• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lineout was poor, scrum was a mixed bag of dominance & dominated. Really missing lock Matt Benetts I think. QC (Quade Cooper) dominated by Dalgiesh.
Yet QC (Quade Cooper) is still the reds saviour according to half on the reds forum...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I
Yet QC (Quade Cooper) is still the reds saviour according to half on the reds forum.

Dominated is probably too strong a description, but definitely outplayed tactically. Dalgliesh controlled the game better. I reckon KHunt was more creative than QC (Quade Cooper) for Souths from outside centre. Quade should be dominating at club level every week. We'll see if his experience and talent come to the fore next couple of weeks (hopefully) in finals pressure rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I

Dominated is probably too strong a description, but definitely outplayed tactically. Dalgliesh controlled the game better. I reckon KHunt was more creative than QC (Quade Cooper) for Souths from outside centre. Quade should be dominating at club level every week. We'll see if his experience and talent come to the fore next couple of weeks (hopefully) in finals pressure rugby.

Was at game too and I thought QC (Quade Cooper) seemed to prove BT right. He seems to have lost his ability to run, and many have said it for last 3-4 years I know, and his only real trick seems to be cutout passes. Thought the whole Uni team pretty much looked better than their Souths counterparts!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Uni have set themselves apart from the other 3 still in it.

I won't call it yet but they have to be strongly favoured to pull off a grand slam:
- Bunter Bowl; (tick)
- Welsby Cup; (tick)
- Horsley trophy (Minor Premiership); (tick)
- Hospitals Cup (??)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
These are my projections for end of season - in the above post - I have pretty much projected wins for the higher ranked sides except for Rnd 17 Norths v Bros and Rnd 18 GPS v Easts - just to show how tight it will get at the end of the season in the race for the top 4 and the wooden spoon.

I think at the end of H&A

1. Souths

2. Uni

3. GPS

4. Easts

9. Bros

And so to Wests who finish: Souths, GPS, Uni, Easts, and then probably the grand final for the spoon v Bros in round 18!!!

A win over Brothers in round 18 at home to give them the spoon and Wests the Pilecki/Shaw trophy (in the year of Stan's passing) would make for a bearable summer!!!

Bulldog, I would slow down on the predictions given your form.

How'd that wooden spoon for Brothers go?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Was at game too and I thought QC (Quade Cooper) seemed to prove BT right. He seems to have lost his ability to run, and many have said it for last 3-4 years I know, and his only real trick seems to be cutout passes. Thought the whole Uni team pretty much looked better than their Souths counterparts!

Fully agree Dan, I've been an unabashed fan of Cooper over the years but I wouldn't have him anywhere near a rep side at the moment. The cut out & the flick passes & the cross field kicks that work sometimes are still in the bag of tricks. Not the stepping & turn of pace that made him lethal. He tries hard to be a ten that controls a game but it's just not in his DNA it seems. Could be a form thing of course but I've only seen him dominate 3 & a half games of club rugby this season. It should be 70% at least.
In fact Souths backline should be the competition benchmark with all the experience & potential talent & speed. But Uni had their measure this week as did GPS two weeks ago. Uni backrow took honours. Scrum was parity with both tight fives dominating at different periods. Souths lineout a shambles.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Congratulations to the minor premiers:

UQ 1st grade
Brothers 2nd, 3rd & 6th grade
Souths 4th & 5th grade

Brothers Colts 1, 2 & 3.

Now it’s the finals. Will these minor premiers go all the way? Or do we have others that can take their crown?

Still favour a GPS v UQ grand final. Did like Easts for a moment, but just too up and down over the last month to get too excited.

Like Brothers in the 2nd grade, however West’s not too far off; Easts are also a worthy mention and are the Smokey’s.

Brothers again in 3rd grade however form (mainly due to injury in 2nd grade) seems to be off the boil. The Bank are the main danger. The Smokey’s again are Easts.

Souths look like the team to beat in 4th grade, with Brothers the main danger.

5th grade is also very close. Souths must be favourites however Jeeps and Brothers could knock them off on their day.

6th grade Brothers should win, Jeeps up there again, but would like to see a Brother v Brothers GF.

I can see Brothers winning probably 2 of the 3 Colts gf’s. Colts 1 should be heavily favoured but finals do have some strange outcomes;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yet QC (Quade Cooper) is still the reds saviour according to half on the reds forum.

