• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru13

Frank Nicholson (4)
in regards to your men vs boys comment filth including the colts aswell... I think you'll find that bond uni beat brothers colts at the weekend ? I guess these boys got skills.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I always recall GC being strong in the mid 2000s, what happened after that, Crusher? I think they were in about 4 straight finals with even Garrick Morgan at 37 or 39 years of age running on. I even think old Dell had a run around for them.

Ah yes those distant memories and you are quite correct guys like Dell, Chris Latham to name a few have pulled on the Breakers jersey but since 2007 we have been a non starter when it comes to grand final day unless you played for our Prem Colts over the last 4 years. We have lost a number of our promising colts with the advent of academies, state or national, with players often reporting they have to move due to academies being based in Brisbane and coaches telling players if they want higher honours then they need to play for strong brisbane clubs. Not sure if this is accurate but players have mentioned this for years. The other issue has been internal politics between Breakers and local club rugby with a number of handy players opting to play local rugby rather than the Breakers. Even as recent as this year local player Tereina McLean has gone from local club rugby to Sunnybank. Its an issue but maybe with the transition to Bond it will help define a new environment and culture that will assist set a new and more positive course for the club.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
in regards to your men vs boys comment filth including the colts aswell. I think you'll find that bond uni beat brothers colts at the weekend ? I guess these boys got skills.

guru to be fair to Filth it was I that made the comment and it was in relation to the size of the Brothers teams in comparison to the Bond lineups. They were huge in comparison to our guys hence Boys II Men reference

T

Tigers Tale

Granted the tackled player probably spent more time in the air at St Lucia last Saturday but this one of Gunny's against Rod Davies last year is still a favourite. I think everyone except Rod Davies enjoys it!

Davies after the tackle said "I didn't see him coming";
Gunn said "I hid behind the Ref and jumped out at the last moment - I just got lucky"

http://www.eyesonrugby.com/blog/young-michael-gunn-cuts-wallaby-rod-davies-in-two-with-big-tackle

FYI - Michael Gunn injured his knee at the Aust U20s and will be out of action for a month. He'll be right for the JRWC in June, but his timing could not have been worse as he could have well found himself on the Reds bench with the injury to Liam Gill, alongside Pettowa Paraka!!

Was Pettowa only on the bench against the Stormers because Sef was unavailable?

It would be nice to have "the Spud" (aka "Potatoe") back for the Wests game.

T

Tigers Tale

...but maybe with the transition to Bond it will help define a new environment and culture that will assist set a new and more positive course for the club.

Filth we can only hope that Bond Uni turns things around because it is a great pipeline for Tigers I mean Reds of the future!!!

Easts always enjoys the hospitality provided by the Breakers when we've travelled to Broadbeach & now Bond.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Why hasn't Connor Mitchell been playing for Uni? injured?

Back injury- he'll be back in time for the U20s camp, but 20s isn't really a priority for him, so I think he's scratched it, instead planning on focussing on getting a good club season under his belt. What will be left of it anyway.

Schalk Burger

Frank Row (1)
Back injury- he'll be back in time for the U20s camp, but 20s isn't really a priority for him, so I think he's scratched it, instead planning on focussing on getting a good club season under his belt. What will be left of it anyway.

Knowing Conor personally I can assure you the 20's was a real priority and this injury has been devastating for him. He would not scratch it if possible. He was included in the Queensland side and had to withdraw. Not sure he will be ready in time for U20's camp. Will be a few weeks before he can play. I am sure that goes for any kid in the 20's mix that is injured.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Knowing Conor personally I can assure you the 20's was a real priority and this injury has been devastating for him. He would not scratch it if possible. He was included in the Queensland side and had to withdraw. Not sure he will be ready in time for U20's camp. Will be a few weeks before he can play. I am sure that goes for any kid in the 20's mix that is injured.

I'm sure it was, and I didn't mean my post to sound flippant, so much as he was optimistic and moving on. He indicated that if he were to try to be ready for the U20's camp it'd be a huge push.

As for whether he'll make it back in to the Premier side- I have absolutely no doubt he'll be back in there as soon as he's ready. He's a special talent and a great kid and he would be coming close to an automatic selection.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
No, more along the Gill lines- not the biggest hitter in defence (although still very effective) but he seems to get a hell of a lot of pilfered turnovers without giving away many penalties at all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

T

Tigers Tale

No, more along the Gill lines- not the biggest hitter in defence (although still very effective) but he seems to get a hell of a lot of pilfered turnovers without giving away many penalties at all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Nice to see young talent working its way through the system and getting opportunities. Lets hope he can be on the plane to NZ for the JRWC.

How's Harry Parker started the season?

T

Tigers Tale

No Pettowa for the Tigers this week as he's likely to be on the Reds bench again this Saturday, but Sanday and Riley are likely to return for the Sylvan Rd clash.

Possible that Placid may also have his first run for the Tigers this year on Saturday.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I heard placid will find his way to the bench for the reds if turner is out. So you could assume he will be 24th man at worst. Awesome news for him but tigers fans might have to wait another week or so.

T

Tigers Tale

Spot on Red Heavy - that is exactly what the man himself told me last night.

Would be great to see Pettowa and Jonah get onto Suncorp at some stage on Saturday.

Looking at Jonah's body shape I think that in the long term he is probably better suited to #12, he would have that same acceleration off the mark that made Tim Horan so dangerous, and his defence is very good.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting you say that TT as I always wondered if Toua would have been better suited to a life of centres. The lad has an excellent skillset and could of been a 12 of the Lealifano ilk.
Placid I think would be more of a 13, I can only dream of the damage he would running off a 12 with a good offload.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Jonah really has filled out since last year. Has a very strong build on him for his age.

ALSO our Australian under 20's players are... Michael Gunn (Easts), Jonah Placid (Easts), Tom Banks (Uni), Jake McIntyre (Sunnybank), Scott Gale (Uni), Alifeliti Kaitu’u (Souths) and Jack Payne (Brothers)

No Sam Greene??

Status
Not open for further replies.