• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

I think T12 and others may have alluded to it previously, but I think we underplay the difference that a top quality 10 (and 9 to a degree) has on the success of a team, particularly in QPR. Given a solid/physical forward pack is essential, but I think one of the main deciding factors between which of the top 6 teams feature in the finals this year will be the ability of the fylhalves to guide their teams around the paddock. With that in mind I think Easts (with Brandon), Uni (who plays in lieu of Harris?) and Brothers (depending on Greene's invlolvement) in no particular order will make up the top three, with the fourth spot open to either GPS, Sunnybank or Souths. Of these three Sunnybank probably has the best flyhalf prospects in Ben Lucs, Dion Taumata and even Tom Lucas. Who will likely don the 10 jerseys for GPS and Souths?

SOTG my learned tigers friend I think you may need to do a bit more study on QPR14 prospects.
1. I wouldn't right off GPS - they will be very strong;
2. I'd say the same about Souths;
3. Uni & Snbk depth will be tested because they won't see their Reds;
4. Brothers don't have that "3" problem but will be are a bit of an unknown factor given player turnover at end of last season and the introduction of Matho and youth.
5. I can't see anyone else featuring really sorry to Norths, Wests, GCB but if nothing changes nothing will change.

Jets didn't Dion spit the dummy & go OSeas? Won't see much of Ben lucas(reds) or Tom(Aust 7s).

T

Tigers Tale

I'll get my friend Tiger Tales to confirm about Sam Greene coming back to the Holy Land?

Look Filth if it makes you happy that Greene plays at Crosby this year then I'm happy for you it's just that a month ago I was told by the Reds A assistant coach and a number of his Reds A team mates that he was definitely playing for Wests - clearly things can change and if he's training at Crosby that would be a pretty good indication that he's not playing for Wests.

Seriously can I just say the following:
1. Has there ever been so much conjecture about where a guy will play?
2. SX/TD I know he was the leading points scorer in the comp which was admirable given Wests finished 6th BUT is he really that good a player just yet because I've heard his two efforts for the Reds A have been anything but impressive;
3. If he's playing for Brothers why did he bother going to Ballymore to watch Wests v U20s last Saturday?
4. My intel is that trouble/issues tend to follow wherever he goes;
5. Good luck to him wherever he ends up but please make a decision and stick to it, it not good for Wests, SX or TD.

T

Tigers Tale

Just heard that only two of Easts starting Grand Final side are turning out against Souths in the trial tomorrow so will give the new boys and reggies a good go.

The Nest is usually a good place to go (apart from parking) and Souths have remarkable depth so should be a good test for the Tigers across all grades.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Look Filth if it makes you happy that Greene plays at Crosby this year then I'm happy for you it's just that a month ago I was told by the Reds A assistant coach and a number of his Reds A team mates that he was definitely playing for Wests - clearly things can change and if he's training at Crosby that would be a pretty good indication that he's not playing for Wests.

Seriously can I just say the following:
1. Has there ever been so much conjecture about where a guy will play?
2. SX/TD I know he was the leading points scorer in the comp which was admirable given Wests finished 6th BUT is he really that good a player just yet because I've heard his two efforts for the Reds A have been anything but impressive;
3. If he's playing for Brothers why did he bother going to Ballymore to watch Wests v U20s last Saturday?
4. My intel is that trouble/issues tend to follow wherever he goes;
5. Good luck to him wherever he ends up but please make a decision and stick to it, it not good for Wests, SX or TD.

Wests or Brothers aside, I would assume he went to Ballymore to watch his QLD u20's team mates?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, I really couldn't care either way if it's the Brethren or Wests, I only asked you to confirm because you know him personally, I didn't ask out of rhetorical spite!

T

Tigers Tale

I wouldn't say I know Greene personally.

I just think it is asking a lot of an 18/19 year old to step up as a polished #10 at Premier Grade or Reds A level. Even Quade gave us heart palpitations in his early Reds days and UJ took a year to work out that what he did at schoolboy rugby wouldn't work at Premier Grade level. Placid probably worked it out a bit quicker than UJ but he wasn't throw in the deep end like UJ was.

