• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Tigers Tale is jealous of Sam Greene. TT knows the Matt Brandon window is fast approaching and soon it will be shut.

It's been a great innings by Brandon. lifting championships, goal scoring records etc... had a stint with the Force and played professionally in Japan.

No idea what happens next down at Tigerland... But flyhalf is such a important position in rugby.. think of how many close games you would of lost TT without the assurance of Brandon goalscoring accuracy.

Brothers are set at the position for the next 10 years.. my prediction is Sam Greene will be playing elsewhere, outside of Queensland in next couple of years.

T

Tigers Tale

Like him or not as a rugby player - funnily enough I actually fall into the former category - Sam Greene would have to be the most mentioned player on the QPR forum for the last two and a bit years.

He certainly polarises opinion.

SX just think if he had stayed at Wests they would certainly be winning some of those games in which they are coming close. Imagine if you had a Smith (#9) & Greene combination at Wests - it would have to be considered one of the best in the comp.

I do think Greene took the easy option by joining Brothers, I would have more respect for him if he had stayed at Wests and helped them climb the table.

I know that players change clubs in this day and age but I still think in QPR there is the potential for guys to be loyal to a club throughout their entire careers.

I am well aware that Brandon is closer to the end of his career than the start and that Easts need a succession plan.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't care which club Greene plays for. He is a superb #10, a genuine talent and a future star of our game. If QLD let him slip out of their system they are fools. Meanwhile he'll continue to develop behind that Brothers pack so let's enjoy his skills while he's still playing Prems. Good luck to him.

I recall a season or two ago his Mum was also mentioned regularly on this forum.

Samking

Stan Wickham (3)
Tigers Tail, That almost happend so I heard the Smith 9 and Greene combo this year as brothers tried very hard to get Smith down to Crosby.
Potentially could see it next year.
Best 9 and 10 in the comp some might argue.?

T

Tigers Tale

Tigers Tail, That almost happend so I heard the Smith 9 and Greene combo this year as brothers tried very hard to get Smith down to Crosby.
Potentially could see it next year.
Best 9 and 10 in the comp some might argue.?

Interesting given Bros last decent half back - David Campbell - was also a Wests Old Boy.

bluewhiteblue

Frank Row (1)
Sam Greene! What a talent. Get rid of richard graham...there's the problem! Shit coach, keeping the good players away. McIntyre, for me is third choice flyhalf atm. I would look at dagleish before McIntyre! Sam Greene would definitely be my first choice. Best kicker going round, the first thing I look at before even considering there actual game. If you make a mistake Greene will punish you for it, great counter attack. Very good distributer that can definitely put a good try on himself also. Difference between a Greene and JOC (James O'Connor)- an outside back can play at a high level at a young age. Playmakers mature later. Totally different positions. Greene for reds 2016, frisby to 9. Take a look university v brothers this weekend. Greene v dagleish.

T

Tigers Tale

Sam Greene! What a talent. Get rid of richard graham.there's the problem! Shit coach, keeping the good players away. McIntyre, for me is third choice flyhalf atm. I would look at dagleish before McIntyre! Sam Greene would definitely be my first choice. Best kicker going round, the first thing I look at before even considering there actual game. If you make a mistake Greene will punish you for it, great counter attack. Very good distributer that can definitely put a good try on himself also. Difference between a Greene and JOC (James O'Connor)- an outside back can play at a high level at a young age. Playmakers mature later. Totally different positions. Greene for reds 2016, frisby to 9. Take a look university v brothers this weekend. Greene v dagleish.

BWB - interesting name Nudgee & Bros by any chance?

Unfortunately Dalgleish is at the U20s camp and I thought they are all unavailable to their clubs until after the JRWC.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
How good is it that we have all these good young fly-halves in the comp.
Tuttle, Stefano, Duncan P, third, McIntyre, Dalgilsh, Greene, Gibson, Tela, taumata, turner

Last year I rated McIntyre as the best of the young brigade (just) but after seeing how far Jmmy Dalgilsh has come and by the sounds of things Greene as well the nrc spots will be hotly contested in 2015 which is what every body wants.

As TT said the 20's are off now until a week or 2 before finals.

T

Tigers Tale

Anyone got any views on the current make up of the Sunnybank side- strengths/weaknesses?

Clearly if you make mistakes in your own half McIntyre will punish you through score board pressure.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
How good is it that we have all these good young fly-halves in the comp.
Tuttle, Stefano, Duncan P, third, McIntyre, Dalgilsh, Greene, Gibson, Tela, taumata, turner

Majority of those blokes would be playing for professional contracts as well, which creates an interesting situation for QRU selectors. It's almost like throwing at a dart board as being young fellas it can sometimes be hard to gauge how much upside they have or whether they've hit their peak.

For example in the backrow department I think Reds HQ misjudged a bit and should have grabbed McMahon rather than holding onto Quirk. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm prepared to see a few of those flyhalves making waves outside QLD in the years to come.

T

Tigers Tale

Who makes these calls at the Reds?

The Coaches - Graham (formerly McKenzie) & Stiles?
The CEO -Jim Carmichael?
(Not as silly as it sounds as he controls the cheque book)
Sam Cordingley?
Paul Corozza?
(he seems to have a big say in who they pick from school through to U20s)

We obviously can't keep them all but the list of guys leaving Qld unidentified/not given a go and then succeeding at another Australian Franchise is endless.

I think it all started with the Brumbies - Brett Robinson, David Giffin, etc

In these two situations - Robinson(by Wilson) and Giffin(by Eales & Morgan) - they had to leave because their paths were blocked.

