• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Reds 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Morgan T was on the latest ruggamatrix podcast and mentioned he's doing a Reds one now with Laurie Weeks, via Triple M. I can't find it. Anyone have any links? Know anything about it?

U

Utility Back

Biffo said:
From the Courier-Mail web site. Andrew Slack interviewing Peter Lewis:

Slack: Queensland rugby enjoyed 25 years of enormous success, but the first decade of the 21st century has seen extremely lean pickings. Is there a realistic time line on when fans could expect to again get any consistent joy?

Lewis: Finals next year, grand finalist in 2011, a World Cup year where Queenslanders will dominate the Wallabies squad.

Slack: Are you serious?

Lewis: Absolutely.

Is any comment needed?

Could this have been the greatest/gutsiest prediction in Sports histrory?!?
mind you it hasn't happened yet and ive proabably just killed us all s.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Noddy said:
Morgan T was on the latest ruggamatrix podcast and mentioned he's doing a Reds one now with Laurie Weeks, via Triple M. I can't find it. Anyone have any links? Know anything about it?
I heard that and couldn't find the link either.
I don't think Morgan did his selection chances much good during the interview

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Conor said:
Biffo said:

Slack: Queensland rugby enjoyed 25 years of enormous success, but the first decade of the 21st century has seen extremely lean pickings. Is there a realistic time line on when fans could expect to again get any consistent joy?

Lewis: Finals next year, grand finalist in 2011, a World Cup year where Queenslanders will dominate the Wallabies squad.

Is any comment needed?

Could this have been the greatest/gutsiest prediction in Sports histrory?!?
mind you it hasn't happened yet and ive proabably just killed us all s.

brilliant.

T

TOCC

TOCC said:
actually, i forgot to mention that one thing that does concern me about quade, i believe his contract is up for renewal at the end of 2010. He has become very good friends with Pocock and O'Connor, they have been seen all over the country and visiting other locations together(outside of wallaby commitments).j

I think we may find the Western Force persue him very hard in 2010 :(
predict away young TOCC

T

TOCC

TOCC said:
I think QLD has the right forwards there, they just havent been trained properly the last few years...

In the prop department, QLD are really the darkhorse, you have guys like Holmes who should really be hitting his prime in 2010, Weeks and Edwards have proved themselves competent additions, but IMO the real excitment lays younger blokes like Ben Daley, James Slipper and Paul Alo-Emile. Slipper and Alo-Emile might have a couple more years of development ahead of them, but they are surely ones to keep a eye on.

Hooker, i suppose its been done to death, 2010 will surely be the last of Hardman, QLD really need either Fainga'a or Hanson to step up, i think McKenzie might be able to really help out here.

Locks, Horwill is the mainstay and the choice is who will partner him, Van 'benjamin button' humphries who is looking fitter then ever, or somone younger like Byrnes or Simmons.

Blindside is a hard one, Luafutu, Tomeki and Higginbotham are all capable of filling that spot, Higgintbotham showed real potential in 2009, if he continues his upward development he will be on the wallaby bench in 2010.

Braid and Houston sit relatively unchallenged, i which there wer competition for these spots but its a real weak link in the Reds pack, maybe one of the younger blokes like Shaw or Shatz might get some runs, but they arent yet capable of starting.

not to bad

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Noddy said:
I don't think I'd bother with Braid. Happy enough with Shaw I guess, as long as we get Rocky and keep MMM.

Hooker is the spot for me. We need a test hooker. Who's available? Bismark? Would love him. Regan? Bruno? Hore?

Hardmans gone you would think, and I just think we lack depth at hooker, such a vital position. To get a test vet to harden up Hanson and Fainga'a would be immense.

:frans

T

TOCC

Gagger said:
I've been misrepresented

looks like a few times

Gagger said:
Just got back from a week's hols, and FARK!

I might not feel like this if I were a QLDer, but I'm with Scarfie on this actually being better for Aussie rugby overall.

