Souths was one of the clubs that fielded 5 grades on Saturday and were looking at possibly more this season. Where do those players go?

Why does it feeel like grassroots rugby is being abandoned by the administrators?

I think now that there is "Premier Reserve Grade" that the "Brisbane 1st Grade" is now the 3rd team at the club not the 2nd anymore. So essentially there is still the same number of grades, just different names now. This makes it even more confusing when telling people what team you play in. But might help some with the ladies saying you're in 1st grade :D.

Hopefully Colts on Friday night will bring more young guys to clubland who can't/don't want to play saturdays due to Uni, work or hangovers.
I use to like Friday night games as it gave you an extra night to drink and you don't have to play in the brisbane heat at midday.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully Colts on Friday night will bring more young guys to clubland who can't/don't want to play saturdays due to Uni, work or hangovers.
I use to like Friday night games as it gave you an extra night to drink and you don't have to play in the brisbane heat at midday.

Generally, this is the opposite of when the clubs are saying colts rugby should be played and I agree with them. The expectation when leaving school is that all colts players get to bond with their mates and play footy on a saturday. As i've mentioned before generally (and im speaking in very broad terms here) the lowest team in a club, whether grades or colts naturally begin to feel alienated as they are seen as 'the rest' and can lack a team identity. In an environment such as colts it is even more important to remove that idea and making them play on an entirely different day is a step in the wrong direction.

Ive spoken to quite a few people involved at various clubs around Brisbane this week and the general consensus was that at least for the colts (not 100% sure about 4th grade) they would be opposing the proposition when meeting with the QRU soon.

I should mention I dont have any problems with friday night competitions but I believe they should be available for people who can't play saturdays or choose not to, not to be forced upon teams of school leavers.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Agree TBD. You want your Colts players to feel part of the Club as soon as possible. Especially the guys in the lowest Colts team. It's part of the reason I feel Colts teams should play on the same field one after the other, like schools do with age groups. You play your game and sit on the bench for the next team.

I'm also not sure about having all the Women playing at one ground each week is going to work. They also need to be made to feel a part of the Club. Going to be some issues organising Ladies day if all the female members of the Club are playing on the other side of town.

T

TOCC

From my experience post school and transitioning in the club rugby, Colts was where the majority of players fell off, with studies, work, costs, partying it comes too much for people to keep training and playing. As a Colt, feeling inclusiveness within the club and getting to know some of the senior grade players definitely helps in player retention IMO.

The Women playing all at one ground could actually be a good move i think, rugby union is male dominated environment so its rather intimidating for women to play when the majority of those on the sidelines are men, i think playing in an environment where everyone is there purely for the purpose of supporting womens rugby could be a good thing.

We talk about club culture, but lets be honest, most of these club culture are once again male dominated, from drinking games to initiation rituals etc, a lot of this isn't going to appeal to women. The only women i have ever seen at a certain QPR 'Players Nights' were strippers or bar tenders.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
TOCC I really enjoy a lot of your posts about rugby and I don't normally find much to disagree with. But the parts in your post about women's rugby just depressed the hell out of me. I think you have massively underestimated the young men who are playing rugby at clubs with women's teams, and I also think you have done a disservice to the women who play the same game as the men.

Firstly, the women I know who play rugby are as intimidated by playing in front of men as any boy/man would be. The women's rugby players, just like their male counterparts, are there to play a game of rugby; they are NOT playing with the thought that "all these men are making fun of me and don't think I should be playing rugby. OMG they're probably looking at my butt when I bend over".

Just like the men, they expect that people are watching them play rugby. And I have yet to watch a women's rugby game where the male spectators have made the playing environment so hostile that women feel intimidated to play. Thankfully most men are inherently respectful of women, and just want to watch whatever footy is being played in front of them.

