• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Coopers Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
While we're on the QC (Quade Cooper) subject here, I get feeling that Quade will be off to the Rebels next year! All his mates are there and with Cipriani already back in Engerland, they'll be looking for a 10?

Hope it doesn't go that way but he does seem to be down there quite a bit lately so wouldn't be surprised...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Ummm, maybe. Don't anyone underestimate for one minute the potential uncertainty-to-negative impact on the key Reds players of RG coming to the Reds next year, with no track record and less than 2 years in each of his Aus roles. The Force boys are spitting and feeling betrayed and there's many matey connections Brisbane<>Perth between these teams.

As always, the Aus rugby media have lapped up unquestioning the PR lines coming out of Brisbane and Link is always very persuasive when he needs to be, but there is more to this, much more, than cuddles and 'strategic visions and long-term planning'.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You are clearly unhappy with the pending arrival of RG next year.
However, this is merely another example of the reds being on the front foot.
Succession planning is normally a cluster fuck in most organisations, particularly sporting organisations. Shouldn't this be applauded?
I think RG has done a good job with the cattle he has to work with at the Force.The players are upset that he is leaving, so that has to be a good sign?
There are a number of Reds players have have been exposed to him with his 2 years at the Wobs, their opinion of all Wobs coaching staff would be well known to all at the reds.
it's not like he is an unknown quantity to the decision makers at Reds HQ.
Bear in mind he will have "training wheels" with link overseeing him.
I pity the Force supporters, RG preferring a quasi supporting role over the no 1 job in WA is hardly an endorsement of the future of rugby in WA.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't get this line that Rg will have training wheels. What's the point of having a coach if in fact he isn't allowed to coach?

The problem with forward planning is, you can't judge it till it happens, I'm not sure if anyone in QLD would have applauded the appointment of Richard Graham befor eye actually was, now that some time has passed it seems all of a sudden the guy is better than any record he has had shows. Good luck to him, but it's a bit naive to believe this is some sort of master stroke at the minute.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Succession planning is normally a cluster fuck in most organisations, particularly sporting organisations.

I think its next to impossible to succession plan in sport.
The only successfully managed succession in ARU history was McQueen to Jones: and I am not necessarily saying that anything other than the transition was successfully managed. Reason: McQueen left on top and kind of mid season.
At provincial level you would need to have a couple of top years (as McQueen did in charge of the Wobblies) and, either, somewhere to go or a longing for retirement. You would need to unopposed as wallaby coach if that was the somewhere to go otherwise the politics could well see you miss out and be unemployed or back to europe.
I actually don't think Link has not done enough to be able to choose the time of his departure. he is the standout choice for the Wobblies at the moment but that could change depending on Deans performance.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good on Quade. One thing that seems consistant through his recovery is he has constantly been contributing to rugby whether it be running opposition at training, taking on extra PR work (doing plenty of the guest commentator work), running the water or just getting amongst the fans as he did with this touch game. That shows tons of passion for what he does in my view.

The other player that can be held in the same vein is Drew Mitchell. His contributions during his recovery have also been a class act.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
i think this was blown out of proportion at first. as long as the doctors ok'd it, otherwise he's a fool - touch would have to be the second worst game to play coming back from a knee injury, behind basketball

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
i think this was blown out of proportion at first. as long as the doctors ok'd it, otherwise he's a fool - touch would have to be the second worst game to play coming back from a knee injury, behind basketball

Word on the street is the Doctor isn't willing for Quade to hit the paddock until a June after his run.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So next week maybe?

No way - I'd aim for off the bench against the Brumbies or against the Rebels at the end of June. Absolutely no need for him to rush into playing the Lions. Give it another month or two (Rebels game) and it'll allow him to do proper contact etc.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
No way - I'd aim for off the bench against the Brumbies or against the Rebels at the end of June. Absolutely no need for him to rush into playing the Lions. Give it another month or two (Rebels game) and it'll allow him to do proper contact etc.

Am I missing something here? I don't remember Quade doing proper contact BEFORE his injury??

game-fishing-2-300x204.jpg

W

What2040

bench this week for QC (Quade Cooper) - supposed to be fit and ready - IMO stupid for him to be run-on

R

ripper868

Quade back and starting this weekend. Probably the best team for him to make his return against. This will boost the crowd numbers on Saturday one would think!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Quade back and starting this weekend. Probably the best team for him to make his return against. This will boost the crowd numbers on Saturday one would think!
Are you sure he's not coming off the bench. That would make more sense.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
St.George Queensland Reds team to face Lions
1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Jake Schatz
7. Liam Gill
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Mike Harris
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Ben Lucas
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Adam Wallace-Harrison
19. Eddie Quirk
20. Nick Frisby
21. Chris F'Sautia
22. Luke Morahan

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/6501/Default.aspx

Mercurial St.George Queensland Reds playmaker Quade Cooper becomes the latest Wallaby star to return to the team from injury after being selected at flyhalf for Saturday’s match against South Africa’s Lions at Suncorp Stadium.
The Wallabies dynamo has been announced in the starting line-up where he will receive crucial minutes on the field in his first outing since suffering a serious ACL injury in the Wallabies’ World Cup Bronze playoff encounter against Wales on October 21, 2011.
His timely inclusion comes in a month where a number of big names have returned to strengthen the side’s finals hopes with the Reds currently riding a wave of momentum following their morale boosting 42-27 victory over the then competition leading Chiefs at the weekend.
The decision to select Cooper in his famed number 10 jersey came after the talented 24-year-old responded positively to a series of tests on Tuesday afternoon at the team’s training session at Ballymore.
His return comes less than seven months after suffering the injury and after a season in which he played an influential role in the Reds 2011 Super Rugby success, where he featured in all 18 games during their campaign, breaking the all-time individual Reds point-scoring record in the process with 228 points.
Cooper said he had done everything possible to prepare for his return and was eager to return to action.
“It has been a long six-plus months on the sideline and I know I’ve done everything I can to tick all the boxes during my rehab and have been as diligent as possible to ensure I am ready to return,” Cooper said.
“Everything which could be done has been done and the rest is now out of my hands. I’ll be going out on Saturday knowing I’ve done everything within my power to be prepared both physically and mentally and it’s now about going out and doing the best that I can for the team.
“It has been special to see all the support I’ve had from fans while I’ve been injured and all their well-wishes just make you more determined to get back out there. They’ve been a real motivator during my rehab and I hope to see them all out at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.”
Reds coach Ewen McKenzie said the team would be lifted by Cooper’s presence.
“There’s no denying Quade has enormous x-factor but for him this match is about getting back out of the field and getting comfortable again within the matchday environment,” McKenzie said.
“It has been a long layoff for him and the next few weeks before our bye will be invaluable as he again finds his feet. Everyone is excited to see him back out there but it’s important we manage him the right way during this period.
“He has been back training with the team for some time now and you can expect him to get better the more match fitness he gains and the more minutes he gets out on the field to refine combinations.”
Cooper’s injection results in talented playmaker Ben Lucas shifting to fullback with Luke Morahan part of a more traditional 4-3 split on the bench which also includes Nick Frisby and Chris F’Sautia in the backs.
F’Sautia is in line to make his FxPro Super Rugby debut should be called upon after overcoming a hamstring injury that has plagued him since early in the season.
There are two further changes in the front-row with prop Greg Holmes and Saia Fainga'a coming into the starting XV in a straight swap for Ben Daley and James Hanson who move back to the bench.
St.George Queensland Reds team to face Lions
1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Jake Schatz
7. Liam Gill
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane