• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Reds 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

did you get out to the training session today did you Juan?

Did you see how some of the other guys looked, like is Houston carrying around the christmas turkey in his stomach still?

I like the idea of Morahan at fullback, if of course he plays well there, but on top of that it allows the Reds to play the other players where they are suited.

9. Genia
10. Lucas
11. Chambers
12. Cooper
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Morahan

apart from questions marks over Chambers and Morahan, thats probably one of the best backlines QLD have been able to produce in recent years, when you factor in the added maturity of players like Genia, Cooper and Ioane. Of course it would have been better if Barnes were there, but ay, shit happens.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I did get there TOCC and sorry to disappoint you but Leroy has had some problem with knee cartridge and didn't train today, not sure what that means for the start of the season.

Training this year is far more edgy than last year with the opposed stuff being really quite opposed rather than last year sort of "wet lettuce" opposed.

T

tranquility

there has been talk for quite some time that although lucas does not have the running game or bag of tricks that quade has at his disposal, the theory was that lucas was by far the better organiser between the two. however this could never be put in practise becasue barnes was taking up the 12 spot.

lucas is a class player, who would be in the match day 22 more often than not this year. he will go well at 9, 10 or 12.

R

Redsfan

TOCC, I'd rather:

9. Genia
10. Lucas
11. Hynes
12. Cooper
13. Turinui
14. Ioane
15. Morahan

20. Kingi
21. Fainga'a
22. Chambers
:thumb

C

chief

Cut Lucas all together, he's not a Super 14 Flyhalf. Maybe have him as the utility reserve.

I'd like

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Chambers
12. Turunui
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Morahan

G

Geronimo

Chief, did you happen to read my ealier post as you seem to have a problem with Lucas. Could you please outline your issues as I along with other posters believe that he can play. I have met him and a good mate of mine knows him well, he seems like a good bloke and he can play. Have you played against him?

U

Utility Back

Yeah i definetely prefer lucas in there, i reckon he had a great season 08, he played great for aus a at flyhalf until injured.
09 was quiet but he did keep out genia for a bit until injury but still played on when needed which showed tremendous gutso, something the reds need to keep.

my backline for the reds should then look like
9.Genia
10. Quade
11. Ioane/chambers
12. Turunui
13.Chambers/Ioane
14.Hynes
15. Lucas

I reckon i might just prefer ioane on the wing, with a license to roam in attack so he can pop up anywhere. give chambers a run at 13 in the trials to see how he goes but having watched him a 13 in his schoold days i though he was great. but that was as a school boy not super 14, but as i said, give it a go in the trial first.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Lucas would have been a better option to go on the Spring tour than Kingi. While I think both have a great future in the game Lucas is much more likely to be of value in 2011.

Here is some footage of the 2007 Brisbane GF. From memory Lucas only missed one shot a goal, after his first try, and was almost taken off after being shoulder charged setting up the second try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUkH7jhqwdY

B

Boomy

Personally would like to see Lucas at #15, in the Cory Jane mold. I think (hope) he'll get the breakthrough he deserves either this year or next. Maybe Melbourne is a calling card?

G

Geronimo

Boomy said:
Personally would like to see Lucas at #15, in the Cory Jane mold. I think (hope) he'll get the breakthrough he deserves either this year or next. Maybe Melbourne is a calling card?

That is exactly what worries me. And my concerns extend much further than just Ben Lucas. Quirk, Hansen Toua etc will all come into the Victorian picture at some stage.

T

TOCC

Like Jets has already pointed out Lucas does have quite a lot of experience at 5/8, in fact when he plays for Sunnybank he usually plays at 5/8, in years gone past it was because Nic Berry was the halfback, but also now because Richard Kingi is the halfback.

T

tranquility

i hope chambers is a good buy. as a schoolboy he did not even make Queensland schoolboys in year 12, and pocock served him in the centres in the game i saw. however the talk always was that he was a better league player and he looked very good for the storm, lets just hope he can bring some of that professionalism with him from down south.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Chambers was in the Qld II team but I can't remember his play and wrote no programme notes about him.

Interesting who was in the Qld I Schools team that year (2005). They included Pocock, Genia, Lucas plus Cooper in the reserves (he still had another year to go at school.

Interesting also was the name of another Qld I reserve (literally - it's another version) - Nemani Nasiganiyavi.

Being picked for Qld II is not the end of the world. Nick Cummins turned out OK - and Luke McClean ended up playing well enough for Italy - and would walk into a Melbourne team if a magic wand could be waved.

B

Boomy

Geronimo said:
Boomy said:

That is exactly what worries me. And my concerns extend much further than just Ben Lucas. Quirk, Hansen Toua etc will all come into the Victorian picture at some stage.

Money talks.

C

chief

I don't think Lucas has a place due to his lack of attacking flare. A fly half like him is not fit for Super 14. I think he is certainly a better halfback than Kingi, and was unlucky to miss out on a spot there. Hopefully Melbourne makes a calling for him as I think he is a top quality Half Back, just not a Fly Half. I do hope to be proven wrong on this occasions.

T

TOCC

i gotta be honest chief im not real sure how you have come to the conclusion that Lucas lacks attacking flare, im not even sure what 'attacking flare' means for a 5/8, does attacking flare relate to how often he attacks the line, or how many steps and dummy's he does a game? From what ive seen he has avery all round game, he has a pretty good pass, he doesnt mind to attack the line, his good in support play and his kicking game is quite solid as well.

IMO he is a better 5/8 then halfback, the only reason he was forced into the halfback position was because QLD had Barnes and Cooper already in the 5/8 position but no credible halfback.

S

straightshooter

Seems like all the chat is about the blokes who have to wear sunscreen and big floppy hats (the backs) - everyone knows that a team has to be incredibly lucky to win games without a dominant bunch of forwards to give "the flashies" some room to weave their magic.
Reds have some old hardheads (not many) and some talented young men desperate to get their opportunity BUT is that enough - suppose it comes down to hunger and mongrel

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
TOCC

Agree with all of that.

We don't get to see Lucas down here in Sydney playing club rugby; so I can't judge him on 2009 club form, but from what saw from him for the Aces in 2007 and for Oz A in 2008, you are right on the money.

He looks like a natural flyhalf of the Noddy type just as his little brother looks like a natural 9. He is a brave rooster too.

I think hell go well in the S14 as a 10, and I hope he does.

C

chief

TOCC said:
i gotta be honest chief im not real sure how you have come to the conclusion that Lucas lacks attacking flare, im not even sure what 'attacking flare' means for a 5/8, does attacking flare relate to how often he attacks the line, or how many steps and dummy's he does a game? From what ive seen he has avery all round game, he has a pretty good pass, he doesnt mind to attack the line, his good in support play and his kicking game is quite solid as well.

IMO he is a better 5/8 then halfback, the only reason he was forced into the halfback position was because QLD had Barnes and Cooper already in the 5/8 position but no credible halfback.

Ill be honest, I saw him play two games at Fly Half at schoolboy level, and that I think was the last of it. As well as one aces game. Maybe they were just his dodgy games, or maybe it was because Lucas had a pack that was less dominant. To be honest, I thought he took the ball up to the next phase a little too much. Maybe it was just because at schoolboy level when playing at Terrace he had less faith in his team mates, and at the Aces, his team completely sucked, so I really think I can disregard that perfromance which I saw. I will say though he has a quality boot, that could come in handy. I don't like to be wrong, but I certainly hope I am, and from what it is shaping up like from the reports from here, it sounds like wrong I will be.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Therefore your opinion on Lucas was pretty strong given the small sample.

Can't say that I have never done that myself though.

Heads up for 'fessing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.