• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Should see no more illegal restarts like the cock-up last Saturday. It has come to my attention that all QRRA referees have this week been issued the following edict.
‘Under Law 12.5(b) a team awarded a Penalty Try MUST be afforded the opportunity to realign to receive the restart. If they are clearly wasting time with celebrations, ask that they return to play without delay. Referees must be proactive in managing this. As soon as the infringing team looks to run to half way for a quick restart, blow the whistle and make them wait until the scoring team has had an opportunity to retire and in a position to receive the ensuing kick restart.’

This is such a stupid rule.

Go back to how it was I say. It’s exciting watching the quick restart in my opinion.

Anyways as long as all the referees know now and there is no assumptions that if the Friday night super rugby referee says it’s play on then there’s no confusion for the Saturday club rugby referee who’s watching at home or in the stands at Suncorp.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any news on Logan 2nd grade? All of sudden they have disappeared. No game this weekend for 2nd grade by the looks of it. They (Logan) have forfeited 3 games this season thus far, and having Brothers (ladder leaders) maybe the QRU has pulled the plug on them? Any news?

It is a pity for Logan, however, maybe they may have been a bit optimistic of their ability. Maybe next year they should drop the 2nd grade team to third grade, Colt 1 to Colts 2 and Colts 2 to Colts 3; to give them a glimmer of hope in competitions. Think it would be a step back if they weren't allowed to play next year. Now with a season (or part thereof) under their belt maybe the administration would "regrade" them? I think that their ambition of first grade is a while off at this stage.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
This is such a stupid rule.

Go back to how it was I say. It’s exciting watching the quick restart in my opinion.

Anyways as long as all the referees know now and there is no assumptions that if the Friday night super rugby referee says it’s play on then there’s no confusion for the Saturday club rugby referee who’s watching at home or in the stands at Suncorp.

Nah disagree. I think the scoring team should be allowed time to "get set" particularly as there is no conversion. Otherwise its more like touch or five kick. In giving away a penalty try somethings gone amiss. I agree it would make it exciting, but I don't think the offending team should get any advantage.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
What is the actual coaching structure? Isnt CM the head of rugby or something like that?

He is the head coach/head of rugby. There were also 3 other coaches (Kelevi Tuicolo, Brendan Gabbett and Ben McCormack) and two managers Tony McDermott and Tim McKellar (as listed last year). Now I'm not sure that Ben McCormack is down there this year, but have seen the others on game day. However, Carl's the boss, head honcho, the big kahuna, where the buck stops, whatever you like to call him (and you can't use THAT word).

Just from my point of view the defensive structures need some improving; other than that they are just being a little out muscled and out-positioned at the ruck and in general play. Except for the two Jeeps games (Round 1 & 10) and the UQ game (Round 11), they have probably lost most games by less than 10 points (Similar to the other cellar dwellers The Bank, Norths and Wests; almost half the competition!). Easts have had the wood on them this year (Easts very underrated imo; no particular world beaters, just a well gelled/skilled team).

Just goes to prove the closeness of the competition, a big positive in my opinion.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Nah disagree. I think the scoring team should be allowed time to "get set" particularly as there is no conversion. Otherwise its more like touch or five kick. In giving away a penalty try somethings gone amiss. I agree it would make it exciting, but I don't think the offending team should get any advantage.

What advantage are the offending side getting?

If your going to eliminate the shot at goal during a penalty try then it’s play on during the restart.

Nothing irritates me more in football then a slow referee. When a player taps the ball on the mark and the ref pulls up the possession. I understand the referee in some cases has to speak to the infringing player but as a fan I’m looking to see fast pace rugby not a slow game... worst thing that happened to rugby was when the IRB got rid of the ELO rules a few years back. Loved the pace of the game with more half arms over full arms penalties.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
SX. They only have to sprint 50m while the other team has to go 60 and then turn and face. That's plainly ridiculous.

Anyway, if the Laws said you could have a quick restart then teams would be aware and know how to react, but as it wasn't and is still not the Law, teams have every expectation that the Law will be applied correctly and they have time to get back to receive the restart. In the game last Saturday when some players broke the Law, it was only when other players belatedly discovered the referee bizarrely did not know what he was doing and was not going to enforce the Law, that they had to try and react - which was always going to put them behind the eight ball. It was quite simply a disgrace.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
SX. They only have to sprint 50m while the other team has to go 60 and then turn and face. That's plainly ridiculous.

