• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I hope Norths have a better season.

I agree with you TrainerGB on players leaving clubs. That's rugby!

Not too many leave Brothers though, once you reach the pinnacle of Australian Club Rugby, it's nearly impossible to go back!

Haha - obviously I disagree with the content of the statement, but there must be something in the substance. The turnover rate at Crosby Rd has been, at least to my recollection, extremely low over the years.

How many Premier and first grade players last year had chalked up 50 and 100 games for the club?

(that question is intended as a statement, but if anyone happens to have a rough guess I'd be interested)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The 2 book ends I think. Adam Bennie and Adrian Dixon both got 100 caps this year. I'm not 100% sure though.

T

Tigers Tale

Not too many leave Brothers though, once you reach the pinnacle of Australian Club Rugby, it's nearly impossible to go back!

Mr Filth - PLEASE I don't have the time to respond.

You are sounding like the Randwick supporters who still live in the memories of the Ella's & the 1980s. The rugby world order in QPR has changed my friend.

T

Tigers Tale

Best club in Australia, it's a pleasure, I'm sure there are a few Wicks, Uni and Sydney Uni people who would disagree. A whole new thread could be created on this topic but then I remember that everything on Green and Gold Rugby has to revolve around Easts Brisbane Rugby Club, so I'll leave it there.

Come on Filth you're the one making the claim of best club in Aust, if so why is your club the best? There are 9 great clubs in the QPR who all start on the same number of points in round 1.

You are sounding like some of those south of the border.

I think you misunderstand me I would never make such a claim about my club.

But I would have a couple of titles for your club which others might agree with me on:
1. Most disliked club in the comp;
2. Most arrogant.

I think you already know and accept #1 but your head is too high in the sky to appreciate #2.

Be humble my friend.

Good luck to Matho & your lads in 2014.

If there is a greatest club in Aust then on performance over the last decade it has to be Sydney Uni.

T

Tigers Tale

Now I know I'm only new to this forum thing.. but I'm PRETTY sure Filth made that comment tongue in cheek...

Now I can see why he did ;)

Trainer GB Filth started this one not me.

It was his "everything must revolve around Easts" comment not so much his greatest club in Aust because at one stage Brothers were the best club in Aust when McLean, Shaw, Moon etc all played for them it's just that they are no longer the best club in Aust, let alone Qld.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Doesn't every club think they're the best club around though? And isn't "best" a subjective term that may not necessarily refer to playing results and representative players?

I didn't think he was talking about on-field results - he mentioned that not many players leave once they were there and it made me think he was referring to all the club activities (club nights, players becoming lifelong mates, training facilities & equipment & coaches are what they are after, location etc). Given their low player turnover I'd say that the players who play there absolutely agree that it's the best club in Australia - for them.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Speaking of best....

Uni play GPS at Albany Creek this weekend and I'm excited for the burgers and hospitality at GPS Juniors at Albany Creek. I spent a day there a few years ago now and their organisation, hospitality and BBQ quality has not been topped. Yep, by my burger-friendliness-organisation quality measurement, Albany Creek GPS is the best.

I'm sure the game will be entertaining too. ;)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agreed Cat. Before a couple of years ago the Albany Creek and Ashgrove GPS clubs didn't share much in common (at least to my knowledge) expect a few merged juniors teams. Really happy we've decided to head out there for trial games as the fields are always in good nick and the hospitality is outstanding. Should be a good day, a bit annoyed though that they've got Prem Grade and Prem Colts at different venues as I've heard GPS Prem colts this year are red hot, always next week I guess.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
The day I was referring to was a club-wide trial - all 16 teams from both clubs. A logistical masterpiece and a great experience.

I think on Saturday they only have access to one field (the main one) so the alternative to splitting the colts and grades was to go from 8am until 8pm. I've been told that the colts games will be done by 1:30 at Uni (?) though so there'll be time to get from one to the other to watch/play in Prems.

T

Tigers Tale

Cat_A I must say that I agree when you say:

Doesn't every club think they're the best club around though? And isn't "best" a subjective term that may not necessarily refer to playing results and representative players?

When you talk about a rugby club I think you talk about the whole club not just the Premier Grade Results & their Representative players.

It may surprise many of you but using an overall perspective I'd say GPS were the "best" Rugby Club in Qld last year:

- 1,000+ juniors (more than Easts 900+, which is not something Uni have);

- Numerous grades (4 plus colts 1??) in the GF;

- Must have finished 2nd/3rd in Doughty Shield;

- There community spirit/carnival atmosphere on a Friday night/Saturday morning;

- Local Ashgrove area got behind the club in the GF week (incl. the Premier who wore a GPS shirt to the GF);

- Club had two bases with Albany Creek;

- Fact that they managed to work through the politics to merge the senior & junior clubs;

- They also have strong bond to schools in the area - e.g. Marist Brothers; AND

- I am sure they'd do the social aspects that every rugby club does - well.

Mind you I must say that 2013 was also a great year for the Tigers.

I am sure that every club is just striving to provide an avenue for people to enjoy Rugby/their mates and the QPR clubs all do it well, and the QRU competitions wouldn't be the same if we lost anyone. I will miss the trip up to Kawana this year.

I hope all clubs have a successful 2014 even Brothers!!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks for that little GPS pump up TT, rather enjoyed it! It has been a good little run lately with 4 premierships in 2012 also and quite a few the year before I believe. Hopefully get the big one this year!

I agree it is very hard to put a 'best' label on a club for any number of reasons. Club footy is hardly just about results on the field. I know plenty of blokes who've played at GPS for 10+ years and played in only a few finals, you'd hardly call that successful in a winning sense but they've come back every year to do it all again and for reasons obviously unrelated to winning.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I was only taking the piss, TT. A lot of players have gone to GPS, so it was more an ironic statement. I understand it's hard to pick up certain sentiment through reading.

I totally agree with Cat in regards to Albany Creek GPS, along with probably Everton Park, those two clubs are incredibly well run.

T

Tigers Tale

Ok Filth - your sins are absolved.

I am just a bit sensitive when it comes to things like choker tags, clubs thinking there are better than others, etc.

Yes there are great clubs/schools in Qld who aren't even aligned with QPR clubs who are doing wonderful Rugby things with little support from the ARU/QRU.

I will try to present a more balance view on the forum in 2014.

Let the fun and games for QPR14 begin.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was only taking the piss, TT. A lot of players have gone to GPS, so it was more an ironic statement. I understand it's hard to pick up certain sentiment through reading.

I totally agree with Cat in regards to Albany Creek GPS, along with probably Everton Park, those two clubs are incredibly well run.

Everton park has been diabolically run up until the last year or so. The club was in dire straits.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, this is a rather stupid question, but I'll ask anyway; Are Easts changing their jersey so they do not clash with Sydney University? I think the same was done in their 2008 Club Championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom