• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think 10 players being away has a flow on effect though.

Did anyone see the score for Brothers vs UQ in 2nd grade? It was a 50-5 thumping... holy moly!

In saying that there's some really handy players featuring in brothers 2nd grade this year like Mitchell Felsman & Nathanuel Gendle who have been Brothers premier grade mainstays in years past.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Uq had 10 or so players away in Hong Kong for a tens tournament

Including Prem grade/nrc players - Campbell Wakley, Pat Morrey, jock Campbell, josh birch and Scott gale.

Add in con Foley who got and SOS from the Aussie 7’s and that’s s lot of top spots to fill.

I was actually a little suprised to see such a close score in first grade

Yeah I agree with you Red Heavy, however it was a choice that UQ/Kings College have made and the result was that Brothers had a field day, with a 8/9 win ratio with no losses. We will take that every time, thank you, as would any other club. Do you think you can arrange something for round 11?

On a more serious note, I thought the heavies had much better and more coherent game than they did against Easts. They were very competitive, probably many more errors then they would like, but the continuity and shape was superior to the previous game.

Brothers on the other hand had a pretty good game. The pressure at the gain-line was excellent and caused quite a few of the turnovers and possibly forced some of the poorer options taken; their scrum and set piece improved out of sight compared to the Jeeps game. The "go forward" and the basic catch and pass returned. The blend of young with some old hands has brought an enthusiasm that both are enjoying and there is a "buzz" around Brothers that I haven't seen (I did miss two decades 90's and 00's) since the late 1960's and mid seventy's; a dangerous concoction for their opponents in the future.

The retention of the colts from the last 2-4 years has added another dimension to the club. Don't know whether this will translate into a GF in first grade this year, but if they retain the players get the experience, the future years should be good. As for the lower grades, things are looking up and could see quite a few gf participants at the end of the season.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think 10 players being away has a flow on effect though.

Did anyone see the score for Brothers vs UQ in 2nd grade? It was a 50-5 thumping. holy moly!

In saying that there's some really handy players featuring in brothers 2nd grade this year like Mitchell Felsman & Nathanuel Gendle who have been Brothers premier grade mainstays in years past.

Yeah saw the game SouthernX, they are a pretty good "reggies" team. Usually there is a fairly large difference between 1st grade and 2nd grade, particularly size, skill and experience in most clubs. However, the 1st grade and 2nd grade teams (at Brothers) are probably a lot closer than most other clubs, and hence the results. Some of the younger crew (Smith, Wall and Morgan) have had some experience at first grade level, and throw in Liddy (playing blinders every week) and co. and they play a bright exciting footy, and score a lot of points. Of course you can't score those points unless your set piece is good and you don't control the footy for sustained periods, all of which they have done though the trails and the first two games.

I think (and it looks like) the Bulldogs will be a tussle and a half, however we will have to wait until round 9 for that one; a lot of water to go under the bridge before then!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know about predictions but looking forward to watching Sunnybank v GPS and Easts v Brothers on the live stream - 2 cracking games of rugby I hope.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
The games for first grade this year have all been close (except for the Jeeps/Brothers blow-out), and I don't think this round will be any different. Have watch a few of the games last week and here goes for this weeks rounds:

Battle of the Students - UQ v Bond

I was very impressed with the style and confidence of Bond last week and it was only the 'old' heads of Jeeps that kept them out. The heavies have their "jet-setters" back and played well last week without the result; this will be closer than we all think, however have to go the home side: Heavies by 8.

Tigers v The Brethren

Brothers young guns are starting to find their strides last week, with all but 5 of the 39 points scored by them. More excitement this week when George Smith joined their ranks to play possibly a half. Easts were unlucky in both their games thus far, but can't seem to land that killer blow. Brothers are at the tigers lair, you would expect home ground advantage would do it for them, but for mine: Brothers by 7.

