• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Is this the same common knowledge around the reds and eps squad that easts have previously given some players from the coast fuel money and others premium health insurance?
Before you flood me with responses TT I really don't care.
All this has been covered to death here. "Facts" like those insinuated above and 15 comments a day do nothing but kill the forum.

RH at least my comments are on the money - like the money Easts covered for medical expenses Easts paid for players just before they packed up and went to St Lucia.

The point of my post yesterday was to illustrate that the QRU doesn't want players to be paid to play club Rugby and I was asked last year by someone to show them where in the QRU rules & regs it says same.

A lot of mud has been slung on this forum on this issue and there are clearly some clubs who clearly flout the amateur status of the comp and whilst they might be able to source third parties to make the payments that doesn't make it right.

I for one are very passionate about this issue and would not want my club to be one of those clubs that is clearly not adhering to the amateur principles, and would be amazed if there weren't others out there who felt the same way.

T

Tigers Tale

TT should of saved that Gallopers nugget for the week you play GPS. Would of made the round/rivalry that much more exciting.

No happy to launch this attack on clubs that pay players on the eve of the Wests game because I know Easts & Wests are two clubs who source their players from simply seeking guys that want to pull on the Green or Blue jersey.

It is great that the clubs will play for the Paul Mooney Cup because he was a bastion of when the game was truly amateur. Both clubs would not be where they are today without the work of people like Paul Mooney.

I presume his wife or someone from the Mooney family will be there to present the trophy today which is tremendous.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Bond 40- Sunnybank 32

Well done Bond. You must be happy Crusher and co.

Good to see Cameron Bracewell making a return to rugby for Bond. He was in the picture for the Reds in 2009/2010 before getting a serious back injury.

A Cut and Paste of team lists of Junior Waratahs vs Junior Reds in 2009 is interesting reading.

Curtain Raiser
HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS V QUEENSLAND REDS 2ND XV
Friday 6 March 2009 (Kick-off 5:15pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), 2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood), 3. Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs); 4. Luke Doherty (Manly), 5. Phil Mathers (Eastwood); 6. Ben McCalman (Sydney University), 7. Beau Robinson (Warringah), 8. Lachlan McCaffrey (Eastwood); 9. Jeremy Su'a (Penrith), 10. Harry Bennett (Eastern Suburbs); 11. Damon Anderson (Eastern Suburbs), 12. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood), 13. Matt Carraro (Randwick), 14. Peter Playford (Sydney University); 15. Mark Preston (Gordon). Reserves: 16. Nath Nicol (Gordon), 17. Salesi Manu (Manly), 18. Masalosalo Tutaia (Randwick), 19. Sam Latunipulu (Northern Suburbs), 20. Eddie Bredenhann (Sydney University), 21. Dave Paurini (West Harbour), 22. Michael McDougall (Eastwood).

QUEENSLAND REDS 2ND XV1. Ben Daley (Gold Coast Breakers), 2. James Hanson (University), 3. Jack Kennedy (Souths); 4. Cameron Bracewell (Gold Coast Breakers), 5. Rob Simmons (Sunnybank); 6. Ezra Taylor (University), 7. Andrew Shaw (Brothers), 8. Jake Schatz (Sunnybank); 9. Brendan McKibbin (Brothers), 10. Jono Lance (University); 11. Aidan Toua (Easts), 12. Ben Tapuai (Gold Coast Breakers), 13. Brett Gillespie (Brothers), 14. Albert Vuli Vuli (Souths); 15. Rod Davies (GPS). Reserves: 16. James Charalambous (Easts), 17. James Slipper (Gold Coast Breakers), 18. Martin Perkins (GPS), 19. John Norton (Gold Coast Breakers), 20. Curtis Franks (Easts), 21. John Tabrett (Souths), 22. Billy Ngawini (Gold Coast Breakers), 23. Albert Anae (Sunnybank).

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking at that list. More QLD players went on to be established Super Rugby players.. The names that jump out at me on the NSW Tahs list.. unfortunately I cannot see a name that is currently with the TAHS 1st XV (although a few lads on that list play in either QLD or Western Force)

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What a great come from behind win for the Index Souths Magpies yesterday at Chipsy Wood. Trailing 25-8 at halftime the Magpies had confidence turning with the reliable Yeronga Park breeze behind them for the second half.

