• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Reds 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
formeropenside said:
just making the final in 2011 wont mean Queensland success is properly rewarded with Wallaby selection.

Are you presuming that the Reds will make the final in 2011? ::)

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:
formeropenside said:
just making the final in 2011 wont mean Queensland success is properly rewarded with Wallaby selection.

Are you presuming that the Reds will make the final in 2011? ::)

I'm keeping an open mind on the subject. If mere New South Welshmen can go from 13th to finalists in one season I see no reason why Queenslanders can't do something similar.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can someone please tell Peter Lewis that dreaming doesn't fix shit?

A bogan monkey "witnessing" a shooting in King's Cross with tourettes couldn't have given a worse answer.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
They could have saved valuable words.

Slack: Are you a deluded fuckstick?

Lewis: Yes

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Biffo said:
From the Courier-Mail web site. Andrew Slack interviewing Peter Lewis:

Slack: Queensland rugby enjoyed 25 years of enormous success, but the first decade of the 21st century has seen extremely lean pickings. Is there a realistic time line on when fans could expect to again get any consistent joy?

Lewis: Finals next year, grand finalist in 2011, a World Cup year where Queenslanders will dominate the Wallabies squad.

Slack: Are you serious?

Lewis: Absolutely.

Is any comment needed?

Thanks BIffo. Used as inspiration on the front page http://bit.ly/cvfXk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have just watched the Mebourne Storm thrash the Brisbane Broncos and Will Chambers looks pretty good to me. I think you've got a good'un there.

But the sad thing was watching his team mate, winger Joseph Tomane (who the league commentators call Toe-Main. Joseph, from Nudgee College, was the best player of the 2008 (Rugby Union) Schools Tournament. He scored 3 tries tonight and to my surprise did the goal kicking.

He can strike the ball sweetly and long. He may be worth getting back from the dark side one of these days.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
Have just watched the Mebourne Storm thrash the Brisbane Broncos and Will Chambers looks pretty good to me. I think you've got a good'un there.

But the sad thing was watching his team mate, winger Joseph Tomane (who the league commentators call Toe-Main. Joseph, from Nudgee College, was the best player of the 2008 (Rugby Union) Schools Tournament. He scored 3 tries tonight and to my surprise did the goal kicking.

He can strike the ball sweetly and long. He may be worth getting back from the dark side one of these days.

I formed exactly the same views from that game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
THERE was much publicity this past week about Lote Tuqiri being flicked by the Wallabies.

There was much less about Rhys Watkins, Nicole Comerford, Amy Kirkham and Jamie Youngson being flicked by the Reds.
QRU staff members Watkins, Comerford, Kirkham and Youngson were victims of the times. A struggling team and a wobbly economy. Had the Reds been winners, perhaps the administrative head coach Ken Freer would have kept his team intact.

Since Tuqiri's demotion there's been plenty of debate about what the Australian Rugby Union will do with a 32-year-old winger post-2011. (That is, after he's been paid his reported wage of $600,000 for the next couple of seasons).

It doesn't seem many are concerned at where the next few bob will come from for the quartet of ex-employees, for whom a figure of $600,000 is purely lotto-esque. Hey, that's life.

I know it, so does Tuqiri, and if Watkins and Co's feet are on the ground, so do they. I wonder, though, if certain relatively well-paid Reds players each consider the potential fallout for others when they take a shortcut at training or let the other bloke make that tackle during a game. Do they understand a win or a loss might determine another person's livelihood, not just their own?

Rugby, and sport in general, used to be largely immune from society's pitfalls. That was one of its great attractions. Sadly, the more commercial sport becomes the less immune it is, and in an increasingly "it's all about me" society, the portents aren't good.

You listen to players now and there is a hell of a lot of "me" in the conversation. Returning from an overseas stint where his already impressive reputation was enhanced, Wallabies flanker Rocky Elsom appeared bound for Ballymore.

Apparently, though, he and the Reds would not have got on. "I wouldn't have been able to go without trying to make it the way I wanted it, and I just knew it wouldn't be a good fit," he said.

I accept that harmony is a two-way street but there was once a time when players did what the coach and team wanted, not the other way around.

Of course it was Rocky's choice and he's not really to blame for this attitude.

Apart from some schooling here, he has no connection to Queensland. For what other reason would he come to a struggling team, than the challenge of trying to drag it out of the mire on his shoulders?

With the quality of squad they are assembling, the Brumbies were a much softer option. If any of the Queensland veterans of the 1970s-90s were in Elsom's position in 2009, I dare say they too would be off to Canberra.

How Watkins, Comerford, Kirkham and Youngson must wish they had prospective employers clamouring to offer lucrative packages. If you hang around the offices of certain football clubs, you get the sense the unsung workers who do the day-to-day toil that keeps a place ticking over are more passionate about the team's success than some of the players themselves.

Some Reds players in recent years have been less upset at a defeat than the foot soldiers behind the scenes, for whom every loss is a dagger to the heart. It is a privilege to have the talent to play professional rugby, but I'm not convinced the "all about me" philosophy, actively encouraged by some player-managers and families, is always in the best long-term interest for a young man starting out.

The notion of team is becoming clouded and the unfortunate reality is that in every state, there are Super 14 players just out of their teens who are convinced it is only about them.

Teamwork, hard yards, consequences and patience are words they pretend to understand, but many don't.

Rather than looking to the Tuqiris or Elsoms for inspiration, perhaps the next generation of young Reds would be better off chatting to Watkins, Comerford, Kirkham and Youngson. It might provide a reminder of the real world.

Interesting Andrew Slack article. I like the bolded bits.

In fact I just read it again. Its a bloody fantastic article.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah very good article.

Hopefully MMM read it or maybe his player manager cut the article out of his Sunday mail edition before it was delivered.

F

formeropenside

Humphries to captain QR Reds against Japan

Tuesday, 9 June 2009

QR Reds lock Van Humphries will captain the side that will take on Japan at Ballymore tomorrow night (kickoff 7pm).

Humphries, who had playing stints with IBM and Kintetsu in Japan before returning to Australia in 2007 and who scored a try against Japan for Australia A in last year's Pacific Nations Cup tournament, will lead out a Reds starting team featuring 14 players who played Super Rugby this year.

The exception is flyhalf Dallan Murphy, from the premiership-leading Brothers club, who comes into the side for Jono Lance (injured ankle).

"Dallan has been playing well for Brothers and they've been the pace-setters in the premier competition, so it's a good reward for him," QR Reds Head Coach Phil Mooney said.

Mooney has called in Reds hooker Sean Hardman to sit on the bench after young understudy James Hanson succumbed to an ankle injury and Gold Coast backrower John Norton, who played for the QAS Reds Academy earlier this year, comes into the squad for the Reds' Ezra Taylor (shoulder).

Reds props Greg Holmes and Jack Kennedy are being given more time to rest neck injuries, opening the way for Dayna Edwards to return from a calf injury.

The Reds will run a squad of 25 for the match, which will be used by Japan to fine tune their side for this year's Pacific Nations Cup, which has no Australian involvement this season.

The curtain raiser will be a match between Brisbane Adventist College and Northside Christian College, who also play in the QRU-fostered Independent Colleges Shield (kickoff 6pm).

Tickets are available from Ticketek.com.au: $20 adults, $5 Juniors (4 - 15 years) and $40 Family (2 Adults & 2 Juniors).

Gates open at 5:30pm and limited on-site parking is available for $10 (entry via Clyde Rd gates). Traffic management will be in place and neighbourhood parking restrictions will apply.

The QR Reds team is:

Ben Daley (Gold Coast)
Saia Fainga'a (Souths)
Laurie Weeks (University)
Adam Byrnes (University)
Van Humphries (c) (Souths)
Scott Higginbotham (Wests)
Poutasi Luafutu (Wests)
Leroy Houston (Norths)
Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)
Dallan Murphy (Brothers)
Anthony Sauer (Brothers)
Anthony Fainga'a (Souths)
Charlie Fetoai (Sunnybank)
Brando Va'aulu (University)
Mark McLinden (Sunnybank)

Sean Hardman (Brothers)
Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank)
Liam Shaw (Brothers)
John Norton (Gold Coast Breakers)
Curtis Franks (Easts)
Keiron Lander (Easts)
Albert Vuli Vuli (Souths)
Ken Robertson (Wests)
Dominic Shipperley (Brothers)
Blair Connor (Norths)

Strong forward pack, but a comparatively inexperienced backline. And a real bugger than Hanson has injured himself.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Biffo said:
Lindommer said:
Surely it would be better to create a culture where blokes like McLinden, Turinui, Weeks, Byrnes, the Faaingas, Leroy, Taylor et al WANT to move to Queensland to improve their rugby. And blokes like Pocock, Brown, JOC (James O'Connor), Mowen, Moore, To'omua, Elsom, Chapman, Heenan, etc., don't want to move elsewhere as things are so rosy a Wobbly jumper's there for the asking. I can understand why Grey, Cannon and others moved interstate to get out of an incumbent's shadow, but Queensland rugby's got no one but itself to blame for the schemozzle it's in. Berrick Barnes' blast to the suits should be a call to arms for serious rugby supporters north of the Tweed.