UJ has matured greatly as a result of two JRWC and two seasons playing Premier Grade. When you don't perform at Premier Grade level if the opposition don't sort you out the crowd will!! UJ copped a bit from the natives at Bottomley in those formative stages.

But god forbid if something happened to Matt Brandon I'd say that UJ would relish the opportunity to steer the tigers around the park and he'd do it well with support of the natives now!!

Even though the average age in Premier grade has dropped since the good old days - it can still sort the men out from the boys and I'd be interested to see what SX/TD thought of Greene's game management & defence in 2013?

I will make one last statement on the Greene matter - I don't think he would present the same level of anxiety on the opposition as Dallan Murphy did - well not at this stage of his career in any event.

Is Damon Murphy running around this year?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I though Sam was a great game manager, His biggest asset is his boot & the other stuff like passing IQ will come in time. I had heard he had suspect defense when he arrived but he took whatever came running his way.. not a textbook tackler but definitely didn't shy from the contact.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Sam Greene is a fantastic player and person. I would say the constant changing of his mind is directly related to the fact that he like most 18/19 year olds think that higher honours has something to do with your
Clubs success rather than your own personal achievements. Which to a degree could be true? However over the last few years wests have churned out a surprising number of professionals even when the club was at its darkest.

So I would say Greene's fear over being stuck in a losing team and having that affect his career could be a big factor. However I have always been a believe in if your good enough you will make it if you want it enough and I think Greene is good enough.

I actually am scared at the prospect of having to verse Greene now with that little extra experience under his belt. Goodnight and good luck to
Him

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Sam Greene is a fantastic player and person. I would say the constant changing of his mind is directly related to the fact that he like most 18/19 year olds think that higher honours has something to do with your
Clubs success rather than your own personal achievements. Which to a degree could be true? However over the last few years wests have churned out a surprising number of professionals even when the club was at its darkest.

So I would say Greene's fear over being stuck in a losing team and having that affect his career could be a big factor. However I have always been a believe in if your good enough you will make it if you want it enough and I think Greene is good enough.

I actually am scared at the prospect of having to verse Greene now with that little extra experience under his belt. Goodnight and good luck to
Him

What ever happened to a players dream of winning a club premiership? Could it just be that he didn't envisage Wests winning the chocolates whereas he saw Brothers having potential?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What ever happened to a players dream of winning a club premiership? Could it just be that he didn't envisage Wests winning the chocolates whereas he saw Brothers having potential?

If winning a championship was his sole motivation then he would of gone to Easts or GPS as rumoured.

I assume he went back to Brothers because it's his junior club.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

Premierships don't happen overnight years if work need to be put in. If Greene and even sef were willing to wait a year or two maybe things would have been different.

Wests have had a good coaching staff the last 2 years, it's now a matter of players willing to commit to working towards something.

clubland

Bob McCowan (2)
TT.
Just heard that only two of Easts starting Grand Final side are turning out against Souths in the trial tomorrow so will give the new boys and reggies a good go.

The Nest is usually a good place to go (apart from parking) and Souths have remarkable depth so should be a good test for the Tigers across all grades.
TT.Any report on the games at Chipsy Wood.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Fra
When/if Grasso heads off i'm sure Curtis Franks will be given a decent crack at the job, although he was stuck in 2nd grade a bit last year with Scott Malolua playing a head of him. Also colt James Tuttle I believe played 9/10 at Nudgee last year and has been training with the Prems squad so he's another option.

Franks has retired, I think first can off the rank should be Scott Malolua

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
From Norths facebook site re trial against Central Qld in Rocky

Norths prems 38-0 win
Colts 31-22 win

1sts 19-0 win

This weekends trial against Souths will give a much better indication of how the Eagles may fair in 2014

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure of scores since I've been unable to find anyone from GPS or Uni (players and coaches from both sides) who were keeping score, and I never keep track of it either.

Those that I've spoken to said that Uni probably got up, but it was what you'd expect from the first trial - lots of dropped balls and missed tackles. Still, some positives to take from it for both teams. Coaches seemed happy with the performances of their respective sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.