Captain and No. 8 James Turner put in an absolute non-stop effort leading from the front and for the second week in a row, prop David Feao was almost unstoppable. There was no better example of the forwards commitment than the push-over scrum try late in the half, which absolutely destroyed the GPS pack. The Souths forwards showed their confidence by opting for the scrum rather than a kickable penalty and it resulted in 7 points rather than 3.

Andy Muirhead at fullback must be one of the most elusive broken play runners of the ball in the Premier competition and deserves more recognition. His support play running off Davey Feao for his try was fantastic.

Souths had two yellow cards during the match so it is even greater testament to their confidence and grit.

Trailing by 1 point and the ref. having called final play, the forwards took control of proceedings and "pick and drove" for quite a number of plays, showing great control at the breakdown, with the hope of drawing a penalty, which fortunately came their way.

There was absolute silence as Georgio Philips put the kick right between the posts.

It will be interesting to see if there is any action taken over an unsavoury incident early in the second half, where just about everyone at the ground (except the match officials) saw an incident of blatant foul play which went unpunished (not even a word spoken to any GPS player). Will have to wait and see.

The Filth are next and like the games against the Tigers and GPS, they are going to be very hard opponents. It would certainly be great to go into the Easter Break undefeated and having beaten three of the 2013 semi-finalists. Here's hoping.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What a great come from behind win for the Index Souths Magpies yesterday at Chipsy Wood. Trailing 25-8 at halftime the Magpies had confidence turning with the reliable Yeronga Park breeze behind them for the second half.

Captain and No. 8 James Turner put in an absolute non-stop effort leading from the front and for the second week in a row, prop David Feao was almost unstoppable. There was no better example of the forwards commitment than the push-over scrum try late in the half, which absolutely destroyed the GPS pack. The Souths forwards showed their confidence by opting for the scrum rather than a kickable penalty and it resulted in 7 points rather than 3.

Andy Muirhead at fullback must be one of the most elusive broken play runners of the ball in the Premier competition and deserves more recognition. His support play running off Davey Feao for his try was fantastic.

Souths had two yellow cards during the match so it is even greater testament to their confidence and grit.

Trailing by 1 point and the ref. having called final play, the forwards took control of proceedings and "pick and drove" for quite a number of plays, showing great control at the breakdown, with the hope of drawing a penalty, which fortunately came their way.

There was absolute silence as Georgio Philips put the kick right between the posts.

It will be interesting to see if there is any action taken over an unsavoury incident early in the second half, where just about everyone at the ground (except the match officials) saw an incident of blatant foul play which went unpunished (not even a word spoken to any GPS player). Will have to wait and see.

The Filth are next and like the games against the Tigers and GPS, they are going to be very hard opponents. It would certainly be great to go into the Easter Break undefeated and having beaten three of the 2013 semi-finalists. Here's hoping.
Is it yours? And if so can we use it?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Souths doing Wests no favour with this year schedule.

This week it's was Easts
Next week it's GPS.

Way to go Magpies for awakening the 2013 Finalist beast making it all the more difficult for the Doggies to get a win the week after you put on underdog victories over EASTS & GPS.

In saying that.. I think the Dogs are in with a red-hot chance at Yoku Rd this Saturday.

T

Tigers Tale

Wow - I thought Wests were great yesterday they were excellent in Prem Colts and their Prems just never stopped competing and deserved 2 bonus points from that game. Well done Wests Sylvan Rd had a different feel to what is has for a few years - they are hungry for success.

GPS will have their hands full at Yoku Rd next week. Anyone who underestimates the 2014 Bulldogs does so at their own peril.

And Bond Uni - awesome result. That puts Sunnybank on the ropes because I recon you might only be able to drop 4/5 games to make the four and that condemns the Dragons to a 0-3 start.

Easts have a lot of improvement to make to ensure they make the semis and if they do the Reds loss last night probably means they'll get back Quirk, Toua & Turner for the finals.

Brad Wilkin might be back on the paddock after Easter - will be interesting to see if he starts off in Prem Colts or comes into Prems straight away - based on how Richards dealt with Gunn/Placid in 2013 probably the former.

