• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Filth - hold onto your chair - I agree with you.

Tigers are gone in terms of finals but may provide some nuisance value but only if they lift their game - they are a long way off the top four and Souths.

I know it was a loss but Souths getting within 1 of Uni is a massive result for them - well done Magpies.quote]

Referees rob you again did they Tigers Tale?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Didn't actually catch the Premier game at Yoku on the weekend but a good result for the Gallopers, it was a needed win to bounce back after their effort the previous week.

Filth - is depth a problem at Brothers this year? I'd think it would have been a while since the entire club got swept, only a couple of teams managed to pick up consolation bonus points as well. Compared to previous years I also think GPS depth below reggies is lacking a bit but may be wrong.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Every Qld red should turn out for their respective club this week.

No ifs or buts... Unless you're injured then you get your mojo back in clubland

If the fringe wallabies looking to make the squad want to use the injury risk as a excuse to miss clubland then tahs their parogative

But Richard Graham should be demanding every contracted player to get their form back in club rugby. I'll be utterly disappointed if players are posting getaway weekend pictures on Instagram!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'll give a wrap up of the Brethren V GPS game today or tomorrow morning.

TBD, I think you're right, depth in the forwards could be an issue!

As with SX post, Brothers are in a tough position. University will get 6 Reds players back, Sunnybank 6 or 7, Brothers 1!

I'm sure Brothers will keep going, considering there are players in the team who should have (had) representatives honours.

T

Tigers Tale

SX - do you think EdO"Donaghue will be available for the Bulldogs this Saturday?

T

Tigers Tale

SX - didn't think of the incident in the Bulldogs context - interesting.

He will have to get something at the Judiciary otherwise it would make Steve Walsh look like a goose and validate Horwill's comment as fact, which means they surely couldn't possibly then fine Horwill.

Horwill another Bulldog product!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thoughts on Brothers v GPS game

Brothers stared the game well, spreading the ball wide and making big metres up the field, however, they just couldn't execute to score points. First try went to GPS#3, who just barged over the line after a strong few minutes by GPS. After two Sam Greene penalty kicks, the score was 6-5 to Brothers after 15 minutes of play. GPS were next to score through #11 in the corner, which was matched by Brothers winger, Isiah Mosese, leaving the score at oranges, 17-11 to GPS.

Second Half saw Brothers score first through a penalty try after repeated scrum infringements and a great drive by the Brothers pigs. Sam Greene converted in front, the scoreboard, 18-17. Unfortunately, things went pear shaped for the Brethren after that with continual dropped ball giving GPS crucial possession right in the Brothers half. Three tries then followed giving GPS a comfortable lead of 34-18. Brothers caught up with 5 to go through number 8 Luke Beauchamp darting to the line, but the game was all be over.

Lineouts;

An area were Brothers need to work on. GPS were a bit better.

Scrums;

Brothers completely demolished GPS at scrum time. Which didn't highlight how good the GPS front-rowers were around the field, they were excellent in general play.
Credit to Ben Suisala, Matt Mafi and Adam Bennie. the 2nd week in a row they have been superb.

Best players;

Brothers; (front-row), James Carter, Luke Beauchamp, Harry Symes and Clynton Knox.

GPS: (Front-row), 4, 5, 13, 9
A special mention to GPS #13, he was the MOM in my eyes. closely followed by #9 and #4.

Overall, the game was close, irrespective of the scoreboard. Brothers did give it a go, they played well, but some silly mistakes cost them on Saturday. I'm sure they will work on and improve it, because they are a very good team.

Overall, looking forward to the University game. It should be close.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Filth - hold onto your chair - I agree with you.

Tigers are gone in terms of finals but may provide some nuisance value but only if they lift their game - they are a long way off the top four and Souths.

I know it was a loss but Souths getting within 1 of Uni is a massive result for them - well done Magpies.

They will have to improve a hell of a lot even to get over Bond this weekend.

Something is missing - whether that is desire/premiership hang over but quite simply the sides they have run out in 2014 have just not been as good as their opponents.

For mine it will be a Uni v Snbk GF - Snbk were very good yesterday but Uni probably have them covered in th forwards.
TT they lost a lot of players at the end of last season. It is not easy to bring a team together and gel, like they did last year, in one season. It will take time to rebuild.

T

Tigers Tale

TT they lost a lot of players at the end of last season. It is not easy to bring a team together and gel, like they did last year, in one season. It will take time to rebuild.

Fair point 27 - the side that won in 2013 was building from 2011.

You never know they might not be done if things come together in a hurry and they can secured 4 wins on the trot and then face the big 4.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Clearly Moore, Gunn & Riley is the best formation because I think Manasa Rok needs to get fitter so he stays in the game for longer periods.

My point is that if Gunn is not available then Parry is the next best #7 on the club by a long way.

The Easts Prem reserve backrow has been going really well. I would like to see Milosevic given a crack at the Prem Grade 7 if Gunn is unavailable instead of Parry.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Only gill, Albert, ed o'd, kuridrani and dules available from the reds this week for their respective clubs. A little sad as I know of a few heavies that were keen and no doubt that would be the same across all the clubs

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only gill, Albert, ed o'd, kuridrani and dules available from the reds this week for their respective clubs. A little sad as I know of a few heavies that were keen and no doubt that would be the same across all the clubs

Why?

This is so sad... There is nothing to play for this year. Every Red back in clubland would of reinvigorated interest in the grassroots supporters base of qld rugby.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Why?

This is so sad. There is nothing to play for this year. Every Red back in clubland would of reinvigorated interest in the grassroots supporters base of qld rugby.

Agree that it's disappointing, but I think there are a few reasons from the the Reds' perspective
  • managing workload of some players - those that have been playing 60min and up for weeks and travelling extensively especially
  • minimise the risk of injury in positions where the Reds are already wafer thin (backs especially)
  • letting those who are currently held together with strapping tape and padding to let some injuries heal - Instagram has pics of Mike Harris' nose job, for example.
I'd like to see all Reds players watching their clubs play rugby this weekend though - giving back to clubs, especially when the Reds are playing terrible rugby - should be a priority. It would be a terrible look to see players taking happy holiday snaps while their club team was playing.

EDIT: Buggered if I know why Frisby isn't available - he surely plays the least rugby of any fit player in Queensland!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Red Heavy, it's obvious Uni will be in the finals. What would the team be if no injuries occur? (and consider the reds coming back).
It would be very hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.