That's just the thing with the introduction of the Brumbies, Force & Rebels it gives guy opportunities that in the pre Super Rugby days they just wouldn't have got.

Good luck to those who take the punt and look elsewhere for an opportunity.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed... plenty of talent and you cant blame them if they look elsewhere.

Even the best in the state has looked elsewhere and is leaving....

Becoming a bit of a log jam for 10s coming up, which is great!!

But it goes back to my original point...
we have all this talent yet we have the 2nd best #9 pulling on the #10 jersey each week. Doesn't make sense to me. How many QPR games has RG actually watched I wonder?

They signed Duncan P, as a #10, but obviously don't have the confidence in him to give him a shot?

Who makes these signing decisions. They need to look 'down' at a pretty amazing comp with some awesome talent rather than 'out' at other markets.

I'd even prefer to see JOC (James O'Connor) in 10 and get Kuridrani back on the field as much as possible.

Back row is another type of issue for the Reds also.
Hendrix Tui is now in the mix with his leg injury just about healed. So you have a Japanese international there, a Former All Black (Reds player of the season so far!), a couple of Wallabies as well of PLENTY of local talent.

Obviously injuries play a part.... but they seem to have overspent on some postions instead of looking at the KEY positions and ensuring they are covered i.e. #10

Gill
Shatz
Browning
Quirk
Robinson
Thompson
Tui
Korcyzk
Fakaosilea

Then Gunn is on the doorstep as well

REDS - check out QPR, it might surprise you!!!!

Looks like a wet track for the games this weekend.

Dragons to beat Tigers in a low point, very tight affair.
Bond to head away from Yoku Rd with 4 points.
Magpies to fly just above the Bulldogs - Very close one this one.
Filth to bash the Students. I think this will a great game. Brothers have a physicality about them this year which is gorgeous to watch.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
Agreed. plenty of talent and you cant blame them if they look elsewhere.

Even the best in the state has looked elsewhere and is leaving..

Becoming a bit of a log jam for 10s coming up, which is great!!

But it goes back to my original point.
we have all this talent yet we have the 2nd best #9 pulling on the #10 jersey each week. Doesn't make sense to me. How many QPR games has RG actually watched I wonder?

They signed Duncan P, as a #10, but obviously don't have the confidence in him to give him a shot?

Who makes these signing decisions. They need to look 'down' at a pretty amazing comp with some awesome talent rather than 'out' at other markets.

I'd even prefer to see JOC (James O'Connor) in 10 and get Kuridrani back on the field as much as possible.

Back row is another type of issue for the Reds also.
Hendrix Tui is now in the mix with his leg injury just about healed. So you have a Japanese international there, a Former All Black (Reds player of the season so far!), a couple of Wallabies as well of PLENTY of local talent.

Obviously injuries play a part.. but they seem to have overspent on some postions instead of looking at the KEY positions and ensuring they are covered i.e. #10

Gill
Shatz
Browning
Quirk
Robinson
Thompson
Tui
Korcyzk
Fakaosilea

Then Gunn is on the doorstep as well

REDS - check out QPR, it might surprise you!!!!

Looks like a wet track for the games this weekend.

Dragons to beat Tigers in a low point, very tight affair.
Bond to head away from Yoku Rd with 4 points.
Magpies to fly just above the Bulldogs - Very close one this one.
Filth to bash the Students. I think this will a great game. Brothers have a physicality about them this year which is gorgeous to watch.

I agree wholeheartedly TGB. What have the Reds got lose by trialling one of these young guys out? I did hear a few years back though when Brandon played a couple of games with the force and was then dropped before the player he was replacing returned from injury, that after an uncontracted player plays x number of games (I think it might be 3) for a super franchise they have to be offered a full contract. This may be part of the reason they are playing Frisby, however I'm pretty sure this rule was before the EPS contracts were introduced. Surely trialling Greene, or one of the other young 10s for that matter, at the next level and seeing how they handle the step up is worth the cost of an EPS contract. I can't imagine they're worth a great deal financially to the players but could be invaluable if it means getting a shot to prove themself at the professional level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I believe the rule still stands. 3 games and you get a proper professional contract. It's cost a lot of teams a lot of money over recent years.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Everyone should start from 0 at the start of the season then. Must play 3 games to get a full time contract.
Efforts might increase then? haha
What about Quade and Karmichael? Have they played 3 games between them this year?? :D

OR lower the base rate, and increase the incentives, wins, game mins etc.
De-centives for missed tackles, penalties and cards haha. Would save the QRU a lot of $$ this season!!

Anyway, back to your regular scheduled program....

Glad my Eagles have the bye this weekend.
We really need it and with this weather looking like being a pest, it will be a good weekend to stay indoors and watch the Notebook.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am pretty sure the Reds offer fringe players in the wider training squad short 2-3 week contracts when they are needed. This may be way around the 3 game rule or just a cost effect way to deal with them before they hit the 3 game mark, I am unsure.

I think the qpr is still providing the path way needed. Of the 6 kids signed today 5 had their names forged in the local Comp.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Looks like only the three premier games will be going ahead this weekend at Uni with all other colts and grades games to be postponed.

Really disappointing as Uni v brothers Is our biggest game and money earner of the year. Hopefully a good crowd still shows up for the main event and then stays after the old boys game from prems.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is it a bit pre-mature to be postponing games? Its only 3pm on Thursday. I know the rain is supposed to settle in but still, early call!

I know GPS will be doing whatever the opposite of a rain dance is to get maximum games played on Saturday due to Ladies Day. If Ladies Day does go ahead it will be a sight to be behold, 500 ladies in heels sloshing around in the wet.

BigDogs Tip: If Uggboots are 'fashionable' so are gumboots! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.