• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Welcome Paty305, the majority of this forum is Tigers Tale and myself throwing atrocious Brothers v Easts chat. Hopefully we can continue to hear about events occurring over at Hugh Courtney Oval. TrainerGB does a great job keeping us informed.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fairly sure with Sunny Coast being removed from the Premier Comp it meant Genia had to find a new club, although I doubt he would have thought he'd be playing for them so soon! I'm guessing either Norths or Wests.

EDIT: To the above comment regarding going 'back' to Wests. I thought someone mentioned on here a while back that Will has never actually had any association with the Bulldogs. His clubs went GPS, Norths, Manly (under the Sunny Coast banner). Which makes me think he'd be with Norths.
From what I understand he has GPS down as his club again this year which would make for an interesting situation if both Will and Fris were available to play over the next couple of weeks!

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
From what I understand he has GPS down as his club again this year which would make for an interesting situation if both Will and Fris were available to play over the next couple of weeks!

I believe wests is down at his club. Will has played for the dogs previously and was down at wests for colts before moving to GPS

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Mr Genia has Wests listed as his club this season.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for us) he hasn't been released to play this weekend. Neither has big Ed.
Only a handful of Reds have been released to their clubs this weekend, with the majority of them taking some time off.
Looking at the list, hopefully they stay away next weekend as well otherwise Norths will be playing the U-QLD Reds at St Lucia.... :S
I wonder if we can get the game transferred to Suncorp or Ballymore??

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the last thing Genia needs is a break from rugby. He played a good game against the Highlanders and needs to continue that by putting in a dominant performance against club teams to prove he's still world class.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Regarding the Roma trip - a massive amount of credit and thanks must be given to the Brothers club and Matt Kaye for making this happen.
A lot of effort has gone in to this and Norths are very thankful for the opportunity to be a part of this unique experience.
It has certainly created a buzz around the club and is a "carrot" for fringe Prem players, due to us needing to take a full bench to Roma.
Well done Brothers and we are looking forward to another battle, this time in neutral territory.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I heard this morning that a small number of GPS supporters received a weeks ban after the Brothers game at Yoku Rd.

Apparently after a beer throwing incident involving Sam Greene or Damon Murphy! (apparently when running past the Glue Factory when playing)

The Big Dog has been quiet. would be you by any chance, haha?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haha Filth it wasn't me, I swear!

I didn't actually see any incidents but have heard about what you're referring to. Not sure how many occurrences or the severity but it didn't sound too bad, I think there was beer being sprayed from the glue factory. Obviously nothing the club would condone but it didn't sound malicious.

Heather

Bob McCowan (2)
I spent years standing on that side at GPS, and (most times) enjoyed the one-eyed banter that emanated from there...

Just wondering though - exactly how far can beer be sprayed if the boundary is the prerequisite 5m from the sidelines, as I believe that the rules state it should be?

I must admit that there are a lot of fields that don't abide by this rule, Uni included. I would think that it is the mainly due to geographical issues, like the track at Uni preventing the 5m from being enforced. This flows into a pet hate of mine - the encroaching of players and equipment so close to the sidelines that I end up tripping over feet / eskys / water bottles if I am focused on the game and not what is lying in wait. My other concern is player landing on the aforementioned objects if tackled over the sidelines. And yes - the Uni boys have incurred my wrath on a frequent basis over this!

In other news - the Uni lights on 5A are currently being upgraded! I am told that they will be the brightest in Brisbane behind Suncorp & Ballymore - and legally bright enough to hold night games in the future.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's probably harder to find a ground that does have 5m between the sidelines and the fence.

Also even from a plastic cup beer can be sprayed a considerable distance. Not a great look though if they are directing it at players. Would be cause to eject people from the ground in my view.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
From the naked eye the gap between the glue factory and field would be considerably less than 5m. As Jets said it doesn't take much anyway to get beer, especially in a can, to fly a few meters through the air.

As I said earlier, from what I understand the incident in question was dealt with and in my experience it is a one off problem, its certainly not something the club has needed to deal with on multiple occasions.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Heather, you mentioned the lights upgrade for field 5A, was that specifically for the rugby or for other purposes such as track and field?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Heather, you mentioned the lights upgrade for field 5A, was that specifically for the rugby or for other purposes such as track and field?

I suspect Premier Soccer (football, whatever) has been the driving force - I've seen the influence and political savvy of Football Quuensland at play at other venues to get funding for upgrades.

I'm sure the official reason, however, is to increase the revenue generating potential that would come hiring out a facility for higher profile sporting events, richer hirers (eg corporate games), and international sporting teams wishing to train or compete in recorded/televised games in the evening. Rugby might be a beneficiary, but it's just as likely for televised athletics meets, soccer, corporate hires and the lead up to theComm games on the GC in a few years. There are thousands of users of the facility each week across a huge range of sports.

mathew thushker

Bob McCowan (2)
News that on July 5th, the Brothers vs Norths grudge match will be hosted by the Roma Rugby Club, with the curtain raiser being the Darling Downs A Grade match between Roma Echidnas and USQ Saints.

Here is the release from North Brisbane Rugby Union:

"Exciting news with the Round 15 Premier rugby local derby between Brothers and Norths being announced that the game will be played in Roma.

The game to be played on Saturday 5th of July at Bassett Park, Roma and will be Brothers "home game".

Brothers have put in a huge amount of work to make this happen and have worked closely with the QRU, Roma rugby, Roma Council and major sponsor Murphy pipe and civil, Avmin Air Charters.

Maranoa Regional Council Mayor Rob Loughnan backed the big game and said this was a great opportunity for the people of Roma to witness rugby at its best, and in the process help raise funds for the local Echidna Rugby Club.
“South West Queensland doesn’t often get a chance to see a live game of this calibre being played in front of them, and I think it will also go some way in enhancing the relationship between regional and metropolitan rugby,“ Mayor Loughnan said.

It is set to be a massive day with several lunches and functions organised, a crowd of between 4000 and 5000 is expected on the day.

The Premier team will fly to Roma on the Saturday morning and will return later that night after the post game function.

Information on a supporters trip will be available shortly"

This is a great opportunity for Rugby to show its worth in the Downs and hopefully could lead to regular matches in regional areas. Maybe even a Country side or two in Premier Rugby.
This is a great idea, and well done Brothers and Norths. Wouldn't be great if every team(Bond Uni maybe excluded) took a game to the country area every year. I know Wests have got quite a few Toowoomba boys, maybe they should consider going up there once a year for a game.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
@ filth rugby can you tell your mob to take it easy on Bond this week! It seems like Bond have a habit of coming up against top sides who have had a few setbacks and use the game as a confidence booster to reignite their seasons. Easts had a few losses and got back on the podium after their clash and as it pains me to say I can see the Brethren doing the same this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.