• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Jets you would know a bit about that with your involvement with Sunnybank.

T

Tigers Tale

If the Reds aren't already doing enough to spoil one's weekend, now it looks like they'll take Gunny away from the Tigers this weekend.

Surely in terms of Gunny's Aust U20s chances/preparation (he has been selected as a shadow player) it would be better for him to play 40-60 minutes for Easts on Saturday and then sit on the bench for the Reds on Sunday - but I'd say if the Reds want him on the bench then he won't be playing at Crosby on Saturday.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also I'm just stirring. Never understood why he didn't continue with Aust Schoolboys. Seemed to be doing a good job with them.

T

Tigers Tale

Before you all shout me down as putting Easts interests before all else - guilty - I appreciate that Gunny would love a 5/10 minute debut at Suncorp v Richie McCaw, what I am saying is what is the best for Gunny physically given he hasn't played since the Reds A final v Argentina (Rnd 1 of QPR).

Would be wonderful if both Kerevi & Gunn got chances against the Crusaders - would say a lot about the standard of QPR and the pathway it presents for those who are good enough.

This is in addition to JJ & Jonah earlier in the season.

And just to put forward another Tiger's case - if the Reds concede that the season is done and they want to give some of these young guys a go then why play Ed O'Donaghue ahead of McDurling or Enever?

Gunn is no certainty to get on the bench in any event, because if they play Simmons @ 6, O'Donaghue @ 4 and Robinson @ 7, this leaves Browning & McDurling for the bench as back row cover.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets - so was I. Just sticking the boot in on Sunnybank a week ahead from what is going to be a massive game at Bottomley on Saturday week.

But Pat is a good coach as are a number of QPR coaches (e.g. Heenan, Arnold, Matho, Michael Broad, Tim Sampson, etc) but there doesn't seem to be the same pathway for coaches as there is for players from QPR to Reds.

Would love to see these guys given involvement with the two NRC sides but I doubt they will be given a chance once Stiles, Meehan, Corossa, Wilkin, etc are assigned roles.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth you will find that Easts will look something like this, depending on Gunn's availability.

1 Sam Richards
2 Andrew Ready
3 Kirwan Sanday
4 Sam Fattal
5 Blake Enever
6 Joshua Parry
7 Michael Gunn
8 Greg Riley
9 Jack Mullins
10 Matt Brandon
11 Johnny Wilder
12 UJ Seuteni
13 Toby White
14 Tony Bartley
15 Andrew Krelle

T

Tigers Tale

Filth there is only one former Breaker in this Easts side - Tony Bartley who is also a BSHS old boy, so we count him as one that got away (to the GC) in any event.

One former Brother player & Nudgee OB in Kirwan Sanday but likewise he was one that got away in that he played his junior rugby at Bottomley.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Filth there is only one former Breaker in this Easts side - Tony Bartley who is also a BSHS old boy, so we count him as one that got away (to the GC) in any event.

One former Brother player & Nudgee OB in Kirwan Sanday but likewise he was one that got away in that he played his junior rugby at Bottomley.
Bartley was awesome for Reserve Grade last week. Matty Carroll has been solid, but I think Tony adds a bit more spark.

T

Tigers Tale

The Referee for the Crosby game tomorrow is Simon Moore - interesting!!!

It will make the win even MORE enjoyable!!!

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog & Cat_A - how do you rate GPS chances v UNI in the MOTR?

Should be a great game - at this stage Uni look very good but I don't think that the chasing pack - Bros, GPS, Snbk - are far off them.

Would make the table look very interesting if GPS and Easts get the wins tomorrow.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think McDuling will be a massive out for Uni - when he plays the whole forward pack plays better. I also don't think Easts did Uni any favours by stealing the draw on the weekend because I'd think GPS would be hurting after that one. I am glad to see a fair few players return after the break (we had a lot of players unavailable for the Easts game which probably affected Reserve more so than Prems).

I've always enjoyed the Uni v GPS games, probably more than any other - I'm talking way back in the Herbert-Flanagan(?) v Crackers-Flanagan battles in the centres of the early 00s - big boys who just loved belting each other. There seems to be less of the niggle, chat and referee-questioning and more actual rugby. Games are always incredibly hard, physical and fair contests.

From where I'm sitting the table will look extremely interesting if Brothers and Uni get up.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Going to be a very tough game. I think GPS are still struggling without their 2013 forward of the year, Ryan Freney at the moment, maybe not so much in the scrums but his work around the field is unmatched. However, the Gallopers will be happy that Kerevi wasn't taken by the Reds as he will only get better with more game time.

Uni at home are always hard to beat in front of a packed grand stand and to be honest I can't pick a winner but it will be close.

T

Tigers Tale

Is the Halley Appleby Cup up for grabs or is that only played for at Yoku Rd.

I think everyone involved with QPR remembers where they were that afternoon when that tragic news come through from Yoku Rd.

Fitting that the Cup has been struck in memory of a man who be all accounts was much loved by everyone he came into contact with.

We should all give a thought up to heaven for Halley at the kick off of whatever game you attend tomorrow in respect of Halley, his family, friends and the UQRFC.

A man taken far too soon in life doing what he loved.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think the cup is only up for grabs at Yoku Rd. His photo and jersey are up inside the Uni clubhouse for all to see and toast to.

T

Tigers Tale

There is a bit of commotion over on the NRC forum about Asic and the design of the NRC jerseys.

This is what I think they should go with:

I think the Brisbane City team could wear this old Parramatta number - Asics would just have to get them out of the closet and they are in the Bne City colours - Blue & Gold - perfect. Also perfect for the number of Easts Tigers who'll be in the side.

images

Or maybe they could go with this Parra alternative strip

images

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gunn isn't playing for Qld, so he will probably play tomorrow, right TT? If so, the Freney v Gunn battle will come into play. I personally rate Freney very highly, his workload and ball carrying is second to none.

On to GPS v University. I'm tipping Jeeps in a close one. I think missing McDuling, will make the difference. Jeeps backline will also play a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.