• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
SX/TD were Wests a bit off their best or were Snbk just outstanding? They will be tough to beat in two weeks Easts have really struggled with the Dragons until 2 wins in 2013.

Sunnybank were clinical in open play & counter attack.

Poor defense lets the bulldogs down & when one of those nifty little backs would break a tackle they'd have eager banker teammates in supports.

I don't believe there was one FWD try but i may be wrong (because there was a lot of them)

& the score could of been closer had the dogs not bombed their own counter attacking & open play.

Back to the drawing board for the dogs,

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I wasn't at Yoku Rd today but both side would rather 3 points (draw + 4t BP) than a loss.

SX/TD were Wests a bit off their best or were Snbk just outstanding? They will be tough to beat in two weeks Easts have really struggled with the Dragons until 2 wins in 2013.
Will give a bit of a report tonight, but Easts would be the happier with 3pts then GPS. Thought GPS were the better side, but lots of turnover ball.

That being said, a very entertaining game infront of a huge crowd at Yoku.

S

saulih

I don't believe there was one FWD try but i may be wrong (because there was a lot of them)

LHP - Hirsimaki was quite proud of his first try for the bank.

Earlier in the year I seemed to recall a online streaming website hosting video of the Brisbane Premier games, that was mentioned in the forums. I searched for the link but could not find it. Anyone know about it. I would love to watch some of the games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Qru are streaming a game a week it would seem. Started yesterday with souths v bond. Also apparently doing live radio streaming of another game, with Griffith Uni. They did GPS v Easts yesterday. I will let you know more when I hear as they've asked me to be their sideline eye every know and again.

S

saulih

I think was more like a paid subscription thing. Maybe I misunderstood.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS backline yesterday didn't seem to click well and a player such as Brandon should have exploited that but he made quite a few uncharacteristic errors as well.

Zangari on the wing was a very strange choice as whenever he got into open space he knew he didn't have the pace to pin his ears back, hence a lot of counter-attacks broke down. Kerevi had a good first starting game back, taking 2-3 defenders with him each run, as I said earlier in the week I won't be surprised if hes given a game for the Reds in the next couple of weeks.

It was a great day down at Yoku as well, I think only one GPS team had a loss so good results on Ladies Day for the club.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers v Norths

Apart from a poor first five minutes which resulted in a try to Norths, Brothers controlled the game considerably well. The first try to Brothers was through Luke Beauchamp who charged down a clearance kick to score. As mentioned, Norths got the first try of the afternoon through the halfback who made a dart to the line 22m out. Apart from that one try, the half finished with Brothers on top 20-10. The second half only got worse for Norths with constant turnovers resulting in the Brethren throwing the ball out wide to either Gendle or Knox who inturn passed along to their respective wingers. Sam Greene did well to control the game, especially through his kicking. However, the best back for Brothers was Dave Campbell, his passing game and control was spot on. Brothers finished the game with a few tries out-wide, however, the score line didn't reflect Norths effort as they did play some decent footy in patches.

Norths have some flare in the team. At one stage, (even though I was far away from the game) Norths made considerable metres with the Brethren on the back foot and incredibly short on players out-wide, however the Norths forwards decided to pick and drive. If the ball went through two or three pair of hands they would have easily scored. The front-row is incredibly gutsy for Norths. I thought they were dominated by their opponents in Suisala, Mafi and Bennie, however, Norths should hold onto them. The 2nd row pairing is the one of biggest I've seen. #4 and#5 are giants and made plenty of metres. Overall, Norths just need a bit more structure and consistency, because the talent is there.

Brothers played very well in my opinion. As mentioned the outside backs were excellent. Mosese and Beveridge were great on both wings. Symes, Beauchamp and Carter were excellent in the forwards. In my opinion, if they play that well, they should give Easts a real run.

Good day out at Hugh Courtney Oval, recommendation for any away team, bring a jumper (or two) the hill was bloody freezing, but it's a good ground to watch footy from.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth the day I look forward to more than any on the rugby calendar is only 5 sleeps away.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth do you have any predictions as to how Saturday will pan out? Where will you have the edge over the Tigers?

Long time since you started such hot favourites v Easts.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Fuck me I froze to death. Shorts were a bad option.

For years people took the piss out of me for taking warm blankets and spare jackets to a sunny game. I noted the particularly mean ones and rebuffed them when they inevitably came looking to suck up to me between 4:15 and 4:30. ;)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just a quick look at the GPS vs Easts game at Yoku.

Firstly, the crowd and atmosphere was amazing. The ladies day set up looked great, the bar on the far side of the field was packed as was the grand stand. As much as I hate GPS, they sure know how to put on a good afternoon. Those burgers smelled amazing, just a shame I left my wallet in the car, which co-incidently was parked a mile away. Being the crafty fucker I am, I thought, yep get there an hour early to get a good park and spot to watch from....yeah that plan didn't work. The place was packed even for Reserve Grade.

On to the game, both teams were throwing everything at each other, and for the neutral it would have been a fantastic game to watch. But if you were a diehard Easts or GPS fan, you'd be pulling your hair out at the amount of turnover balls in opposition 22.

The Tigers defence is incredible, especially inside their own 22m. However Brandon-Seuteni-White found themselves being carved up in the wider channels. There must of been a lack of communication, because normally the mid-field for Easts is solid.

While on UJ, he looked good in attack, but his defence left a lot to be desired. Several missed tackles and poor defensive reads. First game back though, he looked relatively solid.

The other boy back from injury, Kerevi for GPS, looked great with ball in hand and defensive, without being too destructive. Although his neat off-load for a try was impressive.

Very back and forth, with the lead changing several times, the Tigers bench was emptied to great impact. Barker and Olsen in the back row really upped the energy levels when both sides were really fading after such a high tempo contest.

In the end, a very entertaining game, and although you could say 3pts each is a fair result, I'd say the GPS side would feel like they lost that one. The really should have put Easts away on a few occasions, but let them hit back.

For GPS, I thought their mid-field was very good. Sam Johnson looks like a good prospect, and his combination with Kerevi was very solid. Up front, the GPS front-row dominated. I can't recall any tightheads, but they had the Easts scrum back-peddling on several occasions.

For Easts, Andrew Ready had his best game in a long time. Tackled and ran like a man possessed, now if only he could learn to throw a line-out and we'd be onto something. Speaking of the line-out, again Easts were very strong in this department, with Enever and Fattal stealing/disrupting plenty of ball.

Enever continues to dominate at this level. You have to wonder what the Reds plans are for him, because if he continues to play this way, looking elsewhere for opportunities may be his best option.

Finally, never thought I'd say this, but, Matt Brandon and Jack Mullins both had absolute howlers. Quite possibly the worst games I've seen either play. Poor passing being the theme of the day for both of them, and Brandon struggling in his defensive channel. I was surprised Deck wasn't introduced to half-back earlier than he was.

Great day, great atmosphere, great game....fucking SHITE icy crappy windy weather.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
And how do you think Easts will go this weekend? ^

Hard to tell, we've been a bit hot and cold lately. We aren't playing poorly by any means, but just not quite clicking at the moment, and it is hard to really put my finger on why we aren't.

I think ball handling is a bit of an issue, as well as an inconsistent scrum. However our line-out has been awesome, and Toby White has been running amok out wide, so those are key area's Brothers will be weary of.

I honestly cannot call the result of this weekend, all I hope is for a warmer afternoon than last week!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In other games, University v GPS. Can't stand both of them! haha. Undoubtedly the two most disliked teams of Queensland Rugby, but should be a cracker. I think University will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.