Anyway, if the Laws said you could have a quick restart then teams would be aware and know how to react, but as it wasn't and is still not the Law, teams have every expectation that the Law will be applied correctly and they have time to get back to receive the restart. In the game last Saturday when some players broke the Law, it was only when other players belatedly discovered the referee bizarrely did not know what he was doing and was not going to enforce the Law, that they had to try and react - which was always going to put them behind the eight ball. It was quite simply a disgrace.

I agree if it’s the law then the law should be applied. This leads me to another referring gripe.

I have for a number of years written in these forums about the “non-policing” of certain play. In schoolboys and colts rugby the issue of refs policing the breakdown is too inconsistent. Particularly coming in from the side, sealing off and incorrect turn over technique are commonly overlooked.

In senior rugby I see a lot of high tackles and neck rolling poorly policed. Then we all get upset at super rugby level or to a lesser extent at international level and we wonder why? The reason, for the last 15-20 years these bad habits become completely normalised and hard to break particularly when the pressures on and players slip back into the easy.

I don’t particularly want to rubbish refs but they are an important ingredient in the way we play rugby and how we compete in higher honours. I think this is a national problem that ALL of us need to take some responsibility for; to do otherwise will just lead to the same outcomes for Aussie rugby; high penalty counts against us and loosing by penalties when we score more tries!!!

When we won the World Cup we had two fundamental ingredients (besides great players): 1 good discipline and 2 good kickers (that nullified the opposition great kickers).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Fair point about the team having to run 60 metres and turn around. I see the advantage...

bring back the 2 points in front of the post after penalty try. That way we don’t have what we witnessed on Friday night at Suncorp and Saturday afternoon at the kennel.

Anyways Serge. Enjoyed the discussion, don’t think I should beat the horse on this topic anymore. Youz the referee reading a rule book I’m just a fan who wishes the game was played in a more exciting way.

Reactions: vac

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'd say most of the coaches would be safe for 2019.
UQ- Heenan probably has the job for life if he wants it. His sides have shown repeatedly over a long period of time that they respond well to his methods. It does help having quality players such as Dalglesh, Gale, Korczyk, Foley etc but in saying that he is able to bring players into the squad that do their job and do it very well. Will be going no where, rusted on for a long time to come.
GPS- Matho has been outstanding and has brought the club back to where we were a couple of years ago both on and off the field. Only way he won't he around next year is if he gets headhunted for higher honours. Not having Gormo this season has had a few challenges but bringing players through like Gicquel (the kid is a freak), Treleaven & Nicholson shows he can spot talent and develop them into Premier Grade Players. Players such as Freeney, Burke Ricko, King have all flourished under his coaching. Very safe in the role for the next few years at least.
Souths- ET has done well getting the club back into the four. Relationship with Buzz is strained at times apparently so Picone might not be around next season as his agency work might take priority. Has done well with the stable managing the players and will see what happens comes finals. If they don't make the GF though it will be seen as a disappointing season especially now with the inclusion of Hunt. Safe if they make the GF, but still safe.
Easts- Connellan has bounced back exceptionally well after the disappointment of 2017. His side is really well drilled and playing great footy. The likes of Reddy, Gunn and Wright have all made a fantastic impact to the side's performance but he has done very well bringing young players through. They have a tough few weeks to finals but I'd expect them to make the four and could be a real smokey of taking the flag. Will be going nowhere, highly respected at Tigerland.
Bond- Anderson is another who has done above expectation this season. The Bond side is playing very entertaining footy and it could be touch and go if they make the four. Could come down to their final match against Norths. Players such as Nucifora, Sargent, Slipper, Manu have been great and Ford has been a standout and probably the best player in the comp this year. Watch out if the crack the Four. Locked in for sure, my tip for 2019's flag.
Norths- Fogarty has had a pretty noticeable impact with the Eagles since his arrival a few years back. No longer are they considered the easy beats of the comp and are a highly competitive unit. Probably missing two or three Premier Grade Players. Losing Tonga at the start of the season and Chitterden, and Tuapou at the start of the second round has knocked a bit of class off the side but players such as Vuki, Jones, Campbell and Chapman have all shown strong improvement under the Norths program. Best man for the job.
Wests- Byron has probably under achieved this year after making the 4 last season. Has been at the club for a number of years now when things were pretty grim so it would be nice if he could be given another season to deliver finals. Really strong roster with players such as Lynch, Wihongi, Dillon, and Andersen all having strong seasons. Should be safe if loyalty counts.
Sunnybank- Virtue could be under a little pressure to keep his job. The dragons have definitely underperformed in 2018. After just missing out on a GF birth last season they could potentially get the spoon. Lucas was missed greatly once he left for 20s duties and the side seems to be not playing with the same freedom as previous seasons. Will be interesting to see what they do come end of the year. Under the most pressure.
Brothers- Marshall would have to be unlucky to be given the flick after this year. Pretty obvious that they have blooded a number of younger players in a view to the following years to come. They haven't been that awful this season just a tad unlucky. Wilson has been exceptional this year and is playing well above his years and the likes of Lawson and McReight will be very influential players in the years to come. Would be mad to punt him, proven winner.
Mathison is moving onto an overseas club,Hong Kong I believe. I disagree about Andersen.His squad is outstanding & he should be under pressure if he’s not already.Plus with Seib being his assistant but the Head Coach of QLD Country,i’d Be surprised if he kept his job in 2019.Totally agree with your other opinions

