• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Bob McCowan (2)
Filth- UQ Sport are currently investing in massive upgrades across the fields over the next year or so. Hockey is getting a synthetic turf/ smaller grandstands and much better dressing shed facilities etc. Another 2 fields in this area are getting a makeover, the tennis centre and pool have already had their lights upgraded. That's the ones I know about!
A major driving force is the fact UQ has dropped out of the Top 50 universities in the world, so they initiated a review of all facilities and departments- and this is the outcome. It will also be all done by the Comm Games - apparently last time Uni hosted 3 countries and want that opportunity again.
But as Cat has eloquently put it- the potential revenue raising is significant. For us it would be interesting to see if QRU would consider a Premier Grade night game next year. Certainly it could raise the idea of an NRC round being held there- with a bit of planning it may be cheaper than opening up Ballymore?
However at the moment I would be happy with the lights coming on by second half, instead of the candlelight we've finished in last 2 games! We have been told that issue will be sorted for our next game against Norths.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Crusher, I honestly think Gold Coast don't have to worry too much. Brothers are having an ordinary spell at the moment, it happens, just not at St Lucia.

T

Tigers Tale

I'll be backing your boys Crusher.

It would be great to see Bond Uni knock off the Filth!!! It would help the Tigers.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kind of wish the Gallopers didn't have a bye this weekend, the team has been on a roll lately and hopefully it doesn't upset momentum.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
I suspect Premier Soccer (football, whatever) has been the driving force - I've seen the influence and political savvy of Football Quuensland at play at other venues to get funding for upgrades.

The ARU also required/asked clubs to do a lighting audit last year. I know at Gators we're talking to Council about upgrading ours so we can continue to host international touring clubs.

The lighting audit may have been enough for UQRU to make a good case for the upgrade too.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
The lighting audit may have been enough for UQRU to make a good case for the upgrade too.

It wasn't... @Heather's post has the most comprehensive reasoning. The rugby club had no (or very limited at best) input - there is a huge overhaul of all UQ Sport facilities going on.

This would be geared towards increasing UQ's profile, revenue and position among the world's top universities. While the Club and the Uni are on excellent terms, from UQ Sport's perspective, rugby is just one of more than 10 sports (off the top of my head) that compete on the level equivalent to Premier Rugby.

In other words, the club is quite a small player in the grand scheme of the decision making process.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Mullins is a solid enough defender, however good enough to play 13?

13 is a lynchpin position when it comes to defence, its not really a position for pretenders.

Is this a matter of not wanting to drop Mullins? or is he genuinely the best option?

Also what happened to Toby White?(I love watching that guy)

T

Tigers Tale

Toby White is injured.

Matt Carroll did a good job v Bond at last start but Mullins will get the job done. Brandon and UJ will have to stand up and get the boys home.

I will be most interested to see the work Gunn in concert with Wilkin do at the breakdown.

I think Souths have beaten Easts at the breakdown of recent times (at South last year and at Bottomley in Rnd 2) but Gunn did not played in those games.

Please tell me Filth that you are tipping the Magpies it will make me sleep better tonight.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I will be most interested to see the work Gunn in concert with Wilkin do at the breakdown.

I think Souths have beaten Easts at the breakdown of recent times (at South last year and at Bottomley in Rnd 2) but Gunn did not played in those games.
Really looking forward to watching the progress of Wilkin. First time I saw him play was U/11'S or 12'S for Redlands. Have seen plenty of him at club, school and junior rep level since and he has massive potential. Him and Gunn together is probably worth crossing the bridge to watch.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Crusher, I honestly think Gold Coast don't have to worry too much. Brothers are having an ordinary spell at the moment, it happens, just not at St Lucia.

Well Filth take heart from the fact Bond are not travelling that flash either and most teams have been using them as a rebound mechanism, just might help get your season on track. I hear they have some injuries to key personnel and with what appears to be little depth they will struggle.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
He is obviously a bit too small for the position, T12. But he has plenty of heart, so I think he might go alright.

Agree with you Filth, he chops well and he would relish taking on Nigel Tanuvasa and cutting him down to size. Mullins at 13 obviously limits their attacking options but he will do a job for the side and is a reliable Mr Fix it

T

Tigers Tale

Ironingman - lets hope that Gunn & Wilkin spearhead an Easts victory tomorrow - Headline "Young Guns do it for the Tigers".

Ironingman would you happen to have links to both Villanova and Iona?

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ironingman - lets hope that Gunn & Wilkin spearhead an Easts victory tomorrow - Headline "Young Guns do it for the Tigers".

Ironingman would you happen to have links to both Villanova and Iona?
I am a very old filth boy TT. Raised a family in the Redlands and had alot of involvement with the Mudcrabs via my boys. Redlands have been a strong feeder club to Easts over the years and the likes of Quirk, Carroll and Wilkin are good examples of Redlands players following the pathway via Easts. Great to see how well they are doing as not only are they wonderful rugby players they are also great young blokes and I am sure you would agree add to the already strong and proud Tigers culture.

T

Tigers Tale

Haven't had much to do with Quirk or Wilkin but Carroll seems like a very good bloke and from what I know of the other two they seem likewise.

Happy to have the pathway from the Mudcrabs to the Tigers. In fact did Nigel Holt make that same transition.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If Easts lose this weekend, then surely that's the season nearly over, TT? With Brothers and Souths in your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.