• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Gunn is ready to fire!!

But I think Uni will be too good for GPS at home. It is a very tough place to go to and win.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just looking at the Premier Rugby Table.
If Easts lose without achieving a bonus point. And Wests, GPS and Sunnybank win with a bonus point. It will make it very tough for Easts for make the finals (if they then lose to Sunnybank the next week).

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - of all people in Brisbane I am probably the most aware of the situation the Tigers find themselves in - given the numbers I posted on this forum a few weeks back about how many losses you can afford to have and still make the semis.

Tomorrow is massive but as Sunnybank has shown if you can string some wins together the whole complexion of the season can change very quickly.

If Easts can win this weekend and next they could jump from 6th currently to 2nd after round 9 and a spot in the Welsby Cup Final.

So don't write the Tigers off just yet.

But all things being said and done Brothers start as very firm favourites tomorrow!!!

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Well, GPS were on the end a shellacking at Uni today which I (and seemingly every other spectator) just didn't see coming. Looked like a terrible day at the office for GPS where everything that could go wrong did and the more anyone tried the more it went bad. Not taking anything away from a very good performance from Uni, though.

My thoughts are with the spectator from Wests who (from tweets) had a heart attack from the game. I hope they, the team and the other spectators are ok.

T

Tigers Tale

That sound awful for the Wests spectator - lets hope all goes well there.

Filth - too good today Easts had their chances and gifted Greene that try, sums up the Easts season to date in it all the way just no chocolates. Will be tough from here but the Easts boys will stay firm they are on 4 points out of the 4 as will be Wests if they had a BP win at Bond.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
50-10 uni up over gps
Gps scored after 5 min and where never in it after that. Uni forwards muscled up once again and gave the backs some very good front foot ball which they welcomed with open arms.

The Aussie 20's must have some very good people in the back 3 this year as Tom banks (who missed out) looked a level above everyone out there today which was capped off when he ran around kervi for his second try of the day.

Not all good news for uni though as jack de gauingand had to leave the field early in the 1st half (after already scoring a double) with a suspected broken wrist. The 7 has been close to Unis best all year but it does pave the way for Conor Mitchell's pending return.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's 2010 all over again with University killing everyone. I leave my Premiership predictions for the Heavies once they play Brothers in two rounds.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Will do a write up on Brothers vs Easts soon, but the Filth were the better team, and the Tigers are becoming very frustrating.

Also Michael Gunn, wow. Was the best player on the park by a mile in his first Easts game this season. Such a talent, how he missed the Aus u20's I'll never know.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
At least Gunn got to play for QLD u20's guys like Alex Perez,Chazz Mahina,Jake Newell,Matt Gordon,Keegan Sefton,Preston Springhall,Luke everson, all got dropped from the QLD squad before they even had a trial or were not even in the training squad.Qld could have done a bit better at the 20's trials with some of these guys as they are all killing it for there prem teams.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
At least Gunn got to play for QLD u20's guys like Alex Perez,Chazz Mahina,Jake Newell,Matt Gordon,Keegan Sefton,Preston Springhall,Luke everson, all got dropped from the QLD squad before they even had a trial or were not even in the training squad.Qld could have done a bit better at the 20's trials with some of these guys as they are all killing it for there prem teams.

Speaking of this, how many colts eligible or 1st year out of colts players are currently playing premier grade consistently this year?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Would be interested to know which QLD 20's players you feel those mentioned should have been selected over?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I only made the 2nd half of the Bros v Easts game. Pretty good game.

Easts scrum got absolutely rolled by Brothers and Jack Mullins must be absolutely filthy with his forwards with the amount of fractured ball out of the back of the scrum.

Gunn was excellent for Easts and I conquer with T-12 remarks about being the best player on the field. Its safe to say he is the difference between Easts competing or not, same with Toby White.

Sam Greene easily, easily won the battle over Easts' #10. Easts have some tall-timber in the lineout, which they used well. Jack Mullins played well, same with Josh Parry.

Best players;

Filth: Greeney, Mafi, Bennie, Maui, Suisala, Carter and Beauchamp.
Easts: Mullins, Gunn (MOTM), Parry, Number 8.

Overall, a solid win, Easts will struggle if the Bankers beat them, (which they most likely will). They just need to get back to Bottomley Park amongst all the lunatic Easts supporters and true believers (TT)!

T

Tigers Tale

I only made the 2nd half of the Bros v Easts game. Pretty good game.

Easts scrum got absolutely rolled by Brothers and Jack Mullins must be absolutely filthy with his forwards with the amount of fractured ball out of the back of the scrum.

Gunn was excellent for Easts and I conquer with T-12 remarks about being the best player on the field. Its safe to say he is the difference between Easts competing or not, same with Toby White.

Sam Greene easily, easily won the battle over Easts' #10. Easts have some tall-timber in the lineout, which they used well. Jack Mullins played well, same with Josh Parry.

Best players;

Filth: Greeney, Mafi, Bennie, Maui, Suisala, Carter and Beauchamp.
Easts: Mullins, Gunn (MOTM), Parry, Number 8.

Overall, a solid win, Easts will struggle if the Bankers beat them, (which they most likely will). They just need to get back to Bottomley Park amongst all the lunatic Easts supporters and true believers (TT)!

Filth that was James Moore not Parry who fell ill over night before the game.

Gunn is currently a shadow player for Aust U20s and just needs to get games into him and could still make it to NZ.