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
With Bond having a Bye next week, it appears that GPS and UQ have locked up final four spots. Competition now between Souths, Easts and Bond for the other two spots. All three have one game against a team lower than them on the ladder, while Souths and Easts also have one game each against a team higher than them on the ladder. It could come down to bonus points and for and against, given that the three teams will be within one point of each other after today.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Table after today

Uni 48
GPS 47
Souths 41
Easts 41
Bond 40

Next week Bond have a bye;
Easts v Wests
Souths v Snbk

Souths & Easts have better F&A than Bond so even a 4 point win to Souths & Easts will be curtains for Bond's final aspirations - what Bond would do to have secured one more win through the season.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
It's going to be a pretty interesting last couple of rounds with the race for the Wooden Spoon almost as interesting as the race for the Final Four. With Bond having the bye Easts and Souths can't have an off day. UQ have a very tough last two games with Jeeps and the Magpies. UQ will just scrape into the top two with a couple of narrow losses to Jeeps and Souths. Sunnybank must win this weekend or the spoon is theirs but Norths are still a good chance of collecting it too. Don't think Norths will be strong enough to beat Brothers or Bond.
Top Four
1. Jeeps 55
2. UQ 50
3. Souths 49
4. Easts 45
5. Bond 44-Only hope is they get the bonus point win vs Norths which is highly possible, but for/against is still a bit low and will need a cricket score against the Eagles.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
It will be a very interesting last 2 games for all teams. Bond having the bye won't help them and relies heavily on Easts and/or South's having really bad weeks.

With the Red's now finished, it will be interesting who's available this weekend. I saw Duncan Paia'aua come off the bench for North's on the weekend and Gunn play the 2nd half for Easts. Word is that Liam Wright may also be available for Easts making their strong set piece stronger.

Anybody know of any other players coming back from the Reds to play the last 2 games for their clubs.

Top 4 may not be decided to the final whistle of the last game. Very Exciting

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's going to be a pretty interesting last couple of rounds with the race for the Wooden Spoon almost as interesting as the race for the Final Four. With Bond having the bye Easts and Souths can't have an off day. UQ have a very tough last two games with Jeeps and the Magpies. UQ will just scrape into the top two with a couple of narrow losses to Jeeps and Souths. Sunnybank must win this weekend or the spoon is theirs but Norths are still a good chance of collecting it too. Don't think Norths will be strong enough to beat Brothers or Bond.
Top Four
1. Jeeps 55
2. UQ 50
3. Souths 49
4. Easts 45
5. Bond 44-Only hope is they get the bonus point win vs Norths which is highly possible, but for/against is still a bit low and will need a cricket score against the Eagles.

Legaleagle there are many possible permutations - one you haven't considered is that your lads get stalled on 47 and get run down by Souths or Easts and they secure 2nd spot behind Uni or alternatively Uni stall on 48 and deliver GPS with the minor premiership with Souths/Easts in 2nd.

The winner of Uni v GPS clearly gets the inside running for the minor premiership.

As for Bond - if Souths & Easts secure wins (4 pointers) next week Bond are done regardless they can't won't have as many wins as Easts and there F&A is 29 cf Souths 94.

I understand that first determinant of teams finishing on same points is number of wins and then F&A.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
As for the race for the spoon:

Norths 24 - Bros; Bond;
Wests 23 - Easts; Bros;
Brothers 21 - Norths; Wests;
Sunnybank 21 - Souths; Bye

I am prepared to call that Norths, Wests & Bros are safe - Sunnybank will get the spoon.

Apologies to all @ Albion for wishing the spoon upon them (it was mostly tongue and cheek - most of what I post is essentially T&C with some intent from time to time - I don't mean to upset people) - Brothers have really rallied with fear of the spoon and credit to them for knocking off Souths recently - still plenty to play for at Sci-Fleet in round 18 though - both clubs would love to finish the season with the Pilecki-Shaw trophy.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was at Souths and gps, Quade Cooper was simply awful . On that performance Brad thorn is 100% right

Status
Not open for further replies.