• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Seriously - 1 Bne team & a Qld Country team???

Sounds like the NRC will be run with the best interests of NSW oh I mean Australian rugby!!!

But it is fair to say that if u put the non-Wallaby Reds into two teams not much room for the next bracket of Prem players in Qld whilst the non-Wallaby Waratah will be shared between 5 clubs which means there will be greater opportunities for the Shute Shield club players.

T

Tigers Tale

Be interesting to see how Jonah Placid goes in the trial v Chiefs tomorrow.

Good luck to Quirkie, Aidan & Jonah.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Ahh right my bad. Just a side note, it was actually the other way around, Willy was the young'en who'd just had his breakout season with the Reds but the GPS coach (maybe Heenan at the time or Pini) decided to keep using the experienced Sully at halfback (who I still think should have been given a Super Rugby contract back in his day) so Will cracked the shits.
Agree, Sully was good enough to play Super Rugby. Shame not to see one of Yoku's local greats not at least get a chance.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
We all don't have a Community Club to fund it my friend.

But Jets for the record I wish we had one at Bottomley!!

For all the flake thrown in the direction of Sunnybank & Uni (plenty coming from me) without those clubs setting the benchmark over the last few years it wouldn't be as hard a competition to win as it is.

As Wayne Bennett says "don't get bitter get better" - that is what Easts did this year, had a charmed run with injury, held a core group of players together over a number of years, got lucky with the injection of two outstanding young talents, the stars aligned, etc

It really was a wonderful day at the Grand Final and I am not just saying that because Easts won - the number and passion of the supporters from both clubs particularly the juniors was remarkable. I don't think they can replicate that tradition in the National Club Competition.

I think Sunnybank, Uni & (maybe) the Bond Uni Breakers are the only clubs who could stump up with the cash, and as for what someone said a little earlier - I agree the Breakers would be at un-backable odds to take out the Premier Grade wooden spoon in 2014 unless Logan are admitted.

I don't think it would be fair on the Saints (Logan) to bring them in next year wait until 2015.

If the Breakers do finish last next year by a long margin then maybe they should be punted and left as purely a colts club, with Premier grade reverting to an 8 team competition - this comment will set off Breakers fans! (I can feel the Butler, Cox, etc comments coming already).

A lesson for the ARU here - cash doesn't win games of football - at the start of the 2013 the Breaker talked up how their partnership with Bond Uni was going to make them a power house of the Premier Competition, in Australian Rugby, etc - well boys time to walk the talk in 2014.

They tried to make the Stingrays and Redlands work but eventually they had to face the facts.

Having had my rant I would really like to see the Breakers lift their game and start seeing their colts success translate into Premier Grade victories, but I just can't see it happening in 2014.

My 2014 bolters will be Norths and Souths (the Magpies are not under the radar anymore.)

Big question marks will be whether Easts & GPS can repeat their 2013 successes because Uni, Sunnybank & Brothers will try to come back hard after their respective difficulties towards the end of 2013.

But SX after your comments about the Easts fans I really hope the Doggies challenge the Breakers for the wooden spoon.

This will set me up for future ridicule but my 2014 predictions are:
1. Easts (of course);
2. Souths;
3. Sunnybank;
4. Uni;
5. Norths;
6. Brothers;
7. GPS;
8. Wests;
9. Breakers.

Tigers Tale
Jeeps 7th you're having a laugh mate! With Frisby, Kerevi, Kuridrani. Kite, Ellis still on the books with the Fainga'a twins making the odd appearance they are a definite top 4 squad. Handy pick ups of Somi Tupou (ex Souths Reggie's 10) and some quiet mail of Stephen Hunt shoring up some much needed depth in the inside backs after returning from Sydney Uni, the boys from Yoku will be contenders again this year.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
My mail is Drahm was appointed Prems backs coach. As far as the clean out goes I believe GPS sacked the 1st Grade forwards coach...apparently 4 grand finals in four years including 2 premierships and club coach of the year two years ago is not good enough for the club anymore.

This GPS supporter hopes the club is not adopting a win at all costs mentality

Was a pretty disgraceful call. Apparently some Gen Y soft underbelly reviews cost him the gig. Scott McMullen was a character cut from the old cloth, shame to see him go. Wonder how the debrief went?

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Let's use your precious GPS as a example @bigdog
How long do you imagine your talent pool would stick around your club if they weren't afforded the opportunity to player higher grade footy? I'd think only the most loyal of clubman would stick around because everyone playing premier grade is using it as a stepping stone to hopefully play a higher level of footy.

I've heard of the Reds holding back players from club footy but I've never heard of the reds holding back players from the wallabies. This is exactly what your suggesting could happen that a club would boycott the national comp setup because they were not happy with the format. Snowflake chance in hell they'd have a shot because you pay your insurance to the QRU/ARU & not to GPS. And t would then fall on the player making the decision whether they wanted to play for the Brisbane Central/north team or stand united with the GPS boycott cause.
Almost had enough of your anti- Jeeps rhetoric. Most of which is unfounded. Glass houses.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Lat
I think the idea of this 'new' comp is absolutely ludicrous. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this was only introduced by a New South Welshman (typical) whose pissed off Sydney University has been so dominant in the Shute Shield.

