• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Fear not I would be very surprise if South get a dispensation for Paice given the recent precedents of Chisholm (Wests '17) & Hegarty(GPS) in 2013.

I think the other clubs in the competition would be rightly aggrieved - it's a bit rich for South to play the player safety issue again this time.

I think everyone in the game appreciates that player safety is paramount but is this a player safety issue or is it something else?

I'll call it for what it is - it's a try on by the Magpies.

Well, one never knows unless one trys. Didn't stop Wests from giving it a crack a year ago. Was that ' a bit rich' ?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've heard that South's have also put in for dispensation for Karmichael Hunt - what do people think about that?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd be be aggrieved if I was one of the club's still alive in QPR if Paice & Hunt are cleared to play.

Souths like all other 8 clubs knew the rules going into the competition but want to be granted special consideration.

Not only should justice be done but it needs to be seen to be done.

It seems that the South's President wants to make up his own rules.

They are not showering their club with glory at present.

Is this in the spirit or rules of the game?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I've heard that South's have also put in for dispensation for Karmichael Hunt - what do people think about that?

The Hunt one is interesting - it isn't like he was parachuted in from playing Super Rugby all of a sudden, Souths gave him an opportunity to actually play, that Norths weren't - arguably he was available for Premier rugby all season, it just wasn't until he transferred clubs that he was able to take the field.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the Chisholm case probably no different (Chisholm did start some games for Wests in 2017 but my understanding is that Paice sat on the bench for the first time last week) but the Karmichael case that's a whole different ball game.

I don't want to start another Ian Cameron tirade but in the case of Hunt:
- QRU don't select him for the Reds on disciplinary grounds;
- All QPR Presidents enter pact that KH won't play for their club;
- one club registers KH to play for them 4/5 weeks out from finals;
- KH was either not registered with a club or registered with another club - Norths - six weeks prior finals;
- player eligibility for finals is that players must be registered with the club 6 weeks prior to finals to be eligible to play finals footy for that club;
- said finals qualifying club make application for dispensation for KH;

On what grounds could they possibly be successful with this application? Is the said club simply wasting the dispensation committees time?

Happy to be corrected on this one but I just don't think the committee can grant dispensation in either case.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The rules are in place to ensure that clubs just can't go out and fly in professional players from around the globe to play finals footy.

The rule are the rules and I am sure that the committee will enforce them.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
- QRU don't select him for the Reds on disciplinary grounds;
- All QPR Presidents enter pact that KH won't play for their club;

Totally agree that the rules are in place to stop clubs flying in pro players but Hunt wasn't flown in, he was around already.
I know that the Reds weren't selecting him on disciplinary grounds but your comment that 'all QPR presidents enter pact' surprised me - is that true? Norths were entitled to make their own decision but getting other clubs to agree seems dubious - they should be making their own decisions based on what they think is best for their own clubs.

Reactions: dru

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
The rules are in place to ensure that clubs just can't go out and fly in professional players from around the globe to play finals footy.

The rule are the rules and I am sure that the committee will enforce them.

Yep. Its pretty straightforward. The Competition Rules require a player to have played at least one third of the matches in the rounds to be eligible (in Prems this is 6). Hunt does not meet this criteria therefore he can only play if dispensation is granted. The Committee only has discretionary powers to grant dispensation for a player who through his own injury has missed games or another team forfeited - either of which if they hadn't happened would have allowed the player to meet his 6 game requirement. In Hunt's case, neither occurred so the committee has no power to grant him dispensation. End of story. The rest of the discussion is nugatory.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Mark Chisholm is a bulldog for life. I believe if a pro player playing abroad returns to his junior club and had appeared in 4 matches (out of minimum 6 games required) then common sense should prevail and dispensation should be rewarded.

Was Souths Hooker Paice ever aligned to Souths? To me it’s a roll of dice asking for the QRU to reward a dispensation on a imported mercanry who has no former links to the magpies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Mark Chisholm is a bulldog for life. I believe if a pro player playing abroad returns to his junior club and had appeared in 4 matches (out of minimum 6 games required) then common sense should prevail and dispensation should be rewarded.

Was Souths Hooker Paice ever aligned to Souths? To me it’s a roll of dice asking for the QRU to reward a dispensation on a imported mercanry who has no former links to the magpies.

I'm pretty sure he was a junior Magpie, not 100% sure though.
You can all debate the merits till your Waratah blue in the face. It's entirely up to the QRU boffins.

Not aimed at you SX

But it's been well documented that Souths are not trying to get Hunt to play in the finals. Anything else is conjecture and rumour.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
You can all debate the merits till your Waratah blue in the face. It's entirely up to the QRU boffins.

Not aimed at you SX

But it's been well documented that Souths are not trying to get Hunt to play in the finals. Anything else is conjecture and rumour.
Paice definitely played for Souths Juniors.
Possibly Colts as well, but maybe someone else can confirm that.
Anyway, hardly an "imported mercenary".

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Paice definitely played for Souths Juniors.
Possibly Colts as well, but maybe someone else can confirm that.
Anyway, hardly an "imported mercenary".
David Paice was a Souths Junior and Colt. He has been in contact with the Club and members of the Club throughout his time in England. He has come up to the Club whenever he has been back in Brisbane. He has donated some of his representative jerseys to the Club for fundraising over the years. So as Pieman states he his hardly an imported mercenary and to call him so is highly offensive. He has played in the last three matches for Souths this year: GPS, Sunnybank and University.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Apologies about my allegation about Paice being a hired mercenary

If Paice has been previously involved with club then I say let him play.

I did put a question mark asking if he was before my allegation.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)

Not aimed at you SX

Souths sought dispensation for Paice & Hunt & both were denied.Souths have appealed this & the appeal for both players will be heard this afternoon.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
David Paice was a Souths Junior and Colt. He has been in contact with the Club and members of the Club throughout his time in England. He has come up to the Club whenever he has been back in Brisbane. He has donated some of his representative jerseys to the Club for fundraising over the years. So as Pieman states he his hardly an imported mercenary and to call him so is highly offensive. He has played in the last three matches for Souths this year: GPS, Sunnybank and University.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

In other words, A Magpie For Life.

Status
Not open for further replies.