• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Hopefully the Waratahs A side are also in the final and that Sydney Uni have a number of U20s involved in the Aust U20 Champs as well.

Great opportunity for these guys to play in front of what will hopefully be a large parochial Bottomley crowd.

Battle of the tongue between Josh Parry & Tom Carter(former Waratah #12) is going to be a highlight I think!!

Should be a great spectacle next weekend Syd Uni kicked off their campaign today by putting Eastwood away 35-15. Pity the 20s championship falls on the same weekend with the Tigers well represented.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting rumour this week.
RUPA have walked away from the NRC. It will not go ahead.
There is talk of a private comp during August/September between some financial clubs in the void that had now been artificially created.
3 teams from Brisbane
3 teams from Canberra & Sydney South
3 teams from Sydney
Local play offs
Central venue 3 day gala weekend

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting rumour this week.
RUPA have walked away from the NRC. It will not go ahead.
There is talk of a private comp during August/September between some financial clubs in the void that had now been artificially created.
3 teams from Brisbane
3 teams from Canberra & Sydney South
3 teams from Sydney
Local play offs
Central venue 3 day gala weekend
Gala weekend for finals

T

Tigers Tale

Given Sydney Uni's trial form and the fact that Easts will be without their Reds A & U20 representatives - Sydney Uni would have to be firm favourites for this Saturday's Australian Club Championship match.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The fact that Reds A are playing this weekend could have some real affect across the round. University is probably the hardest hit for the weekend, however both brothers and GPS are missing what I would call key players.
Could make for an unpredictable round...

T

Tigers Tale

Brothers v Sunnybank
Bond University v GPS
Souths v Norths
Wests v University of Queensland

Round 1 QPR 2014

TD I don't think this will save your boys or the Bond Uni lads this weekend, but if I am wrong then would make for an interesting table after round 1.

The Brothers v Sunnybank game is going to be very interesting to see the respective capabilities of these two sides.

Filth with the Reds still in SA will Bond, Gendle get call ups to Reds A? Or could Toby White get a call up in the outside backs?

Remember that with the U20 Champs on in Canberra also, this puts other players like Greene, Gunn, Placid, Gale out of contention for Reds A this weekend, so players will need to fill their spots as well.

Souths will be heavily affected too as they have a lot of players in contention for the QLD U20s.

It would be a very interesting start to the season if Bond Uni, Norths & Wests got up this weekend.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, can please detail the Easts line-up against Sydney University on the weekend?

TD, I don't think it will affect Bros too much.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - I did so back on page 48 and I think it will look something like:

1 Jack Kimmince
2 Matt Randell
3 Kirwan Sanday
4 James Moore/Owain Lloyd
5 Greg Riley
6 Manasa/ Owain Lloyd/Tyrell Barker
7 Josh Parry
8 Johnny Kalavata
9 Jack Mullins
10 Matt Brandon
11 Matt Carroll
12 EJ (Eddie Jones)' Fa'Aofa
13 Toby White
14 Johnny Wilder
15 Emanuel Bell

The Red font was added by SOTG to illustrate those who weren't in the Grand Final XV.

The background to those in Red font:
- Kimmince a TSS/Reds Academy old boy who is in his 3rd year with the Tigers and was on the bench for the 2013 GF;
- James Moore spent the last year or so with the Melbourne Storm U20s;
- Owain Lloyd is a Welsh lad who has moved to Brisbane and was referred to Easts by Jarrad Butler - but he will probably start the season in Reserve grade;
- Greg Riley - Easts stalwart - 80 odd premier grade caps;
- Manasa - formerly with Souths recruited by Moses Rualini;
- Tyrell Butler has been on the fringes for a number of years and held the #6 before Luke Bertini returned to peak fitness in 2013 - probably deserves first crack at the #6 in 2014;
- Parry - is Parry but his sister is doing well for the Australian Women's 7s;
- Johnny K - formerly with Souths recruited by Moses Rualini;
- Matt Carroll - Iona Old Boy and Easts Junior who won't let the side down;
- EJ (Eddie Jones) - from North Qld apparently, recruited through Pat Richards NQ connections;
- Emanuel Bell - was the Capt & #15 of the Villanova side that won the AIC premiership in 2010, and another Easts junior. He joins Greg Riley & Johnny Wilder as Villa Old Boys in the side.

The bolter for a run in the outside backs would be Joel Faulkner who is back after injury affected his 2011-13 seasons - Joel was a former ETS player with the Reds - it is just great to see him back at the club running around. Joel will push hard for a spot but it might be a few weeks away before we see him in Premier Grade.

What do the other clubs Round 1 line-ups look like?

T

Tigers Tale

Yes Filth - he couldn't stay away. He'll be looking forward to the Brothers games.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Michael Bond has signed to play for Canon Eagles in Japan, most likely through Brothers Japan connections, possibly the same club Zane Hilton is at?? Big loss for Brothers

T

Tigers Tale

QLD U20s squad on Reds website - Bros(8), Uni(5), Souths(5), Easts(4), GPS(3), Snbk(2) are all well represented. There is also one Bond Uni player in the squad of 28.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was out of Brisbane last weekend, so I missed the Souths v Wests trial game. Anyone got a short report on the match?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Souths won. It was something like 30something to 10 or around that.
The fullback (muirhead?) was standout on the park for the pies.

Wests reserve grade got the win which was suprising on acct that souths reserve grade was premiers last year.

I think Wests prem colts also had a close game but eventually ended up losing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
don't think he's going to have the time this year. Time for someone else to step up.

Yeah it's time to hand over the reigns to someone else. I would recommend not doing a points start unless you are going to be on top of it every week. Pretty simple to do with Google Docs.

T

Tigers Tale

SX - Muirhead is a very talented footballer.

I think this is his third year in Prems and he was high up the list of try scorers in 2013.

He is one of the reasons why Souths will be dangerous in 2014. They are also very strong at the breakdown.

That score line says to me that Wests were much improved in their second hit out - any chance of knocking off Uni this Saturday?

I'd say it would be a very sweet win given Sef etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.