Secondly, at Uni (and I also believe Sunnybank and at Wests and I'm sure others too, but I know girls from these clubs) the women's team is an integral part of the club and is therefore welcome at ANY AND ALL club events. There are also women throughout the club who are involved as volunteers who are part of the team and are also welcome and, in fact, encouraged to get along to the events. The women's team never win the boat race, but they also never ask for handicaps and they never make excuses when they lose.

The club culture is only unsuitable or unattractive to women if it is allowed to become that way. The rest of us non-strippers and non-topless-bartenders get from the club exactly what every man gets out of his involvement: great mates, great stories, and a readymade friend in seemingly every bar of every single stadium/pub/city in the world.

(The women's games being played all at the same place makes sense from a logistical standpoint given how far apart they all are and how variable the game times are. But I'm disappointed that there is no prospect of every Uni team playing at home this year - usually happened only once every year or two anyway.)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As someone who married a Women's player I can vouch for the benefits of having the Women as part of the Club. (Cat back in my day the Uni Women won most of the boat races so things must have changed).

At Sunnybank the Women are some of the most committed to the Club. They are great ambassadors for the Club and as a result have benefited with the Men's and Women's Sevens programs gaining equal footing. They Women train as hard as the Men and as a result they gain the respect of everyone at the Club.

We have actually had some great feedback from playing the Women after Premier Grade. We did this on our Old Boys day in 2012 and most of the guys were very impressed with the skills and ability of the players.

I feel sorry for any Club that doesn't have a Women's team and more so for the ones that do but don't include them in the social side of things.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Your wife stopped playing Jets. That's why they lose now.
BUT
A women's player did win the nude gift outright

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think Brothers has a women's team.

They did a few years ago - a really lovely group of people. I can't speak to how far they were involved in club activities, but I remember they were extremely competitive and they won more than they lost.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think they may have played in a grand final in 2003 against Uni. Scored on full time under the posts and only had to convert to win the game. The players carried on so much that the kicker took longer than the required time to kick the goal and Uni won the game.

T

Tigers Tale

My sources say that there could have been as many as 4 Bne clubs & the Gold Coast who put in stand alone EOIs for the NRC - now it didn't cost anything to put in an EOI & you weren't committing to anything by doing so.

Interesting politics in Qld Rugby club land lay ahead.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think they may have played in a grand final in 2003 against Uni. Scored on full time under the posts and only had to convert to win the game. The players carried on so much that the kicker took longer than the required time to kick the goal and Uni won the game.

I think that was Norths Jets.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
My sources say that there could have been as many as 4 Bne clubs & the Gold Coast who put in stand alone EOIs for the NRC - now it didn't cost anything to put in an EOI & you weren't committing to anything by doing so.

Interesting politics in Qld Rugby club land lay ahead.

The EOIs were announced - not the individual clubs but the summary data. I'm surprised there were only 4 EOIs, given that obtaining the EOI was the only way anyone could find out information. My sources are confident that no Qld team is putting in a standalone bid, and there are doubts as to whether any bids are going in at all from north of the border.

In other news, on the junior thread there is uproar over the $200 per team levy charged by the ARU - can confirm it's also for senior teams and it will be pursued by the ARU for 2014. My understanding is that if you pay the $200 then it gives you a reduction for that team in insurance etc. - looks like the ARU have negotiated a better insurance deal but want to take the difference (plus extra) to help their cash-flow.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Yep there is a $200 + gst ARU national competition registration fee for each competitive team AND then the annual team insurance fee is $1790 for seniors, $1020 under 19s, $140 juniors.
Seniors it's a reduction of $100 on the insurance from last year.... But the registration fee soon chews that up......... Twice......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'm pretty sure it was Brothers. I was in the stands and thought it was quite funny at the time.

You and I might be thinking of different years- unfortunately there were 2 or 3 years in a row with finals debacles. I recall a trophy being taken from one team and give to the other too, weeks after the final.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

T

Tigers Tale

Gee there are a few boys firing up over on the 3rd Tier thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom