• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rugby Spirit

Lion, when you speak about the best back in the competition I presume you are speaking about the new guy at Ipswich Rangers, it is amazing what one good player can do, he has changed that team from a Div two team into a top 3 Div one team. The selectors should bend the rules and get that boy playing in the green team. there chances of winning will quadruple if he was to play, it is a shame he arrived just after selection time.

Big call on one player making "headlines" in Division 2, I believe the gap between U13 Div 1 "Teams" and U13 Div 2 "Teams" is very BIG, not talking about individual players mind you just talking about teams, reason for this is that for a "team" to succeed at the highest level they need more than one superstar they need others to do their job really well and then some.

Not sure if Ipswich won a game in Div 1 but they opted to drop to Div 2 I believe they are now winning games against Div 2 "Teams".....

Peterparker

Frank Row (1)
Lion, I am referring to the GPS Blue v Souths game on Sunday. I make comment on the Green side from the eyes of a Souths supporter. Our seven from Souths completely outplayed the seven from GPS on the weekend. You made comment that the seven from Green is the best in his position in the division 1 competition. If he is the same seven that played in the GPS side, from my view point he was the weak link in a very strong forward pack. Judging by your previous comments, this is no different than calling a player a fringe player and not a starting player. I commented on what I have seen in the two games between these sides this year and the two last year. No the seven from Souths is not my son. I am passing an unbiased view on a comment you posted.

R

Rugby Spirit

Good for you

But the cynic in me would say that 2/3rds of the City spots are already taken

G.O seems like you know this cohort very well...

Can you predict a U13 City team? No names?

1. Riverside
2. GPS

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I
PP, Sorry I am confused are you talking about GPS Green U13
or the Green team in the State Champs.

The 3 from GPS was ill on the day of the trial. This 6 from GPS was selected in the squad but has pulled out with a soar shoulder he injured playing for Marist.
The 2 is unlucky not to make the side.
I cant comment on other selections as it would be unfair to compare as I don't know the boys selected in front of them.

Your comments about the 7 are a bit out of order for a Junior Rugby blog?
I guess PP felt strongly in his view that was undoubtedly commensurate with the outrageous nature of the original comment

Anyone that is truly impartial and has a clue about the age group could probably think of several others that have better impact than 2 of the 3 that you were talking up initially

Lay off the kool aid man

Q

Quakezone

The word going around the U14's on Monday's training was, the Pink team already have the title wrapped up..very confident.
I think it's really up for grabs, and a few other teams just might put their hand up.

PINK are strong in this region particularly in the backline probably the best at carnival I would say - but this is rep football and with only 3 or 4 sessions to prep a team, most of it will come down to gameplan coaching and combinations

up for grabs, Green and Orange also look strong all round with good club combinations.... Blue have been flying under the radar a bit and not really rated by many, they may surprise

good tough age group this one

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
G.O seems like you know this cohort very well.

Can you predict a U13 City team? No names?

1. Riverside
2. GPS
Predict what they will do or what I reckon ?

They'll likely go for size ahead of skill / ability in the forwards

When I have time later I'll have a stab

R

Rugby Spirit

How about both

1. Riverside QRU - Souths
2. East QRU GPS
3. East QRU East

Any other takers in any age group?
Not sure if its ok to name names in 13s but I would not be comfortable doing that....numbers might be ok if you think they get selected out of position

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Big call on one player making "headlines" in Division 2, I believe the gap between U13 Div 1 "Teams" and U13 Div 2 "Teams" is very BIG, not talking about individual players mind you just talking about teams, reason for this is that for a "team" to succeed at the highest level they need more than one superstar they need others to do their job really well and then some.

Not sure if Ipswich won a game in Div 1 but they opted to drop to Div 2 I believe they are now winning games against Div 2 "Teams"...

Basso's right

This kid would have made a massive difference to Ipswich in the first half of the season

This guy plays on the Rangers in the first half of the season and they are mid table or better and not heading South to Div 2

They smoked Kenmore , leaders of Div 2 , by 40 something points and he and their 8 were basically a wrecking crew with 4 or 5 Div 1 quality supports and the rest fringe Div 1 / Div 2 players.

They smoked Logan last week by 40 points as well , Logan being winners of Div 2 last year and this being commensurate with what the better Div 1 teams smoked Logan by in trials

He is a difference maker between being a bumslaying Div 2 Team and a legit winning Div 1 team

Equal or best outside back in the Comp and who I'll presume lines up for IGS in the GPS season and terrorises most teams

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
How about both

1. Riverside QRU - Souths
2. East QRU GPS
3. East QRU East

Any other takers in any age group?
Not sure if its ok to name names in 13s but I would be comfortable doing that..numbers might be ok if you think they get selected out of position

Nah - Numbers only . Those that know will know

R

Rugby Spirit

Basso's right

This kid would have made a massive difference to Ipswich in the first half of the season

This guy plays on the Rangers in the first half of the season and they are mid table or better and not heading South to Div 2

They smoked Kenmore , leaders of Div 2 , by 40 something points and he and their 8 were basically a wrecking crew with 4 or 5 Div 1 quality supports and the rest fringe Div 1 / Div 2 players.

They smoked Logan last week by 40 points as well , Logan being winners of Div 2 last year and this being commensurate with what the better Div 1 teams smoked Logan by in trials

He is a difference maker between being a bumslaying Div 2 Team and a legit winning Div 1 team

Equal or best outside back in the Comp and who I'll presume lines up for IGS in the GPS season and terrorises most teams

wow must be an awesome player...really rate the #8 although I think he would kill it in the centre's as well....so athletic

Benchwarmer

Frank Nicholson (4)
[/quote]

The new outside back at Rangers has provided previously lacking size & pace in the centre channel.....he run's a good support line - has a good passing game - and is pretty much unstoppable when he gets ball in hand.

The combination between the 8, 13 (new lad), 15 and Wing is really producing some impressive attack - on par with the top end of the Div 1 cohort.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
PINK are strong in this region particularly in the backline probably the best at carnival I would say - but this is rep football and with only 3 or 4 sessions to prep a team, most of it will come down to gameplan coaching and combinations

up for grabs, Green and Orange also look strong all round with good club combinations.. Blue have been flying under the radar a bit and not really rated by many, they may surprise

good tough age group this one
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Pink have missed an opportunity to build a real top team, looking over last years team and the kids they didn't pick this year.
I see several of last years winning team have been moved to other regions, Why?
Don't know, but several of those boys were key players in that team.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)

1. Souths 8
2. Easts 2
3. Easts 3
4. Easts 8 /4
5. GPS 5
6. Easts 12/13/8
7. Easts 7
8. Ipswich 8

Backline and reserves later

This is what I'd go with but Riverside 7 , 13/8 and 2 and 3 would be in the mix and challenge strongly for places

R

Rugby Spirit

Thanks G.O

This is my go... and what I think QRU will select based on form at the carnival...........Both pretty strong teams

1. Souths 8 - QRU Souths 8
2. Riverside 2 - QRU East 1
3. East 3 - QRU - East 3
4. GPS 5 - QRU GPS 5
5. Riverside 8 - QRU East 4/8
6. GPS breakaway 7 I think - QRU Riverside 8
7. East 7 - QRU Riverside 7
8. Ipswich 8 - QRU Ipswich 8
9. Riverside 10 - QRU Souths 9
10. East 10 - QRU East 10
11. Riverside 14 - QRU Riverside 14
12 East 13/8 - QRU Riverside 12
13 Souths 13/9/15 - QRU East 13
14 East 15 - QRU East 11
15 Riverside 12 - QRU Souths 13/9/15

Reserve
East 1
East 2
Riverside 6
Riverside 7
East 11
Ipswich 15
Souths 10

Chris Green

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Pink have missed an opportunity to build a real top team, looking over last years team and the kids they didn't pick this year.
I see several of last years winning team have been moved to other regions, Why?
Don't know, but several of those boys were key players in that team.
Not sure I agree totally with what you are saying, the bulk of the squad is the same squad as the champion Blue team from last year. Some boys drafted into other squads this year due to changing clubs which can only be a good thing, nobody last year rated Blue team at all. Still believe it will be a tight contest in all matches. I sure each team has strike weapon players but it will still come down to coaching and performance of the boys. A big factor this year will be fatigue with boys staying in camp and not getting required rest time.

Q

Quakezone

Not sure I agree totally with what you are saying, the bulk of the squad is the same squad as the champion Blue team from last year. Some boys drafted into other squads this year due to changing clubs which can only be a good thing, nobody last year rated Blue team at all. Still believe it will be a tight contest in all matches. I sure each team has strike weapon players but it will still come down to coaching and performance of the boys. A big factor this year will be fatigue with boys staying in camp and not getting required rest time.

Staying in camp will be a factor on day 2 and 3 and with little time to prepare coaching and player rotations and Management are the key .... at all age levels .... should be interesting and entertaining

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Looks like you can have any number of combinations in the City team and it would still look good. There will definitely be some unlucky players missing out or sitting on the bench. Let's hope it's a fair pick.

I can't see Country putting up much of a fight this year in the 13's. I was at the GC trials and some trainings and besides a couple of flankers (one from Eagles and the other #7 from Nerang), I don't see much else on offer. Nerang's two big boys wont be available, one with an injury and another for financial reasons but let's hope the other country teams can bring some talent to the Champs so the selectors have something to pick from. GC also missing a couple of good looking twin props (correct, there aren't any good looking props, I meant they play well), from the Hogs team who have pulled out - I saw them play a few months ago in a club game and they are a big loss to the GC and possibly Country.

Based on last year's Sunshine Coast team, I remember they had some good speed out wide but once again, if SC and DD can't make much impact in the depleted GC teams, I'm afraid the Country selectors will be scratching their heads. Let's hope however, they can pull some players together and at least make a game of it come City/Country time. The State Champs will be really interesting event to see who steps up, you never know there are always some surprises.

Q

Quakezone

Thanks G.O

This is my go. and what I think QRU will select based on form at the carnival.....Both pretty strong teams

1. Souths 8 - QRU Souths 8
2. Riverside 2 - QRU East 1
3. East 3 - QRU - East 3
4. GPS 5 - QRU GPS 5
5. Riverside 8 - QRU East 4/8
6. GPS breakaway 7 I think - QRU Riverside 8
7. East 7 - QRU Riverside 7
8. Ipswich 8 - QRU Ipswich 8
9. Riverside 10 - QRU Souths 9
10. East 10 - QRU East 10
11. Riverside 14 - QRU Riverside 14
12 East 13/8 - QRU Riverside 12
13 Souths 13/9/15 - QRU East 13
14 East 15 - QRU East 11
15 Riverside 12 - QRU Souths 13/9/15

Reserve
East 1
East 2
Riverside 6
Riverside 7
East 11
Ipswich 15
Souths 10

I know this age group pretty well RS and your QRU prediction looks like a very strong side with strong defenders with size and pace - That 10,12,13 channel is quite strong defensively and have the skill speed and evasivness to get that back 3 firing your QRU loosies have athletism and are strong over the ball...strong team all round I think...

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Correct if I'm wrong, but 3 of the kids not selected in Pink are Qld City rep players, I'm guessing they must of went ok last year to make it in?
I'm thinking that's a bit strange they are now in other regions/ teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.