Does anyone seriously think the Reds are going to make even the top half of the S14 in the next 2-3 years, let alone the finals? NONE of the 3N have enough international level cattle to spread around all their teams (look at the Highlanders, Cheeters, etc) and we feel this more acutely for well documented reasons.

This strengthens the chance of us having two teams in the finals, rather than two just missing out and the other two coming no-where anyway.

For Berrick, I think it's harsh to blame him. He's a professional sportsman. Is he supposed to watch the rest of the Aussie backline form a super team at ACT while he plays the happy loser again?

I can't begin to fathom the amateur hokiness at the top of the QRU, but an old boys club of ex-players taking over doesn't fill me with confidence.

And as for re-building a team around BBQ footy rather than a solid forward pack......surely this is mistake 1a) in rugby coaching 101?

I seriously feel for you guys.

however, in the same thread i believe i also said rugby is fucked and i doubt i will watch any in 2010... all in the heat of the moment

U

Utility Back

Is any comment needed?

I showed this at the end of last year aswell but it stuck out in my memory so COME ON!! How fucking unreal is this article in hindsight!! Just go have a look at page 2 of this thread to see all the piss taking it copped! As well as this http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/ajokersayswhat-peter-lewis/ and this http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/it-costs-reds-to-play-by-rules/story-e6frep5o-1225718432949 and the comments included.

Haha, Gags, Biff and Gnostic, not trying to show anyone up because we all thought the same thing at the time! But it just goes to show the miracles our little game can throw up and never a team should be discounted.

Its over a week later and its still effing unreal the QLD are SUPER RUGBY CHAMPIONS!................and this makes me happy.
My GF swore she has never seen such happy drunkeness in my eyes as she did last saturday night. Pretty sure she was jealous actually.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I showed this at the end of last year aswell but it stuck out in my memory so COME ON!! How fucking unreal is this article in hindsight!! Just go have a look at page 2 of this thread to see all the piss taking it copped! As well as this http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/ajokersayswhat-peter-lewis/ and this http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/it-costs-reds-to-play-by-rules/story-e6frep5o-1225718432949 and the comments included.

Haha, Gags, Biff and Gnostic, not trying to show anyone up because we all thought the same thing at the time! But it just goes to show the miracles our little game can throw up and never a team should be discounted.

Its over a week later and its still effing unreal the QLD are SUPER RUGBY CHAMPIONS!................and this makes me happy.
My GF swore she has never seen such happy drunkeness in my eyes as she did last saturday night. Pretty sure she was jealous actually.

UB, we owe you, with these reminders of doom prediction - from many esteemed quarters - for the poor QLD Reds from only 15 months back!

As you say, it's fantastic what changed rugby management and superior coaching can achieve (albeit with the right players) in, what, less than 18 months. Confirms a long-standing view of mine that few commentators upon Aus rugby appreciate or recognise the critical importance of excellent code management - business and senior coaching-wise - upon the ultimate outcomes on the playing field.

And, of course, the tragic irony for the Tahs is that BB, through a poor 2010 season and now serious injury, has really delivered very little for them, yet his 2009 departure from QLD was the catalytical dam-breaker that has indirectly led to the Reds' conquest-of-all in 2011.

PS: This entire story - and the seeming consensus in late 2009/early 2010 that the Reds would struggle for years and years thereafter - should give immense and credible hope to the Brumbies and, in a different way, Rebels fans too. Good management overall, excellence in coaching, the right culture, and just a small number of gifted players, and in 2 years or even less, the whole world can change.

T

TOCC

one of these posts popped up accidentally when i was searching, read back through a few of them...
Id forgotten how 'end of the world' it was when Berrick Barnes signed with the Tahs lol

its no lie that australian rugby needs QLD to be strong for the game in Australia to be strong..

QLD vs NSW used to be the biggest non-test match event on the calender, now admittedly from a NSW perspective i imagine it would rate only slightly higher then the Cheetahs. Even from a QLD perspective, the realisation that QLD will probably lose is enough to put you off watching it. As a QLDer it makes me feel sick to watch any QLD side lose to a NSW side.

