• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep, fair call

Nabuli to the Reds bench.

Who can you see dropping out the Red Squad (thus boosting which Brisbane Club)?

Its great having so much young talent available.

Nabuli to club rugby.

Unfortunately Nabuli isn't as flexible when it comes to positions he can play. he is a winger (doesn't play in the centres or at fullback)

Duncan Paia'aua is a bit more flexible with the positions he has played (10, 12, 15) You can't let the axe fall on him when coaches tend to go a 4/3 Forwards/Backs split.

Least thats my prediction anyways.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Just a cool little feature for anybody who's interested at looking at lineups but it looks like some teams are uploading their lineups into rugbylink ahead of time. Not all positions are filled but you can click on fixtures and there is a blue icon to the furtherst right of the individual games in the round. Seen team lists for Wests, Bond, Easts and Sunnybank thus far.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Reds website in the premier grade section still shows all the old Ezines and media photos from the 2017 season. I assume they'll continue with the weekly preview email/magazine but I don't expect a reboot of the website by week 1.

The Ezine magazine would sometimes be emailed out after 5pm on a Friday. Lets hope they are busy working away on getting this publication sorted for Round 1.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep, took Brothers at $21 last week. Feeling somewhat disloyal but reckon Souths + Quade is the value at $9.

QC (Quade Cooper) and dont forget Richard "The Opportunity" Kingi. They are at much better odds with other bookies. I had a good go at them on Sportsbet @$18 then William Hill @$17

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting to see Elwee bringing a few more Perth boys across. I remember Cavu coming through at Joondalup, never saw much of Tavita though.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Amazing the state of the ground at Gold Coast compared to the 3 livestreams up in Brisbane.

It’s a mud bath here at Nerang.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Nerang is just a local club and weather has been shocking last couple of days. Not many choices down here coz of the CommGames though

Jason Crosell

Bob McCowan (2)
What a round to start of the year, great to see some teams show up that haven't really showed any ticker in recent memory.

In my opinion Uni were lucky to get away with a win in what was an interesting game. A shame to see Matt Gordan giving away a late penalty to give Uni the lead especially after a good game himself. Bond & Wests are going to have to be better against other teams in the comp mind you it is a bit hard to tell form considering the state of the field!!!! What a cracking game between North's and Sunnybank, North's should have taken the win if not for a missed penalty from Jooste. Great to see a referee talking to players like human beings and letting them sort out the result (or lack of result), clearly helped in providing a positive game for all to watch so well done young man. Brothers are going to need to sort something out quick, a few players coming back from injury will help dearly. I thought GPS were okay but didn't look great, they were lucky that Brothers ran out of steam and didn't put pressure on them in the second half. Again in this game the refereeing was great, hopefully we get a full season of consistency and we can see some excellent premier rugby.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was great being able to flick around the different games on the live stream. Hats off to the Reds (and clubs) there.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Gotta disagree with you Jason. GPS were outstanding that's a great result considering the offseason concerns of a talent drain at Yoku Rd. Not easy going into a hostile venue like that and keeping the Filth scoreless.

GPS 2nd Grade got towelled by Brothers so I assume Brothers 1st grade there might be some players positions up for grabs.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Gotta disagree with you Jason. GPS were outstanding that's a great result considering the offseason concerns of a talent drain at Yoku Rd. Not easy going into a hostile venue like that and keeping the Filth scoreless.

GPS 2nd Grade got towelled by Brothers so I assume Brothers 1st grade there might be some players positions up for grabs.

GPS depth might be tested this year with only four starters from last years Prem Reserve premiership winning team playing against Brothers 2nd grade; with the rest playing Prems, retired, absent or injured. Will be interesting to see how the season progresses for GPS with the inevitable injuries the Prems side will have to cover.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Congratulations to jeeps, too fast and too smart at the breakdown; this is when experience counts and they got it right. They scrummaged well and won all the 50-50 balls.

Brothers I think are in a lill trouble; young guns are good for the future, but may not be good for this season. Too many “no passes” (passes that weren’t on ) instead of controlling possession, taking their time. Too many handling errors when it counted; maybe jeeps pressure made Brothers think they needed to pass.

A few comments: thought that whilst the refereeing was good, 3-4 penalty’s late in the first half (when brothers were attacking) and 5-6 penalty’s in the second half, inside the 22m without a yellow card is an astonishing achievement by the diplomacy of the jeeps team;

Second why didn’t the brothers captain take some points (with these penalty’s) instead of the trench warfare that Brothers weren’t going to win? May have freed up the game for them instead of the energy sapping style of game they chose to play.

Brothers clearly weren’t as fit as the jeeps boys, even though they may have looked fitter. The forward pack is going to struggle this year against any team with some brawn and fitness. The backrow was either not as involved at the breakdown or were easily neutralised.

I don’t think there are too many others in the cupboard for brothers and I don’t think the answers are in second grade, at this stage.

Jeeps may not of won the trophy, but they won the 1st, 4th grade (?) and a surprise victory in colts 1, so still a lot of good news for them this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyBookie

Frank Row (1)
What a round to start of the year, great to see some teams show up that haven't really showed any ticker in recent memory.

In my opinion Uni were lucky to get away with a win in what was an interesting game. A shame to see Matt Gordan giving away a late penalty to give Uni the lead especially after a good game himself. Bond & Wests are going to have to be better against other teams in the comp mind you it is a bit hard to tell form considering the state of the field!!!! What a cracking game between North's and Sunnybank, North's should have taken the win if not for a missed penalty from Jooste. Great to see a referee talking to players like human beings and letting them sort out the result (or lack of result), clearly helped in providing a positive game for all to watch so well done young man. Brothers are going to need to sort something out quick, a few players coming back from injury will help dearly. I thought GPS were okay but didn't look great, they were lucky that Brothers ran out of steam and didn't put pressure on them in the second half. Again in this game the refereeing was great, hopefully we get a full season of consistency and we can see some excellent premier rugby.

Not sure I agree with the Uni call, if it wasn't for the back to back yellow cards then Easts would have been blown off the park. Dodgy yellows too

Matthew Moore

Frank Row (1)
Not sure I agree with the Uni call, if it wasn't for the back to back yellow cards then Easts would have been blown off the park. Dodgy yellows too

I disagree with Uni being able to blow Easts off the park considering the Tigers absolutely d#cked Uni at scrum time. Easts looked fitter than their campaign in 2017 with a few outstanding recruits, they will only be better.
Uni scored through poor defensive efforts from the Tigers inexpereinced outside backs.

I can agree that the first yellow to one of the uni players was very marginal, he did however tip tackle and that is now deemed a cartable offence, a penalty for that would have sufficed. The second yellow how ever did not look to good, it was for contact above the shoulder (card given to the wrong player it should have been given to #7 and not the #6).

Status
Not open for further replies.