Why do so many players feel moving to the Brumbies will be a positive influence for their rugby careers? QRU executive, discuss.

Two added, but the "et al" retained.

I saw Rodney Blake playing in France last night. That's the 4th or 5th time I have seen him this year. He is now, believe it or not, a real scrummaging weapon. He was a poachee to Queensland but who punted him from there? Eddie the Steady? ARU refusal of a top-up?

BTW, I get to see 5-6 European games a week on a channel called Eurosports Pacific Channel. If you have cable/ satellite, it's very worthwhile.

Last night, for example, I watched Bayon v Stade Francais and the England Premiership final London Irish v Leicester. In the latter, our old mate Peter Hewat was at it again - dropped a marvellous goal from 40+ metres out in the first few minutes, but later gifted Leicester a try with a shocking decision for a kick and terrible execution - old Tah habits die very hard. Leicester ground out a 10-9 win.

Rodney does well in France coz he gets to walk around between the scrums.. Fact S14 and Wallabies will always be too fast for a man that size. The game has moved on from giants to effective little fucks like Benn 'two N" Robinson.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The QR Reds scored a well deserved but hard earned24-17 win over Pacific Nations Cup-bound Japanat Ballymore on Wednesday night.18-year-old colt Dom Shipperley secured the win five minutes from full time when the Australian Sevens product used his dynamic left foot step and pace to give Queensland a four tries to two win.Shipperley received the ball flat footed, stepped inside Japan’s outside defender and sped away from the cover defence.He was joined by Dallan Murphy, Charlie Fetoai and Scott Higginbotham on the scoreboard for a Reds team that consisted of contracted players, QAS Academy, and Queensland Premier Rugby representatives.Japan, only two days away from the start of the Pacific Nations Cup, defended valiantly and led the match 17-12 with 14 minutes remaining.However late tries to Higginbotham and Shipperley ensured the Reds left Ballymore with a well deserved win, having dominated field position and territory for the majority of the game.“(Japan) were very willing at the breakdown and we were exposed a little bit there, but the pleasing thing was everyone got a run and had an opportunity to do something,” QR Reds Head Coach Phil Mooney said.“They stole a lot of ball and we put ourselves under a lot of pressure in that regard, but we did dominate territory.”Rookie flyhalf Dallan Murphy made a strong impression after being called into the starting team duringthe week , scoring the first try and setting up another.He was joined by inside centre Anthony Fainga'a, who assisted Murphy with the attacking duties, defended strongly, and was a constant threat in attack.Twin brother Saia Fainga'a threw accurately in the lineout and scrummaged well to solidify the Reds’ strong set-piece, while scrumhalf Ben Lucas was close to Queensland’s best.Stalwart Sean Hardman, although limited with game time, showed why he was so valuable to Queensland when he threw an inside ball for Higginbotham’s go ahead score.“Who said you can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” Mooney quipped on Hardman’s ball-playing.“Hardy also made a decisive tackle. He made a real difference when he came on.”Queensland spent the majority of the first half deep in attack but only crossed the line once through Brothers flyhalf Murphy.Murphy, on the back of a five metre lineout, took full advantage of captain Van Humphries’ decision to opt against a penalty goal when he slid through two tired defenders to score under the post.Lucas tested Japan’s defence down the short-side all game and almost extended their lead midway through the half but was held up by the energetic, scrambling Japanese cover.Despite the Reds' strong territorial advantage, Japan went into the break ahead 10-7 when winger Koji Tomioka pounced on a grubber kick fumbled by Lucas only metres from their line.The only other time Japan entered Queensland’s half, they took away three points courtesy of centre Ryan Nicholas’ boot.Lucas made amends early in the second half with a superb late cover tackle to halt a strong Japan raid and from an ensuing rolling maul, Queensland marched down the field, scoring through centre Fetoai.Murphy again provided the magic touch with a pinpoint pass, leaving Fetoai with a 15 metre dash to give Queensland a 12-10 lead.Japan responded with a well constructed 80 metre effortfinishedby replacement flanker Yoshitaka Nakayama, but two late Queensland tries ended any chance of an upset.QR Reds 24 (Dallan Murphy, Charlie Fetoai, Scott Higginbotham, Dom Shipperley tries, Dallan Murphy, Ben Lucas cons) def Japan 17 (Koji Tomioka, Yoshitaka Nakayama tries, Ryan Nicholas 2 cons, Ryan Nicholas pen). Crowd 1,701.