Well just proves how much garbage can enter these forums. I gave up the reds forum for just that reason. Not discounting what he did from 2010-12, he has given me more frustration then pleasure, and the sooner he mores on, the better.

Too much oxygen on this subject, added and abetted by those who know better. Would much rather talk about the younger players and lower grades than this “history”.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Surprising click bait article by Jim Tucker. Headlining that ,"South's hunt gamble backfires"..
Then talks about hunt playing well on sat but being ineligible for finals and the majority of the article about the English capped hooker.

It is almost like it is the wrong headline

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surprising click bait article by Jim Tucker. Headlining that ,"South's hunt gamble backfires"..
Then talks about hunt playing well on sat but being ineligible for finals and the majority of the article about the English capped hooker.

It is almost like it is the wrong headline

Poor form from Tucker.How has it backfired?Souths gave Hunt an opportunity to play.Good on them.

As for the Paice story,Souths are being pretty cheeky.I realise they lost Maille Ngaumo but when you’ve got Michael Baice playing Reserve Grade & Rhys van Nek,a more than capable Colt they certainly don’t need a former international who simply hasn’t met the requirements to qualify for finals.

If Bond, Brothers or UQ needed exemption,I’d understand.Their Reserve Grade scrums have been woeful but Souths seem to have more depth than most in the front row

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
generally the journo doesn't write the headlines.

Tucker continues to provide fantastic coverage of club rugby (and other forms). I wouldn't have a go at him for this

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah i wasn't aiming my "shit form" comment at Jim Tucker. The article was by Jim Tucker - the Courier Mail had turned it into click bait.
Glad i'm not anyone remotely famous!

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Jim Tucker wrote an article yesterday (30 July) indicating that Souths recognise Hunt is not eligible for finals and so won't play against Easts this weekend (similar to Mark Chisholm with Wests last year) but Souths are apparently seeking dispensation for Paice to play. While Paice has also not played the required six games they are arguing that they have a shortage of hookers of Premier grade standard and so they have a safety issue should Casey be injured. The 2018 Queensland Premier Rugby Union Competition Rules, specifically 10.4(II), state inter alia 'To reiterate, the only discretionary power available to the Management Committee is in regards to injury to the player for whom dispensation is sought or forfeits.' As Paice did not miss number of games eligibility through injury to himself, nor through any forfeited matches, it is simply not within the Management Committee's discretionary power to provide the dispensation being sought. It would appear that Souths are either not aware of the relevant Competition Rules or they have received some advice indicating that the Competition Rules will be broken for them. Assuming Tucker's article was correct, let's see what the QRU does.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fear not I would be very surprise if South get a dispensation for Paice given the recent precedents of Chisholm (Wests '17) & Hegarty(GPS) in 2013.

I think the other clubs in the competition would be rightly aggrieved - it's a bit rich for South to play the player safety issue again this time.

I think everyone in the game appreciates that player safety is paramount but is this a player safety issue or is it something else?

I'll call it for what it is - it's a try on by the Magpies.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fear not I would be very surprise if South get a dispensation for Paice given the recent precedents of Chisholm (Wests '17) & Hegarty(GPS) in 2013.

I think the other clubs in the competition would be rightly aggrieved - it's a bit rich for South to play the player safety issue again this time.

I think everyone in the game appreciates that player safety is paramount but is this a player safety issue or is it something else?

I'll call it for what it is - it's a try on by the Magpies.
As long as all those saying it is a try on by Souths, don't also bleat if Souths find it necessary to call uncontested scrums sometime during the finals series.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
As long as all those saying it is a try on by Souths, don't also bleat if Souths find it necessary to call uncontested scrums sometime during the finals series.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Competition Rules, including the specific reference to Law 3(16) applying to First (Premier) Grade, appear to address this possibility.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why can’t Souths pull the hooker from colts 1 as a option? I know it’s not ideal but it might be the best course of action if you are picking the hooker from 3rd grade because the 1st and 2nd grade hookers are unavailable.

Souths better not go uncontested. Injuries suck but it’s going to bring the game into disrepute that it’s happening in premier grade.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Why can’t Souths pull the hooker from colts 1 as a option? I know it’s not ideal but it might be the best course of action if you are picking the hooker from 3rd grade because the 1st and 2nd grade hookers are unavailable.

Souths better not go uncontested. Injuries suck but it’s going to bring the game into disrepute that it’s happening in premier grade.

Yep, agree with you there SX.
Didn't Joe Cotton as an 18 year old pack down against The Bank for you guy's in the finals last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.