Now it may be to early to predict a new dawn since the blood stained sunset is still vividly clear, but QLD has gutted the coaching and managment roles and in my opinion installed people who have the right credentials to take QLD forward. Losing Barnes whilst extremely painful could turn out to be a defining event in Reds history, will the 29th Jul 2009 be acknowledged as the day which made QLD wake up and realise its time to get serious?

Phil Mooney should be acknowledged for the work he did in developing the players at the Reds, he developed a level of maturity which wasnt there before, he built a solid core of players all whilst in the face of adversity and without much support. In saying that, Phil Mooney's 'nice guy approach' might be suited to the 18 and 19yr olds that littlered the Reds squad 2 years ago, but i think it requires a more hard nosed approach from Ewen McKenzie to now take these players to the next level.

i think the appointment of Carmichael is a very good thing, for once a position within the QRU comes without any baggage, no old school links or questionable motives, he is purely there for his ability as a sports administrator.

He will be able to make decisions without the influence of others withing the rugby community, this is a good step forward for the Reds.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26215635-5003411,00.html

Whilst Dirk Spits may have been better on the rehabiliation side of things, he wasnt very good at the fitness and conditioning side of things.

I don't think Lucas has a place due to his lack of attacking flare. A fly half like him is not fit for Super 14. I think he is certainly a better halfback than Kingi, and was unlucky to miss out on a spot there. Hopefully Melbourne makes a calling for him as I think he is a top quality Half Back, just not a Fly Half. I do hope to be proven wrong on this occasions.
Not sure if you still stand by this argument Chief, he did pretty dam well against the Chiefs though... no pun intended
there is obviously academy players like Kingi, Lance, Schatz etc who are targets as well, but if we look through the list and work out options:

Rodney Davies - worth keeping, depending on this year's form.
Robert Simmons - may have to keep with Van retiring, but be worth getting an import in at this position
James Hanson - want to keep.
Quade Cooper - want to keep.
Ben Lucas - want to keep, but could see leaving. One of he or Kingi must be kept.
Poutasi Vaiofiso Tuasivi Luafutu - I like him, but Schatz is probably a better option.
Brando Vaalu - dead weight in my eyes. One of the young schoolboy flyers? Simon Morahan or Kimami Sitauti?
Saia Fainga'a - see ya'. Will they groom Albert Anae? Will Adam Freier join up for a season or two with his old mate Link (and Morgan?)
Anthony Fainga'a - wouldn't mind keeping him, depending on this year. Otherwise he'll make room for Berrick's return.
Jack Kennedy - James Slipper to take his place.
Scott Higginbotham - would like to keep him.
Laurie Weeks - would like to keep him.
Dayna Edwards - would like to keep him, but could see him leaving.
Ezra Taylor - meh. Let's see how the year pans out. Ed Quirk is waiting in the wings.
Peter Hynes - want to keep him.
Morgan Turinui - want to keep him, but could see him leaving. Mitchell's getting homesick apparently.
Adam Byrnes - don't mind him. Can't lose all our locks. Perhaps Vickers back home for a year or two?
Sean Hardman - see ya'. Need another hooker, an import?
Van Humphries - see ya'. Shees, needing hookers and locks hey?
Daniel Braid - see ya'. Andrew Shaw to get his contract
Blair Connor - hope to see his potential come through, but plenty of young flyers around. Sitauti or Morahan.

Pretty good analysis there by Reg

locks are like hens teeth in australian rugby. we can't just throw away Rob Simmonds the bloke is a monster and is still very young. Lock need time to develope - hence the only reason we brought back Van Humpries. All of the rest I agree with.

Another problem though is where do we find additional locks, because Byrnes is nothing more than adequate either.

In the case of Saaia Faainga - I think we should hold onto him. He is still very very young for starting hooker and has a heap of caps compared to others of his vintage. He was an outstanding schoolboy for ACT in a year that ACT competed neck and neck with both QLD and NSW.
Tranquility's reply to suggestions that Simmons should be cut from the squad

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Is any comment needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.