• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Season kicking off just around the corner. Here's a new recruitment tool from Sunnybank.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
With the Brisbane comp running on Sundays and GC on Saturdays... does anyone know if it's possible to be playing in both?

I guess it would only work if training days don't clash, but are there any rules stating that a boy can only play in one or the other?

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
With the Brisbane comp running on Sundays and GC on Saturdays. does anyone know if it's possible to be playing in both?

I guess it would only work if training days don't clash, but are there any rules stating that a boy can only play in one or the other?

My understanding is that they are separate Associations and that there should be no restrictions on playing in both.
Several guys last year played for both Sunnybank in Bris comp and for Palmy in GC comp. Some opposition parents complained but mainly 'cause the kids had talent.
The GC U16 comp disintegrated once GPS rugby started in July last year and a combined GC side then played in Bris comp.
Unless you were a rugby nut though I wouldn't recommend playing both comps.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You would require a transfer to be filled out and signed between games. I pretty sure you wont get that done on the weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jets, that's a brilliant video. Congrats to you and the team.

In other news, has it been reported anywhere about this $200 per club subsidy to the ARU? I've heard it twice in 24 hours from informal sources, at least one of which is credible.

Anyone else?

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Can you believe the timing of the ARU to impose this cost on each team, huge sign on days this weekend for all BJRU clubs. Clubs would have done budgets and set annual registration fees weeks ago with no knowledge of this extra cost. Herbert from GPS is reported as saying it will cost their juniors $21,500. How do they differentiate from an U6 team with 6 players to an U17 team of 25 players? Have the ARU bean counters thought about this, probably not. It will greatly disadvantage the biggest clubs (Easts, GPS and Brothers) with their large number of U6,7 and 8 teams. I would suggest there may be a revolt in junior club land against the ARU.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know I've already paid my rego fees for my three boys. Its expensive enough already but another $20 per kid potentially, pushes those fees pretty high.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Seems odd to me that the youngest players are hit the hardest. I'm really struggling to see any benefit in my kids playing junior rugby, apart from the super coach (@RugbyReg). The ARU seem to want to make it harder for themselves by pushing players away when they should be making it easier on families to get behind the game.

Any extra funds they suck out of me will be less money I'll spend on the game. This is from someone who works in the sport.

I can go to the league club down the road and save myself $100 a season. The AFL Club is even cheaper.

One idea that was suggested to me was that they should have a player levy and they could use this to count participation. Would be an interesting test on their record participation numbers.

And I don't want to hear about the ARU throwing money at players, especially form another code. If they are so short of money they need to be cutting spending. (I know that they have a figure they have to spend on players through the CBA but it's not a good look when Under 6 players have to pay more to play).

Also move the head office away from St Leonards. It must cost them a mint to be based there. They'd be better off find a cheap office block in the suburbs and saving themselves a fortune.

I'm starting to think that Can do Campbell might be the man for the ARU. He knows how to save a dollar. Pulver has done ok but this isn't a great idea unless they come out with some major bonus for the players (an insurance scheme that actually does something for the players if the get hurt, like pay ALL the bills).

I'm a little angry about this, especially the timing of it. It's been compounded by the fact I haven't had a drink all January. Bring on tomorrow so I can drown my sorrows.

Rant over

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Surely the player levy has nothing to do with a potential bailout of the Waratahs? How many Qlders would be happy seeing their money going directly to bail out those Roosters. My guess is zero.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Surely the player levy has nothing to do with a potential bailout of the Waratahs? How many Qlders would be happy seeing their money going directly to bail out those Roosters. My guess is zero.

Who said it did? It's the ARU trying to fix up it's finances and the kids (and their parents) playing today are suffering from the mistakes of the past.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. Make no mistake. The ARU are in no position to bail out anyone. This money will be for them only.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Wow. Way to punish the successful junior clubs - GPS and Easts will be ARU goldmines!

Incidentally I'd love to support any pie drives or lamington drives that any junior club does to offset these additional fees.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Maybe the registration fee is higher for union because unlike AFL and Rugby League, the majority of Union players do not come from disadvantaged backgrounds. I would say nearly 80% off inner city junior rugby clubs, the players would come from private schools. I don't want to come across as a snob, but that's the way how I see it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The difference is that AFL and League see juniors as the future. This administration of the ARU seem them as a cash cow.

I work at a Club where 80% of the players don't go to private school. Their parents can't afford any increase in fees. I received a call from the QRU a few weeks ago about strategies to get money out of the QLD Gov Get Started program as we had one of the highest take up in the state, my response was for clubs to get more disadvantaged players. A Club like Brothers wouldn't even know the program existed as they would have no need for it.

Everyone talks about appealing to migrants from NZ and Pacific Islands as they have a connection with rugby. Increasing the fees at Clubs won't help this. And it won't be this year that the fees will be raised as the ARU announced it after sign-on fees had beeb set, it will be 2015.

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
Okay so lets step back and have a look at this from a number of angles.
The first I want to consider is what benefit is there to junior rugby union clubs to pay this levy. What do the ARU provide in return for this $20 per player? I am going to suggest not a lot. Don't tell me the Wallabies, cos that is a separate entity (according to St John O'Neill in his memoirs) full of employees. And a marketing tool.
I don't think we can really say that they manage the sport, cos they seem to be regularly in financial dire straits. can someone shed some light here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
Another question is about financial management of the union itself. Why do we keep seeing the financial woes cropping up again and again? In the corporate world , where there is at least a modicum of directorial responsibility , we would at least see some blood on the boardroom floor. Who represents the stakeholders here? Are there too many snouts in the trough perhaps? Do we need a better class of snout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.