• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Reds 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
chief said:
I think Logan needs a Premier Rugby side first. Definitely not worthy of a big stadium like that. Skilled Park is nearby. Read in the paper that the Roar wants to make the move today, surely a redevelopment would come out of it particurly if a World Cup is coming our way.
Logan want a mungo team, so that is why they want a ground

C

chief

Logan should get a Premier Rugby team within 5 years. I think the local council will throw a few million to develop their current grounds, say some changing facilities and some crappy seating. Similar to the Norths QUT and Brothers set up.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeah, that's Tim Walsh. It's been mentioned elsewhere he's been dragooned into the Reds squad as cover for the 10 spot.

Tim's travelled the world playing rugby and Brisbane's just another spot on the map. Last year I corresponded with one of the English clubs where he played while compiling my rugby troubadors list; they spoke very highly of him and would be glad to have him back. Have passport, will travel. Even to Brisbane.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Logan City have been granted a major State Government grant and are relocating to new fields and clubhouses at Griffith University. I think they are planning to move there later this year or early in 2011. As far as Logan having a Premier team I think they are still a few years off. One of the major requirements for the QRU for entry into the premier competition is playing numbers. Logan like a few other Brisbane clubs is struggling to field colts teams and some of their participation numbers are down.
That's definitely Tim Walsh he's a QLD boy. Played 1st Grade (Premiers) for Easts and Wests in his younger days from memory. Started out as fullback and I think he kicked a winning field goal from about 45m to win an U/19's test against the All Blacks.

T

TOCC

Also, ive heard some rumours that Ben Tapui will be moving to Sunnybank in 2010, possibly as a result of the Sunnybank Community Centre opening there check book. I wonder if his brother Rex Tapui comes as a package deal, i know he is back in Brissie these days, his actually hoping that the Melbourne team will open up some opportunities for him.

chief said:
I think Logan needs a Premier Rugby side first. Definitely not worthy of a big stadium like that. Skilled Park is nearby. Read in the paper that the Roar wants to make the move today, surely a redevelopment would come out of it particurly if a World Cup is coming our way.

um no, Skilled Park is not nearby, its in another city, in fact its twice the distance to reach Skilled Park from Logan then it is to reach Suncorp Stadium.. It would be like me saying that Pine Rivers is just around the corner from the Sunshine Coast

and yes like Running Rugby has already pointed out, Logan are moving into new $3million facilities at the end of 2010, 2 story club house, kiosk, 3 playing fields. Logan Rugby are aiming at entry into Premier Grade, but like Running Rugby also said, the issue is currently playing numbers, colts specfically. At the moment its a bit of a double edged sword, many good juniors move to Sunnybank for Colts due to the better representative pathways. They need to stem this flow to put forward some good colts teams, but they cant really stop it until they get a premier grade side.

Logan Rugby are aiming for 2011, but understand that there are also other areas like Redlands(2012), Townsvilel(2011) and Darling Downs(2011) also trying to gain entry and not everyone will fit.

Logan_Rugby_Club_plans2.jpg

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Must only take, what 35mins to get from Logan to Robina and only 20mins from Logan to Paddington. Pretty easy to get to both locations from there.

C

chief

If QLD were to get another stadium it would be to make a bigger one to accommodate for high profile Rugby Union matches, Broncos Finals, possible NRL Grand Final, and Football World Cup. That is the only way a new stadium would be built. Logan is a bit more than a 20 minute drive probably reaches about 30. Unless I go a different way to you.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Hey, in peak hour it can reach 45.

Maybe it is the speed we go that is the difference. And of course, when I say logan I just mean waving as I go by on the highway, not actually stopping somewhere there.

T

TOCC

chief said:
If QLD were to get another stadium it would be to make a bigger one to accommodate for high profile Rugby Union matches, Broncos Finals, possible NRL Grand Final, and Football World Cup. That is the only way a new stadium would be built. Logan is a bit more than a 20 minute drive probably reaches about 30. Unless I go a different way to you.

actually i disagree, If anything Suncorp Stadium will be expanded to accomodate those 'higher profile' matches that you mention, whilst a smaller boutique stadium, akin to Skilled Park could be built in the western(ipswich) or southern(logan) corridor.

but we are digressing here, back to the point

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That is right, we are never going to have a large stadium built in Logan, and we are a long way off having even a small stadium built there. Logan council are one of the least progressive in SE Qld.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
TOCC said:
chief said:

actually i disagree, If anything Suncorp Stadium will be expanded to accomodate those 'higher profile' matches that you mention, whilst a smaller boutique stadium, akin to Skilled Park could be built in the western(ipswich) or southern(logan) corridor.

but we are digressing here, back to the point
Lang park are already looking at expanding to 60,001+ people, this allows them World Cup Soccer games if it comes here and will be funded federally as the country needs a certain number of grounds with 60k+ capacity.

I think there is a new stadium being built at Kawana on the sunny coast at the moment, but it is quite small

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the sunny coast one won't be anything for a while.

fantastic playing surface (well it was last time I saw), but political bickering has put paid to a stadium. It was only ever going to be about 3000 fixed with capability to bring in a shit load of temporary seating, which is very costly.

C

chief

Stockland Park at Kawana can hold 12,000. They hope within 5-10 years they can make it a 25,000 Stadium.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, but that 12,000 is sitting on a grassy hill.

No way they will get 25,000 unless they get an NRL team or the like.

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
yeah, but that 12,000 is sitting on a grassy hill.

No way they will get 25,000 unless they get an NRL team or the like.

correct, and thats 12'000 sitting on a oval grassy hill, we all know how good ovals are for watching rugby

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Lee Grant said:
The Brumbies have only 29 listed - anybody know if they are still hiring?

not sure there, they've just brought in John Ulugia on a short term contract as three props (Jerry Y, Alexander and Owen from the Academy) have all been injured this week.

quick update from the horsie's mouth(piece). I asked about the 29 man squad. Apparently it was finalised with Andrew Smith signed. Then Kimlin was injured, so they signed Googy. Now Alexander's injured so they sign Uluglia.

I guess the theory is (as proved constantly by the Reds), that you are going to get injuries. Most likely serious injuries, so financially you're better off going with a smaller squad knowing you will have to bring in players rather than having 33 in the squad and still having to bring in players.

It killed the Reds (well another nail so to speak) a few years ago when they had their 33 contracted players, got a bunch of injuries (who they still had to pay) and then ended up having to contract the replacement players as well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that Noddy - so they've got 29 listed now including Harrison. Add Ulugia and you have 30. I wish they would list their pro Academy players.

Yeah - it's a fine balancing act. The trick is to have players in your professional academy (who get about half the pay of a S14 player, give or take) especially in key positions like hooker (if you have only 2 in the main squad), scrummie (ditto) and prop. It would be good to have a flyhalf in there as well but most of the good ones in Oz have a S14 berth already.

The current professional Academies of all 4 Oz S14 teams will be under siege from Melbourne - as they should be.

The best 2010 schoolboys will find themselves sought after too. There will be a few more pro Academy spots offered to this years boys; not only because there is another employer but because the 4 existing S14 teams will be warehousing as a defence. Melbourne will probably nab a few - I doubt if lads will leave home - and mum's cooking -and sign up for Melbourne for an amateur Academy gig; though you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.