• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Filth I went back to the 2013 forum for these Grand Final & Premiership stats for each club that I did after the 2013 grand final.

Last 20 years GF appearances ; L20 years P/ships; L10 years P/ships
Souths 7;4;0;
Easts 6;4;2;
Canberra 3;3;0
Snbbnk 5;3;3
Uni 3;2;2
Wests 4;1;1
GC 5;1;1
Bros 4;1;1
GPS 2;1;0
S/Coast 1;0;0
Norths 0;0;0

An historical account of Grand Final results can be found at this link:

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/PremierRugby/History/TheHospitalCup.aspx

Unlike the Shute Shield, Hospital Cup success has been tasted by 8 of the existing 9 QPR clubs in the last 20 years. Unfortunately the only club not to have appeared in a Grand Final over this period is Norths and I don't think anyone would begrudge them success if it came their way soon, and it looks based upon the 2014 results to date that Wests & Bond are heading in the right direction.

Norths (formerly Teachers-Norths) last appeared in a grand final in 1981.

Souths last Hospital Cup win was in 2000.

Sunnybank with 3 premierships over the last decade would arguably be the best performed club over the last 10 years.

Souths and Easts have both won 4 premierships in the last 20 years but this 20 year period dates back to only 1994 and does not include Souths premierships in 91, 92 & 93 (which were in addition to their wins in 94,95,98 & 2000).

It also doesn't include Uni's 3 in a row from 1988-90. Nor Brothers 5 in a row from 1980-84.

It is interesting that the Brothers (80-84) and Souths (91-95) streaks were both 5 in a row.

Would anyone be bold enough to suggest which was the better team if we could get these two eras on the same field?

I may not have aligned the years or positions correctly but wouldn't you love to have seen these one on ones:

Handy/D'Arcy v Crowley
Connoly/McBain v Foley/Cannon
Nightingale/McCall v Morgan
Shaw v Sam Scott-Young
Burke v Perrin/Carroll/Robinson/Connors
Lavin v Tait/Johnstone
McLean v John Mulvihill
Moon/Hanley v Little/Horan

I am sure that Filth & Warhorse can help making the comparison of these two great eras for their respective clubs.

I think it is unwise to try to compare different eras in any sport but certainly there would have been some great match-ups across the 80's and the 90's.

I would like to throw in from Souths: Tom Lawton, Rob Lawton, Troy Coker, Barry Lea, Damian Smith, Shane Draham and a guy called Toutai Kefu (who incidentally turns 40yrs old today). How time flys!!

T

Tigers Tale

Warhorse - a few there that I can't believe I forgot to mention particularly Tom & Rob Lawton, Kef.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Speaking of yesteryear legends.

The Tigers haven't had a wallaby for awhile. David Wilson last playing Tiger/Wallaby (yeah sure, sure Mowen & Jeremy Paul... all happened whilst at different Super XV franchises)

I can name a more recent Wallaby aligned with every Brisbane Club during the year they played in the green & gold since David Wilson hung up the boots.

Tigers Tale, who do you think is the next Tigers Wallaby? I'd have to say if Jonah Placid can work on improving his Super XV debut then the future is bright for that man child.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ben Mowen is as close as we get at the moment. A definite Tiger, but we can't claim him as he was in Canberra.

Andrew Walker was a Wallaby, but not when he was playing for Easts.

T

Tigers Tale

Player availability for QPR14 Rnd 4 - can't tell you how or where I got this but it is interesting.

Any players selected on the bench for the Reds on Friday night may be made available for club rugby on Saturday – this will be communicated on an individual basis on Friday evening.

Reds and Reds WTS players AVAILABLE for club rugby:

• Sef Fa’agase (UQ)
  • Pettowa Paraka (Easts)
  • Phil Kite (GPS)
  • Andrew Ready (Easts)
  • Blake Enever (Easts)
  • Tim Buchanan (UQ)
  • Sam Johnson (GPS)
  • Veresa Mataitini (Norths)
  • Kimami Sitauti (Brothers)
  • Nigel Ah Wong (Sunnybank)
  • Jonah Placid (Easts)
Therefore if what we read in the courier-mail today about Quirk being dropped for Browining is correct - then Quirkie could well be available to play for the tigers on Saturday in addition to the four named above. Coach Richards will be pleased to have these guys all available.

Regardless the Eagles always seem to cause the Tigers a bit of trouble at Bottomley - last year it was well into second half before the tigers got home and in 2011 the last placed Eagles knocked off the Tigers which ultimately cost Easts a spot in the finals.

So the Tigers should not be underestimating the Eagles this Saturday, whoever runs out for them.

Gee Sunnybank with the bye - what odds could you have got for them to be winless at Easter, and Souths/Brothers to be undefeated at Easter - at the start of the season?

QPR14 - Round 4
Easts v Norths
GPS v Wests
Souths v Brothers
UNI v Bond Uni
Sunnybank v Bye

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I thought Jonah had a injury? Any details on that?

And I doubt Quirkie would play club rugby. I think letting him have a rest will be more beneficial. But I'd bet my bottom dollar he'll be down at Bottomely, great club man. He's been the clubs best water boy for a while now! Haha

T

Tigers Tale

SX - I'd have to say our next Wallaby would be Gunn, Paraka or Placid but I would in fact put Gunn ahead of Placid but I think he will have to go to another Franchise to make it.

Look Saturday wasn't the best debut for Jonah - but he'll learn from it.

I think he will appreciate that defence at fullback is very different from defending at #11/13/14. People shouldn't forget that he's still only 18 years old, but it was an amazing 3 minutes for him the other night.

Paraka is only turning 21 this year which is incredibly young in prop terms and he's only been playing Rugby since grade 10 at the TSS. He has incredible handling skills which seems to be important in this day and age for a front rower.

With the advent of Super rugby it is going to be less likely that a current Wallaby will play for his club and country in the same year for e.g. when is the last time Horwill, Genia, Cooper played for their club? And even fringe Wallabies like Gill, Ant Faing, Hanson. Harris played a half dozen or so games for Uni last year which was great - he is a very talented footballer.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What are the two QLD NRC Squads going to look like?

Purely for discussion purposes I have compiled these lists - they are not intended to be complete or informative lists as I am not aware of every contender at the various clubs and I have tried to leave aside my Easts allegiances for once. Nor am I aware of what basis they will set the eligibility criteria for each side.

You will see once you put all the players from the various Reds squads in the mix that doesn't leave a hell of a lot of vacancies for the club toiler.

Brisbane
Player Position Squad Club
Pettowa Paraka 1 Prop WTS EAS
James Hanson 2 Hooker Reds UNI
Jono Owen 3 Prop Reds UNI
David McDuling 4 Lock Reds UNI
Ed O'Donoghue 5 Lock Reds WES
Eddie Quirk 6 Flanker Reds EAS
Michael Gunn 7 Flanker AUS U20s EAS
Curtis Browning 8 Flanker Reds UNI
Nick Frisby 9 Scrumhalf Reds GPS
Michael Harris 10 Inside Centre Reds UNI
Dom Shipperley 11 Wing Reds BROS
Ben Tapuai 12 Centre Reds SNB
Samuela Kerevi 13 Outside Centre ETS GPS
Lachie Turner 14 Wing Reds EAS
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi 15 Fullback Reds UNI
Sef Fa’agase R1 Prop WTS UNI
Alifeleti Kaitu'u R2 Hooker AUS U20s SOU
Kirwan Sanday R3 Prop QPR EAS
R4 Lock ???
R5 Lock ???
Adam Korczyk R6 Backrower QLD U20 UNI
Conor Mitchell R7 Backrower QLD U20 UNI
Jono Ellis R8 Backrower ??? GPS
Jack Mullins R9 Scrumhalf QPR EAS
Nigel Genia R9A Scrumhalf WTS WES
Sam Greene R10 Flyhalf WTS BROS
Nigel Ah Wong R11 Wing WTS SNB
Sam Johnson R12 Centre WTS GPS
Toby White R13 Outside Centre QPR EAS
Tom Banks R14 Wing AUS U20s UNI
Andy Muirhead R15 Fullback ??? SOU

Wallabies alligned to Brisbane
James Horwill 5 Lock Reds UNI
Liam Gill 7 Flanker Reds SNB
Jake Schatz 8 No. 8 Reds SNB
Quade Cooper 10 Flyhalf Reds SOU

QLD Country
Player Position Squad Club
Ben Daley 1 Prop Reds BOND
Albert Anae 2 Hooker Reds SOU
Greg Holmes 3 Prop Reds SNB
Blake Enever 4 Lock ETS EAS
Jack Payne 5 Lock AUS U20s BROS
6 Backrower ???
Beau Robinson 7 Flanker Reds SOU
Tim Buchanan 8 WTS UNI
Ben Lucas 9 Flyhalf Reds SNB
Jake McIntyre 10 Flyhalf AUS U20s SNB
Rod Davies 11 Wing Reds UNI
Anthony Fainga'a 12 Centre Reds GPS
Chris Feauai-Sautia 13 Outside Centre Reds SOU
Chris Kuridrani 14 Wing ETS GPS
Aidan Toua 15 Fullback Reds EAS
R1 Prop ???
Andrew Ready R2 Hooker WTS EAS
Phil Kite R3 Prop WTS GPS
Sam Fattal R4 Lock Qld U20 EAS
R5 Lock ???
Lolo Fakaosilea R6 Backrower Qld U20 SNB
Digger McMillian R7 Backrower Qld U20 BOND
R8 Backrower ???
Scott Gale R9 Scrumhalf AUS U20s UNI
R10 Flyhalf ???
Veresa Mataitini R11 Wing WTS NOR
UJ Seuteni R12 Inside Centre WTS EAS
Kimami Sitauti R13 Outside Centre WTS BROS
R14 Wing ???
Jonah Placid R15 Fullback AUS U20s EAS

Wallabies alligned to Country
James Slipper 1 Prop Reds BOND
Saia Fainga'a 2 Hooker Reds GPS
Rob Simmons 5 Lock Reds SNB
Will Genia 9 Scrumhalf Reds ???

Other QLD U20s not included above

Props: Markus Vanzati (Souths); Aaron Pleash (University of Queensland); Tom Moloney (Brothers); Ben Tarr (Souths); Dylan Sikameti (GPS)

Hookers: Francois Postal (Brothers)

Locks: Terrin Walls (Brothers)

Backrow:; Joe Wrampling (Sunnybank); David Findlay-Henaway (Souths)

Halfbacks: Adam Deck (Easts); James Tuttle (GPS)

Flyhalves: Patrick James (Brothers)

Centres: Levi Aumua (GPS); Giles Beveridge (Brothers); Nigel Tanuvasa (Souths)

Outside Backs: Gareth Kalell (University of Queensland); Isaiah Mosese (Brothers)

Just thought that I would mention that young Qld U20's prop, Ben Tarr from Souths has been selected to represent the USA in the U20's RWC. Congratulations to Ben!!

T

Tigers Tale

T12 the QRU don't have Jonah down on their injured player list so lets hope he can get back on the horse by pulling on the Easts #15 this Saturday.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyway back on to the actual thread topic of Qld premier rugby 3

Does anyone know why Phil kite didn't start for GPS on the weekend?

Also @Jets are Sunnybank waiting on any players to
Come back from injury? Or is it just a new team building combinations?

T

Tigers Tale

Qld Reds team for Brumbies game up on the reds website.

Good news for Ed Quirk as he retains his starting spot - maybe water boy on Saturday??

Looking at the Reds bench Uni would have most to gain if the reserves turn out on Saturday - which I hope they do.

Will Albert pull on a Magpie or Dragons jersey or will he sit it out?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Player availability for QPR14 Rnd 4 - can't tell you how or where I got this but it is interesting.

Any players selected on the bench for the Reds on Friday night may be made available for club rugby on Saturday – this will be communicated on an individual basis on Friday evening.

Reds and Reds WTS players AVAILABLE for club rugby:

• Sef Fa’agase (UQ)
  • Pettowa Paraka (Easts)
  • Phil Kite (GPS)
  • Andrew Ready (Easts)
  • Blake Enever (Easts)
  • Tim Buchanan (UQ)
  • Sam Johnson (GPS)
  • Veresa Mataitini (Norths)
  • Kimami Sitauti (Brothers)
  • Nigel Ah Wong (Sunnybank)
  • Jonah Placid (Easts)
Therefore if what we read in the courier-mail today about Quirk being dropped for Browining is correct - then Quirkie could well be available to play for the tigers on Saturday in addition to the four named above. Coach Richards will be pleased to have these guys all available.

Regardless the Eagles always seem to cause the Tigers a bit of trouble at Bottomley - last year it was well into second half before the tigers got home and in 2011 the last placed Eagles knocked off the Tigers which ultimately cost Easts a spot in the finals.

So the Tigers should not be underestimating the Eagles this Saturday, whoever runs out for them.

Gee Sunnybank with the bye - what odds could you have got for them to be winless at Easter, and Souths/Brothers to be undefeated at Easter - at the start of the season?

QPR14 - Round 4
Easts v Norths
GPS v Wests
Souths v Brothers
UNI v Bond Uni
Sunnybank v Bye

I'm glad Nigel is free this weekend as the Dragon's are more of a chance of coming up trumps against the bye.

Been a difficult start to the season at Sunnybank. The team wasn't great against Brothers but were close, played well against Uni but faded towards the end. Probably a bit soft last weekend. Taking nothing away from Bond who showed some great handling skills.

A few weeks to work on fixing up what is required before our next game against Souths after Easter.

Could be a long year at Sunnybank if things don't change.

T

Tigers Tale

.......but when Brandon drops to the ground it's about believable as John Cena taking a chairshot to the head. One of Premier Grades finest theatrics.

SX - I know you are just having a dig at the Old Boy - Brandon but I think his injury breaks last week were genuine as he's out injured this week. Mullins has been moved to #10, Deck to #9 and Placid comes into the side @ #15.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jets, you should probably get young Fats to run it a bit more. That bloke would give you nightmares for weeks after running at you.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@FilthRugby what are your thoughts for Brothers weekend matchup?
Can we expect to see your young stars in Moloney, Situati, Payne and Greene line up?
If so I reckon Brothers are in with a real shout and I am a little upset I won't be at Chippsy Wood to see what will an epic encounter.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can anyone tell me what has happened to young Souths prop Sam Denny this year? He made an appearance for QLD against the B&I Lions last year. I haven't seen his name in Souths Prem Grade lineup yet this year. Is he injured?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Can anyone tell me what has happened to young Souths prop Sam Denny this year? He made an appearance for QLD against the B&I Lions last year. I haven't seen his name in Souths Prem Grade lineup yet this year. Is he injured?

Was thinking this the other day, any of our Souths posters care to fill us in?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Was thinking this the other day, any of our Souths posters care to fill us in?

Hi Pauly and tigerland12
Sam Denny, a great young prop has retired. As a new father and an electrician, Sam has called it quits (for at least this year). What the future holds for Sam in the way of playing rugby, is up to him and his family.

I am sure that everyone at Souths would love to see him play on in the future but we fully support his decision and are extremely grateful for his great contribution to the Souths Magpies from Juniors, Colts and Grades.

Sam played 101 grade games for Souths and I believe that 100 of those were in Premier Grade and capped off his career with the appearance for the Reds v British and Irish Lions.

T

Tigers Tale

TD - surely they are injured unless Matho has sent them back to Reggies?

Simon Craig the Easts Reserve grade coach would be thrilled if that was the case!!

Status
Not open for further replies.