Look Bros probably deserve the win as Easts had their chances. Will be interesting to see what transpired in the lead up to the Greene try on the video but regardless that won't change the result.

T

Tigers Tale

Why a fit Jonah Placid restricted to water boy duties by Aust U20s is beyond me wouldn't it be better prep for JRWC to be playing games and getting match fitness? I go as far to say that if Jonah played for Easts on Saturday and the result would have been different but I also saw that Murphy was on the bench for the Filth so they could have done with his class as well.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
TT by saying that Brothers "probably" deserved the win it sounds like there was some controversial play or calls that went against Easts.
Any further details?

And when you said that had Jonah played, Easts would likely have won, it sounds like you saw some weaknesses that Jonah would've definitely exploited. Where were the weaknesses as you saw them?

Agree the lack of availability of U20 players is a punish - I'm with you - game time is what has been lacking in our Aus U20s for three or four years now. But Jonah was actually out with a knee problem, so it may not have been an ARU edict as much as an injury-out.

T

Tigers Tale

Cat_A

1. Some Brothers spectators & a high ranking Brothers player told me that they were of the opinion that there was a Brothers knock on in the lead up to Greene try.

2. There was probably a chance that one/two of the Referee's scrum penalties could have gone the other way at the death;

3. As for Jonah it was just a difference in class between Jonah and Andrew Krelle (Easts #15) who was found wanting on a few occasions.

I think that Easts could do well to consider UJ back @ #15 and EJ (Eddie Jones) to #12 for this weekend.

Look at the end of the day it was a bounce of the ball type match with not much between the two sides and Brothers get 4 points & Easts 1 but Brothers probably deep down know they got away with one on Saturday.

Easts now have had 4 games where they could have got the win but failed to do so for one reason or another - Souths, Uni, GPS & Bros, but the fact is that they haven't been good enough on those occasions so no use crying over spilt milk they just need to live on the edge of finals extinction in 2014 which makes this weekend a must win scenario.

They will probably have to win all bar one of the following games this year Sunnbank(H), Souths(A), Uni(A), GPS(H), Bros(H), Suunybank(A) which will be a tall order.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Big turn out at Crosby Park for the Brothers Ladies Day against Easts. Despite the overcast weather, the surrounds of the field was packed.

As much as I hate Brothers, I cannot help but like the viewing set up. Great ground to watch the footy from. I set up shop on the hill, where I fortunately found myself amongst East supporters, meaning I didn't have to tone down my vocals.

Meanwhile, the Brothers Colt Corner was met by a rowdy (and obviously drunk) group of travelling Easts supporters. The noise generated from both these groups was unreal. Great to see such vocal support for a Premier Rugby game.

For the game itself, it was a pretty standard Brothers vs Easts rivalry. Some agro early on, with Sam Fattal lucky to stay on the field after unloading a few right hooks.

Easts adopted a kick based game, and surprisingly Brandon did not feature as much in this as you'd expect. UJ and Krelle did a lot of kicking, and for the most part, did it quite well.

It was fairly even at the breakdown, with a lot of physicality in defence. The game was set apart by the back-lines. Brothers back three was pretty devastating on the counter, and Sam Greene ran the show perfectly, whilst Easts struggled to get momentum, and too often looked flat in attack.

Two of Brothers tries were very opportunistic, which says something about Easts alertness, because it was very similar against GPS last week. Greene's try was a prime example, as there was a turnover, yet no Tigers defender covered at fullback, allowing for the kick-chase try.

The Tigers scrum was decimated by the Filth towards the end, which was to be expected with Parakka and Kimmance out of the side.

Overall, Brothers were the deserved winners, and Easts really have to look at their consistency. I would argue they are just as good as the competition front runners at the moment, yet they are not putting in the all round performances they need, with way too many handling errors.

For Brothers, Sam Greene was my stand out. He looks very calm at 10, and his kicking game is outstanding. Really runs the show well for his age.

Others that impressed were Luke Beauchamp, who has seriously bulked up since last year, the tighthead prop and Pierce Fitzgerald.

For Easts, Michael Gunn was in a league of his own. Everything he did was a class above. He tackled like a machine, ran aggressively, was effective at the breakdown, and his last try was just a show of how talented he is. I cannot back this kid enough, he really has some serious talent and I hope the Reds are paying attention.

Andrew Ready continued from his good game last week, while James Moore and Manasa Rokosuka were very effective in the contact area.

UJ Seuteni looked very good second game back. He is running hard, kicking well and ball playing very effectively. He does however need to work on this "shoot defence" he tends to do. Fair enough you put pressure on the ball player, but too often he misses the tackle.

All in all, frustrating to see the Tigers lose, but another entertaining Ladies Day infront of a packed crowd.

All I ask is for that Brothers supporter who yells out "AND AGAIN BROTHERS!" every two seconds to shut up. After a while all you can hear is "SJFJNFKSJFNKJSN BROTHERS!".

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
UQ have announced that their games this weekend will be played at Kenmore Jnrs due to a double booking? Good initiative, but wow - parking will be fun.

at least it is against Souths - they will be used to it.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Paraka and Kimmance need to get back quick smart. Sunnybank have a deadly scrum. The push-over will be on 5 metres out.

2. There was probably a chance that one/two of the Referee's scrum penalties could have gone the other way at the death;TT

I will respectfully disagree with you on this TT. If anything the referee was lenient towards Easts.

Status
Not open for further replies.