• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The young gun colts halfback you speak of is most likely James 'Bobby' Tuttle who is playing 10 for Prem Colts at the moment, I think he was an Aussie Schoolboy player in 2013. Fairly handy player but i'd be expecting the first GPS colts to move up to Prem Grade to be Campbell Magnay the center, apparently he's been killing since he started playing a few weeks ago.

Magnay was an Aussie Schoolboy as well, both just graduated from Nudgee. Are their any recent MCA old boys playing in the premier colts? I heard Henry Devine was playing at 12.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Great to see UJ and Kerevi back starting after injury.

UJ was huge for the tigers in the finals last year, if really hope it doesn't take him long to get back to that form.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Filth did you notice who is sitting on the bottom of the 2nd table with no points?

The performance of the lower grades at Easts must be a real concern for the Board. This isn't just something of a 2014 phenominum this goes back a number of seasons. Prem Reserves are currently sitting in the top 4 for the first time in about 4 years.

My theory on the slide in the Easts lower grades is that Easts have had reducing colts numbers and then found it tough to get those colts players down when they are 20 and 21. About 6 years Easts had 4 colts teams and 6 grades teams with spares to cover injuries during the year.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I notice Jake Lyon is starting for Souths in Premier grade.
That makes the second 2013 schoolboy to play Premiers, by my count.
(Along with Mitch Third)

Or have I missed anyone ? I don't think Lolo Fakaosilea played before U20s duty ?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nathan Russell came off the bench on the weekend for uni.
Moses sorivi played in the trials and I assume he has had some time off the bench at some point but can't remember

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
RugbyReg - Marco has been great for the club this year, brings a great sense of professionalism to the team and is one of the loudest and most aggressive players I've seen in a while. I think we have the Smith twins to thank for sending him our way.[/quote]

he was pretty anonymous in th canberra comp last year, maybe he has lifted to the standard.

loud was certainly a fair descriptor though.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Marco has provided the GPS pack with an older aggressive type presence that they were missing for a few years. They always had the guys like Ferguson and Donaldson who were experienced club toilers but the rest of the forwards are fairly young (21-25yrs old). Marco has provided a good voice on the field to get the forwards rolling and ease the pressure off Captains Kite and Ellis who aren't as vocal as others.

Will be a tough game this weekend against Easts. Lots of new faces in the GPS backline and as TT pointed out not a whole lot of Tigers left from 2013 GF either. Supposed to be a nice day but also very windy but hopefully both sides keep ball in hand!

T

Tigers Tale

Some clubs might get reinforcements from the Reds reserves in tomorrow's QPR Round 6 - depending on what game time they get tonight and barring injury within the squad it is likely that Daley, Owen, O'Donaghue, Frisby, Lucas & JJ will be on early flights from Auckland tomorrow and front for their clubs in the afternoon.

Big Dog - that would resolve your halfback issue. Mullins will relish another opportunity to test himself against a classy & smart #9 in Frisby. I actually saw and overheard what Frisby said to Mullins after the grand final - it is no wonder why Frisby is so highly regarded at the Reds because as well as being a great footballer that discussion led me to believe that he is a very decent human being, all be it with a quirky sense of humour so I am informed.

It is not often that I wrap opposition players on this forum but Frisby and Campbell are a credit to their respective clubs. These guys are not just good half backs but they are good footballers and leaders - no wonder that their clubs generally have success when they are on the paddock. Easts may well front both of them over the next two rounds.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
In answer to the big dog. Tom Christie was from Sunnybank he came down from Warwick, about 4 years ago 1stXV HB for Scots PGC and has been playing at Sunnybank but shifted to Jeeps this year to get some quality game time. He has a great pass and is a good HB. Good likable young man.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Owen and JJ don't have a game in the afternoon to rush home for TT.

Also, not sure why I was singled out in your naming post - I'm sure each club has their own naming system for teams, and if that's how you refer to them at Easts, that's great. But for consistency - and so we can be clear on what team we are referring to relative to the comp - I'm going to continue to use the competition naming structure that the QRU has gone with this year.

I have also been involved with club rugby long enough to remember the olden days of 1st-5th grade, colts 1-4 etc. and please be assured that I like the current naming system as much as you do - not much.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In answer to the big dog. Tom Christie was from Sunnybank he came down from Warwick, about 4 years ago 1stXV HB for Scots PGC and has been playing at Sunnybank but shifted to Jeeps this year to get some quality game time. He has a great pass and is a good HB. Good likable young man.

Thumbs Christie is relishing he chance at Jeeps from all reports. He moved to Brisbane in 2007, lived in my house for a bit, and has been a great Club man at Sunnybank. He moved to GPS after realising he was down the list of 9's at the bank and due to living at BGS.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some clubs might get reinforcements from the Reds reserves in tomorrow's QPR Round 6 - depending on what game time they get tonight and barring injury within the squad it is likely that Daley, Owen, O'Donaghue, Frisby, Lucas & JJ will be on early flights from Auckland tomorrow and front for their clubs in the afternoon.

Big Dog - that would resolve your halfback issue. Mullins will relish another opportunity to test himself against a classy & smart #9 in Frisby. I actually saw and overheard what Frisby said to Mullins after the grand final - it is no wonder why Frisby is so highly regarded at the Reds because as well as being a great footballer that discussion led me to believe that he is a very decent human being, all be it with a quirky sense of humour so I am informed.

It is not often that I wrap opposition players on this forum but Frisby and Campbell are a credit to their respective clubs. These guys are not just good half backs but they are good footballers and leaders - no wonder that their clubs generally have success when they are on the paddock. Easts may well front both of them over the next two rounds.

The whole Frisby family are a fantastic clan. He comes from great stock.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm tipping GPS this week (I'm the apparent kiss of death for Easts with the tipping). Bros to be too strong for Norths, Souths to win against Bond and the Bank over Doggies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Looking at the table and I think your F/A will come to the fore at the end of the Season ,TT. Souths 4th are -24 whilst Easts are 5th with +11 and GPS 3rd with +51. Obviously bonus points will be the biggest decider, though I'm rather adamant that a close finish for fourth spot will occur.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm disappointed you're not coming to Norths V Brothers at Hugh Courtney Oval today, TT. Always a good battle- The north-side derby!

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Easts 26 drew GPS 26
Souths 29 d Bond Uni 22
Sunnybank 61 d Wests 17
Brothers 39 d Norths 15

T

Tigers Tale

Easts 26 drew GPS 26
Souths 29 d Bond Uni 22
Sunnybank 61 d Wests 17
Brothers 39 d Norths 15

I wasn't at Yoku Rd today but both side would rather 3 points (draw + 4t BP) than a loss.

SX/TD were Wests a bit off their best or were Snbk just outstanding? They will be tough to beat in two weeks Easts have really struggled with the Dragons until 2 wins in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.