As for the GPS and Brothers situation you’d get a better reaction by letting a pig loose in a synagogue, we want nothing to do with those latte’ sippers from Ashgrove.
Latte sippers? Hahahaha mate I've heard it all now, someone from the filth claiming to be blue collar. That'll do me! Lol

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
@tigerland12 on the topic of your now deleted post Jnr was just retweeting what kirisome auvaa who was a freakish junior league talent. I believe may have played some 12 for Australia a schoolboys in 2009...if he is going there that is a whole lot of talent existing and new on the GPS backline.especially considering they have signed the Australia A 12 from the next year in Sam Johnson who is also training with the reds.whole lot if backline talent at GPS and they somehow have to keep them all happy. Just goes to show

#moneytalks #premiership2014purchased
You bulldogs supporters really are a bitter bunch are'nt you? Maybe just going to a club to expose yourself to what's needed at the higher level is reason enough? Get a grip!

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Just using reds players from the north side (who probably won't be wallabies without injury)

1 Sef faaganse
2 Chibba/ Fiangaa
3 Jonno Owen
4 o'donoghue
5 McDuling
6 browning
9 frisby
10 Harris
11 shipperly/kuridrani
12 ant fiangaa
13 samu kerevi
14 rocket
15 Jj Tualugi/turner (assuming he goes GPS)

Not a lot of room for amateur premier players without top end injuries
Faagase to the bench for Kite, browning to 8, Ellis to 6, Price (the old warhorse) to 7.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
GO HOME STALLION
YOU'RE DRUNK!!!

84e.gif

T

Tigers Tale

Jeeps 7th you're having a laugh mate! With Frisby, Kerevi, Kuridrani. Kite, Ellis still on the books with the Fainga'a twins making the odd appearance they are a definite top 4 squad. Handy pick ups of Somi Tupou (ex Souths Reggie's 10) and some quiet mail of Stephen Hunt shoring up some much needed depth in the inside backs after returning from Sydney Uni, the boys from Yoku will be contenders again this year.

Wow Stallion thanks for your contributions - I am no longer the angriest one eyed support on this forum!

Ok 7th below Norths & Bros was a gee up but I really think both Easts & GPS will have to work hard with lesser squads than last year to get back to back GFs.o

That is a balanced opinion - I don't think you'll get much game time from the blokes who make the Reds best 23 and I think GPS will pay a bigger price in terms of loss of players to the Reds whilst I think Easts will have to resign themselves to being without Quirk, Toua & (probably) Enever, & that's on the back of losing Butler, Bertini & Stolberg.

Don't worry the Easts v GPS games will be cracking games this year - I think there might be a bit of bad blood between the two GF combatants borne from mutual respect and combativeness.

Just 42 days to QPR14.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Wow Stallion thanks for your contributions - I am no longer the angriest one eyed support on this forum!

Ok 7th below Norths & Bros was a gee up but I really think both Easts & GPS will have to work hard with lesser squads than last year to get back to back GFs.o

That is a balanced opinion - I don't think you'll get much game time from the blokes who make the Reds best 23 and I think GPS will pay a bigger price in terms of loss of players to the Reds whilst I think Easts will have to resign themselves to being without Quirk, Toua & (probably) Enever, & that's on the back of losing Butler, Bertini & Stolberg.

Don't worry the Easts v GPS games will be cracking games this year - I think there might be a bit of bad blood between the two GF combatants borne from mutual respect and combativeness.

Just 42 days to QPR14.

Let's see some predicted teams before we start predicting ladder movements. It might save the club bashing as it's based on 'some' thought process.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Let's see some predicted teams before we start predicting ladder movements. It might save the club bashing as it's based on 'some' thought process.

Breakdown one thing is certain, Breakers will be wooden spooners. I have been down to one training and already I am questioning my loyalty. The roster looks more depleted than last season and the senior group training looked woeful. I think Logan should swap places with the Breakers who should be in 2nd grade!!! Disappointing as a long term Breakers supporter to have to say that but unfortunately progress is not on the horizon for our club.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Breakdown one thing is certain, Breakers will be wooden spooners. I have been down to one training and already I am questioning my loyalty. The roster looks more depleted than last season and the senior group training looked woeful. I think Logan should swap places with the Breakers who should be in 2nd grade!!! Disappointing as a long term Breakers supporter to have to say that but unfortunately progress is not on the horizon for our club.

They've recruited fairly aggressively in Colts from what I've heard. Did you see any of their training session?

For a club which has gone so well in colts for years now it's disappointing that there hasn't been the transfer of players to grades. Does anyone know where the colts from 2012 & 2013 have headed to?

T

Tigers Tale

Breakers colts 2012-13 where are they?

Mr Filth will lead you to believe that they are all at Tigerland but I can assure you that very few if any of these two Breaker's sides ended up at Bottomley.

The Cox twins played in the Breakers Colts (2011) who played in the GF and then joined Easts 2012.

The other TSS lads like UJ Seuteni & Petowa Paraka came straight from school in 2012 (i.e. finished TSS 2011).

Jarrad Butler came to Easts in 2012 but he had previously played grades at Breakers as he was a little older than the other guys but was also a TSS product.

Jack Kimmince I think was also in the Breaker 2011 colts side, and joined Easts 2012 but suffered a serious knee injury in pre-season and didn't pull on a tigers jersey until 2013.

Will Hanton was older than these guys and came to the Tigers in 2011.

They were all TSS boys and as I have said before on this forum - one of the primary reasons they came to Easts was that Karel Boss (TSS teacher) was coaching at Easts at the time.

There have always been close ties between Easts & the Breakers and that dates back to when Grant Batty & Mike Thomas (RIP) went from Easts in 1999 to coach the Breakers. In fact every time the two meet they play for the Batty Bremner Thomas Trophy.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry- I wasn't aiming to stir up the Easts - GC "debate" because it's been done to death and it bores me to tears. FFS players move clubs. They're allowed to.

If no one has an idea that's fine, but for the sake of my intolerance for tedium, please leave my question out of this particular interclub pissing match.

Status
Not open for further replies.