Wilkin looked fit doing the runner duties yesterday - he looks well developed for his age probably more solid physically than Gunn was last year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Wow - I thought Wests were great yesterday they were excellent in Prem Colts and their Prems just never stopped competing and deserved 2 bonus points from that game. Well done Wests Sylvan Rd had a different feel to what is has for a few years - they are hungry for success.

Agreed, I thought Wests were quite good.

Easts defiantly look like a team that hasn't played as much together due to players coming in and out due to representative commitments.

That being said, they were the better team, and if it hadn't been for 3 bombed tries in the first half, they would have had a more comfortable win margin. That's not trying to take anything away from Wests, because they were quite determined.

I thought the big turning point was when Matt Brandon made that brilliant covering tackle after a full length break by the Wests player. He had been down injured in back play but tracked across and made a beauty of a tackle, before a turnover was made. Really shut Wests out after that.

Toby White was unstoppable at times. In the first half he made line-breaks at will, and was easily the Tigers best player. Still needs to know when to make the pass, but aside from that, it still bewilders me how he has never gotten higher honours.

For Wests, their full back was impressive. Good boot and a strong running game.

I was also really impressed by young half-back Adam Deck when he came on. It isn't a bad option to bring him at 9 and move Mullins into fullback late in the game to add some energy.

Overall, I think the result was fair. Wests showed they are going to cause a few upsets this year. They may not have the star power the likes of Uni, GPS and Easts, but they sure have a lot of ticker and determination.

Easts will be better for more game time together now that the Reds A and Reds U20's has concluded.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
wests.PNG

First time in how long? Wests top 4!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lets not get ahead of ourselves Filth. Couple of teams below us have already served the bye week & Wests still need to take theirs.

Good to see the Top 3 are undefeated.

Won't be for long though. Souths v Brothers Round 4. Only 1 team is walking away with the undefeated tag. Heavies should take care of Breakers!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed, I thought Wests were quite good.

I thought the big turning point was when Matt Brandon made that brilliant covering tackle after a full length break by the Wests player. He had been down injured in back play but tracked across and made a beauty of a tackle, before a turnover was made. Really shut Wests out after that.

Agreed, Matt Brandon showed a lot of ticker to chase down the winger! Probably lifted the Tigers another level.

But Matt Brandon is the greatest game manager in the sense that after 60m run to stop a go-ahead try.. That's when he started faking his injuries. Truth be told it's probably just stanima & him being absolutely buggered but when Brandon drops to the ground it's about believable as John Cena taking a chairshot to the head. One of Premier Grades finest theatrics.

Banter aside. Thanks for the glowing wraps T12 & TT... Had to listen to a lot of crap earlier on the year about the Doggies being locks for the spoon but not out of the realm that if they keep playing the way they do they could be in the playoff sniff.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond 40- Sunnybank 32
Souths 30- GPS 28
Easts 32- Wests 31
Uni 35- Norths 17

Well done Bond. You must be happy Crusher and co.

Filth still can't stop smiling. The relief on the face of the big fella head coach Tiny Nowlan said it all! In the past the Breakers have struggled to close these games out, home games vs Brothers and Easts spring to mind when both those teams ran us down in the last act of the game to eke out 1 point victories back in 2012. Yesterday there was some fantastic rugby displayed by both sides but whatever Nowlan and his staff said to the team pre game worked a treat as they came out firing. They dominated a lot of the half to lead 20-15 at oranges. They skipped out to a 31-15 and I started to dream about what victory looked like. 34-15 became 34-22 then 34-29 and nightmares of 2012 resurfaced til Cass Walding dotted down for Bond. The Dragons however scored again and at 39-34 it was difficult to concentrate. However Luke Evans who was run on capt for the day stepped up to slot a drop goal to close out a hard fought 42-34 win for Bond. Doesn't get easier next week with a visit to St Lucia to face the Red Heavies

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Lets not get ahead of ourselves Filth. Couple of teams below us have already served the bye week & Wests still need to take theirs.

Good to see the Top 3 are undefeated.

Won't be for long though. Souths v Brothers Round 4. Only 1 team is walking away with the undefeated tag. Heavies should take care of Breakers!
SX Heavies should but people would have said similar about the Dragons. It will be a willing contest in the battle of the Unis

Status
Not open for further replies.