Dismal crowd but to be expected.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:

has just signed for two years with the Gold Coast Titans

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I love it how when league poaches golden union prospects it doesn't even make the paper but when we take one back they get their panties in a twist.

Bloody mungos.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
tries from the Japan game are up on the qru web site.

Murphy, the rookie flyhalf, did some good things (from the limited action shown). The last try, by Shipperley, however it would be the worst swan dive for a try I have ever seen. Benny Alexander should give him some tips.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WALLABIES inside centre Berrick Barnes will wait for the Queensland Reds to complete their end of season review before recommitting to the under-performing Super 14 team.

The review will involve a brain-storming session at Ballymore tomorrow night, involving almost every living ex-Reds coach, including John Connolly, Mark McBain, Andrew Slack and Jeff Miller.

Barnes has indicated his preference is to stay at the Reds, but he wants to see what changes the review recommends before he re-signs.

The Reds have finished in the bottom three every year since Barnes made his Super rugby debut against the Waratahs in 2006, which must be a source of frustration for such a great competitor.

"My manager Pete Rogers is just working things out at the moment," Barnes said. "I don't think we should be too far away.

"I'm looking to stay with Queensland ... We are just sorting things out.

"The review process and everything that's happening ... once they clear that up, hopefully I'll get a better picture of where things are going and make a decision."

If Barnes was unhappy with the outcome of the Reds' review, he could always consider an offer from the Western Force.

"There has been a bit of talk, but I'm reasonably happy where I am at the moment," Barnes said.

Queensland Rugby Union chairman Peter Lewis said Barnes had been heavily involved in the review process.

"Berrick is in the leadership group. He is a smart young man. He is keen to see that if we make any changes, they are the right changes," Lewis said.

"He has been very much part of the process."

Lewis said the Reds wanted to tap into the rugby intelligence of the team's past coaches at the meeting at Ballymore tomorrow night. "They have a lot of intellectual firepower to contribute, but there is no infrastructure to get them involved," Lewis said.

"It's crazy if we don't put some structures around them so their ideas can be funnelled to Queensland more formally."

While the Reds have failed to deliver, Barnes has enjoyed more success playing for the Wallabies. The kicking game of Barnes and five-eighth Matt Giteau was a feature of the Wallabies' 31-8 win against Italy in Canberra last Saturday night.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans began to develop a strategy based on playing for field position last year, but the players are executing the game plan much better this season.

"One of the things that has been pretty pleasing the last two weeks has been our kicking game," Barnes said.

"We've put ourselves in good positions of the field and we've limited the amount of time they've had down our end through our kicking game.

"That's been very pleasing. It just goes to show the practice we are doing. From nine to 15 everyone has been able to contribute in some way, shape or form in that aspect of the game.

"It's simple football, really. If you keep grinding sides out, you keep putting them back in their own half -- in the corners -- you build pressure.

"I definitely don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. If you can do that to the other side, it is definitely going to turn the screws."

Barnes said the cold, slippery conditions in Canberra also contributed to the Wallabies kicking the ball 37 times in general play.

"We are using the ball when we can," Barnes said. "In those conditions if you tried to run the ball from your own half, you were always going to make an error after two or three phases.

"That's why it wasn't such a flowing game. It was a cake of soap out there for a lot of it.

"We did use some ball. Our first phase set piece was pretty good."

what? No Eddie Jones?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why do they need a committee?

Get the fat f*cks fit and playing rugby game plan that includes tackling and going forward before sending it to the wings.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Morgan T made some sort of comment in the last club rugby podcast about Hardman waiting for the outcome as well and the talk was about season restructure and how they prepare etc. Perhaps the high number of injuries is a result of too hard a training towards the tail of the season????

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Morgan T made some sort of comment in the last club rugby podcast about Hardman waiting for the outcome as well and the talk was about season restructure and how they prepare etc. Perhaps the high number of injuries is a result of too hard a training towards the tail of the season????

Didn't Deans bring his fitness coach with him?

Surely he can have a part time consulting job in December/January. The Reds need an attitude adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.