Norths v Souths

The battle of the geographically opposed. Probably the hardest game to predict as both teams have had early byes and therefore we have had limited exposure to their play. Norths in the first round drew with with the Bank at the Bank; no mean feat. Didn't see the game but again young players to the fore. Souths looked the goods against Easts last week and controlled the game at their pace. Quade a definite factor, however the players around him did their bit. Again you would think home ground advantage is a plus, however The Magpies by 8.

The Bank v GPS

The Bank's form to date has been a bit disappointing compared to my expectation, particularly after they "toweled" Brothers in the trail. Jeeps form has been solid and they want that crown. Jeeps just too strong in this one, by 10.

Doughty Shield prediction for the week.

I think Brothers will increase their lead for the shield; don't know if it will be a clean sweep, but it will be damn close. Souths will also move up as I think they will win the day at Norths. The heavies will have to wait another couple of weeks before moving up the ranks, as they have Bond (who have limited teams).

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe the shield is safe then!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Think the shield is far from safe. Brother would have to be the early favourites. The Heavies will be in the mix, but I wouldn't discount Souths and Wests for a crack as well.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Very refreshing to see UQ lost 2 on the trot.

Not that I wish that kind of misery on anyone but they’ve been the regular season benchmark for good part of half a decade. Knowing that Goliath is slayable means the minor premiership could be anyone’s this year.

Congrats to Bond. Never saw that result coming

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Round 4 throws up some interesting battles:

Wests v Norths;
Snbk v Uni;
Souths v Bros;
Bond v Easts;
GPS bye

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Table has collapsed to be very close after Snbk, Bonds & Easts wins in round 3.

It is going to be a close run thing - if Norhs can get a win over Wests next week they too are back in contention for a top 4 finish.

Contrary to a post a few weeks back on Bonus Points - I think they'll be important in determining final 4 in 2018 so you want to snatch them when they are on offer.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm still loving the Red streaming. This year is as close as I have ever been to the QPR.

Agree that there is heaps to happen before we see the table settle. Shows the general competitiveness of the comp and this reflects well on everyone involved.

<Go Tigers>

Reactions: vac

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Just watched the stream of the Souths game and they look the goods and will be extremely hard to beat. Very organised and well structured. Quade is so far ahead in the game it's not funny, off loads at will and it almost looks like he is playing with the opposition at times. In saying that Norths were woeful, so far off the pace it was hard to watch and they will struggle to win a game in 2018 if that's how they play.
The Souths pack were very dominant with their 7 & 8 outstanding. The Norths pack had no answer for their power and speed and were made to look sub par in all areas of the game. The Souths backs were also great. Tasi at 13 was a real handful, such a strong runner and linked well with his outside backs. The Norths backs looked pretty ordinary even with the likes of Duncan Paia, Tony Hunt and Jooste playing. For Norths sake I hope that Souths were just on song or it's going to be a very long and painful season for them and their supporters again. Hewat at 8 was the only player who caused the South team some headaches.
Can't wait for our clash with the Eagles after the bye. Bulldog, I would be very surprised if your boys were to loose to Norths this weekend.
Was a tough weekend against the Bank who played better for longer periods of time than us. I'm sure after a week's rest and some fine tuning here and there we will be back in the winners circle.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For me Souths are looking very Quade-esque. The handling and off loads are fantastic - those skills could be used at Ballymore. They fire with creativity and score points. And then fade in the last 20 with poor D. Opposition teams then catch up, but you will have to score more often than Souths do to win.

DP didn't stand out for me.

In other games I thought that Ready looked much better this week (in spite his tries last). George Smith seemed to do little but make up numbers, does not look fit and looks over-weight.

Did Gale play on the weekend? I thought earlier his display (was it Round 1?) matched Quade in terms of domination.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes the age old rugby tradition of scoring more points than the opposition certainly helps set up a win. :)

Fair enough :)

What I mean is teams wont get past them solely on a defensive strategy. You need a game plan that intends getting over the line a lot. Sort of like the Reds aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.